PDA

View Full Version : scsi

Henry
January 19th, 2009, 11:22
thats not the same as sata is it?
H

waco
January 19th, 2009, 13:15
Henry, here's more than you'll ever want to know. I always thought SCSI was associated with SATA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI

stansdds
January 20th, 2009, 01:50
Nope, SCSI and SATA are not the same.

srgalahad
January 25th, 2009, 12:31
butttttttt...

If you are setting up a RAID array, depending on the method and hardware, you may see your drives described as SCSI because of the RAID controller.

eg. My RAID is controlled by an nVidia Media Shield controller so once the drives are installed they (SATA II Spinpoints) are listed as "SCSI"

Oh for the times when life was simple..
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\run
Run DOS run

Collin
January 25th, 2009, 13:50
Oh for the times when life was simple..
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\run
Run DOS run

Oh Lord yes......cload

regards Collin:ernae:

Henry
January 27th, 2009, 05:14
My sata drives are listed as scsi in the hardware section
but they are sata
i am familiar with scsi drives as i have a few
it just confused me
cheers
H

srgalahad
January 29th, 2009, 09:00
My sata drives are listed as scsi in the hardware section
but they are sata

H

Yep Henry... your mobo probably has a RAID controller so the drives run through it. Confused me too when I looked through my new box and found one SCSI drive but the drive p/n showed a SATAII. When I installed the two drives for my RAID 0 they came up the same way so I just said "oh well" and went ahead. RAID was originally written requiring SCSI drives (was the only way to get the throughput in the days of ATA33/66/100 drives/controllers) so I guess it really IS a SCSI controller that now accepts SATA drives ---duh

I realize that somewhere in the universe there's a web page or manual that explains how this came about but tech writers always assume you know what they know so never provide background info and leave it to us poor SOBs to dig it out.

Rob