PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Top Flight Sim Sites Listing

GarryJSmith
January 24th, 2014, 16:45
Hi good people,</SPAN>

I have finally reached my frustration point after years of tolerating the cheating that has been going on at http://www.worldwidetopsites.com (http://www.worldwidetopsites.com/) - many formal complaints to the administrators and some times some action that resolves it for a short while, but the terrible seven just keep on pushing themselves to the top of the list - in batch voting bursts.</SPAN>

I strongly believe that there is a need for a site that lists the Top 100 Flight Sim sites that have been voted into their positions by honest and well managed processes. A site that can have credibility and achieve a meaningful list of user voted excellent resources available to the simming community.</SPAN>

Therefore, I have set up a new site - http://topflightsimsite.gotop100.com/ to try to create the foundations of an appropriately managed web site servicing the simming community with a meaningful list of resources that simmers believe is relevant to their needs.</SPAN>

Yes, it could be inferred that I have self motivation for this new site - of course I have, 4 major sites related to flight simming under my management.</SPAN>

However, I am willing to hand over the entire thing to a person who can afford the time to police the "applicants" and eliminate the cheats or false applications not related to providing a genuine resource to the simming community.</SPAN>

This would require prompt responses to application requests - at least a daily sweep of the participants to ensure that all is above board and no obvious cheating is taking place - despite some heavy code up front some can find ways around it. Vigilance would be required almost on a daily basis.</SPAN>

I have absolutely no problems in my sites being anywhere within the list - as long as all participating sites are all in positions fairly and honestly voted to be in their positions within the list. </SPAN>

In a nutshell, three things:</SPAN>

(1) - Need someone who has the time to take over the administration of the site and to manage it to ensure that the simming community has a quality list of the best resources available to the simming community.</SPAN>

(2) - Need genuine service provider web sites (of which there are thousands) to add their sites to the listing - simply click on the "Add Your site" or "Your site here" text links all over the place on http://topflightsimsite.gotop100.com/ Takes about 10 minutes to fill in the application and even less to add a button with link to vote for their web page.</SPAN>

This list can be expanded to Top 200 as/if required. And the list resets every 60 days - but that can be changed if needed.</SPAN>

3) - most importantly - need simmers to recognise that their vote is important to the entire simming community - their opinion counts and all simmers benefit with access to a genuine quality resource listing.</SPAN>

OK - off my soap box - interesting in comments and feedback to this thread.</SPAN>

Regards Garry J. Smith</SPAN>
</SPAN>

zswobbie1
January 24th, 2014, 21:17
Gary, thanks so much for all you have done for us. You have uplifted our hobby to such great hights with your fascinating add-ons. Your integrity has always been without reproach and I put you up in the hallowed halls with Milton, the Bill's, Piglet and so many other freeware artists than have made us grin and expand our interests. I wish you 'Happy Landings' with this listing.

n4gix
January 25th, 2014, 04:47
It's interesting to discover that despite over fifteen years of being heavily involved with Flight Simulation, I've never even heard of this Top 100 List, nor oddly enough none of the so-called "Top Six" sites... :dizzy:

I have at least heard the names Icarusgold, Mike Stone, GJSmith, and FSDome, but honestly have never to my knowledge ever visited them.

What I find most interesting however is that none of those sites I consider among the absolute Top Ten are even listed at all. Said list to include SimOuthouse, AVSIM, FS Developer, and Flightsim.com... :encouragement:

Dangerousdave26
January 25th, 2014, 06:16
Here is what I find interesting.

Of the top 10 on the list 6 of them are the same server. They are probably all run by the same individual. I will let you guess who that might be.

Official name: simnetwork.com
IP address: 72.232.147.122

Official name: fsxnews.com

Official name: fsmarket.com
IP address: 69.43.161.171

Official name: fsairforce.com

Official name: fsxfs2004downloads.com

Official name: simnetwork.net

Official name: icarusgold.com

Official name: FSdome.com
IP address: 85.114.135.36

Official name: fsimzone.com
IP address: 74.50.0.195

Official name: aviationexplorer.com
IP address: 173.201.145.128

I will be honest I could not objectively manage such a project. I have a substantial amount of disdain for some other websites in our community.

Good Luck with finding the right person to handle this task. It would be nice I am sure for a new flight simulator enthusiast to have an accurate list.

No Dice
January 25th, 2014, 10:37
Thanks Gary, I agree with you

I am on may way to sign up, anywhwere in the top 200 will be fine with me.

Thank you for your efforts,

Dave

GarryJSmith
January 25th, 2014, 12:34
Hi good people,

Yes I absolutely agree - there is the core essential service providers - AVSIM, FlightSim.com - SOH - Simviation to name a just a few. Many flight sim sites out there provide a very high quality of support to the simming community. And a hell of a lot provide "questionable" services.

But how do novice/new simmers find the good ones - what reference do they have to their quality and integrity to service the community. Many new patrons and even old simmers find the magic sites by chance or word of mouth.

What I am trying to do is get a genuine list of "user voted" reliable and excellent resources for all simmers to enjoy - generated in order of their excellence and services provided in accordance with the views of the simming community.

If we can get a genuine list of the big service providers and the small service provider we can all benefit in knowing that a central top xxx exist.

Those who provide what they believe is a valued service to the community are welcome to join the list - and their patrons vote meaningfully, it will hopefully all mature to a valuable reference.

Then we all have contributed to the enrichment of our hobby and help all within our hobby to gain value from the big cloud of "Flight Sim Stuff" out there.

Just need the great sites out there to do a modicum of work to add the vote button to their site and then we can move forward to building a valued resource for all simmers new and old to enjoy.

So spread the word - help me to help you and the millions of simmers out there - the more genuine/good sites we have aboard the better the resource list will be.

Regards

hairyspin
January 26th, 2014, 12:00
SimNotWork? :stupid: I may have heard of that one waaayyyyy back, think someone didn't recommend it. Something to do with the standard of Engrish writted or spoked or sum'ting. :very_drunk: :untroubled:

That said, a rank noob might be a trifle suspicious seeing how many on the WorldWideTopSites listing have heavy disclaimers on their entries and if he scrolled down to number 19 tonight he might roll on the floor laughing. Professional? I think not. :biggrin-new:

GarryJSmith
January 26th, 2014, 13:17
Hi Hairyspin,

Those of us that have been around flight simming for a while ultimately learn , often the hard way, which Flight Sim Sites offer community value and which sites are not quiet reputable or even outright dangerous in various ways.

I am hoping to created a web site top 100 sort of listing that lists for all simmers a group of sites that the simming community recommends by their votes as genuine comunity enriching sites. Covering all of the various facets of our simming hobby - both FREE and Commercial Sites are welcome.

For this to be successful it needs the sites to join and participate (with a vote button) and the simmers to vote for those that they believe provide a value to their simming experience.

There have been many attempts over the years to create such a listing but most seem to loose focus and often fail to meaningfully administer the listings - allowing cheating and just about anything to be on their sites.

You may note that I have 4 listings - on http://www.worldwidetopsites.com/sites/flightsim.html - all declaring that the site does not administer their site and permits cheating. No reaction..... Not a good service for simmers looking for a good resource listing.

As I have mentioned, I really am only trying to create a resource list that can provide a meaningful guideline for simmers to use to get value from their hobby and to try to help them avoid the various pitfalls we long timers have had to experience.

It would be, I believe, a great resource if sites and simmers participated in creating this resource - even better if someone/or group took over the management of this resource listing and provided a well administered and frequently maintained the resource list.

At the moment, it appears bios to my managed sites - simply because not many sites have taken the opportunity to participate - but the more that participate the more likely we will have a mature and meaningful resource for us all to enjoy.

Also, I have absolutely no hesitation in handing over the entire management of the http://topflightsimsite.gotop100.com/ site to administer if they want to put in the time and effort to administer it all - hopefully for a long term run.

Please bear in mind I am just trying to create a meaningful resource for all of us to enjoy and depend on as a reference to the best of the best for our community.

Regards and happy simming.

No Dice
January 26th, 2014, 13:27
Garry,
The site is only hours old, I am sure that within a week or two you may have to change to the top 200 sites.

Your efforts are appreciated by all.

Dave

Dangerousdave26
January 28th, 2014, 06:33
Garry

I am wondering what the "In" and "Out" stand for on your website ranking.

and I got my vote in for here. I can also vote at the other sites once they get their voting buttons up or can I only vote at one site.

No Dice
January 28th, 2014, 06:51
DDave,

I am pretty sure than when you voted ( came in from a website) that is an in count, when you leave the top 100 by clicking on a sites banner, that is an out count.

Not sure about that multi vote thing though.

GarryJSmith
January 28th, 2014, 11:19
Hi Gentlemen,

The In number is the counted votes - the Out number is the counted clicks to that site from within the listing. Yes you can vote for other sites as you browse around and visit others.

It is not a competition for first place - more a gathering into one place all of the good sites that are safe and provide to the simming community quality services and support.

Though some will see it as a bit of a competition - who doesn't want to be first every now and again - but after it calms down I am hoping to have a Best of the Best list that has been generated by the simming community for the simming community - a list of great sites that other simmers can use with confidence.

I am going to leave this forum by giving a vote to SOH - good banner placement. :-)

Regards

Dangerousdave26
January 28th, 2014, 12:43
Glad to hear. If I had only one vote it would be here. Since I have more coming there are a couple other sites that need to pony up with a banner link so I can click it. :very_drunk:

cough cough flightsim.com and avsim.com

GarryJSmith
January 28th, 2014, 16:28
They and other major sites have all been personally invited to join the listing - awaiting their responses. :wavey:

MCDesigns
January 29th, 2014, 19:07
It's interesting to discover that despite over fifteen years of being heavily involved with Flight Simulation, I've never even heard of this Top 100 List, nor oddly enough none of the so-called "Top Six" sites... :dizzy:

I have at least heard the names Icarusgold, Mike Stone, GJSmith, and FSDome, but honestly have never to my knowledge ever visited them.

What I find most interesting however is that none of those sites I consider among the absolute Top Ten are even listed at all. Said list to include SimOuthouse, AVSIM, FS Developer, and Flightsim.com... :encouragement:

Couldn't agree more. I look at the lists and it seems to be a who's, who of older FS2002 and 2004 type addons. I rarely visited Mike Stones site back when he was developing. There are quite a few sites I don't visit at all due to pirated files, rude/condescending staff/supporters or other factors that are popular to others, like AirdailyX, Simviation and flyawaysimulation. Main stops for me are here, AVSIM, FSdeveloper and Hiovercontrol with occasional stops at the Aerosoft forums, the MilViz forums, and the ORBX forums to see whats being worked on.

If the goal of this is for new members to find relevant and helpful info, most on the list need to be updated..

GarryJSmith
January 29th, 2014, 19:39
Concur with your outlook in some cases.

However, the site is very new and will mature as the other quality service provides come on board. As for the implied lean towards any particular flight sim platform - that is something that is not controlled by the listing - patrons (voters) have chosen it to be that way.

There are a great deal of "Single" platform users and possibly a far greater number that use "multiple" simming products - all voters have the right to vote to their preferences and assist the community to identify the best of any of the platforms available in their view.

I am sure that we will occassionally have "voting frenzies" for various "pet" sites every now and again - but all will even out over time - remember the list is reset regularly to give all an even starting platform and to iron out the "frenzies" every now and again.

But most importantly - irrespective of where a site is on the list - everytime someone votes for a site they are presented with a list of GOOD and SAFE sites for them to check out to meet their needs. Sites that have been establish and supported by the community as a valuable resource.

So - please bear in mind - the Top Site is only 5 day old now - and new sites are applying for membership at a slow but steady rate at the moment - but as credibility and faith in the ethics and ethos of the site and participants more will come aboard - both simmers and service providers will ultimately have a reliable resource for their benefit.

If you think a particular good service site is missing out - do your bit for the community and encourage those sites to join the list - it gives them a FREE advertisment for their site and allows their patrons to vote for their quality of service.

I have already canvassed quiet a few sites - but that would be a small fraction of what is out there......

Don't sit back and critique about what's missing - prompt your favourite sites to participate - cannot do them any harm and they are also contributing by linking to a growing value list of other safe and genuine service providers for our hobby.

Regards

Helldiver
February 3rd, 2014, 19:25
I looked hard but could not find any way to contact you on the Ford Trimotor site. But's it may be interesting to know the first plane I saw flying over was a Ford Trimotor. I was playing in my yard in Salem Masachusetts and it was on the landing path for Boston Airport. (Now Logan) I found out later that it was American Airlines, because of the black paint on the leading edge of the wings. I've been hooked on aviation since. This was about 1931. My first flight was in a Curtiss Jenny on floats flying out of the Merrimac River in Lawrence. My Grandfater gave me a treat during the depression. I was only five at the time.

GarryJSmith
February 3rd, 2014, 20:02
Thanks Helldriver,

Enjoyed hearing about your introduction to flight - my first induction into flight was when a RAAF F86 Sabre crashing into an area in our neighbourhood one stormy night. Three mates and I, of course as young ones, could not resist running over to the crash site and having a look - pilot had ejected - unfortunately unsuccessfully - but we four grabbed this big wheel and was rolling it down the street to take it home - got sprung by the police who made us take it back :-(

That for some strange reason focussed me on Flight, aircraft and the RAAF - first major job was to join the RAAF at 18 and did 20+ years - then off into private enterprises and galivanting all over the world for various companies for almost another 15 years. Then retired to enjoy my hobby in simming.

Anyway we digress - back to the Top Flight Sim Site stuff. Still maturing - still a lack of some of the big sites participating - but site slowly growing - please keep encouraging good sites to become part of the listing - we will all benefit from that and they benefit by being listed with the Best of the Best.

Regards

Garry