PDA

View Full Version : NAS Oceana for FSX (and P3DV2)...any interest?

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2014, 04:03
SOH member Jmbiii responded to my interest in converting John Stinstrom's FS9 NAS Oceana scenery - for FSX (and, if possible, I would like to see it compatible with P3DV2?). The latter may not be possible, but hey, never hurts to ask!

John S . did reply to my email last evening, saying it would be just fine if someone wants to convert it.

Don't know why I hadn't noticed this omission from FSX before. John, Falcon, and Jim D., create outstanding military base sceneries! I do NOT mean to omit anyone! I appreciate the talents of everyone who create addons for this fantastic hobby!

Random thought.....has a static F-4 ever been done as a scenery object? Am envisioning the flight line at Oceana filled with Phantoms AND Intruders!

Turn and Burn,

Navy Chief

henrystreet
January 18th, 2014, 04:50
Would love to see this one.

Henry

HansRoaming
January 18th, 2014, 05:15
That would rock!

According to the Owls nest there are a number of F-4's that have been done for the Military AI works scenery packages, http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/maiw.php

Iain

Dman
January 18th, 2014, 05:55
+1 for me!!!

Felixthreeone
January 18th, 2014, 06:15
+1! As long as the ADE or AFX can be made to work with MAIW parking....

Steven190
January 18th, 2014, 06:41
That would be good.
I was stationed at NAS Oceana in the 1966, until we went to Viet Nam

look forward to it

thanks

dhazelgrove
January 18th, 2014, 06:50
Random thought.....has a static F-4 ever been done as a scenery object? Am envisioning the flight line at Oceana filled with Phantoms AND Intruders!

Turn and Burn,

Navy Chief

Surely AI aircraft would be better - if the skins exist.
I've found that Michael Pearson's aircraft work just fine in FSX.

Dave

spins_vmfa321
January 18th, 2014, 07:20
SOH member Jmbiii responded to my interest in converting John Stinstrom's FS9 NAS Oceana scenery - for FSX (and, if possible, I would like to see it compatible with P3DV2?). The latter may not be possible, but hey, never hurts to ask!

John S . did reply to my email last evening, saying it would be just fine if someone wants to convert it.

Don't know why I hadn't noticed this omission from FSX before. John, Falcon, and Jim D., create outstanding military base sceneries! I do NOT mean to omit anyone! I appreciate the talents of everyone who create addons for this fantastic hobby!

Turn and Burn,

Navy Chief

Didn't get a chance to read this whole thread, but I've got static low res Intruder, F-4, and TA-4J from the FSX Blue Angels scenery that I worked on. Let me know if you all need them for the project.

spatialpro
January 18th, 2014, 08:48
+1 from me here too.

I'm happy to do the photoscenery and blended terrain (no flatten needed, so no cliff edges) and autogen if required...

airattackimages
January 18th, 2014, 09:28
+1 for the master jet base Atlantic!

sepp666
January 18th, 2014, 10:09
+1

Home of the Grim Reapers!!!!!!!
(I think it would be great if the textures would suit ftx global)

http://www7.pic-upload.de/18.01.14/t61tfpp4qqkw.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-21990295/158627-november-1999.jpg.html)

Odie
January 18th, 2014, 12:22
Oh yeah! That would be great!

falcon409
January 18th, 2014, 12:36
Pete, Guy Diotte has done a long list of static, low poly aircraft that really do well in scenery like this. He's even done a few repaints for his F-16's for me to match the 301st in FW scheme. Search his name on flightsim.com. . .probably several pages or more of his aircraft.

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2014, 13:01
Pete, Guy Diotte has done a long list of static, low poly aircraft that really do well in scenery like this. He's even done a few repaints for his F-16's for me to match the 301st in FW scheme. Search his name on flightsim.com. . .probably several pages or more of his aircraft.

Thanks Ed! Sent you a PM. I think I have seen most of Guy D's static models. I did see a Phantom listed, but looked like it was only camouflage USAF colors. Pete

modelr
January 18th, 2014, 15:16
Put my vote in for this scenery!! :applause:

Wingnut172N
January 19th, 2014, 09:01
Love the idea, any chance of a NAS Oceana with current AI traffic as well though? IE only Rhinos and Chucks plus maybe a C-40 or PC-12 occasionally?

Victory103
January 19th, 2014, 19:09
WingNut, use the link in HansRoaming's post for non-MAIW squadrons at NTU. There are 2 MAIW packages to put 106 and 12 on the ramp, they rest are done by other repainters, so you need all the NBAI models to get both legacy and Supers. I'm running a modern set up for AI in my sim and actually pull the squadrons out when they go on cruise on both coasts. I purchased FS Repaint to try to keep up with the CAG's, but my lack of time and skill at repainting slows that down.

sepp666
January 19th, 2014, 22:04

Turn and Burn,

Navy Chief

What about F-14? I hope that they will be included also?

http://www7.pic-upload.de/20.01.14/5y832fsuargl.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-22007147/NAS_Oceana.jpg.html)

http://www7.pic-upload.de/20.01.14/rttcwunc1vs.jpg (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-22007143/F-4-F-14.jpg.html)

Dino Cattaneo
January 19th, 2014, 23:14
+1 from me (but I think it was obvious!)

MaxLegroom
January 20th, 2014, 18:39
It would go real well with my Norfolk International and Langley AFB sceneries, now if someone would only cover Norfolk NAS and Newport News Williamsburg International, I'd be set!

p14u2nv
January 20th, 2014, 22:07
Count me in also. What an excellent idea. The more military bases in FSXA the better imho. Nice home for Dino's latest F-14. Really looking forward to this one, my thanks in advance Navy Chief.

Don't forget the Coast Guard Base on Wormley Creek in Yorktown Max.

:unitedstates:

navy81
January 21st, 2014, 04:29
This is a great idea (as i am literally 6 miles off the extended centerline of NTU runway 5/23)
Would be nice to have a retro set for Oceana as well.
There are a number of Phantom repaints for Fernando Martinez's AI F-4B and F-4C conversion at FlightSim. Search on Phantom AI. The original AI model is f4b_for_bige.zip, and ai_f4c.zip.
As far as i could tell, there were repaints for every Oceana and Miramar based phantoms.
Now, if anyone could find an AI intruder....

Cheers.
Deke (Navy81)

dhazelgrove
January 21st, 2014, 07:42
This is a great idea (as i am literally 6 miles off the extended centerline of NTU runway 5/23)
Would be nice to have a retro set for Oceana as well.
There are a number of Phantom repaints for Fernando Martinez's AI F-4B and F-4C conversion at FlightSim. Search on Phantom AI. The original AI model is f4b_for_bige.zip, and ai_f4c.zip.
As far as i could tell, there were repaints for every Oceana and Miramar based phantoms.
Now, if anyone could find an AI intruder....

Cheers.
Deke (Navy81)

Unfortunately, the FM Phantoms don't look good in FSX. The Michael Pearson models are much better.

Dave

Navy Chief
January 21st, 2014, 07:53
Sep666's post had a cool photo of Hornets on the flightline, along with a squadron of Tomcats overhead.

That begs a question. Recently, a AI B-17 formation was made available for download. Sooooo, I naturally am wondering if similar formation files with other aircraft could be made? If so, I envision Corsair IIs, Intruders, Phantoms, ....even Vigilantes! NC

dhazelgrove
January 22nd, 2014, 02:26
Sep666's post had a cool photo of Hornets on the flightline, along with a squadron of Tomcats overhead.

That begs a question. Recently, a AI B-17 formation was made available for download. Sooooo, I naturally am wondering if similar formation files with other aircraft could be made? If so, I envision Corsair IIs, Intruders, Phantoms, ....even Vigilantes! NC

There's a little utility that might be of interest here: FSX AI Formation Toys - Version 4

I can't remember where I got it, but it might do the job. Only 4 aircraft at a time, but it's a start.

From the readme:

Contacting the Author
If you have comments or suggestions please send eMail to:
jerry@mudpond.org

Dave

Navy Chief
January 22nd, 2014, 03:05
There's a little utility that might be of interest here: FSX AI Formation Toys - Version 4

I can't remember where I got it, but it might do the job. Only 4 aircraft at a time, but it's a start.

From the readme:
Contacting the Author
If you have comments or suggestions please send eMail to:
jerry@mudpond.org

Dave

THANKS Dave! Pete

dhazelgrove
January 23rd, 2014, 03:23
We also need some MCAS bases, while we're in the mood.

El Toro? Where else can I put VMFP-3?

Dave

uniform7
January 24th, 2014, 17:38
I have a nice setup at Oceana in FS9 from MAIW and my own for FSX except the MAIW Tomcats cannot fix the black canopy. Anyone know how to achieve this? The Sundown package has several liveries but I am using the F-18's since the textures are more transparent. Have the Nimitz off shore by the oil rig complete with AI F4's and A7's that actually arrest in the trap zone. Yes, Oceana is one of my favorite spots since I grew up in Hampton and Langley AFB in the 70's.