PDA

View Full Version : Night lighting in CFS2?

Blood_Hawk23
January 13th, 2014, 12:40
Are we able to give structures light maps in CFS2?

If so how?

I have a couple that I would like to do it too. one is a light house in Denmark.

Do think that would be the best way. Or would it be better to add an blinking light effect. out side of runway lights I have not seen any lighted buildings.

Any Ideas?

Robert John
January 13th, 2014, 12:56
Gmax can do night textures but it takes a bit of messing around with the asm code.
EOD does it, lods a problem for me and other users of the program, I know it possible,
fsds does it.
With gmax you can use _bright material that works but stays bright during the daytime.
I have a little time to help but not a lot.
Robert

Shadow Wolf 07
January 13th, 2014, 13:14
I'm not sure if they light, but Usio has lighthouses on his "other" page: http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/index.htm

Blood_Hawk23
January 13th, 2014, 13:54
I'm not sure if they light, but Usio has lighthouses on his "other" page: http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/index.htm

Thank you Shadow Wolf. He had the light effects farther down.

Blood_Hawk23
January 13th, 2014, 14:04
Robert, I can send you my source for my buildings. maybe we can figure something out.

kelticheart
January 14th, 2014, 01:08
Hi Blood_Hawk23,

Maskrider/Lindsay Watts' object library has light poles that light up at night and Simonu (I think) uploaded a generic runway lighting infrastructure that I used successfully several times.

Don't forget curfew rules during WWII! Nights from 1939 to 1945 were very dark to prevent nocturnal air raids, civilians who did not observe it were severely reprimanded and fined in Allied countries. In Axis-occupied territories people who forgot to blot out a candle light at night could be very easily sent in front of a firing squad.
It happened here more than once.

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Blood_Hawk23
January 14th, 2014, 08:55
i'm thinking more of wwi time frame and a bit farther east of the western front. I thought it would be nice to do a couple Danish houses with the lights on. or at least the lighthouse.

Shadow Wolf 07
January 14th, 2014, 10:01
Hi Blood_Hawk23,

Maskrider/Lindsay Watts' object library has light poles that light up at night and Simonu (I think) uploaded a generic runway lighting infrastructure that I used successfully several times.

Don't forget curfew rules during WWII! Nights from 1939 to 1945 were very dark to prevent nocturnal air raids, civilians who did not observe it were severely reprimanded and fined in Allied countries. In Axis-occupied territories people who forgot to blot out a candle light at night could be very easily sent in front of a firing squad.
It happened here more than once.

Cheers!

Yes, I had forgotten about the MR/LW light posts and the FSSC runway lights function.

Blood_Hawk23
January 14th, 2014, 15:45
Robert sent me an animated version of my lighthouse. It looks great. Thank You Robert.

sadly the model I sent him has issues that i don't like. so we may have to recreat it. thats what i get for repurpousing Sketchup models. so I have to fix this then make the textures.

how do you make the lights function only at night. I know in FS2002 an on its a light map which works like what we have for the damaged buildings. is that some thing i can add in the textures?

I may have to look at the light poles and see if I can learn anything.

simonu
January 17th, 2014, 16:14
CFS2 doesn't use light maps like FS2002 does, but lights can be coded with scasm , that electrical infrastructure pack (LINK) (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=17&id=11393) I did includes the source file, you should take a look at that and see how they work.

Blood_Hawk23
January 22nd, 2014, 16:57
I have finaly animated the light on my lighthouse. now I'm working on the effects.

simonu,
I'll look every everything and see what I can learn. Robert John has pointed me to a post that him and Rumpaflappy had at another forum. Its given me an idea or two. not sure how to compile it once I'm finished. seeing how I have to edit the asm files. but hopfully i'll get there.

Once i have textures on my model I'll share pictures.

Blood_Hawk23
February 1st, 2014, 17:40
Shessi,

How were the searchlights made in your searchlight and city fires pack?

They do not export with modelconverterx so i can't see them except in game.

I was thinking about making some for WWI missions.

maybe see if i can make a few vehicles with some on them.

Just a thought right now.

Till Later,
John

Blood_Hawk23
February 2nd, 2014, 23:45
Here is a pick of the light house. I'm still working on it.

Its not fully textured. Though I did start. The white is not a material. I'm still trying to get it all figured out. The animations are finished. Thanks to RJs help. I'm still working on the Light.

kelticheart
February 3rd, 2014, 00:32
Here is a pick of the light house. I'm still working on it. Its not fully textured. Though I did start. The white is not a material. I'm still trying to get it all figured out. The animations are finished. Thanks to RJs help. I'm still working on the Light.

Lovely! :encouragement: :applause:

Keep on truckin'! :running:

Cheers!

Blood_Hawk23
February 3rd, 2014, 13:26
the lighting works. though I'm not completely happy with how it looks. I don't have the textures add yet. They are still a work in progress. I also have to do the LODs.

You can see it in the top of the picture.

So there is the progress.

Robert John
February 4th, 2014, 11:07
For simple buildings EOD will give you night maps, fsds will also, and a few other programs, but not GMAX yet.Send anything you like will look at them, sorry I have not responded about at static aircraft, too many Polys and no LOD IMHO.RJ

Blood_Hawk23
February 4th, 2014, 12:11
For simple buildings EOD will give you night maps, fsds will also, and a few other programs, but not GMAX yet.Send anything you like will look at them, sorry I have not responded about at static aircraft, too many Polys and no LOD IMHO.RJ

RJ are you looking at the finished models or the ones I sent?

Sarg Willy
February 4th, 2014, 19:57
Off topic , but I,ll toss it out here , You can change ship model specularity to make em stand out better for nite raids , but do back up the model for daytime use ,

A lot of the ships built have the collusion bubble outa wack , in other words you can fly through the bow or stern , with out a problem , tough on the Kamakasi pilots ,
You can visually ck for sizing by using the preview window and borrowing an airfile from Liberty ship driver ,
The bow and stearn should be just inside the preview window , too big or too small needs adjustment ,

Robert John
February 5th, 2014, 00:06
RJ are you looking at the finished models or the ones I sent?

Only TBF_Advenger-gmax as a static aircraft.
Keep up all the good work we never stop learning.
RJ

Blood_Hawk23
February 5th, 2014, 09:52
Gmax does have a place for night map textures. Its in the material under maps. What would happen if you add one there?

Robert John
February 6th, 2014, 07:34
Gmax does have a place for night map textures. Its in the material under maps. What would happen if you add one there
No idea.

I can do night maps for fs2002, fs2004, using gmax but I just can not do it for cfs2 using gmax, I believe it's the way it cfs2 engine works.3d programs that uses points instead of vertices and loadbitmap command and polytex do work.There may be a way using gmax and a lot of people have tried with little success.I will still be working on this problem but not for a while.I am also looking at a way to use EOD and compile the models with lod's