PDA

View Full Version : Mac Owners Tips and Tricks Blog

Lionheart
January 18th, 2009, 21:35
Hey guys,

I thought I would start a thread on tips and tricks for Mac owners. If you have some cool tips for Mac owners, here is the place to post them.

First one is; If you have a new Mac, and when in Windows mode, find that the F keys (like F1, F4, etc) are linked to the hardware controls, such as screen brightness, volume, etc, and you need this for FS for flaps control, mixture, throttle, etc, there is an easy fix.

In Windows mode, Go to the gray square Boot Camp icon in the toolbar
Right click and select Open Boot Camp Control Panel
Select Top Tab called 'Keyboard'
Select 'Use F Keys'

Note that this will require you to use the F/N key with the F keys in order to manage the 'hardware' adjustment controls, such as volume, brightness, etc.

Also, Boot Camp 2.1 is now out. If you have an early version, you might update. Its an EXE file, so download it in Windows mode and then activate it. (EXE files do not run in Apple mode).

Also, for guys that do screenshots and need the screenshot key and on your Apple you note that you do not have a key assigned as PrintScreen, use F14. That is the assigned Windows PrintScreen button.

:typing:

Bill

aeronca1
January 19th, 2009, 05:54
Thanks Bill. If I ever get a new Mac... I do however love restoring and playing with the older Macs. My latest restoration project is a PowerBook 180. Once upon a time, THE Mac laptop :wiggle:

hey_moe
January 19th, 2009, 06:40
Hi Bill, I guess as you have seen on the net, there isn't much tweaking or hacks for the OS or the pooter. Apple is stable and fast. I did like you did and did some surfing only to find out there isn't that much info on hacking Apple.

Lionheart
January 19th, 2009, 08:03
Hi Bill, I guess as you have seen on the net, there isn't much tweaking or hacks for the OS or the pooter. Apple is stable and fast. I did like you did and did some surfing only to find out there isn't that much info on hacking Apple.

Hey Moe,

Roger that. I meant only for learning how all the systems work really. Not the hacking stuff. (Though it would be nice to learn how to install Apple on a regular PC, lol.. I have 2 shells here that need a good OS. I think a computer (PC) would need something in it though to tell the OS its an apple though).

But that aside, nah, just shortcuts and system improvements, etc.

I have been hanging out at the discussions.apple.com forums. No one seemed to know how to get the F keys working. They had me going to websites for programs on rewriting the keys config in windows, lol.. Finially found it myself in Boot Camp, hiding right in front of me... arrghh.. :banghead:

Hey Aeronca1,

Sounds like fun! So many vintage units on Ebay these days. Someday, they will be relics and go for high prices, like vintage radios from the early 1900's, there were so many, and now most are gone. Fine working ones go for a very good penny.

Bill

codeseven
January 19th, 2009, 19:01
Cool idea, thanks Bill.

The graphics driver that comes with your Mac are usually outdated. Here are a couple of places to find newer ones. I haven't got around to trying other drivers yet (mine are the Boot Camp 2.1 Update version 176.44), so if you try a different driver or are already using a different graphics driver than the one that came with your new Mac, then let us know.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Lionheart
January 19th, 2009, 23:22
Cool idea, thanks Bill.

The graphics driver that comes with your Mac are usually outdated. Here are a couple of places to find newer ones. I haven't got around to trying other drivers yet (mine are the Boot Camp 2.1 Update version 176.44), so if you try a different driver or are already using a different graphics driver than the one that came with your new Mac, then let us know.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Many thanks CodeSeven.

Mine has an ATI (desktop unit), the ATI Radeon Mobility 2600XT. Was parusing for updates for it 2 days ago. Went with the new 2.1 Boot Camp update instead. (has drivers in the package).

In talking with my tech, I learned that the new iMac alum flat panel 'can' have the graphics card changed out for a more powerful one. Planning on that. He says its a delicate surgery.. Logic board must be removed, as the GC is under it.. (Logic Board = Mobo).

Bill

Lionheart
January 19th, 2009, 23:23
Here is a cool website on tons of things you can do with your Mac.

http://www.maclife.com/article/40_ways_your_mac_can_improve_your_life

One is a freeware alarm clock which can do quite a few things, from stop watch to slow calm wake-ups with music of your choice..

Bill

Splat
January 20th, 2009, 14:36
Hey Moe,

Roger that. I meant only for learning how all the systems work really. Not the hacking stuff. (Though it would be nice to learn how to install Apple on a regular PC, lol.. I have 2 shells here that need a good OS. I think a computer (PC) would need something in it though to tell the OS its an apple though).

But that aside, nah, just shortcuts and system improvements, etc.

I have been hanging out at the discussions.apple.com forums. No one seemed to know how to get the F keys working. They had me going to websites for programs on rewriting the keys config in windows, lol.. Finially found it myself in Boot Camp, hiding right in front of me... arrghh.. :banghead:

Bill

Ask and you shall receive:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=85

Bob :jump:

Lionheart
January 20th, 2009, 16:26
Hey Bob,

Many thanks Sir.

I have to say, I am already an official member. I have been visiting there alot in the past several months, since some young guys found out how to run quite a few Windows games 'in' Mac mode. (I am hoping they can figure out how to run FS9 and FSX in it as well).

Bill

Lionheart
January 20th, 2009, 18:32
For any that are learning OSX, there are some cool shortcuts for manuvering through the OS.

As you know, Find is the main 'OS search or navigation engine, similar to Windows Explorer. Mac have Find set right on the Dock. You can Bring up Find in several of its modes, from 'Apps' (applications or programs section/list), to overall computer which includes HD's, etc). To access these, use Control/Command C for 'Computer version of Find'
Control/Command A for 'Apps'
etc..

Now, if you are in various programs and wish to hide things, you can use Command H to hide a program you are in. Going through Command H several times will clear your Desktop.

To 'minimize' a program (hide it on the dock), punch in Command M. Note that you cannot bring it back up with a shortcut. You'll need to use Mouse to click on it and bring it back to screen mode. (Something fun, click on the program that is minimized, while holding down Shift and the program pops up in ultra slow mode).

To scan through what programs you are running, use Command Tab and 'tab tab tab' through the program list to the one you are using. If you have programs hidden, they can be brought back up with this method. (Not for minimized programs though). This is great for devs or chatters, when you are running multiple programs and having to jump around.

I find the less time you 'mouse' the better. Being able to 'shortcut' things really saves tons of time overall.

I can tell you though that hiding things via shortcuts can really get addictive.. For working in WinXP, if you want to hid something (Minimize it), try Alt Spacekey, and Alt N.. Do that in quick order several times in WinXP and you will have cleared your Desktop. vista (cough cough) can clear it fully like Apple's OSX can, which I think is a nice feature.... (revolutionary baby!)

Bill

Chacha
January 21st, 2009, 16:11
WOW!

Thanks for the info! Checking it out right now!

Eli :typing: