PDA

View Full Version : Texture="default.tga"

gosd
January 6th, 2014, 20:42
Looking at the effects.xml I noticed that some texture have a .tga instead of .dds.
What is this and where are the .tga located?

Daiwilletti
January 7th, 2014, 14:50
Looking at the effects.xml I noticed that some texture have a .tga instead of .dds.
What is this and where are the .tga located?

Hi gosd, someone like Martin Wright could no doubt assist about the differences.

A subsequent question is "how does the cfs3 game engine treat .tga files? In the stock effects.xml there are numerous entries calling for .tga textures. In the fxtextures folder the requisite .tga textures are missing but there are .dds textures of the right name. Whether the game can use the .tga and .dds textures interchangeably I do not know.

Hence I tend to edit the effects.xml file, removing references to .tga textures, and substituting for .dds textures. I like to think that things like flak bursts are improved by so doing however I haven't rigorously tested the differences.

HTH,

gosd
January 7th, 2014, 15:23
I was about to remove all of the .tga entries until I noticed that they where also present in the original effects.xml file. The question here is: if two effects line have the same description except for one item with .tga do I eleminate this line, or change the .tga fo .dds or doI do nothing and keep both lines? :dizzy:

Daiwilletti
January 10th, 2014, 18:46
I was about to remove all of the .tga entries until I noticed that they where also present in the original effects.xml file. The question here is: if two effects line have the same description except for one item with .tga do I eleminate this line, or change the .tga fo .dds or doI do nothing and keep both lines? :dizzy:

If you have the relevant .tga texture in the FXtextures folder, then there is no need to do anything. However when I did a search for .tga in the stock effects.xml file, there were numerous .tga textures referred to that were not in the FXtextures folder. However there ARE .dds textures with the same name.

So for those ones, I have renamed the textures in the effects.xml (using find/replace function) from tga to dds.

HTH,
D