PDA

View Full Version : I'm Here Hat in hand begging for help with my DC-3/C-47 v2

Maj Kong
January 5th, 2014, 13:16
This is without a doubt the best freeware plane I have ever seen. It tops the commercial ones as well (I've tried them all).
Unfortunately, getting engines started still eludes me....it is hit or miss. Over 30 years flying real aircraft I have started lots of engines (never a DC-3) with little trouble but this bird has me whipped.
Is there some adjustment to the .cfg file to modify the startup for a bit more flexibility in applying prime, fuel pump, mags?
Any help appreciated
Btw...I do NOT want anything like auto-start.
Regards to all
Neal H

gman5250
January 5th, 2014, 13:54
The DAK can be a bit touchy.

There are times when I cannot get the old girl to spark, even when configured properly. When this happens I will re-boot the aircraft and start fresh. If you reboot be sure to double check mixture condition. This sometimes changes without input.

Assuming she is configured and ready to start, try this.

Throttle just below 10%, mags off. Prime as required then hit the starter for three full revolutions. Mag on and nudge the throttle to 12-15%. When you get spark hold the throttle there until the cylinders begin to lean out. Then idle back to 1K.

Also check the Manual for clearing out flooded conditions.

This is usually reliable for me, but this slow start configuration can be temperamental.

ark1320
January 6th, 2014, 19:27
The following engine start procedure has worked for me most of the time:

1. Start with a/c cold and dark, everything off (battery, generators, pumps, mags, etc, etc)
2. Parking brake on
4. Throttle about 7% ( view setting on control panel pg2)
5. Mixture to about 90% or AR (about purple mark on control quadrant)
6. Battery on
For right engine:
7. Main Fuel Pump on
8. Prime for about 3 sec
9. Push starter, about 2 sec
10. Mags to Both
11. Push starter again and hold until engine starts to catch (3-5 sec)
12. When engine catches, another shot of primer
For left engine:
10. Repeat 7 thru 12

Once the main fuel pump is on you want to immediately prime and complete the rest of the start up procedure so as not to flood the engine.

Al

ncooper
January 7th, 2014, 11:01
Sometimes, even the best aircraft models can be undermined by the
settings in a non-standard default flight.
Probably the best way to avoid this is to have a default flight using
the FSX Cessna 172.
Set the aircraft to the state you want it to be in and make sure the fuel tank selector is set to both.
Then save the flight, making it your FSX default.

Once you have loaded this flight, then load the C 47 and it should start as described
in the Engstart.jpg.
You can then save this flight (situation) but only use it for the C 47, or you may find that some of your other
add-on aircraft won't work properly.
Probably the best way to avoid problems is to prepare a saved flight for each aircraft and then select
that before setting your location etc.

I rather think that the default flight is the primary user cause of problems with add-on aircraft.

Regards,
Nick

emfrat
January 7th, 2014, 11:19
In the VC, press F10 to bring up the kneepad. Fix your fuel load, then click [1] at the bottom of the page to get page 2. This will show the status of the engines, and has tooltips to tell you what you need to do. Mixture should be set to AR, and it only needs a very quick click on the primer - any more and it will flood; throttles at least 11%. Start it a few times from the kneepad and you will soon have the routine.
All this is in the Readme :mixed-smiley-010:

MikeW

Adamski_NZ
January 17th, 2014, 05:36
Sometimes, even the best aircraft models can be undermined by the
settings in a non-standard default flight.

I rather think that the default flight is the primary user cause of problems with add-on aircraft.

I agree Nick. Good advice! However - I think there may be more to it than meets the eye.

I couldn't work out why I sometimes could start No.2 engine OK and sometimes not. A quick look down to my mixture/prop levers showed that only the one was active. This was after loading a saved flight with the C-47 directly without pre-loading a default aircraft.

If I pre-loaded the default C172, I also had the same problem. The answer was to load any *twin* aircraft (default or not).

I'm still in awe of the startup sounds (and effects). Amazing!

Adam.

trucker17
January 17th, 2014, 08:17
Now this is what makes this a great site.....
Everyone jumps in to offer help.....
Hat off to everyone here....:applause::applause::applause:

Daveroo
January 17th, 2014, 08:52
is there anyway to make it "auto start"?

AussieMan
January 17th, 2014, 13:49
CTRL+E Dave. But you will still need to make sure you have your fuel pumps running and the throttle set to 7-10%.

Daveroo
January 17th, 2014, 18:24
CTRL+E Dave. But you will still need to make sure you have your fuel pumps running and the throttle set to 7-10%.

ok thanks..that must be why it wont light for me.....but i just might try to work on a proper start up since i think its so cool to do....