PDA

View Full Version : Dino Cattaneo's F-14D Tomcat version 2.20 release

kdfw
January 5th, 2014, 06:59
new avionics & improvements. awesome.

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2014/01/f-14d-tomcat-version-220-release.html

falcon409
January 5th, 2014, 07:41
Thanks for the HU. Just completed a flight from Langley to Otis with the current version, so downloading now to update it. Beautiful job Dino!

papab
January 5th, 2014, 12:09
Thanks for the HU..

Wonderful job Dino!!
Thank you very much for your excellent products

Rick

ryanbatc
January 6th, 2014, 08:25
I can't seem to decrease the OBS values in CSEL mode. The increase function works

I also seem to lose those clickspots for HSEL and CSEL after a few minutes. Any ideas?

Victory103
January 6th, 2014, 17:35
I seem to get this on the right MFD on some pages, prompted me to switch MFDs. Using the HDG and CSEL knobs in front of the stick.

ryanbatc
January 6th, 2014, 19:01
I seem to get this on the right MFD on some pages, prompted me to switch MFDs. Using the HDG and CSEL knobs in front of the stick.

Yep, I didn't clarify.... this is the right side MFD too.

Dino Cattaneo
January 7th, 2014, 04:57
Thanks for the appreciation - by the way the new version is totally independent from fa-18.dll and is completely compatible with P3Dv2.

As for the fact that some MFDs are not working, it is a known issue... but I am not sure it can be easily solved. It seems that from time to time, FSX sees those keys as "hidden" geometry...so you cannot click them. There are also a couple of minor bugs... I will gather some feedback and then try to fix the most annoying issues.

Emile
January 7th, 2014, 07:33
Hello,
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/tuoh.jpg/]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9499/tuoh.jpg[/URL]
Above the aircraft I see 4 flashing lights when my contrails are activated.
I did not have this behavior before.
Recommendations?
Thanks in advance

Dino Cattaneo
January 7th, 2014, 08:27
I do not see what this should happen, at least if you have not modded the plane - I have not placed any additional effects (and, if anything, I have removed some of them for P3Dv2 compatibility)...

Emile
January 9th, 2014, 00:42
I do not see what this should happen, at least if you have not modded the plane - I have not placed any additional effects (and, if anything, I have removed some of them for P3Dv2 compatibility)...
Hello Dino,
I have removed the Lights with // but same result.

Do I miss one or more effects?
Thanks for your help

Dino Cattaneo
January 9th, 2014, 03:59
The problem you have with the right tail seems to be a corrupt texture file (or wrong loading due to low video memory)...
All the light effects should be default, except the AoA indexer in the NLG.... I will have a look when I will get back home.

Emile
January 12th, 2014, 01:35
Hello Dino,
I have made tests with our panel, without my 2d panel.. same result.
FYI I have NOT this problem with the T45C

Dino Cattaneo
January 12th, 2014, 03:19
Good day Emile,

as far as I can tell, there is something wrong with the .fx files (or their textures) - alternate causes may be system running out of video memory (this may cause errors in texture loading) or graphics driver error .
Given that nothing has changed in my model in that respect, and also that I cannot replicate the problem and you are the only user (out of several thousand) that reported this, I tend to believe the problem is in your system.

Affected files *MAY* be (juding from the pictures):
fx_strobe_h.fx and/or
fx_navwhih.fx

they both reside in the effects folder

They both use - which resides in the Texture subfolder of the folder effects:

fx_2.bmp

You may want to try to selectively delete (after backup of course) the files to identify the root cause...
Apart from that there may be specific problems due to video card or video memory... the last Tomcat model is slightly more resource consuming than the previous one.

DagR
January 12th, 2014, 08:44
Hi,

In P3D2 I cannot seem to get the autosweep running properly. Also, the only lights that show are the slime lights. Any ideas?

Best
Dag

Sieggie
January 12th, 2014, 12:09
Hi,

In P3D2 I cannot seem to get the autosweep running properly. Also, the only lights that show are the slime lights. Any ideas?

Best
Dag

I had problems with the autosweep in FSX until I assigned an axis in FSUIPC to the Flaps. Then it worked just fine.

Dave

DagR
January 12th, 2014, 12:14
Ok, will try that, thanks :-)

Best regards
Dag

Dino Cattaneo
January 13th, 2014, 00:24
I'll have a look at the auto-sweep system... but there should be no difference in that respect with FSX. It seems to work fine on my system.
As for the lights not showing - this may be a P3Dv2 rendering anomaly - most of the lights are default effects... and should render correctly. Also in this case I am not able to replicate the issue.

Hanimichal
January 14th, 2014, 15:52
I have problem with autopilot, I can't stabilize altitude

DagR
January 14th, 2014, 22:42
Have tried everything when it comes to the auto wing sweep, cannot get it to work. When I start up, wings go to mid range, I need to manually move them forward to 20°. When I take off, I retract flaps and they move backwards to the next to last swept back position and they stay there. When decelerating nothing happens and I need to manually move them forwards.
I have tried assigning axis to both FSUIPC and sim, and also buttons to both but to no use.

Best regards
Dag

Dino Cattaneo
January 14th, 2014, 23:12
As for the autopilot, some of the gains are too low and there are (many) situations in which it is not as responsive as it should...hence it may drive the A/C to (almost) undamped oscillations. This will be fixed (or at least mitigated) in the next update.

As for the auto wing-sweep, I cannot really tell what could be wrong... everything seems to work fine on my side (both in P3Dv2 and FSX), and I assume the files are installed correctly (drag and drop)... I assume temperatures are not too cold (icing may lead to incorrect airspeed reading...) and I assume you see AUTO / MAN change correctly in the wing-sweep window...
Hopefully Rob can help...

Emile
January 14th, 2014, 23:22
Good day Emile,

as far as I can tell, there is something wrong with the .fx files (or their textures) - alternate causes may be system running out of video memory (this may cause errors in texture loading) or graphics driver error .
Given that nothing has changed in my model in that respect, and also that I cannot replicate the problem and you are the only user (out of several thousand) that reported this, I tend to believe the problem is in your system.

fx_strobe_h.fx and/or
fx_navwhih.fx

fx_2.bmp

You may want to try to selectively delete (after backup of course) the files to identify the root cause...
Apart from that there may be specific problems due to video card or video memory... the last Tomcat model is slightly more resource consuming than the previous one.

Hello Dino ,
I deleted the (I have a backup..)
fx_navwhih.fx
fx_2.bmp

I have created the
fx_strobe_h.fx From the fx_strobe_t45.fx

But same negative result.
More suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Dino Cattaneo
January 15th, 2014, 00:20
Good day Emile

it is very hard for me to provide support on this issue as, afaik, you are the only user having this issue.

Two questions:
- have you tried using the default Tomcat files (no additional mods)?
- have you tried the A/C after deleting the files (and with the default files)?

BR

Dino

rcbarend
January 15th, 2014, 08:56
Hi Dag,

As to your wingsweep problems:

First: are you sure you using FSX-Accelleration ??
Because in the wingsweep gauge, I use a standard FSX variable that is ONLY defined in FSX-Accelleration (NOT in FSX-SP2 !).

Secondly:
Make sure that the FSX-flaps function is NOT controlled by an Axis; neither in FSUIPC nor in the standard FSX controller assignments (check this for all your connected controller hardware).
Reason:
Besides the actual Flaps, Wingsweep also uses the FSX Flaps function.
But even the slightest "jitter" on that Axis makes the gauge unusable, because it makes FSX immediately overwrite the flaps-position I calculate/set by the Flaps-position dictated by the Axis position.

If both OK:
Try this:
- Load the F14 (either via the aircraft menu or existing flight on the runway).
- Go into Spotplane view and observe the wings.
- Press the key for FlapsUp (default key: F5) several times.

What you should see: Flaps (if extended) are retracted, and wings should be swept fully forward.
Pressing F5 again may visually cause the wings to be swept back a bit, but this is immediately (less then half a second) corrected to fully forward again by the gauge.

Is this working for you as well ?
If not, what do you observe ?

Note: the F14D always starts up with auto-wingsweep enabled; even if you save a flight with the F14D in manual-wingsweep.
Because the used wingsweep variable is "private" variable which is not saved in the FSX saved-flight data.

Regards, Rob

PS: I don't use P3D, so I can't test this myself other then in FSX-Acceleration.
But from Dino's (and others) report, I can only assume it works as-designed in P3D (1.4 and 2.0) as well; if it wouldn't, a lot of other FSX-designed (flaps-related) functions wouldn't work in P3D too.

EDIT: just noticed that you have this problem in P3D.
So the question on FSX-Accell is obsolete; other points are still valid.

Emile
January 15th, 2014, 21:14
Good day Emile

it is very hard for me to provide support on this issue as, afaik, you are the only user having this issue.

Two questions:
- have you tried using the default Tomcat files (no additional mods)?
- have you tried the A/C after deleting the files (and with the default files)?

BR

Dino

Hi Dino,
Yes both questions.
OK thanks for your help.

Forget the problem I will "fly" with the aircraft like it is.
Have a nice day.

DagR
January 16th, 2014, 11:57
I am afraid I am using Prepar3D 2.0.
I will test further over the weekend.

Best regards
Dag

Dino Cattaneo
January 16th, 2014, 23:36
As far as I can tell, there should be no difference between FSX and P3Dv2 from the gauge's perspective... seems to work perfectly on my system.

stovall
January 17th, 2014, 06:26
Dino, I have all three sims, FSX, Prepar3D v1.4 and Prepar3D v2 installed. I use all three for checking my scenery production. As far as I can tell, your fantastic F-14D Tomcat version 2.20 works perfectly in all three.

Dino Cattaneo
January 23rd, 2014, 00:12
Refueling from my new (and FAR from being complete!) S-3 Viking model... Looking good, IMHO.

sepp666
January 23rd, 2014, 00:15
Looking very good!!!:applause:

seawing
January 23rd, 2014, 09:23
Beautiful!!

Seawing

letourn
January 23rd, 2014, 13:06
Looking pretty nice!!

dino have you thought about what i already said.. why not release the S-3 so we can used it as AI tanker until we can fly it.

Dino Cattaneo
January 24th, 2014, 03:44
As I already explained, the release of a AI-tanker only S-3 is an option being evaluated very seriously.
Still, a specific model needs to be built for that purpose (especially if we want the tanker to be fully Tacpack compatible) - this is not a big work, but I am short on time.
Current priority in the S-3 project is to complete the base geometric structure of the Virtual Cockpit.
Special AI-Tanker will be made when I'll have a little more time - and when I will be in the right mood...

Dino Cattaneo
January 24th, 2014, 03:50
...that being said, refueling from the Hoover is pretty cool...

Navy Chief
January 24th, 2014, 05:04
...that being said, refueling from the Hoover is pretty cool...

Dino, your "teasing" is, as always, most welcome, because it foretells of another fantastic creation in the making!!

Thank you:applause: NC

Emile
February 7th, 2014, 05:12
Good day Emile,

fx_strobe_h.fx and/or
fx_navwhih.fx

fx_2.bmp

Hello, you are right these files are corrupted or changed :
fx_strobeh
fx_vclighth
fx_navredh
fx_navgreh

In fact it seams that the files with an "h" at the end are corrupted...:banghead:
I have the same "problem" on other aircrafts.

Where can I find the correct ones?
Thanks in advance

Emile
February 10th, 2014, 00:41
Hello, you are right these files are corrupted or changed :
fx_strobeh
fx_vclighth
fx_navredh
fx_navgreh

In fact it seams that the files with an "h" at the end are corrupted...:banghead:
I have the same "problem" on other aircrafts.

Where can I find the correct ones?
Thanks in advance

Hello,
Solved with this this tool : gauges_recovery_fsx.zip
:wiggle:

Dino Cattaneo
February 10th, 2014, 01:14
Good to know you have solved the light problem and enjoy the F-14D!

Aside, I am still collecting feedback for an upgrade - I am constantly looking for improvements.