PDA

View Full Version : Ww2 pilot who flew underneath the eiffel tower.............

Fibber
January 4th, 2014, 07:37
..............in pursuit of a ME 109 passes away at 92. Read his amazing story here.....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533373/WWII-fighter-pilot-flew-THROUGH-Eiffel-Tower-dies-Virginia-aged-92.html#ixzz2pRoKvdPC

R.I.P.

Sascha66
January 4th, 2014, 08:04
Very interesting, but that newspaper feature is so confusing! Can't make heads or tails of it. Typical shoddy modern journalism.
Sascha

SSI01
January 4th, 2014, 08:11
Let's not forget it took a fair degree of courage on the part of the Luftwaffe pilot to do the same thing Overstreet did - and with a damaged aircraft. Sascha, you are right, a lot of this story is incoherent and appears to be poorly-written. Like you said, typical.

Devildog73
January 4th, 2014, 22:07
Good thing pilots of the Greatest Generation flew better than modern journalists use the English language......

The dumbing down of America continues.

When I was in school our English composition teachers used the local newspaper as examples of how to write.

Now I suspect, if they use it at all, it is a lesson on how not to write.

American journalists no longer report the news in a concise, intelligent manner, with proper sentence syntax.

American editors no longer actually proof-read their reporters stories before they go to print.

Everything is computerized and computers do not catch the improper syntax or misuse of words as long as the words are spelled correctly.

But they will catch if one uses gender specific words instead of gender neutral words to describe people lest we offend someone.

But, I digress.

BTW, what did happen to the German pilot? Lots of pilots were shot down and not killed in the crash.

AND, I wonder if we can do that in CFS2? Anyone attempted the flight between the legs of the Eiffel Tower?

bearcat241
January 5th, 2014, 07:05
Let's not forget it took a fair degree of courage on the part of the Luftwaffe pilot to do the same thing Overstreet did - and with a damaged aircraft...

Nothing courageous with that...just sensational. His fate was sealed the moment he made that move.

It was a futile, "showboat" move that proved nothing on the part of the Luft pilot. Even surviving the under tower pass, he had to realize that he would need to get back to altitude for a proper bailout, since you can't safely belly land into Paris with all the ground clutter. Any chance he had of eluding the American was lost by giving up altitude for such a stupid defensive maneuver. He clearly handed the "perch" position over to his pursuer - a definite NO-NO in aerial combat - leaving the pursuer above AND behind for the perfect kill shot. The fact that Overstreet took the bait in the heat of the action and followed him down was inspiring for all appearances, but he could have just as easily ended the fight by hanging back, passing the tower and waiting for the German to inevitably climb right back into his gun-sight for the :pop4: