PDA

View Full Version : Soooo, what is Legacy Mode?

falcon409
January 3rd, 2014, 19:24
I've seen the name Legacy bantered around the community on several occasions when discussing scenery and now with P3D. What exactly is it and what does it do or why is it important?

Lionheart
January 3rd, 2014, 22:01
Sounds like, from the post by Navy Chief, that it is a program that you run in Prepar3D 1.4 'with' that Migration Tool by Estonia.

That's what I gathered from the discussion.

To my knowledge, there is absolutely no 'legacy mode' control in V2 and I do not remember this in V1 either, so this must be true that it is a addon program to help bring addons into V2 and V1.

Concerning the word 'Legacy' with Prepar3D, the biggest endeavor with the team at P3 has been to get rid of as much legacy code (old code from the earlier versions of FS) and make all new fresh, smoother running code. Legacy would be the 'older' version code. This is concerning the 'program architecture' of the sim though.

almccoyjr
January 4th, 2014, 03:53
EMT "Legacy Mode" is an option that's available to run when "Virtual FSX" is enabled. It can be run from the options listed under Flightsim Estonia on the startup menu or from the P3D v1/v2 root folder.

EMT "installs" a temp fsx.exe file and sets up links to other folders which aids in installing FSX addons into P3D. The fsx.exe file that's placed in the P3D root folder is "active", in that, when run, creates and places a hard fsx.cfg file entry in the Lockheed Martin Appsdata folder that mirrors the prepar3d.cfg file. It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the "jist" of it.

The only addon program I use that required "Legacy Mode" to run properly in Prepar3D v1 was EZCA. EZCA "looks" for the FSX process entry in the registry and then for the fsx.exe file in the root folder. EMT "Legacy Mode" temporarily substitutes these entries without making any actual hard changes in the registry or root folder. The ONLY time the fsx.exe file can be active is when expressly running "Legacy Mode" after enabling "Virtual FSX" in EMT.

There may be other addons that require this, but I don't have them.

Prepar3D v2 has eliminated, for me, the need to run "Legacy Mode" when using EZCA. The only time I run EMT now is configure EZCA active camera "201" entry into newly installed addon aircraft.

Many vendors have added dedicated installers for Prepar3D v1 and more are working on the same for v2. Due the serious health issues Marniftarr is facing, there will probably be no EZCA v2 which was to be designed to work directly with Prepar3D as well as FSX.

Hope this helps.

plug_nickel

Lionheart
January 4th, 2014, 20:09
Thanks for the explanation, almccoyjr

TeiscoDelRay
January 16th, 2016, 05:47
Really not understanding legacy mode. When I select legacy mode for P3D a box window comes up stating "please enable redirection before starting P3D in legacy mode"

Ok I then enable redirection and try to start P3D in legacy mode again but this time a box comes up stating " Migration tool has disabled this simulator to prevent corruption of configuration files. To run this simulator, set it as target in Migration tool"

Fine but it is already set as targert - this is like a dog chasing it's tail and ridiculous.

almccoyjr
January 16th, 2016, 17:46
Really not understanding legacy mode. When I select legacy mode for P3D a box window comes up stating "please enable redirection before starting P3D in legacy mode"

Ok I then enable redirection and try to start P3D in legacy mode again but this time a box comes up stating " Migration tool has disabled this simulator to prevent corruption of configuration files. To run this simulator, set it as target in Migration tool"

Fine but it is already set as targert - this is like a dog chasing it's tail and ridiculous.

P3Dv1, if I recall correctly, was the only version that could be specifically run using "legacy mode" option. This was due to the file content that was shared by P3Dv1_FSX in both ProgramData and AppData/Roaming locations. In essence, you were running P3Dv1 "as" FSX. P3Dv2_v3 file content is now much more specific, i.e., differentiated from that of FSX.

If you try and run P3Dv2_v3 in "legacy mode" depending on what version EMT you have installed, you'll get the the second message in your post. This is due to FSX_P3Dv2_v3 are no longer sharing many .cfg files. You now simply run P3D "enabled" to redirect FSX installs.

In the latest EMT update, the "Start in Legacy Mode" doesn't work and no message pops up when P3Dv2_v3 is detected. It's now a dead link for all but P3Dv1. In truth, the manual should have a cursory update regarding this.

plug_nickel