PDA

View Full Version : Should they burn him or cut him a break

hey_moe
January 18th, 2009, 17:19
Hacker Awaits Answers: Extradition or UK Trial? (http://www.dailytech.com/Hacker+Awaits+Answers+Extradition+or+UK+Trial/article13982.htm) I think the hearing should be done in the USA because that is where the crime was committed ...Mike
(http://www.dailytech.com/Hacker+Awaits+Answers+Extradition+or+UK+Trial/article13982.htm)

Death_Eagle_571
January 18th, 2009, 17:30
I have the same syndrome, and I think a 70 year sentence is out right lunacy! As far as I'm concerned, he should go to a rehabilitation program, and be taught how to use his talents for good, not evil, I find it atrocious how people like this are treated so wrongly, and murderers and rapists are practically set free the next day, it goes to show whats screwed up with the justice system in this country...

Boomer
January 18th, 2009, 18:12
They need to place him on a rotiserie & roast him over a low fire!

Sure 70yrs sounds steep but look at the potential consequesnces of his actions... He claims to have been after UFO info. What if he "accidently" had gotten into our military database & had uncovered some vital information. Information that could lead to the deaths of many people. Is it so steep then?

Morover, if he does in fact have that syndrome I would bet my eye teeth that it is by the losest possible standard.

I for one am fed up with the lack of accoutablility we have gotten to in our society. No one is ever at fault, everyone is a victim... Horse :censored: !

I am certain that he knew what he was doing was wrong. Now he has to answer for his actions!

MCDesigns
January 18th, 2009, 18:24
I have the same syndrome, and I think a 70 year sentence is out right lunacy! As far as I'm concerned, he should go to a rehabilitation program, and be taught how to use his talents for good, not evil, I find it atrocious how people like this are treated so wrongly, and murderers and rapists are practically set free the next day, it goes to show whats screwed up with the justice system in this country...

Really depends on if he is willing to be rehabilitated or not. I have no sympathy for anyone that does this type of thing with no remorse and feel 70 years is to short, but then again, I am a firm believer in the death penalty.

I do agree on how stronger criminals are dealt with, or lack of. The U.S. judicial system is a complete joke, judges are all over the board when it comes to what they feel is justice and punishments are way to soft.

cheezyflier
January 18th, 2009, 18:37
i agree. just because they are too soft on violent crime doesn't mean they should be lenient with E crime. hopefully some out there might think twice

Lionheart
January 18th, 2009, 19:45
Lets say this guy ruined 40 people and lets say 5 commit suicide because all of their expensive work, files, everything that might have been on a computer, was suddenly ruined..

In comparison.. A rapist may attack say 1 to 12 women... This guy attacked how many millions.. Entire corporations.. He ruined equipment and created untold collossal sums of monetary damage, not to mention businesses that had to lose money from their mainframes being down... Imagine a company like Mobil oil being down for 6 to 12 hours.. How much money was that?

Nah, this guy did bad.. Slow burn.

Bill

djscoo
January 18th, 2009, 20:02
In comparison.. A rapist may attack say 1 to 12 women... This guy attacked how many millions.. Entire corporations.. He ruined equipment and created untold collossal sums of monetary damage, not to mention businesses that had to lose money from their mainframes being down... Imagine a company like Mobil oil being down for 6 to 12 hours.. How much money was that?

Nah, this guy did bad.. Slow burn.

Bill
I would tread lightly, who are we to gauge which crime is worse. Think about it...a rapist causes of physical, mental, emotional, psychological damage that is lifelong for not only the victims, but their families and friends. Really...Mobil losing a million dollars+ is like you or I losing a dime. I couldn't disagree more on the "slow burn"...he should be put on probation and then to work.
This guy had issues dealing with people, yet he was obviously extremely intelligent to have done what he did. I have friend with Aspergers who can literally recite the name of every major road/railroad in the US and what cities they pass through traveling in either direction. Such a brilliant mind shouldn't go to waste.
It's amazing that people are so quick to suggest extreme punishment for "crimes" against the government. Even if he did find evidence of Alien visits, really who would have been hurt by that??

Paularx
January 18th, 2009, 20:40
The dude hacked Pentagon computers looking for aliens -
total dammage - he left one note.

He did NOT however intend to destroy computers or cause data-loss /sabotage. He is a hacker - not a cracker / virus writer / script kiddie.

Ausperger's very interesting syndrome - notably most prevalent amongst highly inteligent people.

Let him apply his knowledge on behalf of the "good guys" then.
70 Years in jail - terrible waste of a brilliant mind. Such a terrible waste.

:typing:

Willy
January 18th, 2009, 20:54
I don't care if he did any damage or not. He hacked into someone else's computer system and needs a heck of a lot more than a slap on the wrist.

As far as his mental diagnosis, what's that the mental illness of the week?

N2056
January 18th, 2009, 21:01
He hacked into one of our government computer systems. I could care less why. No further questions your honor...

NCGent
January 18th, 2009, 21:09
The way I see it...you steal..Jail you kill...death you rape...put you in a cage with a horney ape you hack and/or make viruses ...jail 50 years to life!

To many people have used some sort of illness as an excuse for doing wrong, wrong is wrong..... period! No gray areas in wrong. I'm a firm believer in the biblical forms of punishment such as if you are found cheating on your spouse you are put in the center of town tied to a pole and stoned. If the bleeding hearts and candy a$$es would go back to real punishment then crime would decrease by 90% within a year.

My 1 1/2 cents worth

Chris

djscoo
January 18th, 2009, 21:18
As far as his mental diagnosis, what's that the mental illness of the week?
That's a very insensitive statement to make.:stop:

Lionheart
January 18th, 2009, 21:41
Well put Chris....

I had thought this was the guy that just caused the huge damage from the past week.. Who are we talking about? One hacker of the Pentagon? Or did this guy spread the damage that shut us down last week? That is the guy that needs to fry...

If all this other guy did is go into the Pentagon system looking for UFO stuff, then that is between him and the government. Same as walking into the building and going through file cabinets.. Dont they usually shoot you when you do that? Armed guards? If he 'did this'.. then there will be a price to pay...

Bill

deathfromafar
January 19th, 2009, 02:58
We always hear the saying: "Does the punishment fit the crime?" How much is too much or too little. Despite the most well rounded minds in our respective judiciaries, we still suffer the major problem of criminals not serving full terms(revolving door justice) and coming out and ending up being repeat offenders in many cases(which is one of the key reasons I left LE work many years back) You hear the outcry from the minority bleeding hearts for the poor criminal who was given concurrent sentences for serious to heinous crimes, sentences that were too severe or inhumane. But What about the victims of crime? In every sense, we all pay for crimes that go unpunished or not prosecuted. Why do we have people who commit crimes like this one or worse? Because our justice systems is a dismal failure when the law we live by is so frequently not upheld by those who are appointed to do so. Criminal behavior is rewarded in this day and time by penal/corrections systems which are more like hotels than prisons. Then we let em go early. Do the math. That doesn't work in fighting crime. When people commit even the non-violent crimes, it costs society as a whole in many ways. In the business sense where he did the damage, the costs or changing SOP's and Regulation plus lost time in fixing such things cost time and money. Not to mention the legal costs from investigations and prosecutions.

This person who did this should be tried and IF found guilty should be punished within the statutory guidelines that a Judge & Jury are allowed to hand down and BE MADE TO SERVE ALL OF IT!

Ickie
January 19th, 2009, 02:59
Poor baby, while he was hacking and such he felt bullet proof, now that he got caught he is a cry baby, they need to make a point here, maybe his friends will learn it does not pay.
Hang em high.

Snuffy
January 19th, 2009, 03:22
Thirteen steps to the trap door.

wombat666
January 19th, 2009, 03:37
Way too much knee-jerk reaction people.

"Ausperger's very interesting syndrome - notably most prevalent amongst highly inteligent people".
While that is very true, and I know from personal encounters, it is not an excuse.

By the same token, considering the number of 'High Profile' criminal cases that slide through the maze of loopholes and cracks that form the 'US Judicial System', this person would probably be better tried in an English Court of Law, where he should receive fair 'Justice'.
The 'Lynch Mob' approach would make this a good reason for not allowing extradition.

Crime and Punishment should be balanced, if this person is a thief then he should serve the appropriate time, nothing more, nothing less.
Murderers, Rapists and Child Molesters seem to run to 25 years +/- less time off for good behaviour and be eligible for parole in 15, less if they have plenty of money for the 'Right Lawyers'....... :kilroy:

stiz
January 19th, 2009, 03:50
anyone else notice there hasnt been any discussion about the fact that the US goverment, one of the ricest and most powerfull in the world is unable to protect the highly confidential, highly sentitive information on their own computers? :kilroy:

If the guy was smart enough to hack in ... why not keep him (and at least you have a reason to keep this one ;)) and use him to fix the holes and use him to hack into other goverments systems and spy on them, after all thats fully legal if your a goverment, and if you get found you can just say they where terrorists and invade like you tend to do ;)

hey_moe
January 19th, 2009, 04:52
Bottom line is he went out of his way to break into a government computer. In other words, if you are a citizen of the US he broke into your computer because we are the government. It really cracks me up when a tird like this gets caught breaking the law like this. All we hear now is how sorry he is and he has a mental problem, his mommy or daddy spanked him when he was young...ect..ect. My heart bleeds for him. As far as I am concerned you do the crime, then do the time. Think of all the other computers he has hacked into and didn't get caught. I bet cha if he hacked into your personal computer and got your checking or savings account and drained it or stole your ID I bet you would feel different.

stiz
January 19th, 2009, 05:03
i'd wonder how he did it or starters seeing as how i dont keep any of me bank stuff on the pc :engel016:

aeronca1
January 19th, 2009, 05:51
70 Years? Murderers in Canada are on the street sooner.........

airfighterjohn
January 19th, 2009, 06:23
There are many mentally ill people in prisons around the world. The ONLY way mental illness could keep the government from prosecuting him is if that mental illness prevented him from knowing and understanding the difference between right and wrong. Ausperger's usually does not cause this problem. But, this guy really IS dumb, in a way. Does he not realize that if he is tried for a crime in another country, he can STILL be tried for it in the US if any part of the crime occurred on US soil? If he is tried and convicted by the Crown,he can STILL be tried and convicted in the United States and double jeopardy protection would not apply as he has not been tried in an AMERICAN court. He could stil be held liable for his crimes here even if he were tried and convicted in England. And, knowing our government, he would and should be tried here regardless of the Crown's decision. Hackers are just as much a criminal as the burgular that breaks into your house and steals your computer--They are stealing your information from it---'n:kilroy:uff said

Paularx
January 19th, 2009, 07:49
He should be punished harshly - yes. That is not the question. Should he be mollly-codled and be given a break - no, I believe he should be held accountable.

What I am saying is stuffing him into the chokey for 70 years is a waste of a potential resource. This guy did less damage than Mitnick did. Mitnick served about 4 out of 5 years of his sentende, and now is the director of a computer consultancy firm.

Use the tiger, don't kill it.

As an aside, the prevalent insensitivity to ausperger's syndrome is somewhat shocking, however I cannot bring myself to feel much of a funk for what other people are feeling anyway :costumes:

djscoo
January 19th, 2009, 08:36
He's not pleading insanity or anything, It was deduced by an outside expert that he has Aspergers. If he himself were blaming his actions on it perhaps I would feel differently. When asked about why he did it, he didn't say 'my Aspergers made me do it' , He said that he was looking for the truth about UFO's.

Sascha66
January 31st, 2009, 05:10
He's not pleading insanity or anything, It was deduced by an outside expert that he has Aspergers. If he himself were blaming his actions on it perhaps I would feel differently. When asked about why he did it, he didn't say 'my Aspergers made me do it' , He said that he was looking for the truth about UFO's.

Heck, I hope he found it then! I'd hate to go on the chain gang for 70 years for NOT finding out the truth about UFO's!
:costumes:

Bruce Thompson
January 31st, 2009, 10:43
He should have been given a job at MS and told to sort out Vista and FSX.:173go1:

dharry
January 31st, 2009, 13:19
Speaking of punishments fitting the crime.
What would you suggest the punishment should be for people who start an unfounded war that costs billions and kills thousands?

Willy
January 31st, 2009, 19:49
Ok, it's crossed the line and went political. I'm closing it.