PDA

View Full Version : tell me if im off base......

Daveroo
January 2nd, 2014, 09:54
hey all,
if im remembering what ive read/learned from here,the best set up for a "gaming" pc..or more to the point,to run FSX,you want 3.5ghz or better?..FSX only recognizes single core?..not duel core or quad core.can someone explain this to me how it works?..the machine ive been looking at is "quad core"..4.5Ghz..quad is four correct?..so does FSX only "see" 1.2Ghz?

RAM,FSX doesnt recognizes up too 8GBs?....16GBs isnt necessaryto operate FSX? becuase it wont use more then 8GBs?

video cards,,,1 to 2 GBs of "on-board" ram is fine?...and how do the duel video cards work?,and are they a good thing for FSX?...

will 7200rpms for the HDD be better than 1500 as far as the graphics and FSX is concerned?....also,i am thinking im going to have two PCs..this one im on for browsing and all other programs.and a new "gaming" machine solely for FSX ( i understand ill need to DL ect to the new pc for FSX related things)

OR should i get a new pc with two HDDs (or what ive seen some talk about SSD?)both 1TB?

now about transfering FSX and its files to a new hard drive,will i need to install FSX as a new install from the gitgo ? ( new PC with two HDDs) and then can i just simply copy FSX by itself from the old PC to the new hard drive ? over writing any conflicts?......ive heard there is software and cables to do this.

or,could i put this currant HDD into the new PC as "D" drive and save FSX on the "C" drive alone? i understand i need to get the files into the new registry,but if i put it into a new pc,and get it to work,,wont it automatically create the new registry files?..well i need stop here cause im confusing myself...

Dave

PrivateCustard
January 2nd, 2014, 10:41
My input.

CPU - 4 cores is fine. Overclock to 4.5 to 5 ghz. Decent air cooling should be fine for up to 4.8 (I use the Noctua NH-U12P) EDIT: Just noticed you're in CA.....maybe a small water-cooler would be best!!

Remember to add this to your fsx.cfg...

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

GPU - A decent single processor card is fine. I've used the GTX460, GTX470, GTX560ti (overclocked) and GTX770 with FSX so far. The 770 is definitely the best yet, and is pretty affordable now.

HDDs - I'd use a mid-sized SSD for the OS and basic programs (photoshop, Lightroom, browsers, e-mail etc etc...), and I'd then use a larger SSD for FSX (possibly 512gb, depending how many addons you have. My FSX install once hit 290gb!!). To cap it all, you may want a large mechanical drive, to store all of your files (photos, videos etc...).

I'd also get an external drive of equal size, so you have a simple backup route.....which you can take off-site if needs be.

RAM - I was always under the impression that a 32-bit OS and software could only utilise 3.5gb of your RAM....hence the OOM errors that FSX can suffer if you add too much at once. I have Windows 7 Ultimate, and 16gb of Corsair XMS3, which is great as I do some video and photography work too.

PSU - Don't buy cheap. Corsair modular units tend to be decent.

If you're changing all your HDDs over, I'd simply go for and fresh windows install on C:, a fresh FSX install on the second SSD (E: drive), and I'd then re-direct windows to write all personal files to the large (2tb mechanical drive). Don't buy a mechanical drive that 'parks' itself when idle......waiting for it to spin up is a pain in the arse!!

If you set it up right from the get-go, you won't end up shifting gigs and gigs of files around at a later date.

mjrhealth
January 2nd, 2014, 12:06
FSX only uses 4 gig of ram Get 8 as it gives win7 64 bit room to breathe. You dont necessarily need the affinity mask try it and see what it does. Install the new drive, create a new partition, for FSX and copy the FSX folder there, than get the fs9fsx registry tool and use it to point the registry to th enew folder. Delete the FSX.cfg and re run fsx, you may need to reinstall some things to point to the new folder. FSX is better off teh c drive which gets fragmented every time to turn your pc on.

Deacon211
January 2nd, 2014, 13:20
It's long but I made many decisions based on this guide.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I can't say how accurate it is but it will give you some food for thought!

Deacon