PDA

View Full Version : Airbus 321 rudder-worky switch

PRB
January 18th, 2009, 17:14
Ok, the default Airbus 321 (and probably the real one too) has an interesting characteristic in that the flight control system won’t let the pilot use the rudder unless and until he (or she) turns a switch on someplace. Seems like an odd feature to have in a plane, but what the heck do I know about airplanes? I suppose it’s some sort of “auto-rudder” sort of thing. Perhaps this feature is related to the accident a few years back over New York City where the co-pilot broke the tail off an Airbus after he pressed too hard on the rudder pedals, but that’s just a guess. I’m betting the flight crew is supposed to “enable the rudder” at some point during the landing phase of the flight. You know, in case he wants to, well, turn, or something. It’s probably in the checklist. I know the blasted switch is somewhere in the cockpit, but I’ll be darned if I can find it. I thought it was on the overhead panel, and it probably is, but I’ve been looking at it for some time now. No joy in the “Easter Egg Hunt.” Anyone know where this special switch is?

N2056
January 18th, 2009, 17:16
Look for the "Yaw Damper" switch. Not sure where it is, but that is what you are looking for.