PDA

View Full Version : Round-The-World Race Round-Table

PRB
December 31st, 2013, 05:19
Those of you who have been here a while know about the annual Round-The-World Race that is held this time of year between the Sim-Outhouse, FlightSim, and AVSIM. It started in 2004, and until around 2009 or so, interest and participation has been good. Since that time, however, it seems interest and participation have been on a steady decline. At this point it is not certain the event will be held this year. It might be, if there is interest...

To summarize, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, the Round The World Race:

1. Is held each year in February.
2. Consists of three teams: SOH, FlightSim, and AVSIM.
3. Is a real-time race around the world.
4. Is flown in a series of 700 NM (more or less) legs.
5. Is restricted to piston or twin-turbo-prop aircraft (with some exceptions).
6. Takes about four days of non-stop 24/7 flying (this is why we need many pilots).
7. Does not have to be flown exclusively on-line.
8. Does have to be flown with crash-detection on and using real weather and real time.
9. Is "costly" when legs have to be re-flown due to crashes (this is why we conduct practice races).
10. Is challenging, especially when flying to an airport at midnight in a snow blizzard.
11. Is meant, primarily, as a fun event, and is not to be taken too seriously...

I'd like to generate a discussion here. The questions are: If you are not interested in participating in this event, why? What would change your mind?

Resources:
Official Site (http://www.fsrtwrace.com/)
Last Year's SOH Official Race Thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?75804-2013-Around-The-World-Race-OFFICIAL-THREAD)

Firekitten
December 31st, 2013, 07:10
Well I'm in :P

falcon409
December 31st, 2013, 21:17
I've skipped it for a long time, personal reasons. . .but I may give it a go this time around.

trucker17
December 31st, 2013, 21:38
Count me in......
My around the world flight in the A2A C72 is about finished.....

fliger747
January 1st, 2014, 18:23
Being now a Wuzza, I should be able to find time.

Cheers. Tom

Canelo
January 1st, 2014, 18:34
Heck, if no one else is interested SOH should do it!

If no other site wants to compete; do we have enough pilots to have two teams?

To me the FS Community isn't dead yet!

We all about saving resources aren't we?

Push this and make it happen!

ViperPilot2
January 1st, 2014, 20:03
I have followed the RTWR for the last couple of years, but have always been extremely hesitant about signing up, for a couple of reasons:

1) The fear of failing to complete a leg due to my incompetence, thereby costing the Team valuable Race Time and resources.

2) Fear of choosing the wrong Aircraft for a particular Leg, or the lack of a suitable, competitive aircraft.

3) The RTWR, being a highly competitive environment, my 'newbie' status, and the fear of making a long time Team Member angry for whatever reason...

There's one other thing, and I guess that it's just a perception I get from both following the Race and the 364 days of talk building up to Start Day every year...

I know that there are different Themes every year (DC-3 Anniversary, Tri Motor Flight, Piper Cub Flight), and at times on certain legs a specific Airplane has to be flown
for that leg. But when the Race gets going, it just seems that the Duennas always end up listing the same three airplanes; A'hm Available, The P-51H and the Bearcat Long Range.
It just gives me the feeling that if I'm not using one of those specific airplanes, then I'm not 'up to par' with the rest of the racers.

Like I said; it's just a personal perception I have. I hope the RTWR continues to be held... it's one of the oldest FS events out there, and it would be a shame if it went by the wayside.
The people who compete year after year look forward to the camaraderie it brings, and I look forward to watching the Routes take shape as the Race progresses.

falcon409
January 1st, 2014, 20:33
Good points ViperPilot2. . .probably a lot of the reasons others don't participate as well. I know it has been advertised as something that is competitive but never taken too seriously, but some do take it very seriously. . .they may laugh it off but not entirely. Also, the Duenna is a royal pain in my opinion. I know there has to be some way to ensure all legs are flown "by the book" and this option seems to be the only one, so you just have to grin and bear it. Another thing that may keep some from entering are the realism settings. I know a lot of folks fly with everything turned on and that's fine, but I don't and I know others that don't as well and the thought of having to fly that way can put a damper on entering. Some people don't have a light touch and it's very aggravating to be flying for several hours and touch down at the destination, only to register a crash because you touched down a bit too hard or you touched down pretty nicely only to have the plane bounce on you and that second touch will probably be harder (CRASH). You lose your landing gears because you waited a few seconds longer than prescribed to raise them or lose an engine because you weren't monitoring your gauges adequately. When you don't fly that way all the time, the requirement to be sure you do may keep people from bothering to even try.

Milton Shupe
January 2nd, 2014, 04:22
Hey guys, :wavey: good points, but it's the same for everyone, and the reason we spend a month in "training" flights to get comfortable. Even the best flyers have issues be they computer related, software, or granite mountains. It's all part of the challenge and no one is less susceptible. At least be part of the training period, get the aircraft installed (all listed and available), have fun in the practice flights getting familiar with everything. Even if you choose not to fly, there are many other things you can assist with during the race from the sidelines. You will love the fun of the challenge with the team.

I'm in :jump:

Ferry_vO
January 2nd, 2014, 05:20
I have followed the RTWR for the last couple of years, but have always been extremely hesitant about signing up, for a couple of reasons:

1) The fear of failing to complete a leg due to my incompetence, thereby costing the Team valuable Race Time and resources.

We've all been there and done that... Practice makes (almost) perfect, but unexpected things always happen.

2) Fear of choosing the wrong Aircraft for a particular Leg, or the lack of a suitable, competitive aircraft.

I think the whole team agrees it is better to fly an aircraft you are comfortable in, than take a risk with something 20 kts faster.. Just for that reason the P-38 has been a long time favourite of our team.
Loosing an entire leg is costlier than arriving five minutes later because of a slower aircraft.

3) The RTWR, being a highly competitive environment, my 'newbie' status, and the fear of making a long time Team Member angry for whatever reason...

Once again, we've all had our share of mistakes in the past, no problem there. Try joining a practice session and see how it goes. At least the last few years we could fly with a wingman so we can transfer the 'baton' with a small time penalty. In the 'old days' we had only one pilot on a flight which was even more tense because you would loose up to two hours if you crashed..

There's one other thing, and I guess that it's just a perception I get from both following the Race and the 364 days of talk building up to Start Day every year...

I know that there are different Themes every year (DC-3 Anniversary, Tri Motor Flight, Piper Cub Flight), and at times on certain legs a specific Airplane has to be flown
for that leg. But when the Race gets going, it just seems that the Duennas always end up listing the same three airplanes; A'hm Available, The P-51H and the Bearcat Long Range.
It just gives me the feeling that if I'm not using one of those specific airplanes, then I'm not 'up to par' with the rest of the racers.

The last few races the number of legs for which the really fast aircraft could be flown was limited, so a wider range of models had to be used. Again, fly what you are good at, don't pick the fastest aircraft just because it is fast. It's no good if your thoroughbred has to land at a short field in the Alps in the dark and you nose over when you apply the brakes..

Ferry_vO
January 2nd, 2014, 05:27
Good points ViperPilot2. . .probably a lot of the reasons others don't participate as well. I know it has been advertised as something that is competitive but never taken too seriously, but some do take it very seriously. . .they may laugh it off but not entirely. Also, the Duenna is a royal pain in my opinion. I know there has to be some way to ensure all legs are flown "by the book" and this option seems to be the only one, so you just have to grin and bear it. Another thing that may keep some from entering are the realism settings. I know a lot of folks fly with everything turned on and that's fine, but I don't and I know others that don't as well and the thought of having to fly that way can put a damper on entering. Some people don't have a light touch and it's very aggravating to be flying for several hours and touch down at the destination, only to register a crash because you touched down a bit too hard or you touched down pretty nicely only to have the plane bounce on you and that second touch will probably be harder (CRASH). You lose your landing gears because you waited a few seconds longer than prescribed to raise them or lose an engine because you weren't monitoring your gauges adequately. When you don't fly that way all the time, the requirement to be sure you do may keep people from bothering to even try.

The Duenna is quite easy to work with Ed, just don't forget to press start before you take off.... (Been there, done that.... :icon_redface: )

The realism settings may seem daunting at first, but you'll end up a better pilot for it; at least I did! Flying 'by the numbers' may sound hard, but in the end is quite rewarding. Like Milton said, that's why we practice a lot. And there are still aircraft in FsX (Or Fs9) that you can fly full throttle without any risk of breaking the engine.. ;)

I hope to fly a few legs this year, and with my new computer I might even get Teamspeak to work this time round...

falcon409
January 2nd, 2014, 06:17
This wouldn't have been a question for me a few months ago, but I recently started flying in P3D almost exclusively. Will that be permitted for the Race or are we limited to FS9/FSX? I have noticed that some FSX (compatible) aircraft lose their VC clickability when moved into P3D which would be a minor problem.

Milton Shupe
January 2nd, 2014, 06:33
This wouldn't have been a question for me a few months ago, but I recently started flying in P3D almost exclusively. Will that be permitted for the Race or are we limited to FS9/FSX? I have noticed that some FSX (compatible) aircraft lose their VC clickability when moved into P3D which would be a minor problem.

That should be easy enough to test Falcon. If you visit the RTWR forum, you can also find a whitelist of aircraft commonly used to test in P3D.

@Ferry: great points :-)

falcon409
January 2nd, 2014, 06:41
That should be easy enough to test Falcon. If you visit the RTWR forum, you can also find a whitelist of aircraft commonly used to test in P3D. . . .
Thanks Milton. Your F-7F is one that I enjoy flying constantly (those engine sounds are awesome, lol), but in P3D it loses all clickability. It's still very flyable, you just can't set/reset anything in the VC and the canopy transparency had to get a darker alpha as it was kind of a "smoke" color at first. The F-7F, F-8F and P-38 would be the three I'd be flying.

Ferry_vO
January 2nd, 2014, 07:07
Will that be permitted for the Race or are we limited to FS9/FSX?

The lack of a real-weather engine in P3D was the reason it wasn't allowed, but I don't know if any improvements were made in V2.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2014, 07:38
The lack of a real-weather engine in P3D was the reason it wasn't allowed, but I don't know if any improvements were made in V2.
Still the same. . .doesn't look like that's a priority right now. There is a freeware weather generator "FSrealWX_Lite", that I've been using that appears to work just fine, It's not Active Sky or REX level as far as the options available. . .it just generates the weather based on METARS and I assume uses the default textures. Supposedly they are working on a Version 2 that is "Coming Soon", but the last update was about 2 months ago and nothing recent has been posted.

Howellerman
January 2nd, 2014, 08:08
Despite being a raw newbie, lo 12 months ago, I had an absolute gas participating in the Western Roundup. And even though I ended up second to last in the Silver division, I *learned* a ton about real world flying. Still learning today, starting on IFR training for the cold winter months.

That is why I echo Falcon's concerns - I do not want to be the weak link in the chain! Not to mention the event happens in real time, and my real time has a bad habit of getting blown up on a routine basis. And I guess, deep down, that I have never been much of a team-person - the exception being baseball...

That being said, I am definitely looking forward to a repeat of the Western Roundup, Mexico Goat Rodeo, Antics in the Alps, or whatever the *individual* context will be this year. Thanks to Paul and crew (and of course the lovely Miss Murphy) for organizing these events!

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2014, 08:27
Hey All,

A couple coments.

If you have any interest I would recommend trying the Holkam Bay for the holidays event at flightsim - here:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?271948-The-Sixth-Annual-Holkham-Bay-for-the-Holidays-Dash

Just looking at the posts many are flying it just for fun but you can go as competitively as you like.

It will give you a good idea of what the RTW can be like and is a good "refresher" for those who have been there done that.

I haven't flown it yet but think I will this weekend.if I can get FS9 to "turnover".

As for being a "weak link" I wouldn't worry about it - this race is supposed to be fun.

-Ed-

Howellerman
January 2nd, 2014, 09:08

??

I run P3D V1.4 running OPUS with REX textures, and if it is raining outside, it is raining in the simulation. In fact, before I fly now I check the Weather.com site to see how screwy the weather is before I take off.

That doesn't represent a real-weather engine?

Howellerman
January 2nd, 2014, 09:17
Hey All,
If you have any interest I would recommend trying the Holkam Bay for the holidays event at flightsim - here:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?271948-The-Sixth-Annual-Holkham-Bay-for-the-Holidays-Dash

-Ed-

Whoa - just laid in the course between PAJN (close enough to the fictional Holkham Bay?) and KDTW in Plan G - it shows a polar circumnavigation curve! That is a quite a trek!

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2014, 09:36
Hey All,

No you do need to download and install holkam bay and glacier bay and runway12 objects all available at flightsim. PAHB holkam should be your destination. You can fly it at your leisure. Look through others completed flights and you'll see how folks have been doing it - some one jet leg others multiple hops - depending on class.

-Ed-

falcon409
January 2nd, 2014, 14:39
??
I run P3D V1.4 running OPUS with REX textures, and if it is raining outside, it is raining in the simulation. In fact, before I fly now I check the Weather.com site to see how screwy the weather is before I take off.
That doesn't represent a real-weather engine?
Yes, it does. . .but not everyone may have that setup and since P3D doesn't yet have the internal weather engine, it requires that if you want to use that Sim you must have a standalone weather generator that will give you the required RW Weather for the Race.

Howellerman
January 2nd, 2014, 16:58
Yes, it does. . .but not everyone may have that setup and since P3D doesn't yet have the internal weather engine, it requires that if you want to use that Sim you must have a standalone weather generator that will give you the required RW Weather for the Race.

Ah - thanks for the clarification.

Although I do have to question whether FSX has a *real* weather engine sometimes... I found it so frustrating during the Western Roundup that I switched to the OpusFSX engine mid-race.

falcon409
January 2nd, 2014, 17:37
Ah - thanks for the clarification.
Although I do have to question whether FSX has a *real* weather engine sometimes... I found it so frustrating during the Western Roundup that I switched to the OpusFSX engine mid-race.
I had heard/read in here or the FS9 forums that the RW Weather updates in FSX were no longer working. . .do you know anything about that?

PRB
January 2nd, 2014, 17:53
Last year P3D was not allowed, I think, because of issues of “real weather” capability. If, for example, an FS9 pilot from Team A is flying with the “built-in” real weather selected, and a P3D pilot from “Team B” is flying with FSRealWX, the possibility exists that the two pilots, over the same airport, will get significantly different interpretations of “real”. So, the rule is, everyone must use the same weather source. Not sure where this rule stands today. If we have a race, we'll have to wait and see what the Roolz Committee says on this.

As for not wanting to let the team down, well, we've all started at the same place. It is challenging, no question about it. But that's why we hold practice runs. Practice works! And in addition to sharpening your flying and landing skills, it gets you familiar with the steps involved in flying a leg as the baton holder. 1) Make sure your plane is ready to go, parked on the runway. 2) Make your “I have the baton, KNLC - KFAT” post in the racing thread. 3) Make sure your duenna is running and “armed”. 4) Fly the leg, don't overspeed, don't get lost (you can use GPS), land without crashing (hehe). 5) Make your “The Baton Is Free At KFAT” post. That's all there is to it! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/smile.png

It's great when you've completed a leg in bad weather, at night (without bumping into the mountain off the east side of the runway) and the next pilot has taken off for the next leg. You grab a hotdog and coffee at the diner, relax and say “dang, that was intense!” And you'll have team mates parked at your destination airport. They will be reporting weather conditions there. And if the weather is bad, and you're flying online, you can use that as a “beacon” to locate the runway, since the red tags of the other players will show up ten miles out (or two if it's really foggy...)

PRB
January 2nd, 2014, 17:54
I had heard/read in here or the FS9 forums that the RW Weather updates in FSX were no longer working. . .do you know anything about that?

I did, then I heard that it was working again. It seemed to be working again during the Holkham run.

TeaSea
January 3rd, 2014, 13:31
Dates!!!

Lots of things going on.

PRB
January 3rd, 2014, 14:16
Dates!!!

Lots of things going on.

Traditionally, the race has started on the same weekend as the Daytona 500, or the weekend after Valentines Day. No word yet from the Race Committee on the exact date as yet.

PRB
January 3rd, 2014, 16:33
A word about choosing an airplane to fly. This can sometimes become a touchy subject, but, heck, I've been in worse trouble, so here goes. The race usually is limited to piston powered planes, or turbo-props with no more than two engines. Legs are limited to 700 NM in range, and no more than two hours in duration. So, you need a piston powered plane that can make a 700 NM leg in two hours or less. This means warbirds. There are a few exceptions, such as the P.180 Avanti, but historically, warbirds have dominated these race legs. But making 700 miles in two hours means you need a pretty fast ride. P-40s are out. Early model Spitfires, Hurricanes, F6Fs, A6Ms, P-39s, Me-109s, no chance. P-38s can do it, but a good tail wind helps. But P-38s can easily make a 650 mile leg, and most legs are something less than the maximum of 700 miles. And P-38s are easy to land, which means they are a good choice for bad weather and darkness, on short legs (500-600 NM). In addition, you get maximum “style points” in a P-38. Ok, that's just my biased opinion. Milton Shupe's F7F-3 is a good choice for anything up to 700 NM. She's faster than a P-38, but is also a “nose-dragger” and easy to land (just don't get slow on final, or it WILL kill you). The fastest planes are the P-51s, of any variety. If I have to fly a “pony” I choose the WarbirdSim P-51B. Among the warbirds, there are two that are simply “off the charts” fast. In fact, many of us think these two planes are un-realistically fast. They are the A2A P-51H and the Alphasim DeHavilland Hornet. Both of these are FS9 planes, but the P-51H works just fine in FSX. The Hornet has short legs, so it's better for, well, short legs. Until and unless these two speed demons are deemed illegal for having “hot” flight models, they are legal, and well represented in these races. This is just a basic overview of this subject. Others may want to add to or revise my remarks.

Exceptions: Of course, why wouldn't there be? There are also “wildcard” legs, and legs that allow jets, over some parts of the world. Sometimes. We have to wait for the rules to come out...

AussieMan
January 3rd, 2014, 17:44
I have the current Duenna working and showing all greens in P3Dv1.4 and using Active Sky.

robert41
January 4th, 2014, 20:08
I think my biggest issue is having the time to fly a specifically scheduled event. Last years RTW race was out because of my work schedule. Same with last fall's transcontinental event. Last minute, had to work that day. Perhaps I could participate in another way.

PRB
January 5th, 2014, 03:51
I think my biggest issue is having the time to fly a specifically scheduled event. Last years RTW race was out because of my work schedule. Same with last fall's transcontinental event. Last minute, had to work that day. Perhaps I could participate in another way.

One thing about not having time. This event will last about four days, non-stop, day and night. At any point during that time, there will be a pilot in the air, on a two hour leg, and the next leg will need to be flown. So, if, at any time during those four days, you have a couple of hours free, you drop by and see if anyone is setup for the next leg, and if not, you could fly it. The exceptions to this would be if the next or current leg is one of the "wildcard" legs, which can be quite long sometimes. Also, there are indeed other ways to help. Sitting at the destination airport and reporting weather conditions and terrain "features" to avoid is always very helpful. It's a two hour leg, you'll have time to shoot a couple approaches, from each end of the runway, to see which has the least amount of these "features" to deal with.

If you're online, your plane will be visible to the incoming pilot at ten miles. This is sometimes helpful as well, especially in bad weather. If there are already ten planes parked at the airport, online, that can become a problem in itself, as it will drag frame rates down to dangerous levels for the inbound pilot. It's been a while since we've had that problem, however...

teson1
January 5th, 2014, 17:27
I definitely will participate.
This is still the best event of the year.
Nothing equals it in terms of tension of pushing through night rain and storm to advance the team, and online cameraderie.

Nevertheless I have a few gripes where I see room for improvement to foster participation to the race:

1) Length of the race/running the race into the work week.

The race running till the middle of the week is pretty tough on the ballance between sim/private/work life, and by wednesday dedicated pilots get pretty drained after several nights with little sleep.
Also, it can get very pretty lonely Tue/Wed morning around 8:00Z when US ppl go to bed.

I'd appreciate if the race could be run on week-ends only.
Something like this: Split the race in two parts and run over two week-ends.

Week-end 1 (about 35-40 hrs of race time):
Start as usual around 15:00Z on 1st saturday.
Run the race non-stop until sunday night. Last flights to start not later than something like 6:00Z monday morning (asia ppl + late US ppl + early EU ppl online).

Then Race stops for the teams where these flights ended till the next WE.

Week-end 2:
Start friday evening something like 24:00Z (US ppl home from work).
Run non-stop to the finish line (probably 35-50 hrs flight time remaining judging from last races).

IMO that would allow for a more healthy compromise between work and sim life and would reduce the stress of the race (and I suspect that Fri/sat nights more pilots would be online than Mon/Tue/Wed nights)

2) Apparent steep learning curve for Newcomers, and fears of hurting the team.

I remember my trepidation when joining the RTWR about letting the team down by crashing or other newbie errors.

But that has been greatly addressed by the Rookie Mulligans introduced last year, which should definitely be continued into this year (and maybe even in addition to the free baton transfer a landing crash should be accepted as valid flight with a moderate penalty like 30 min ?).
With the Rookie Mulligan a newcomer making an error has very little risk of hurting the team as long as he's flying with a solid wingman, which would take a heavy weight off a newcomer's shoulder.

Looking forward to meet ya all in the race :)

Milton Shupe
January 5th, 2014, 19:21
I like your concept Teson; maybe the committee can shape something like that. Thank you for your thoughts.

crashaz
January 6th, 2014, 13:51
I'm in once again!

Had Tom Allensworth ask me at Simcon why I wasn't flying with Avsim.... told him I want to fly with Milton! He understood. :adoration:

Milton Shupe
January 6th, 2014, 14:15
I'm in once again!

Had Tom Allensworth ask me at Simcon why I wasn't flying with Avsim.... told him I want to fly with Milton! He understood. :adoration:

Ha! Now that's funny no matter who you are :-)

Thanks and know that I feel privileged to fly with the SOH team. :wiggle:

Tako_Kichi
January 9th, 2014, 10:02
The first practice has started so those who've shown an interest jump in and give it a go!

The practice thread can be found in the RTWR forum:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84681-RTWR-2014-Practice-1-quot-See-The-USA-quot&p=859198&posted=1#post859198

MM
January 9th, 2014, 20:18
Pat, it would be wonderful if we could get the Duenna to work in a P3D environment. I have PM'd you asking for some details. Any help would be much appreciated by all. If you get a chance to respond, that would be great.
Thanks,
Mike

AussieMan
January 9th, 2014, 20:29
Pat, it would be wonderful if we could get the Duenna to work in a P3D environment. I have PM'd you asking for some details. Any help would be much appreciated by all. If you get a chance to respond, that would be great. Thanks, Mike

Mike,

I will get you some screenshots later tonight and post them for you.

AussieMan
January 9th, 2014, 23:38
Mike, you have a PM.

PRB
January 11th, 2014, 04:55
I'm posting this here and in the practice thread, to show what a "real" race leg looks like. When the pilot flying the current leg has landed, but not before that pilot has posted the baton is free, you make your post. By this time you're sitting on the runway, real weather loaded, local time of day set, duenna launched, and destination airport punched into the GPS. Of course you've been in this state for the five minutes waiting for the baton holder to land, hoping the weather gets better (it won't) and wondering why it's taking so long for the sun to come up. The post is simply this:

I have the baton, KVAY - KDPL, WBS P-51D (restored).

Now just hope I don't crash while demonstrating a "real" race leg...

PRB
January 11th, 2014, 05:02
If you are flying as "wingman" (wing person!) to this flight, you would do the same as above, and post "I am flying wing to PRB, A2A P-47D" Flying as wing, BTW, is a great way to do a first leg. You get to do all the things you do as a baton holder, but the pressure is less.

PRB
January 11th, 2014, 05:23
You should make frequent posts letting the team know of your status. This way the next pilot, waiting for you to land, has some idea of how much time there is to grab a hotdog and coffee from the diner next to the control tower. Even if you're online and telling lies on TeamSpeak, this is still important. The next pilot may not be online, but just checking this the race thread.

30 minutes out...

PRB
January 11th, 2014, 05:44
At some point you would make a post something like "15 minutes out. Last post before landing." Usually because you've kicked off the auto pilot and will be too busy to post until on the ground.

PRB
January 11th, 2014, 06:07
As soon as you land, you post: The baton is free at KDPL!

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=bZLuG2XzgYL1JYM1kU1Ua9wIgU

Also post the link to the duenna site that's in the text file the duenna makes at the end of your flight. And pots the jpg image too. You can make your "baton free" post with no attachments, so the next pilot can go. You have an hour to post the "paper work" validating your flight.

PRB
January 11th, 2014, 06:14
Style points if you take some screen shots along the way, to add credibility to your tall tales and sea stories (lies) about your flight. See? easy as that. Just don't crash, like I almost did on take off. It had been a while since I've flown this bird, and Her-Torkyness tried to kill me, swerving to and fro down the narrow runway... And it's short, so I tried to yank the beaste into the air at the last minute, then heard that Accu-Feel rumble that told me I was in grave danger (is there any other kind?). Made it though!

Tako_Kichi
January 11th, 2014, 11:50
NOTAM

There has been a news release in the RTWR forum, please read and discuss.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84739-RTWR-2014-Early-News-and-Discussion

Tako_Kichi
January 12th, 2014, 13:17
Practice 2 has started and the details are here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84783-RTWR-2014-Practice-2-quot-Long-Year-Express-quot

All you folks who said you were interested NOW is the time to jump in and get your feet wet.

If you have any questions about how to get started then shout up as there are many on the team more than willing to hold your hand to get you flying.

The bottom line is that if we don't get enough pilots we will not be able to participate!

Tako_Kichi
January 17th, 2014, 09:08
Practice 3 has started and the details are here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84888-RTWR-2014-Practice-3-quot-Headin-South-quot

All you folks who said you were interested NOW is the time to jump in and get your feet wet as this is likely to be the last practice before the race starts.

If you have any questions about how to get started then shout up as there are many on the team more than willing to hold your hand to get you flying.

The bottom line is that if we don't get enough pilots we will not be able to participate!

Viper007
January 19th, 2014, 10:53
Hello,

I have flown in RTW before; P38, F7F I think which I 'graduated' to and I find is an awesome plane (if it is the blue one as I recall); I just need to find the whitelist; download locations etc.

I am in if you will have me but I have a few questions; I think there is another thread for those and I will post them there; I know how to connect an all but my biggest concern is the server and ow to connect to it; there have always seem to be problems in this area (not here with you guys cause I never flown here as I recall !); it is with those darndable port numbers 12345 or whatever HAHA (!) and the limit to the nimber of players that can connect and people getting bumped or not being able to connect cause some people are already logged in etc...!

I am wondering if you guys can set up a Teamspeak class on server connecting !

I will tell you that other groups have tried VPN with some success; there is also Hamachi which I will be testing on my own in my own flight simming ventures and have used before; also with good success and ease of use (AND the ability to see each others' models not that that is needed here !); this stuff probly doesnt apply here but I think player inter-connectivity has always been an issue with MS Flight sim.

So I will hop on over to the discussions pages; the practice leg #3 I see you all went thru 2 practice already !

I have also made some Livestream videos of my flightsimming ventures; my upstream is slow and I wont be streaming if I fly in the race due to lagg concerns; I will be getting a faster IP service for streaming in March so I will be streaming flightsim alot I hope !

I have 2 streaming sites that are listed on my website if anyone is interested; I am updating that and restarting my Special Ops Org for Vatsim as well; might as well give that another try too !

Hope to chat with you all soon...

Viper007