PDA

View Full Version : Which Helo to purchase

gray eagle
December 30th, 2013, 06:47
I am interested in the Aerosoft Jayhawk/Seahawk ; even though they say it is for FSX, I see that they put the FS2004/FSX on their data description.
It is a little pricy for me however they have a few ship and missions included and tout that the tail fold animation is accurate and other operational
aspects, and the details and accurate yada-yada-yada.....

I am interested in a payware version that offers a US Navy version as well, The Aerosoft would be a slam dunk in that regards. But I am curious if
there is a DEV that has created a Blackhawk that would include some/any Navy Seahawks as well and would be FSX native.

Looking for the best bank for the buck. :engel016:

Daube
December 30th, 2013, 07:33
I believe the one you mention first is indeed FSX native.
On the feelthere website I found on google, it is explicitely written that the model is not a port-over, and is has bump-maps and self-shadows (impossible with FS9 port-overs).
I don't know anything about this model though, about the quality or the flight model etc...

PS: actually, the same exact description can be read on the aerosoft site:
http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd80!0,6645722210,10289_1

Full FSX standard
All the aircraft files have been reworked to be fully FSX standard this not a simple port from FS2004! Includes all the latest FSX goodies.

Bump maps (this adds a 3d effect to a simple 2d texture, for example to show edges on hatches and rivets),
Specular lighting maps (making reflections more realistic),
Self-shading (aircrafts parts cast shades on other aircraft parts),
All textures in DDS format (faster decompressing if your graphics card supports it),
Fall back textures (all models share some textures, saving you disk space and loading time when you switch models),
Prepared for DX10 graphics cards.

Daube
December 30th, 2013, 07:37
There is also a Blackhawk recently made by Cera, but that one has a different cockpit instrumentation, and there is no Navy variant, I think...

gray eagle
December 30th, 2013, 07:44
There is also a Blackhawk recently made by Cera, but that one has a different cockpit instrumentation, and there is no Navy variant, I think...

Thanks for pointing that out about the Aerosoft version. I may just go with that one.

JimmyRFR
December 30th, 2013, 07:49
I have both the Aerosoft Seahawk/Jayhawk package as well as the Cera UH-60L; although I don't have a ton of time yet in the Aerosoft version (picked it up during the Black Friday sales), I do in the Cera, and in my opinion the Cera version is superior in both visuals and FDE. Plus, there are already a lot of brilliant Navy paints for it.

However, it is of course the wrong version, and as mentioned has a different instrumentation package, so if you're a stickler for that sort of detail, then the Cera UH-60 may not fit the bill.

Just my two cents.

gray eagle
December 30th, 2013, 08:38
I have both the Aerosoft Seahawk/Jayhawk package as well as the Cera UH-60L; although I don't have a ton of time yet in the Aerosoft version (picked it up during the Black Friday sales), I do in the Cera, and in my opinion the Cera version is superior in both visuals and FDE. Plus, there are already a lot of brilliant Navy paints for it.

However, it is of course the wrong version, and as mentioned has a different instrumentation package, so if you're a stickler for that sort of detail, then the Cera UH-60 may not fit the bill.

Just my two cents.

Thank you Jimmy, your two cents is worth more then that to me. I have researched the Cerasim version on their page and noted their video and pics and the in depth
description. The cera version runs at about the same price as the Aerosoft version but I do like the extra goodies i.e. ships and mission(s) they (Aerosoft) throw in.

Snurdley
December 30th, 2013, 09:00
I believe the Virtavia Blackhawk is still on sale at PCAviator for around $17 US. It's not a Seahawk but there are Navy and Coastie paints for it if you aren't too fussy. I'm not a huge fan of theirs but this has been one of my happier experiences.

paul day
December 30th, 2013, 11:26
If you choose between Virtavia/Alphasim and Aerosoft products, there is a repainter on Flightsim called Antonio Diaz, who has done a good selection of colourful Navy repaints for both models.

Regards Paul Day.

WarHorse47
December 30th, 2013, 12:27
Here's a few shots of the Cera Blackhawk in some addon Navy skins by Wombat if you're interested..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%2008/2013-12-20_18-28-48-304_zpsd3537e93.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%2008/2013-12-20_8-52-40-442_zps380a37d4.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%2008/2013-12-21_11-58-35-154_zps591ce0bd.jpg

Victory103
December 30th, 2013, 13:10
Got'em all and I would recommend the Cera, with "S" repaints. The AS is heavy on frames for most people, and the USS Boxer is nice, but again heavy on frames. You can use AICarriers and make up your own missions with simobjects, and there are plenty of freeware, good framerate CG's out to land on. The glass in the AS can be finicky in FSX, no glass in the Cera so some of your accuracy goes away without the a true MH-60S cockpit. In the freeware department, take a look a the mods going on to the Hovercontrol JM H-60 series, HH-60H/HH-60G/MH-60J,T on the way out. FS9 port over, but depends on what you want to do in the sim. Any other questions just ask, very partial to this airframe having spent 19yrs of my mil career with it!

hae5904
December 30th, 2013, 13:35
I agree with Victory 103, the Cera Blackhawk is a charm on framerates, while the much older Aerosoft one is way heavy!

Hank

gray eagle
December 30th, 2013, 14:17
Got'em all and I would recommend the Cera, with "S" repaints. The AS is heavy on frames for most people, and the USS Boxer is nice, but again heavy on frames. You can use AICarriers and make up your own missions with simobjects, and there are plenty of freeware, good framerate CG's out to land on. The glass in the AS can be finicky in FSX, no glass in the Cera so some of your accuracy goes away without the a true MH-60S cockpit. In the freeware department, take a look a the mods going on to the Hovercontrol JM H-60 series, HH-60H/HH-60G/MH-60J,T on the way out. FS9 port over, but depends on what you want to do in the sim. Any other questions just ask, very partial to this airframe having spent 19yrs of my mil career with it!

I like what you say about the Cera. PC Aviation doesn't sell that one. Wanted to get the 10% discount with it. The others are carried and have the discount.
With you having all of them, then I can really appreciate your candor when you recommend the Cerra. I am insterested in Navy repaints that would work with it.
What are "S" repaints? Don't want any Frame rate hogs that turn into a slide show. And I do have AI carriers. I don't know about the Missions. DO they make a free mission and
would it wourk with AI carriers.

All is all I may just bite the $$$ bullet and get this one. Wish I could find it on sale a little cheaper though.

Thank you et all for your most helpful advise. :ernaehrung004: I was going to purchase the Aerosoft tomorrow and get addition 10% off. But I trust you and others that
have and like the Cerra better. And I will be looking for those Navy variants.

Victory103
December 30th, 2013, 17:39
The "S" was short for Sierra, ie MH-60S Knighthawk. I had the Aerosoft since FS9, when the SH-60B only had 1 pilot! The package deal is a good price, although I probably fly the Jayhawk more to sim SAR missions. With AICarriers, you do not need to be in the FSX mission system to "drop-in" objects that same as you do with the boats. Then add the hoist/sling aircraft.cfg entries. There are several repaints out for the Seahawk, and I highly suggest adding the Dirk K. Helo Autopilot to your panel, bi-passing the included AFCS that comes with the Aerosoft.

Maybe later you can buy the Cera, and I hope a small service pack is released next year.