PDA

View Full Version : Duenna help - Vista x64

PRB
January 18th, 2009, 14:12
Did a test flight with the new system to make sure the duenna works. It did - almost.

I got a good flight log, but no map image. Usually if the duenna can't make a map, it makes an image with the "no map available" image inside, but I don't even get that. No map, no error, all green on the top panel, and a good flight log text file.

Any Vista 64 users out there ever see this?

It was a rather short flight... I'll try a longer one.

PRB
January 18th, 2009, 16:28
Update:

Did a flight from KNLC to KLAX. It's up on the RTW duenna tracker site as an "ok" flight. Same with the flight log text file, as before. Still no image. In the duenna's output folder there is an image file of the correct filename, but the size is 0k, and, of course, contains no image. Seems like duenna was trying to make the image file, but failed at some point, for some reason.

RFields
January 18th, 2009, 17:11
What rights does the folder have? John recommends giving both the group with your ID and Users group "Full Control" rights to the Duenna folder and sub-folders.

Where is it located?

I've found not putting Duenna in Program Files, especially not in Program Files (x86) in Vista 64 minimizes such errors.

Despite you being a member of the administrator group, Duenna files are not written to folders with the user permissions, but with the restricted permissions of non-64 bit applications.

I put everything related to FS under a folder C:\MS_Games and nothing under Program Files.

In the Duenna folders, you should have a file named - gcm_dummy.gif - that is where Duenna gets the No Image Available graphic.

But I do wonder about how Duenna would write a successful .JPG file - because pulling the image from a web source would be seen as suspicious activity by Duenna.

Duenna is not the only program with this type of problem - we had issues with Microsoft Office and templates located in Program Files at the company where I worked. Microsoft told us that no programs have rights to write/modify certain types of files in Program Files - even their own.

PRB
January 19th, 2009, 04:09
Thanks, Reggie.

I have all my flight sim programs installed on the E: drive, including the duenna. I went to the security settings and gave “everyone” “full” control over duenna’s folder, but that didn’t work either. It doesn’t seem to me to be a rights issue, because the text file is being generated fine, and in fact the image file is being generated too, it just has no data in it (size=0). I also have User Accounts Control (UAC) turned off. Did that first! Very strange.

Dangerousdave26
January 19th, 2009, 04:52
I think I remember Tom (fliger747) stating he could not get Duenna to work with UAC turned off. It had to be on for it to work for him.

Have you right clicked on the .exe file and set it to run as an admin?

Also check your firewall and make sure that the Duenna is an exception. That should not be the problem as it is registering with the site as a flight but set it anyway.

That is the only thing else I can think of.

PRB
January 19th, 2009, 16:31
Tried turning UAC back on. Also discovered that Vista's built-in firewall was on, so I turned that off and tried it again, with no change. I did discover that in fact the image file is being generated... In addition to the 0-sized jpg with the correct file name that shows up in the OUTPUT folder with the latest date (and the text file), there is a GIF file being generated with the filename $GCM_TEMP.GIF, and this image is the image that's supposed to be placed in the OUTPUT/DATE folder, and it gets replaced each flight. Is that bizzare, or what?

N6722C
January 19th, 2009, 16:42
Duenna -- VISTA :help:

RUN as Duenna as ADMINISTRATOR, then it will produce maps etc :applause:

Geoff

PRB
January 19th, 2009, 16:49
I wish that were so! I've been running it as admin for the last eight or so tries! I know it does work with Vista 64, since others have got it to work fine. Just have to figure it out. Not sure what to try next, though...

fliger747
January 19th, 2009, 16:56
I feel blessed that my mainframe still runs XP......

I don't remember what fixed the Duenna for Vista. File management remains a continuing irritation!

Good Luck: T.

PRB
January 19th, 2009, 17:26
It works now!
:Banane31::Banane09:

Here's what I did:

I uninstalled the latest version, 0.801 (the one that wasn't working) and installed version 0.610. That one worked, and produced the desired files. Then I copied the version 0.801 executable from the XP machine, and ran that one on the next test flight. It worked. This is sort of interesting because when I installed 801 the first time, it wouldn't even run. It errored out looking for an *.OCX file. I copied that file from the XP box, and that allowed it to run, but with no images. I'm thinking that the good installation of 610 installed all the required files, which then allowed 801 to work.

srgalahad
January 19th, 2009, 20:53
Duly noted Paul. Duenna on the Vista machine comes up soon on my to-do list. Thanks for being the trouble-shooter :ernae: