PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Air Arm related items...and skins!

UncleTgt
December 28th, 2013, 14:05
Since my PC doesn't like AF Scrubs Firefly anymore, I took a look at Baldy's original.

Grafted on some new weapons & loadouts, & got my brushes out ...

tried reworking air & cfg files to help the AI behave, & get closer to real specs on performance

UncleTgt
December 28th, 2013, 14:09
Could I make the de-mirrored stocker repaints fit the FDG2 Corsair II model?

With a bit of shoving & pushing, yes I can ... first try pics

UncleTgt
December 28th, 2013, 14:12
With the MkII process worked out, I wondered about creating a mkIV. So I took the MkII model & combined it with the F4U-1D folder ...

UncleTgt
December 28th, 2013, 14:25
I always liked Morton's skins for the Aeroplane Heaven Seafire IIC/III, & when I did Reynold's skin I had worked up a half-decent "blank" from one of his skins to use as a master.

So I slapped some different decals on & created a set of Seafire IIC/ III skins ... as I researched them I found a bewildering array of sub-types, Mik II's with clipped wings/ without, with 3 blade props or 4 blade props, different wing blisters etc. So, these are best thought of as a selection of "impressions"...

For the MkIIIs I'm tweaking the loadouts, specifically to try & get the P40 drop tank load out used by 880 squadron over Japan in the last weeks of the war.

Rami
December 28th, 2013, 14:28
Since my PC doesn't like AF Scrubs Firefly anymore, I took a look at Baldy's original.

Grafted on some new weapons & loadouts, & got my brushes out ...

tried reworking air & cfg files to help the AI behave, & get closer to real specs on performance

Uncle,

Please excuse a bloody yank for saying this, but...jolly good work! :encouragement:

Any chance you could throw in a Norwegian skin for the attacks on the Tirpitz? :santahat:

UncleTgt
December 29th, 2013, 12:43
Rami,

Firefly pack ETO skins covers the Tirpitz strikes, the screenies don't really show it :playful:

"The aircraft are:
1770 Squadron FAA (HMS Indefatigable)
5M Operation Mascot, Tirpitz strikes, July 1944. First production a/c.
4C Palembang trikes, Sumatra, January 1945
281 Operation Iceberg, off Formosa, April 1945. Piloted by Sub Lt Phil Stott, who became the Royal Navy's sole Firefly ace on 12th April 1945 off Kumi Island.
1771 Squadron FAA (HMS Implacable)
4L Tirpitz strikes, October 1944. Later on this aircraft coded 275 "Evelyn Tentions", the first UK aircraft to fly over the Japanes Home Islands in July 1945
Q Lost during Tirpitz strikes, 26 October 1944. Pilot Sub Lt RM Shaw (RNZN), & observer Sub Lt GM Smith KIA.
277 "Lucy Quipment" Japanese Home Islands, July 1945"

Some of the Seafire skins will also be approriate (still doing the readme) for instance I o G was Reynold's mount when he shot down a couple of Bv138s off Norway. Still musing over the color of the code letters ...

Haven't looked at Tirpitz strike Corsair skins, but seeing as I have the template sorted, it shouldn't be too hard.

gius
December 29th, 2013, 13:06
Uncle,
This is a splendid work,
i'm anxious to download them.!!!!!!

Rami
December 29th, 2013, 14:28
Rami,

Firefly pack ETO skins covers the Tirpitz strikes, the screenies don't really show it :playful:

"The aircraft are:
281 Operation Iceberg, off Formosa, April 1945. Piloted by Sub Lt Phil Stott, who became the Royal Navy's sole Firefly ace on 12th April 1945 off Kumi Island.
4L Tirpitz strikes, October 1944. Later on this aircraft coded 275 "Evelyn Tentions", the first UK aircraft to fly over the Japanes Home Islands in July 1945
Q Lost during Tirpitz strikes, 26 October 1944. Pilot Sub Lt RM Shaw (RNZN), & observer Sub Lt GM Smith KIA.
277 "Lucy Quipment" Japanese Home Islands, July 1945"

UncleTgt,

Some of the Seafire skins will also be approriate (still doing the readme) for instance I o G was Reynold's mount when he shot down a couple of Bv138s off Norway. Still musing over the color of the code letters ...

Haven't looked at Tirpitz strike Corsair skins, but seeing as I have the template sorted, it shouldn't be too hard.

Outstanding, thank you! :encouragement:

bearcat241
December 29th, 2013, 17:51
Well done!...:redfire::applause:

Oglivie
December 29th, 2013, 19:51
Yes indeed, they look outstanding.

Thanks UncleTgt, I admire your talent and I'm in the line-up to download the aircraft!

Devildog73
December 30th, 2013, 00:14
See how you are!!??

Now I have to go in and redo the skins on some of the aircraft in the BPF for Meridian, Iceberg, and Okinawa.......lol.

Actually, your firefly mods and skins are working out quite nicely! I made the changes as soon as I got them from you.

The AI Fireflies are now bombing and rocketing the bloody 4377 out of the IJAAF bases and refineries and making it back to the carriers.

Thank you so much!

UncleTgt
December 30th, 2013, 07:05
Thank you for your encouragement.:redface-new:

The Firefly skinpack is in the queue - the airfile & config are not perfect by any means, but they're OK for AI strike use. Thanks to DD73 & Talon for helping me out with understanding sections from the air file & dp file, the rest is pretty much a result of lots of trial & error ...:very_drunk:

I'll hold off with the Spits until I've finished the airfile & more realistic dp entries for it, & the Corsairs will be after that.

beepee
December 30th, 2013, 08:02
Thank you for your encouragement.:redface-new:

The Firefly skinpack is in the queue - the airfile & config are not perfect by any means, but they're OK for AI strike use. Thanks to DD73 & Talon for helping me out with understanding sections from the air file & dp file, the rest is pretty much a result of lots of trial & error ...:very_drunk:

I'll hold off with the Spits until I've finished the airfile & more realistic dp entries for it, & the Corsairs will be after that.

UncleTgt : Thank you in advance for all those new birds, they look great

Happy new year

UncleTgt
December 30th, 2013, 09:18
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/166713884185547549.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - British

Description: Fairey Fiefly MkI skinpack by UncleTgt

These are a collection of repaints for Baldy's Fairey Firefly MkI for CFS 2.

The aircraft are:

281 Operation Iceberg, off Formosa, April 1945. Piloted by Sub Lt Phil Stott, who became the Royal Navy's sole Firefly ace on
12th April 1945 off Kumi Island.

4L Tirpitz strikes, October 1944. Later on this aircraft coded 275 "Evelyn Tentions", the first UK aircraft to fly over the Japanese Home Islands in July 1945.

277 "Lucy Quipment" Japanese Home Islands, July 1945.

Also includes, updated kelti-style prop, new dp, air & cfg files.

The cfg corrects eye viewpoint for VC, & adjusts prop rotation speed. The airfile is now AI friendly for ground attacks, & engine specs corrected for Mk1. Fuel tankage adjusted to published info & engine type corrected to liquid cooled. She flies closer to published Mk1 data, but range & ceiling are still off.

The dp file had a/c speeds corrected to kph, & modified kelti exhaust effect points. I added loadouts using Bismark 13's Beaufighter weapons (WD_beauTFX, available at SOH), & drop tanks from AH Hurricane IIB, (AH Hurricane IIB, available at SOH).

To install, unzip the download and place your chosen files in the correct folder(s) for the Fairey Firefly MkI within the aircraft folder in your CFS2 Main Directory. Back up any originals & replace them with these.

Thanks to Baldy for a great aircraft.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions.

UncleTgt,

DEC 2013

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Baldy Firefly Mk1 skinpack UT.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=17901&catid=58)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
December 30th, 2013, 14:24
UncleTgt,

Once again, please allow me to thank you for all of your hard work! :ernaehrung004:

Worthless
December 30th, 2013, 15:39
Nicely done UT. I just got them. This has been a great Christmas. Thanks!

baldy
December 31st, 2013, 02:08
Hi

I look in occasionally but this is the first time I've logged on for some time and I'd just like to say what a great job UncleTgt is doing by refreshing these aircraft -- his paint jobs certainly made my efforts look good and it's obvious he's continuing the good work.

Happy New Year to all at SOH

baldy

Devildog73
December 31st, 2013, 13:45
AND...............

I have flown them in missions with various loadouts.

They work GREAT!!!

Thanks Uncle Tgt! :very_drunk:

UncleTgt
January 2nd, 2014, 05:52
just to keep the interest going.

Tirpitz Strike Seafire & Corsair, plus a late war BPF Corsair from 1834 FAA Squadron. I'm doing different ETO & PTO/MTO pilots for both the Seafire & FDG Corsair, like I did with the Firefly.

UncleTgt
January 4th, 2014, 07:43
I redid the 807FAA HMS Hunter Indian Ocean skin & tweaked the model for extra shine... then did a camo skin as well.

Rami
January 5th, 2014, 01:41
UncleTgt,

This is outstanding. Thank you so much for all of your hard work! :ernaehrung004:

UncleTgt
January 6th, 2014, 03:49
One pack for the IIC, one pack for the LIII. In the queue ...

SPman
January 6th, 2014, 17:23
Superb work from another of our masters!

Thank you.

kelticheart
January 8th, 2014, 00:32
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Thank you!
KH :ernaehrung004:

misson
January 8th, 2014, 06:00
Thank u UT! these skins will be welcome!

hewman100
January 9th, 2014, 00:14
Top Drawer Sir! The Senior Service salutes you.

UncleTgt
January 9th, 2014, 23:49
I dug out the template used when I made the Operation Pedestal skin for Rami.

Still WIP, but won't take much to tidy up...

klausreiss
January 10th, 2014, 00:09
Great! That's it! Please release it!

Best wishes

UncleTgt
January 11th, 2014, 11:54
Its in the queue

Of course you know I did this previously for the OH Wildcat?

UncleTgt
January 11th, 2014, 15:40
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/906513894732234263.jpg

Description: F.A.A. Grumman Martlet IV skin by UncleTgt

This is a repaint for the Donationware F4F-4 Wildcat for CFS 2.

This aircraft is from 888 Squadron Fleet Air Arm November 1942, when aircraft from this squadron were based on H.M.S. Formidable during Operation Trch, the Allied Invasion of North Africa. This a/c is believed to have been flown by Lt Denis Jeram on 6th NOV 1942 when he scored his fifth kill, a Vichy French Block MB174 to become an ace.

To install,create a backup of your F4F-4 Wildcat textures. Unzip the download to a temporary folder & copy across your chosen texture files into the texture folder for the F4F-4, letting it overwrite the files there.

OR

Create a copy of your F4F-4 Wildcat aircraft & rename it. Replace the textures with the files included in this zip.

Thanks to FDGv2 group for a detailed model, all I did was to rework the textures back to a plain unmarked skin, then apply some camo & markings.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions.

UncleTgt,

JAN 2014

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FAA_Martlet IV Op Torch UT.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=17945&catid=58)

Rami
January 11th, 2014, 15:44
UncleTgt,

This is another outstanding piece of work! Thank you so very much! :ernaehrung004:

Blood_Hawk23
January 11th, 2014, 15:54
I like those alot. Outstanding work UT.

Why did they put US Navy on them. I know why they used the Roundles. was it for the same reason?

hewman100
January 15th, 2014, 12:40
Yes it was all part the same deception, although I believe it was only 888 Sqn Martlets and some of 820 Sqns Albacores that had it added.

UncleTgt
January 16th, 2014, 01:31
I found a reference to 5 x Formidable Corsairs being used as dive bombers during the Tirpitz strike, carrying an asymmetric load of centreline fuel tank, & 1000lb bomb under stbd wing root.

So, I'm modiying the dp file to reproduce - haven't tried taking off from a carrier yet...

bearcat241
January 16th, 2014, 04:07
All of your FAA skins rock UncleTgt, but these Corsairs are the ones i've been waiting patiently for since you first announced them early in the thread. Looking forward to the Seafires too! :encouragement:

Rami
January 16th, 2014, 04:40
I found a reference to 5 x Formidable Corsairs being used as dive bombers during the Tirpitz strike, carrying an asymmetric load of centreline fuel tank, & 1000lb bomb under stbd wing root.

So, I'm modiying the dp file to reproduce - haven't tried taking off from a carrier yet...

UncleTgt,

Fantastic work. I did something along those lines with asymmetrical payloads for the 20th Fighter Group!

Devildog73
January 16th, 2014, 06:14

Send it to me, I will write it into a mission as player and see if she will take off.

UncleTgt
January 16th, 2014, 07:05
DD73

Check your mail, its already sent (along with some repaint goodies...) :a1310:

Bearcat

The Seafires are already up

Corsair II won't be much longer, probably do Home Fleet & Eastern Fleet skin packs.

Corsair IV requires a little more thought, the FAA loadouts & weapons need to be very similar to the II, & simply using the corsair II model is OK, but not quite correct.

Plus I get distracted easily.... :costumed-smiley-034

UncleTgt
January 16th, 2014, 07:11
some details about the asymmetric dive bomber loadout

http://hmsformidable.com/Formy-recollections1.htm

Note the recollection says port wing, but any photos I've seen indicate stbd wing loading...

UncleTgt
January 22nd, 2014, 08:11
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/712613904045504461.jpg

Description: FDG2 Corsair Mk II Home Fleet skinpack by UncleTgt
These are a collection of repaints for the FDG2 Corsair MkII for CFS 2. This pack is Home Fleet & Mediterranean Fleet aircraft.
The aircraft are:
7R, JT443 Lt Percy Cole, 1830 FAA flying from HMS Illustrious during transit to the Indian Ocean, DEC 43
7S, JT565 1834 FAA flying from HMS Victorious during Tirpitz strikes MAY 44
7L, JT325 1841 FAA lead 1000lb dive bomber a/c flying off HMS Formidable, during Tirpitz strikes, AUG44
7T, JT404 1841 FAA flying off HMS Formidable during Tirpitz strikes AUG44
Also includes, updated dp using kelti-style exhaust effects & weapons from Bismark 13's Beaufighter
(WD_beauTFX, available at SOH)
To install, unzip the download and place your chosen files in the correct folder(s) for the FDG2 Corsair MkII within the aircraft folder in your CFS2 Main Directory. Back up any originals & replace them with these.
Thanks to
Fightertown Design Group for a great family of Corsair models.
This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions
UncleTgt
JAN 2014

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FDG2 Corsiar II skinpack Home Fleet UT.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=18042&catid=58)

UncleTgt
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/618613904049632702.jpg

Description: FDG2 Corsair Mk II Eastern Fleet skinpack 1 by UncleTgt
These are a collection of repaints for the FDG2 Corsair MkII for CFS 2. This pack is Eastern Fleet aircraft from their arrival in the Indian Ocean up to & including Operation Meridian.
The aircraft are:
7R, JT443 Lt Percy Cole, 1830 FAA flying from HMS Illustrious JUL 44
A7R, JT443 Lt Percy Cole, 1830 FAA flying from HMS Illustrious JAN 45
6K, JT297 Lt Munnock, 1833 FAA flying from HMS Illustrious JUL44
A6P, JT360, Lt AH Churchill, 1833 FAA flying off HMS Illustrious JAN45
7S, JT565, 1834 FAA flying off HMS Victorious DEC44
T7S, JT636 1834 FAA flying off HMS Victorious JAN45
T7D, JT383 Lt Leslie Durno, 1834 FAA flying off HMS Victorious JAN45
T8B, JT422 Lt Wally Knight, 1836 FAA flying off HMS Victorious DEC44
T8H, JT410 Sub Lt Don Sheppard, 1836 FAA flying off HMS Victorious JAN45
Also includes, updated dp using kelti-style exhaust effects & weapons from Bismark 13's Beaufighter
To install, unzip the download and place your chosen files in the correct folder(s) for the FDG2 Corsair MkII within the aircraft folder in your CFS2 Main Directory. Back up any originals & replace them with these.
Thanks to
UncleTgt
JAN 2014

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FDG Corsair II Eastern Fleets skinpack1 UT.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=18043&catid=58)

UncleTgt
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/822613904054071899.jpg

Description: FDG2 Corsair Mk II & IV Eastern Fleet skinpack 2 by UncleTgt
These are a collection of repaints for the FDG2 Corsair MkII for CFS 2. This pack is Eastern Fleet aircraft from Operation Iceberg & strikes over the Japanese Home Islands
The aircraft are:
147Q, JT443 poss. Lt Percy Cole, 1833 FAA flying from HMS Illustrious APR45
137P, JT631, 1836 FAA flying off HMS Victorious JUL45
120P, JT633 Lt Wally Knight, 1834 FAA flying off HMS Victorious JUL45
147P, JT443 1836 FAA flying off HMS Victorious MAY45 this is same a/c as 147Q After Illustrious withdrew her remaining were transferred to the other BPF carriers to replace losses
136P, JT537 Sub Lt Don Sheppard, 1836 FAA flying off HMS Victorious MAY45
plus a couple of Gloss Sea Blue Corsair IVs from HMS Formidable
115X, Lt "Hammy" Gray, 1841 FAA flying off HMS Formidable AUG 45
135X, 1842 FAA flying offf HMS Formidable JUL 45
The Corsair IVs really need the Corsair II model to be married with the F4U-1D airfile, payload & drop tank options - I'm still working on that.
The BPF didn't use much US ordinance, so the FDG2 F4U-1D payloads in the dp are far too extensive, but the Corsair MkII payloads are not extensive enough.
Thanks to
UncleTgt
JAN 2014

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FDG FAA Corsair Eastern Fleets skinpack 2 UT.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=18044&catid=58)

Devildog73
January 22nd, 2014, 08:50
BRAVO!

hip-hip!!:applause:

UncleTgt
January 22nd, 2014, 11:56
I know they're big packs, but DD73 did want as many carrier/ squadron combos as I could find ...:cower:

Anyway, with a couple of these you can follow some airframe/ pilot combos as they transit from Home Fleet to Indian Ocean, to flying with the BPF off the Japanese Home Islands.

Rami
January 22nd, 2014, 16:26
UncleTgt,

This is outstanding, I will certainly take advantage of this for the Tirpitz missions. Thank you! :triumphant:

Talon
January 22nd, 2014, 19:53
Outstanding UT,I'm almost tempted to fly for the FAA.

kelticheart
January 23rd, 2014, 01:09
Holy smokes, what a huge job!

:applause: :encouragement: :applause:

Splendid liveries, as always.

Thank you, UncleTgt!
KH :ernaehrung004:

skylane
January 23rd, 2014, 02:10
Beautiful Skins, UncleTgt! Thank you!

Captain Kurt
January 23rd, 2014, 14:14
Nice work indeed, Thank you.

Devildog73
January 24th, 2014, 11:21
Uncle Tgt,

I sincerely hope that my next class is less taxing than this one.

I have 5 papers due in this class by 15 February, after reading 3 text books, and doing a research paper on the early Moravian reformers from Bohemia, now the Czech Republic.

Just taking a break from studies to at least read about what is going on in my hobby while I am sidelined....lol.

Got to stay with the studies though cause after military retirement this summer, I need something that will pay my membership dues to the basement.................(It's s joke Ickie).

Devildog73
January 24th, 2014, 12:31
BTW,

I just did two carrier take offs with the asymmetric dive bomber loadout from the HMS Illustrious.

Hold the brakes and spin up the RPMs, hit WEP and release the brakes, give one "F" of flaps at the bridge super structure, and just as you hit the bow of the deck hit the "G" to pull up the gear.

You will drop below the deck and with a tiny bit of up elevator (not too much) you will not hit water and gain speed and altitude.

Don't try to climb out too soon or too steep. Wait until you have 130 knots before pulling up your flaps and turning off your WEP.

You did most EXCELLENT, Uncle Tgt!!

Cheers!

PS:

My HMS Illustrious and other BPF Fleet carriers are modified to place the start point back at the stern of the deck.

The modification is in the README txt when it comes out. If you don't modify the ship.cfg I am not sure you will get airborne.

Rami
January 30th, 2014, 11:21
UncleTgt,

The first takeoff attempt, I nearly buried by right wingtip in the ground. It takes practice, but I've got the hang of it now. Thanks, I'll use this in the Tirpitz pack!