PDA

View Full Version : Guess where ?

Curtis P40
December 27th, 2013, 18:49
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/s403x403/1466289_652782531450954_82023891_n.jpg

Panther_99FS
December 27th, 2013, 19:42
Dunno but some priceless stuff there!

TARPSBird
December 27th, 2013, 23:21
Here are some more aircraft at (I think) the same airfield.

Curtis P40
December 28th, 2013, 06:56
Not any guesses for a corn field in the middle of Indiana...I'm shocked :devilish:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freeman-Field-Recovery-Team/100776559984890

CWOJackson
December 28th, 2013, 07:51
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/s403x403/1466289_652782531450954_82023891_n.jpg

Kimpo Field, Korea

Freeman Field is a fascinating place. It's where most aircraft ended up after Wright Field was done with them.

brad kaste
December 28th, 2013, 09:02
That's always the shame of it. These priceless (now) warbirds,....either US, Japanese, German, or British aircraft that went to the scrap heap after WWII. If only someone or gov. agency had the foresight to keep a few dozen of each airplane afterwards for posterity's sake. I'm not talking about building a special hangar to hold onto these aircraft for the next sixty years or so,....the Japanese and German aircraft could have easily been shipped to a desert area in Arizona,....secure some tarps on them....and leave them. Eventually,...parcel these aircraft out (at a tidy profit too) to various air museums throughout the US. And let them fix them up. Most museums would love to get their hands on these scarce as hen's teeth fighters and bombers from the WWII era. (Yes,...I know governments are not into keeping onto things,...just the efficiency of getting rid of things.)

Skyhawk_310R
December 28th, 2013, 19:06
Better then than now. It is now official US government policy to scrap all military aircraft before allowed to be acquired by civilians! They will be held in the boneyard for spare parts collection or sold to a foreign nation on the US government purchase list, or scrapped.

Unless that policy changes, the only museums in the world that will display surplus US military aircraft will be museums run by the US military branches.

At least at the end of World War II, a private citizen could actually purchase surplus aircraft, and many did.

Ken

TeaSea
December 29th, 2013, 17:17
I think you're all missing something. The U.S., and indeed much of the world, had just left a period of time where most manufactured goods existed purely for the war effort. No automobiles were manufactured in the U.S. During the war for example. People gave up their pots and pans to support the war effort. To post war planners, these aircraft, and the thousands and thousands of others that literally littered the world represented nothing more than raw material.

of course, now we would like to have a few of these.....but back then we'd rather have a decent car.

i do agree with Ken that current policy from DoD is foolish in the extreme. Frankly there are very few people who can afford to operate and maintain surplus military aircraft, so where's the risk?