View Full Version : Orbx - FTX: Global VECTOR

Pepere
December 27th, 2013, 08:23
has anyone tried this?

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2712

David

stovall
December 27th, 2013, 08:49
Hi David, been trying to download for over 24 hours with three download failures so far. It is 2.4 GB and the number of people trying to download it must be overwhelming. It sounds fantastic so when I get the job done I will post here. Hopefully someone has had more success than I with obtaining the file.

VCN-1
December 27th, 2013, 08:49
I bought it and was pleased with the it.

In the area I fly it added substantial detail. Shorelines, bridges, etc.

I am looking forward to the landclass release.

VCN-1

I posted this in the wrong forum. Old age I guess.
It should have been in the P3D forum.

alehead
December 27th, 2013, 12:21
If you use FTX Global, I would say this is a must...

I will wait till the first LC packs are released, then I will add this...

So I can remove UTX completely...

A

Andrew Entwistle

big-mike
December 27th, 2013, 12:40
I use Global and Vector with ST-LC or xClass from cloud9 and it looks very nice for me.
Mike

stovall
December 27th, 2013, 13:46
Finally got the download to complete. First impressions are good. The rivers around my area are now displayed. They were not there at all or so small at to be unrealistic. This makes the rivers the size they should be. The mess seems a bit exaggerated but at least there are canyons where there should be canyons. I have removed UTX completely. Very impressed so far.

Pepere
December 28th, 2013, 04:18
Ya - sounds like it is the way to go. I have UTX too so will have to remove and I also have orbx global land class so it should really look good. Will be downloading soon.

Thanks for all the info.

David

Roger
December 28th, 2013, 14:53
There are many issues but the "Pilots" developer seems to be on top of the issues for a future patch. However as the world is a big place it seems that there will be an enormous amount of work to do http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/180-ftx-global-vector-support/

dvj
December 28th, 2013, 18:09
It looks real good. These guys are fast and frequent with updates too.

Roger
December 28th, 2013, 18:49
ORBX have closed the thread where I made my concerns known. http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70629-uninstalled-ftx-global-vector/
This doesn't fill me with confidence as to the future of their vector product. However there is a bug reporting system in place http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70621-vector-v110-patch-change-log-in-development/

mjrhealth
December 28th, 2013, 21:31
Orbx have a dedicated forum for glitches and errors. It doesnt help if everyone starts a " oh my , my life is going to end", thread. Thye promised patches and they have always come through. So instead of complaining post where you are supoosed to so they can fix the issues. With millions of square miles of roads and terrain it is impossible to fix it all without help from users. But than I grew up in a world where people where patient, not I want it now.

Roger
December 29th, 2013, 03:23
Orbx have a dedicated forum for glitches and errors. It doesnt help if everyone starts a " oh my , my life is going to end", thread. Thye promised patches and they have always come through. So instead of complaining post where you are supoosed to so they can fix the issues. With millions of square miles of roads and terrain it is impossible to fix it all without help from users. But than I grew up in a world where people where patient, not I want it now.

I disagree. I have nearly every title ORBX have released and have enjoyed the experience of ORBX World greatly but I shall hold off with Vector for now as I don't have the time to beta test the world.

Montie
December 29th, 2013, 04:10
If anybody could take a screenshot of Cape Cod I would be happy. I have yet to get FTX Global let alone Global Vector.

Snurdley
December 29th, 2013, 08:59
The world is a big place. As they said themselves there are going to be things that are missed or not right. That's why they have a dedicated thread for such things and already a patch list going. I guess they could have waited a couple more months to release, but I'm glad to have it now, and the massive improvements certainly overshadow the bugs. I am a little disappointed that there is no way to select which roads to display, as in UT.

falcon409
December 29th, 2013, 09:00
I disagree. I have nearly every title ORBX have released and have enjoyed the experience of ORBX World greatly but I shall hold off with Vector for now as I don't have the time to beta test the world.
I haven't purchased any of that yet. Money is tight and none of it is cheap so it may be awhile. I have been looking over the Orbx forums and correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears now that even after installing Global Vector, there is an additional Mesh product that is needed in order for it to work? Not a lot of happy campers over there and apparently this "Mesh" (FTX_Global) is costing about $89 US. According to someone from the group that helped produce the Vector product, any SRTM based mesh "should" suffice, but several folks who are using FSGenesis, which is SRTM mesh, say there are still problems with elevation issues. They definitely have issues and while they do have dedicated threads going to address the issue, it doesn't help when JV comes on, and tells some of his customers that their complaints are BS and then locks the thread.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/180-ftx-global-vector-support/

kiki
December 29th, 2013, 09:14
I haven't purchased any of that yet. Money is tight and none of it is cheap so it may be awhile. I have been looking over the Orbx forums and correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears now that even after installing Global Vector, there is an additional Mesh product that is needed in order for it to work? Not a lot of happy campers over there and apparently this "Mesh" (FTX_Global) is costing about $89 US. According to someone from the group that helped produce the Vector product, any SRTM based mesh "should" suffice, but several folks who are using FSGenesis, which is SRTM mesh, say there are still problems with elevation issues. They definitely have issues and while they do have dedicated threads going to address the issue, it doesn't help when JV comes on, and tells some of his customers that their complaints are BS and then locks the thread.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/180-ftx-global-vector-support/

I have to say, that price is above my limits (no matter how good the product might be). Sadly. But luckily there are ORBX areas where I do 95% of my sim flights...

stovall
December 29th, 2013, 11:27
FTX Global Vector makes my home area very nice in both FSX and Prepar3D v2. There are some issues with the depth of the Sacramento River and the surrounding mesh. For me this is minor. I posted the issue over at the FTX Global Vector forum and got a reply in about 2 minutes that the issue was going to be fixed in the next update. Now that is service. Quality products plus great support. Can't ask for much more.

Meshman
December 29th, 2013, 12:08
...any SRTM based mesh "should" suffice, but several folks who are using FSGenesis, which is SRTM mesh, say there are still problems with elevation issues.

Mesh??? Did someone mention mesh??? :wavey:

Speaking as someone who has purchased a lot of the mesh that's out there in the payware market..., you are just as well to grab any freeware and use that. And there is freeware for most of the world. You'll not notice any specific quality issues, even with the (no names mentioned!) "Absolutely Greatest Ever To Be" brand. As a knowledgeable customer, I found their product to be a lot of hype and BS. Seems strange they would bash SRTM source, since their products are crammed full of it... :a1310:

And today seems like as good a day as any to get my Hawai'i v2 mesh uploaded to Avsim. No plateaus, no sunken airports in need of the best STOL plane. Just good honest mesh, without the BS. I hoping there will be plenty of it, come 2014 and after a couple of surgeries.

Sorry for the hijack! :biggrin-new:

gman5250
December 29th, 2013, 12:09
Hi all,

I'd suggest having a look at the user guide if you are considering the purchase of Global Vector. It will give you a comprehensive evaluation of your system requirements.

Global Vector is designed to work with FTX Global and with a quality SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) based mesh. Some people, including myself are experiencing some terrain anomaly's even with a SRTM mesh installed. The variations are dependent on the mesh so your anomalies may be different than mine. This is all going to be sorted out, but this will take a bit of time. I'm downloading the Pilots mesh at this time...will see if that covers my anomaly.

If you have installed Global Vector and are having an anomaly, you can always switch GV off in your scenery menu while you fly in that area. I've got a patch of the Owens river by KBIH that is about 100' deep. In real life it is a meandering stretch of river. Then again this is California/Owens Valley earthquake country and next week that stretch of river could very well be 100' deep.

If you are running stock FSX you will probably see some variations dependent upon the accuracy of the default FSX mesh, which varies in different regions of the globe.

The user guide can be downloaded for free over on the ORBX Support forums. FTX Global Vector Support/Download the User Guide Here.

YoYo
March 2nd, 2014, 23:07
Finally!

New version of FTX Vector http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74803-ftx-global-vector-v110-released/?p=685600 .

The first was disaster for me.

expat
March 3rd, 2014, 02:39
Yikes, this has all got a bit complicated! I have and like Orbx PNW and PF. When FTX Global was released I waited to watch the fallout/comments - and then forgot about it. So, now, you need to buy FOUR different packages? A bit daunting even leaving aside the costs of it all.

YoYo
March 3rd, 2014, 02:57
All separate regions from FTX has a "Vector" inside. This package is for whole the World.
I have too many addons from FTX including Global, and it works together.

Stan V.
March 3rd, 2014, 07:44
I haven't purchased any of that yet. Money is tight and none of it is cheap so it may be awhile. I have been looking over the Orbx forums and correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears now that even after installing Global Vector, there is an additional Mesh product that is needed in order for it to work? Not a lot of happy campers over there and apparently this "Mesh" (FTX_Global) is costing about $89 US. According to someone from the group that helped produce the Vector product, any SRTM based mesh "should" suffice, but several folks who are using FSGenesis, which is SRTM mesh, say there are still problems with elevation issues. They definitely have issues and while they do have dedicated threads going to address the issue, it doesn't help when JV comes on, and tells some of his customers that their complaints are BS and then locks the thread. http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/180-ftx-global-vector-support/ Ed, I agree that JV sometimes is quite hard headed when it comes to customer complaints but who isn't with the number and frequency of some of those posts by users who are clueless about what they are complaining about. But I just want to tweak your information a bit. First of all, Orbx produces its scenery offerings on two fundamentally different levels. On one level are the all-inclusive Regions which include landclass level of detail, custom made scenery textures, and mesh, all tailored for specific individual geographic areas. Several of these have been completed now but they are far from world wide in their totality. At the second product level, Orbx redesigned the whole of the FSX default texture set, and they sell them as a single world-wide product. Called FTX Global, it does not include a mesh component nor does it include any custom made vector data like detailed coastlines, roads, river or lake shoreline data. The latter is offered in separately priced companion product that you mentioned called FTX Global VECTOR. As mentioned, Orbx's two FTX Global products do not include a mesh component. Orbx, however, does sell (in the FlightSimStore) a separate downloadable global mesh product compatible with their Global product that is designed and produced by PILOTS - but the two are separate companies, albeit with a working relationship. By the way, PILOTS also independently markets a series of more accurate and more expensive set of mesh products under the label FS GLOBAL ULTIMATE. The latter are separated into geographic regions and sold separately. If you get them all, the ULTIMATE series can be even more costly. As an Orbx customer, you are not forced to purchase ANY mesh products, however. Orbx has said on their forum in many places that FTX Global will work with ANY mesh you may have or get including FSX Default mesh and FSGENESIS. Now, there is no question - scenery needs to have an associated mesh to depict terrain contours as we are accustomed to seeing them but there have always been multiple products, even some freeware, to meet that need so pick your poison. If you don't have a separate mesh product, your scenery will still "work" - and that goes for FS Global scenery too. It just won't look uber realistic because what 's there is less than perfect in reflecting the shape of the real world. You are absolutely correct in saying that the cumulative effect of buying a lot of Orbx's products is very expensive and if money is tight, obviously you have to make YOUR choices to match YOUR budget. What I am trying to say here is that you need to understand better what those choices are in terms of the products that are for sale versus your level of pain at not having them. I hope you can understand that a significant number of the Orbx customers who JV is ranting at on their forums are totally mixed up about the mesh products they "need" - which ironically is governed only by the level of detail they themselves require. They don't always differentiate between Orbx's products and PILOTS's products either and that can get quite frustrating to Orbx, as I am sure you understand.

big-mike
March 3rd, 2014, 08:06
What do you think---is it necessary to add SceneryTech or Cloud9 Lc`s to Vector?
I´m still confused about this.
Mike

YoYo
March 3rd, 2014, 08:08
I have all parts of SceneryTech, works OK with Vector 1.1 too.

Tested 1h Vector in buggy places (as I remember from 1.0). Looks like is OK now. New configurator tool was added too. Nice!

big-mike
March 3rd, 2014, 08:11
Thanks YoYo.
Mike

arrowmaker
August 24th, 2014, 23:12
Rather than opening a new thread I thought I'd bump this one. I have a query. Have I got this correct. If you are quite content to fly within the various Orbx packages then you don't actually require Vector? I have most of the Orbx US and UK area packages as well as FTX Global and to be honest I rarely stray out of those regions. So would Vector actually provide any benefit to me?

mjrhealth
August 25th, 2014, 00:50
Depends, if you fly tube liners no, but if you fly GA low level yes. Vector is a world wide upgrade where avlaiable. here in Aus apparently its not much good as we dont have ghood vector data, but i dont just fly here.

vora
August 25th, 2014, 00:57
The regions come with their own vector, landclass, textures and mesh. They are an all-in-one package with more hand-crafted details. In those regions none of the "Global" products will apply, neither Vector nor FTXGlobal, nor OpenLC. The "Global" products are for the world outside the FTX regions.
The only exception is the Australia region AU SP4 which does not have a mesh included (freeware Holgermesh required).

arrowmaker
August 25th, 2014, 02:38
The regions come with their own vector, landclass, textures and mesh.

This is a I suspected. Being more of a GA flyer, then, it appears Vector would offer me no benefit at all. The only reason I picked up FTX Global was to make the borders of the Orbx regions less obvious, and to make the few times I stray out of those regions more bearable.

Firekitten
August 25th, 2014, 06:07
Oh but it does... I have global and vector.. it makes non orbx regions, (Ie, everywhere else) a HELL of a lot better for GA! with open landclass, its stunning! I mean, this is Austria, open LC, Vector and Global... Its IDEAL for GA flying!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50293775/pictures/FSX/5.jpg

Dumonceau
August 25th, 2014, 08:32
+1 with Firekitten! It only takes (especially Open LC) a helluvah lot of diskspace!

Dumonceau