PDA

View Full Version : Another cool Corsair II photo...

Navy Chief
December 23rd, 2013, 17:09
This was posted on a Corsair II Facebook group I belong to.......

ViperPilot2
December 24th, 2013, 07:03
Nice photo! Picking up some go juice through the basket...

Alan 1805

PRB
December 28th, 2013, 13:53
I read that pilots coming from other planes to the A-7 were impressed by the size and roominess of the cockpit. I never understood that until I got a chance to climb up and look inside an A-4... This pic kind of demonstrates this...

ViperPilot2
December 28th, 2013, 15:16
I know this thread usually deals with Navy Corsair II variants, but in my mind a SLUF is a SLUF... :p

For quite a while ('71 to '91), the 140th Tactical Fighter Wing of the CO ANG used the Corsair II, flying from Buckley AFB. I used to see these all the time flying over Denver in the 80's and early 90's until they transitioned to the F-16.

There's one at the Wings of the Rockies (http://www.wingsmuseum.org/) museum here in Denver.

Alan 1956

PRB
December 28th, 2013, 15:35
Small world, Alan... In 1984, our squadron (guess which one...) spent a couple weeks at Buckley AFB operating with the CO ANG. It was a fun time, as I'd never been to Colorado. It was pretty cool working with our USAF shipmates, and seeing the differences between our A-7Es and the USAF A-7Ds.

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2013, 15:59
Small world, Alan... In 1984, our squadron (guess which one...) spent a couple weeks at Buckley AFB operating with the CO ANG. It was a fun time, as I'd never been to Colorado. It was pretty cool working with our USAF shipmates, and seeing the differences between our A-7Es and the USAF A-7Ds.

One big difference I recall was that the D model had an APU. Sure would have sped things up on a USN flight line with that advantage!