PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of Zip file size

PutPut
January 18th, 2009, 12:17
I have already received several emails asking what is missing in my Waco SRE upload because the file size at flightsim is only 0.64 megs. (It is 2.21 megs at simviation but I think Mr.Daly loves biplanes and played with it a bit and rezipped) Anyway, the answer is there is nothing missing from the flightsim file. I recently installed a new hard drive and reloaded everything clean. When I got to Winzip I upgraded fron V8 to V9. Well, V9 has a new compression algorithim and makes smaller files. If I zip the same file with V8 it comes out over 2 megs. One person told me he bypassed the Waco because it obviously wasn't very good because the file size was so small.:woot:

Guess I will have to go back to Winzip V8!!

Paul

modelr
January 18th, 2009, 12:43
I'm keeping it, Paul. Everything checks out in my download. I like the super compression zip. Takes up less room on my storage drive. Thanks.

I have WinRar, and it doesn't compress this well. May have to upgrade to WinZip V9. I keep a lot of stuff in backup zipped.

jdhaenens
January 18th, 2009, 12:59
Half a Meg!?!?!?! That won't even put a dent in a half mile square photoscenery sampled at one foot/pixel! With our ever increasing file sizes, we should have expected it.

Best!

Jim

stiz
January 18th, 2009, 13:47
personaly i wish the flightsim crowd would switch to rar or 7z, it reduces the size considerably!

for example:

1 plane uncompressed = 54,000kb
same plane zipped = 23,182kb
same plane rared = 19,854kb
same plane 7zed = 18,262

:kilroy: :engel016:

empeck
January 18th, 2009, 14:02
I agree with stiz, I'm using 7z, it has very good compression ratio, and it's free.

PutPut
January 18th, 2009, 14:06
I was just fascinated by the fact some people equate value with file size. I certainly look at file size, but not for possible value, but how long is it going to take to download and how much to store, etc.

Paul

harleyman
January 18th, 2009, 16:16
I was just fascinated by the fact some people equate value with file size. I certainly look at file size, but not for possible value, but how long is it going to take to download and how much to store, etc.

Paul

I hear ya......Who cares right...Hey..If its free and nice..Bring it on.....:ernae: