PDA

View Full Version : Attention all DC-3 fans !

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Javis
December 22nd, 2013, 18:08
Manfred's DC-3 gets authentic VVC !

That rhymes. What doesn't rhyme, atleast not in my dedicated DC-3 fan book, is Manfred's superb external rendition of a vintage DC-3/C-47 model fitted with a modern VC derived from his equally superb Basler BT67 Turboprop model. No doubt like many DC-3 aficionado's here at the SOH FSX forum i have been waiting for either Manfred or any other FS aircraft developer to sort out this shortcoming.

Sofar nobody applied for the job. No wonder really because it involves a lot of hard work spanning several months atleast.

As a retired FS aircraft designer myself my hands have been itching, believe me! ( i worked on several FS DC-3 iterations on and off just about trough my whole 'FS design career' ). After Manfred released v2 of his gorgeous DC-3 model and Ted (Tufun) released his amazing DC-3 sound suite on top of that ( listen carefully to the enchanting idle sound of the engines and you might hear a repeating whisper : "DC3 needs VVC, DC3 needs VVC, DC3 needs VVC..." ) it was just too much for me to hold off any longer, forget my retirement for a while and get to work.

No sooner said than done. Both Manfred and Hansi ( who will be doing the programming) liked the idea and for a couple weeks now i've got the DC-3 VVC (Vintage Virtual Cockpit) show on the road. Manfred thought it would be a good idea to not only update him and Hansi on the development progress but deal all DC-3 fans here at SOH in as well.

The first way point to navigate to was to figure out what setup of the panel/instruments to choose for our VVC. As you know there's a plethora of setups to choose from, no DC-3 cockpit is alike. One thing clear: no modern instruments, vintage is vintage. (maybe a selectable GPS for people who like that sort of thing). After checking out a few candidates we decided to go with a DC-3 panel that is being restored in orginal vintage condition. Mostly because the panel does not sit inside the cockpit and features seperate, good photos of all instruments. Wonderful job by a gentleman called Bart Nopper from the Netherlands. (he also works on an amazing superscale model of a C-47).On top of that the setup also features an original 1937 Sperry Type A-3 'Gyropilot' which we like very much to be available in our DC-3 VVC.

So, lets start with the panel and instruments then. As we say here in Holland "de eerste klap is 'n daalder waard" (the first blow is half the battle).

To get an idea of what the virtual panel would look like i glued two photo's of the restoration panel together, cleaned it up and matched the bitmap to the panel that sits in the current VC. It was needed to make the panel a bit higher. Here's what it looked like :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/dc3_panel01.jpg

We all agreed that we could go with this so i started cutting out the gauge holes, create the first gauge bodies and bezels and the pitch control part of the 3D Sperry Gyro :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/dc3_panel03.jpg

All gauge faceplates will be handdrawn by Hansi. He sent me a first MP test plate to work with so for the moment that's all there is to see.

Here's a close up of the 3D Sperry Pitch instrument in the works (no texture yet, naturally) :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/dc3_panel03sp.jpg

Every gauge will get its own 'glass plate' to which a unique reflection texture will be mapped. A first test trial here (only the right gauge has glass and reflection applied here ) :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/dc3_panel03gl.jpg

Seems i'm allowed to only post 4 images so i'll continue in a follow up post.

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
December 22nd, 2013, 18:22
DC-3 VVC update continued.

The panel sofar as it sits inside the VC. The modern throttle quadrant still there for reference and the modern, two windows, windscreen has got to go too :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/dc3_vvc1214.jpg

Further 3D instruments applied and first work on the vintage windscreen setup:

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/vvc1220c.jpg

Still empty gauge holes because i am awaiting the arrival of Hansi's faceplates. 3D needles will be added then too. It's only the Fuel Tank Selector gauge that isn't setup in 3D yet.

Moving on, here's a screenie of the last work. The 'naked' VVC sofar :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/vvc1223n.jpg

With some more texuring done :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/vvc1223b.jpg

So that's where we are at present. Hope you like what you see. I intend to update this thread every coming weekend with screenies and info for everybody that has an interest in keeping track of the process.

In ending i'd like to say that i find it a great honour to work with Manfred's extraordinairy beautiful DC-3 model. Together with the DC-6 and Connie the DC-3 is my favourite aeroplane so for me it's a great pleasure to be back working on it again. The Maam-Sim native FSX DC-3 never materialised because i opted for a smaller plane to get acquainted with working with 3dsmax and it would've been needed to start a new DC-3 model from scratch because the external model got a bit long in the tooth as well.

I hope my work on this 'DC-3 VVC' to complement Manfred's superb external model will compensate enough for the Maam-Sim native FSX DC-3 that never was...

Cheers and talk to you later,
Jan

trucker17
December 22nd, 2013, 18:35
Looks AWESOME Jan.....
Looking forward to this......

dvj
December 22nd, 2013, 18:42
Lovely work there.

Obie311
December 22nd, 2013, 18:51
This looks fantastic! It appears you and your team have the expertise to complement the MJ team's fine work on the C47_V2. Since the Basler cockpit was a provisional one anyway to expedite the production of the V2, this should please the multitude of enthusiasts clamouring for a Vintage VC. The Basler is a wonderful creation and this should complete the C-47 and C-117a.

As a photographer I am very sensitive to perspective and viewpoint. Something was always wacky about the default DC-3 that felt very uncomfortable. As much I loved the Gooney Bird, I just didn't enjoy flying her.

Kudos to all the talented and dedicated people who have contributed to these projects.

Obie

RyanJames170
December 22nd, 2013, 18:59
I hope you can put some 3d gages in there or some High rez gages atlest.. as most of use have HD screens.. and it would go nice with his external model to have a good high rez VC

glh
December 22nd, 2013, 19:21
Sir:

Yes, that was an important item that was definitely missing from the v2 model. I am certainly glad to see that you are addressing it. Kudos to you and your associates.

Bushpounder
December 22nd, 2013, 19:42
Beautiful!!!!! Looking forward to it, and Thank You for coming out of retirement for this project!!!

Don

robert41
December 22nd, 2013, 19:44
Looking good. Really enthused about this.

AussieMan
December 22nd, 2013, 20:26
This is going to make flying the DC-3/C-47 more enjoyable and realistic.

robcap
December 22nd, 2013, 22:38
You're making good progress, Jan, fantastic, the amount of work done since my visit, 2 weeks back!
Merry Christmas, happy New year, and lotsa modelling!
It's going to be great!

R.

jankees
December 22nd, 2013, 23:18
Brilliant!

flyinggoldfish
December 22nd, 2013, 23:42
Santa certainly has been good this Christmas!

Looks fantastic so far. This will undoubtedly make the C -47 the single best freeware in the history of FSX...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Ian Warren
December 23rd, 2013, 00:47
All the above and more ... hope your working thru Christmas :biggrin-new: Wicked .. do those squeggies jiggle around :santahat:

Dave Torkington
December 23rd, 2013, 00:59
Stunning work :applause: I Thank you!

huub vink
December 23rd, 2013, 01:05
The panel looks already great, but the best news is that you found a reason good enough to make your (temporarily) return out of retirement!

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Cheers,
Huub

Tim-HH
December 23rd, 2013, 01:32
Now that's what I would call a Christmas miracle :santahat:

Wonderful work as usual, Jan! I'm really looking forward to it :applause:

Greetings
Tim

Bruce Thompson
December 23rd, 2013, 02:04
What a treat this will be, love the DC3/C47 and this will make it complete, great work indeed!:applause::applause::applause::santahat:

Roger
December 23rd, 2013, 02:15
Excellent news Jan and thank you so much:engel016:

dougal
December 23rd, 2013, 02:34
The quality of what becomes available from all you hard workers simply astounds me!

Thank you ALL so much for your dedication

A grateful user;-)

Mazo
December 23rd, 2013, 03:29
OK--- I am duly impressed!! This is going to be a great addition for the C47/DC3.

I continue to be amazed at all the talent that exists in this hobby and that it is shared freely with the rest of us that can't even draw a straight line!

Thank you all for your beautiful contributions to our flight hobby.:applause::applause:

Lyn

mgchrist5
December 23rd, 2013, 03:50
This looks bloody marvelous! Thanks so much for your efforts, Jan. The vintage VC looks every bit as amazing as the old beloved MAAM model.

ega
December 23rd, 2013, 04:16
A work of art! Congratulations and thanks so much Jan.

Edmundo

William Njurmi
December 23rd, 2013, 05:02
Where can I come to hug you?

paiken
December 23rd, 2013, 05:04
Add my thanks to all of the rest. This plane has become my favorite to fly in the short time it has been around. The addition of the VVC will be the crowning achievement on an already brilliant aircraft. Thank you.

rdaniell
December 23rd, 2013, 06:14
Jan, as another of the folks who had asked about a vintage virtual cockpit, I would like to add my thanks. :applouse: :biggrin-new:

RD

ViperPilot2
December 23rd, 2013, 06:16
There's also excitement growing about this announcement over at DC-3 Airways, and I would like to ask a question from a Member there... will this Upgrade work in P3D?

Thanks for the (upcoming) reply!

Alan 1729

txnetcop
December 23rd, 2013, 06:39
YEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Thank you for undertaking this Jan.:jump::jump::jump:
Ted

Ferry_vO
December 23rd, 2013, 06:39
listen carefully to the enchanting idle sound of the engines and you might hear a repeating whisper : "DC3 needs VVC, DC3 needs VVC, DC3 needs VVC..."

Sounds like you finally found that 'little green bag', Jan! ;)

Good looking VC, and even better to see you back at FS modelling!

big-mike
December 23rd, 2013, 07:00
WOW---great work.Jan!:applause:
Can`t wait.
Mike

MM
December 23rd, 2013, 07:42
<!--><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> Jan and Hani,

What a wonderful contribution. It looks as though you will [I]again produce an integral part of a Flight Sim milestone.

Many thanks for this and for all your work over the years. Our little world is so much better for what you have done.

Merry Christmas to all.
Mike
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";} </style> <![endif]-->

boxcar
December 23rd, 2013, 08:20
.... Magnificent! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-025.gif

DaveWG
December 23rd, 2013, 09:02
I can only echo what has already been said, excellent work Jan. :applause:

This will make a superb aircraft even better.

Milton Shupe
December 23rd, 2013, 09:20
I will also echo the above, much deserved praise for the original model, all the enhancements, and to you Jan and Hansi for bringing this beautiful VVC to light. And a special recognition to Hans-Joerg Naegele for all his special behind-the-scenes efforts and contributions to so many projects, including mine. Jan, you are still my hero!

FentiFlier1
December 23rd, 2013, 10:46
I would like to join in the chorus of appreciation! :encouragement:

Can't wait!

ce_zeta
December 23rd, 2013, 14:37
Simply amazing. Great work dude.

Merry Christmas!:santahat:

Bjoern
December 23rd, 2013, 14:44
Well ride me sideways and call me Shirley, if this ain't exciting news!

TuFun
December 23rd, 2013, 15:00

As a retired FS aircraft designer myself my hands have been itching, believe me! ( i worked on several FS DC-3 iterations on and off just about trough my whole 'FS design career' ). After Manfred released v2 of his gorgeous DC-3 model and Ted (Tufun) released his amazing DC-3 sound suite on top of that ( listen carefully to the enchanting idle sound of the engines and you might hear a repeating whisper : "DC3 needs VVC, DC3 needs VVC, DC3 needs VVC..." ) it was just too much for me to hold off any longer, forget my retirement for a while and get to work.

Cheers,
Jan

Hey Jan... all the conversations we had and those little hints of maybe putting your talents (Y Pearl) to work for a little while and that little video adventure with Air France Dak and it finally came down to big radials a chugging! And of course Manfred's masterpiece!

Thanks so kindly, never thought a soundset would bring out so much emotions for some. I'm honored!

Ted "TuFun"

ncooper
December 23rd, 2013, 15:10
Thanks so kindly, never thought a soundset would bring out so much emotions for some. I'm honored!

Ted "TuFun"

You could have, the soundset is a masterpiece, just like the aircraft model is and the period VC will be.

Regards,
Nick.

iwik
December 23rd, 2013, 15:45
Just want to add Many thanks for this addition. My best xmas present, really did enjoy the Maam one inFS9.

Take Care and enjoy the season.

Les

adi518
December 23rd, 2013, 16:46
wow.. major respect for doing this.. manfred and team's dc-3 sure deserves it!

greenie
December 23rd, 2013, 18:36
Many have thanked you and I feel it would be remiss of me not to ...Thank you ! . Excellent news and eagerly waiting .

Javis
December 23rd, 2013, 19:25
Thanks very much for the warm welcome to our DC-3 VVC project, gents ! Much appreciated and inspiring ! :encouragement:

Happy Holidays everyone and see you next weekend. I've got some work to do...

Cheers,:ernaehrung004:
Jan

Javis
December 23rd, 2013, 19:32
There's also excitement growing about this announcement over at DC-3 Airways, and I would like to ask a question from a Member there... will this Upgrade work in P3D?

You bet ! :cool:

Cheers,
Jan

gman5250
December 23rd, 2013, 19:37
This panel may be the last piece, but it is most certainly not the least. Having a vintage office for the DAK will make the plane a true masterpiece. Awesome and most greatly appreciated.

ViperPilot2
December 23rd, 2013, 20:02
Jan,

Thanks for the word regarding P3D! There will be some very happy Pilots over at DC-3 Airways, for sure!

Have a Happy Holiday, and Thanks Again!

Alan 1799

modelr
December 24th, 2013, 07:22
Jan and Hani, I can only add my voice and join the chorus for the thanks for this VVC for this fantastic DC3 of Manfred's. With all the different people who have contributed to this masterpiece, it is definitely one of, if not the best piece of freeware, or for that matter payware quality pieces of work to come out yet.

Merry Christmas To ALL :santahat::jump::applause:

HighGround22
December 24th, 2013, 13:54
.Marvelous work, Jan V, and most welcome to us ardent fans of "The Goon".

Many thanks for the nice Christmas present!

manfredc3
December 25th, 2013, 08:49
I became a new member to SOH yesterday and my heart skipped several beats when I read this thread.

As an avid DC-2/3 fan, I know Jan Visser from his renowned DC-3 (and other!) designs for the flight simming community.
I was sad to read a while ago that he decided to retire, but understood and respected his decision.

After finishing my hybrid cockpit build, I finally got to the point of re-installing the well known Maam DC-3, and also have the Just Flight one.
Though aged, the Maam DC-3 has been the most realistic one.
The Just Flight DC-3 is a very good payware version, but looking at the VC I am missing the vintage/aged look and feeling you would expect from a graceful, piston pushing, O'l Lady.

A flight simming friend pointed me to Manfred Jahn's C47, and, as mentioned by Jan himself, it is craving for a VVC.

So it looks like we found an awesome freeware DC-3/C-47 that is about to reach high standard payware quality.
1) Manfred Jahn and his team created a great freeware DC-3/C-47,
2) Ted (TuFun) provided an outstanding soundpack (even though I am currently using the sounds from the excellent
DC-2 payware).
3) And now Jan and Hani are giving us the ultimate Christmas gift, by working on an Vintage VC that will make any
DC-3/C-47 fan plan for some looong and sleepless night, enjoying the greatest DC-3/C-47 add-on for FSX/P3D
ever made.

So Jan,
Thank you so much for returning from retirement, and giving us DC-3/C47 fan's the best Christmas since the release of FSX.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all,

Manfredc3

Hanimichal
December 25th, 2013, 11:10
Thanks for whose mentioning my name, but I don't deserve this honor, I only repaint what other do.
Happy Holidays to all

manfredc3
December 25th, 2013, 13:38
Thanks for whose mentioning my name, but I don't deserve this honor, I only repaint what other do.
Happy Holidays to all

Kudo's to those that deserve it.

I may have misread one of the posts in this thread.

So, gratitude and kudo's to those involved in creating the vintage vc, the great aircraft add-on, and the great soundpack.

Manfredc3

Jafo
December 25th, 2013, 15:17
"So it looks like we found an awesome freeware DC-3/C-47 that is about to reach high standard payware quality."

Always has been ...;)

paralaile
December 26th, 2013, 09:05
Cheers,
Jan

What a great news!!!
Thank you very much for this project Javis!

Paul J
December 26th, 2013, 18:33
Jan and team - I still fly both of MAAM-Sim's venerable DC-3 and B-25 in FSX-DX10, using Steve's DX10 Fixer: I now fly Manfred's wonderful rendition - but it's a modern rendition. Your VC will bring these works full circle: It will take me back to my youth - the '60's, and FSX will finally have one of the finest examples of Flight-Sim aircraft artistry available. Why A2A, or some equally qualified developer hasn't done this I do not know: it is such a missed opportunity.

This should be payware - it is certainly of that calibre. Thank you all so much for bringing it back to life.

Paul J.

Anthin
December 26th, 2013, 19:15
Masterpiece has to be the understatement of the Century. Vintage cockpit!
to add to the already incredible airplane. This whole project is just astounding.
Once again from me Thank you everyone.
Anthin.

Francois
December 27th, 2013, 05:35
Hey Jan, you know we LOVE you, man !!! :jump::wavey:

Adrian Petford
December 27th, 2013, 06:47
Exceptional work. I'm really looking forward to this!

Thank you Jan and Hansi.

Javis
December 29th, 2013, 19:37
Goodday folks,

This week i started work on the heart of the DC-3 cockpit: the Throttle Quadrant. I'll always make a quick drawing first before getting to work at modeling :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/throt01.jpg

Well, that's not true of course.. It's uncle Maximillian that makes the sketch, not me, and it's done after the modeling, not before...

Here's the WIP Throttle Quadrant in another fancy setting :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/throt02.jpg

That's another advantage of working with Max over Gmax, you get to play with Max' awesome rendering possibillities. I don't know much about it yet but i intent to because i'd like to have a go at texture baking once the modeling is more or less finished. Not much photo texturing this time because i have only access to the DDA Dakotas but the pits are too 'modern and pimped up' to suite the purpose of creating a 'VVC'.

Onwards in normal setting. On the way :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/throt02a.jpg

And here's where the TQ is sofar. Still quite some stuff to add as you can see :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/throt03.jpg

To be continued --->

adi518
December 29th, 2013, 19:45
This is getting more and more epic by the day! :applause:

Javis
December 29th, 2013, 19:47
Some more screenies of the TQ WIP :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/throt04.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/throt05.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/throt06.jpg

Ok, that's it for today, gents, more next weekend.

Thanks much again for the inspirational comments and I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year !

Cheers, :ernaehrung004:
Jan

iwik
December 29th, 2013, 19:55
Merry Xmas to You also Jan,
Looking great, now have a break till next weekend.
Thanks for the update.

Les

Marvin Carter
December 29th, 2013, 21:40
Holly WOW!!!

fxsttcb
December 30th, 2013, 02:39
Absolutely WONDERFUL work Jan! :applause:
A retro cockpit is just the ingredient I need to create a supurb rendition of my beloved DC-3/C-47. This will certainly fit the bill. Bless You folks.

Just one(simple?) request: Please gauge/mouse map the flat portion of the main panel for us tweakers/modders.
I like to create pop-ups of certain instruments, and, add icons for them, and other functions.
It would be great to be able to place those icons, or, other visible/invisible controls, adjacent to their modeled partners...Don

Roger
December 30th, 2013, 02:43
Exceptional!:jump:

txnetcop
December 30th, 2013, 05:25
Just like the F-86 project...WOW JAN!
Ted

Lenop
December 30th, 2013, 05:27
AWESOME Jan, thank you for this wonderful present at the end of 2013!

OleBoy
December 30th, 2013, 05:58
Jan, your modeling work puts my lower jaw on my desktop. Very nice work.

boxcar
December 30th, 2013, 06:39
Wonderful work so far, Jan. Am having a wee misty-eyed response this day seeing this dream coming true. Thank you ever so much.

manfredc3
December 30th, 2013, 07:58
Holy chamoley.....!!!!

I'm lost for words.

Jan, woorden schieten te kort.

Now go and enjoy the final days of the year, :icon29:

Manfredc3

robcap
December 30th, 2013, 08:27
Hi Jan,

you're working a bit slow hahaha.
Nah, just kidding.

Gelukkig nieuwjaar, en rustig aan met de oliebollen.

R.

Ferry_vO
December 30th, 2013, 08:50
you're working a bit slow hahaha.
Nah, just kidding.

Gelukkig nieuwjaar, en rustig aan met de oliebollen.

Your 'Duck' versus Jan's VC; let's see who's done first... :mixed-smiley-010:

Great work, Jan!

Alky
December 30th, 2013, 12:44
Aviation porn at it's best! :)
Hopefully there will be a suitably "used" version as well.
Who said there's no such thing as miracles? :chuncky:

Ian Warren
December 30th, 2013, 13:18
YIP! .. guess that's all i can say , :redfire:

Bruce Thompson
December 30th, 2013, 14:44
Amazing work indeed, what a gift we have received with this aircraft, thanks to all involved, Manfred and the team and now Jan for the vintage VC.:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Javis
December 30th, 2013, 16:48
Absolutely WONDERFUL work Jan! :applause:
A retro cockpit is just the ingredient I need to create a supurb rendition of my beloved DC-3/C-47. This will certainly fit the bill. Bless You folks.

Just one(simple?) request: Please gauge/mouse map the flat portion of the main panel for us tweakers/modders.
I like to create pop-ups of certain instruments, and, add icons for them, and other functions.
It would be great to be able to place those icons, or, other visible/invisible controls, adjacent to their modeled partners...Don

Thanks,Don. Hansi tells me that because a 'glass plate' is added to each gauge it can be made clickable to f.i. provide Tooltips. I suppose that'll make for more ops.

cheers,
Jan

Javis
December 30th, 2013, 16:57
Hopefully there will be a suitably "used" version as well.

The TQ is not textured yet, Alky...

cheers,
jan

Alky
December 30th, 2013, 19:17
The TQ is not textured yet, Alky...

cheers,
jan

Whatever you do with it will be SO APPRECIATED, you have no idea!!
I love that the C-47 has textures where you can fly your raggedy old workhorse or a shiny newly restored beauty. When I'm in the mood for down & dirty, that weathered panel would be awesome, a nice clean fresh off the assembly line made in 1935 panel would be perfect for that beauty I mentioned! :)
As I said, we are but beggars and any offering is appreciated! :)
Thank you.

Javis
December 30th, 2013, 21:04
I was working on the Yoke/Wheel for a bit today when uncle Maxi came round and started drawing again, this time in acryl. Show it to your friends before this year ends, he said, ( he's quite a poet too, you know) so here it is, still wet..

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/yoke1.jpg

cheers,
jan

robcap
December 30th, 2013, 21:19
Goeiemorgen!!
Beautifull, I see you're working 24/7 on it now ;-)
I'm afraid my "Duck" ("Turkey") will take a bit longer, Ferry......
What what isn't, can still be, someday ;-)

Cherio! R.

Thog10
December 31st, 2013, 03:11
Amazing work! Thank you so much!

Javis
December 31st, 2013, 05:22
Goeiemorgen!!
Beautifull, I see you're working 24/7 on it now ;-)

Goeiesmorgens, Rob,

Yeah, after i read your comment i thought i'd better step on it ! :santahat:

Still working in A'dam ?...

Prettig Uiteinde en 'n Goed Begin !

cheers,
jan

Curtis P40
December 31st, 2013, 06:10
Mr. Douglas must have a big smile on his face. Seen this and thought it fit. You, gentlemen and this aircraft are fantastic.https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1527079_10151781486241852_1937789798_n.jpg

huub vink
December 31st, 2013, 08:08
You made nice progress already Jan!

Voor jullie allemaal een goede jaarwisseling en een zorgeloos 2014 toegewenst!

Cheers,
Huub

Milton Shupe
December 31st, 2013, 08:12
Hey Jan, you know we LOVE you, man !!! :jump::wavey:

No! You can't have my beer!

kremin
January 1st, 2014, 21:44
Jan, This looks wonderful and I'm really looking forward to flying it. Thanks so much.

Happy New Year

Rick Canham
South Australia

Radial9
January 5th, 2014, 09:17
Looks like I’m a bit late to say THANK YOU Jan. Please allow me to echo the other grateful pilots who have cheered your endeavor for an up to date VVC for the DC3. Men such as yourself, Charles Wood (his excellent navigation tutorial), the gracious and helpful pilots at DC3 Airways and I’m sure many more here at SOH I have yet to meet have provided this weekend pilot with so many hours of learning, fun, respect for history, talent and pure joy I could never begin to repay all your hard work and kindness.

I had decommissioned my FS setup nearly two years ago as we migrated from a lifetime in the frozen north to sunny south Florida. The wife has encouraged me to rebuild my FS toys and start flying again as she knows how much joy and pleasure it brings me (I just LOVE that woman!) I’m building a high end PC over the next few months and am looking forward to joining the community here and at DC3 Airways. Looks like there is some really good company to be found here.

Again, THANK YOU for all your work (including the MAAM DC3) to put this DC3 pilot back in the skies with style! I can’t think of a better way to put up my first post.

Cheers!

Javis
January 5th, 2014, 20:23
Welcome here at the SOH FSX forum, Rob ! I hope more DCA flyers will follow you. Never too much DC-3 aficionados. :encouragement:

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
January 5th, 2014, 20:34
Goodday Captains, here's your funky seat :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/stoel1.jpg

And with something to play around with as well :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/stoel2.jpg

Both the seat and yoke are not finished yet.

Overview of the cockpit sofar :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/stoel3.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/stoel4.jpg

No gauges yet, Hansi is very much occupied with family matters at the moment.

couple more below

Javis
January 5th, 2014, 20:37
Without any fancy lighting :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/stoel5.jpg

And the inevitable 'tech' drawing by uncle Maxim :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/stoel6.jpg

Until later..

Cheers,
Jan

CG_1976
January 5th, 2014, 21:10
Ye old bucket seats and yokes:jump:. Looks very tasty, cant wait to smear some aviation avgas/hydro/oil stains into the seats lol.

Daube
January 6th, 2014, 00:04
Wow !! (o_0')
Beautiful work ! :encouragement:

big-mike
January 6th, 2014, 06:16
Simply WOW!
Mike

Milton Shupe
January 6th, 2014, 07:10
Totally amazing Jan! :jump: :applause:

Roger
January 6th, 2014, 09:27
What Milton said!!:jump:

511Flyer
January 6th, 2014, 10:33
In earlier shots of the yoke, the locking wire was incorrect, but the last shot shows it in the tighten position. As an ex RAF airframe mechanic, I notice these things.

One other thing I noticed, is that the nuts and bolts are fitted in the opposite way to which I was taught. Which was that bolts go heads up. This is so that if the nuts come off, the bolts don't drop out. Also, bolt heads go "into wind", for the same reason.

Having said that, things may have changed since my day. Back then, flying was dangerous, and sex was safe!

It's a fine looking cockpit, for a fine looking aircraft. Thanks to all concerned.

Dennis.

Paul J
January 6th, 2014, 10:58
One other thing I noticed, is that the nuts and bolts are fitted in the opposite way to which I was taught. Which was that bolts go heads up. This is so that if the nuts come off, the bolts don't drop out. Also, bolt heads go "into wind", for the same reason.
It's a fine looking cockpit, for a fine looking aircraft. Thanks to all concerned.Dennis.

Same here, Dennis: Also an ex-RAF airborne radar tech, ex licenced ARME, and having worked on and flown in (second-seat) dc-3's - I one-hundred percent agree with you that this is the proper case .. but I went searching the weeeb, (I couldn't see Jan making this mistake).. and came up with a numbe (https://www.google.ca/search?q=dc-3+cockpit&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=xEb_xzRT1-LZMM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9 GcRaKOL30H23rDWj_bspEizTxGjonIolbv1nRvgOs8dJi1uI21 yDUA%253B1280%253B853%253Bwrt-MkPu_4QB4M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.wingso vereurope.com%25252Fdc-3_cockpit.html&sa=X&ei=PAbLUuPJF8-ekQeziYH4Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ9QEwAQ&biw=1203&bih=843#facrc=_&imgdii=xEb_xzRT1-LZMM%3A%3BW6VzNopRdgzVzM%3BxEb_xzRT1-LZMM%3A&imgrc=xEb_xzRT1-LZMM%3A%3Bwrt-MkPu_4QB4M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wingsovereurop e.com%252Fmilitary%252520transport%252520gallery_2 %252FDC-3%252520Cockpit%252520%288%29.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F %252Fwww.wingsovereurope.com%252Fdc-3_cockpit.html%3B1280%3B853)r of pics where the yoke aileron cable pulley cover bolts are facing upwards..... but I also came up with a number (https://www.google.ca/search?q=dc-3+cockpit&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=xEb_xzRT1-LZMM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9 GcRaKOL30H23rDWj_bspEizTxGjonIolbv1nRvgOs8dJi1uI21 yDUA%253B1280%253B853%253Bwrt-MkPu_4QB4M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.wingso vereurope.com%25252Fdc-3_cockpit.html&sa=X&ei=PAbLUuPJF8-ekQeziYH4Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ9QEwAQ&biw=1203&bih=843#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=pyNar2EChB8ZkM%3A%3Bwrt-MkPu_4QB4M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wingsovereurop e.com%252Fmilitary%252520transport%252520gallery_2 %252FDC-3%252520Cockpit%252520%284%29.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F %252Fwww.wingsovereurope.com%252Fdc-3_cockpit.html%3B1280%3B853) of pics where the bolts point downwards (https://www.google.ca/search?q=dc-3+cockpit&tbm=isch&source=iu&imgil=xEb_xzRT1-LZMM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9 GcRaKOL30H23rDWj_bspEizTxGjonIolbv1nRvgOs8dJi1uI21 yDUA%253B1280%253B853%253Bwrt-MkPu_4QB4M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.wingso vereurope.com%25252Fdc-3_cockpit.html&sa=X&ei=PAbLUuPJF8-ekQeziYH4Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ9QEwAQ&biw=1203&bih=843#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=5GTVk8m5QbK4_M%3A%3BUeF0Da5mZlbs3M%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Ffc07.deviantart.net%252Ffs71%252Fi%252 F2011%252F121%252F7%252Fc%252Fdc_3_cockpit_by_jett a_windstar-d3fb82p.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fjetta-windstar.deviantart.com%252Fart%252FDC-3-cockpit-207116449%3B900%3B599)..

Mere speculation on my part, but I would expect that upward-facing bolts is correct, as, in the downward position the threaded portion of the two bottom bolts might be just long enough to dig into your knees on taxy with f/up.

Looking forward (sic) to some exciting spring flights in the old girl!

All the Best, pj

Javis
January 6th, 2014, 19:56
Thanks for your observations,gents. Always interested in little details like this. This proves again that the expression ' there's no DC-3 cockpit alike' even boils down to the smallest parts one could think of: nuts and bolts.... Must say it didn't even occured to me, but i think that with the truckload of DC-3 cockpit photo's that i use for reference, it's fair to say that half of them show the Yoke cable pulley cover bolts downwards and the oher half upwards...

I just took this photo for reference :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/bolts.jpg

Thanks again for the explanation ! :encouragement:

cheers,
jan

roger-wilco-66
January 6th, 2014, 21:34
:ernaehrung004: Fantastic work!!

Cheers,
Mark

manfredc3
January 6th, 2014, 23:14
OMG!

Jan, you should be cloned! That way, if you go back in to retirement, we Flight simmers can pull a spare Javis off the shelf (or out of the fridge) and keep enjoying your amazing work for years to come, lol.

emfrat
January 7th, 2014, 00:50
Sometimes Life imitates Art :biggrin:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-07/a-flight-back-in-time/5187778

MikeW

johndetrick
January 7th, 2014, 03:01
Might I ask what program you are using to do the modeling?It is absolutely amazing! Regarding the bolt installation issue, I have a lot of maintenance experience on douglas products and it all boils down to serial numbers of the aircraft. I'll bet that early on the bolts where installed head up as is normally done. However somewhere later in production a change was incorporated to fix a problem and the bolts were then reversed.

Sieggie
January 7th, 2014, 04:31
Sometimes Life imitates Art :biggrin:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-07/a-flight-back-in-time/5187778

MikeW

Gotta love how dumb reporters are. The second picture captioned "No Computers in sight" has dual GPS, dead center in the picture.

Dave

robcap
January 7th, 2014, 07:29
Jan, you make me proud ;-)
Wonderfull job.
I like this view best!

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/stoel4.jpgCherio, Rob

Javis
January 7th, 2014, 17:08
Thanks much again for the kudos, gents, appreciate it ! :smile:

Might I ask what program you are using to do the modeling?

I'm using 3dsMax, John. Unimaginably big fun because i come all the way from the 1989 rudimentary 'MS A&SD' (Aircraft & Scenery Designer, 500 poly limit... ), BAO's AAF ( Aircraft and Adventure Factory) and Flightshop, the great Louis Sinclair's FSDS (Flight Simulator Design Studio) who finally transposed FS aircraft design from hell to heaven (:teapot:), and finally Gmax, the clever little son of 3dsMax that came with no questions nore money asked with a number of later FS versions.

For a long time Gmax was still needed to export 3dsMax aircraft models so they could be used in FS but with recent versions this seems no longer needed ( haven't done any exporting of the VVC yet, i will need the updated version of the P3D SDK which includes a modernised exporter )

Cheers,
Jan

alehead
January 8th, 2014, 01:21
This is one of the planes I have always dreamed of flying!

A vintage VC for the Manfred Jahn release recently is a wonderful gift. Thank you...

Can't wait to see how it turns out in the aircraft!

Andrew

Thog10
January 8th, 2014, 03:21
These images are marvelous. Many thanks for all of your hard work!

banjoman1960
January 8th, 2014, 07:58
lookīs amazing:applause:

cheers
ralf

Marvin Carter
January 8th, 2014, 08:09
Great job on the VC, it shows just how amazingly small the cockpit actually is!!!

AnotherOneJustGreat
January 8th, 2014, 09:27
Guys you just made my day.

Do you accept donations perhaps?

adi518
January 8th, 2014, 10:40
You got to be kidding me... WOW :applause:

Rudyjo
January 8th, 2014, 10:47
I would like to suggest that the new VVC be released as part of a complete package that includes Manfred Jahn's C-47 and TuFun's sound pack.
A complete package would be easier to download in the future if it needed to be, instead of the three separate installations.

Or release the VVC separate, but still do a complete package also.
Thanks to everyone involved with this project.

adi518
January 8th, 2014, 11:33
Now featured on Adx: http://airdailyx.blogspot.ca/

Keep going sir! :jump:

Timbohobo
January 8th, 2014, 16:04
Ohh beautiful :love-struck:

mikeyankee
January 9th, 2014, 01:31
I would like to suggest that the new VVC be released as part of a complete package that includes Manfred Jahn's C-47 and TuFun's sound pack.
A complete package would be easier to download in the future if it needed to be, instead of the three separate installations.

Or release the VVC separate, but still do a complete package also.
Thanks to everyone involved with this project.

Great idea. It would get such great work out to a bigger audience.

adi518
January 9th, 2014, 02:24
I also think it's a great idea because it was quite confusing on release.. one package to rule them all. :mixed-smiley-010:

Hanimichal
January 9th, 2014, 02:47
I loved this VC, but I feel more comfortable flying with GPS in the cockpit (modernized one)
I would stick with the 2 versions without lose my favorite

cavaricooper
January 9th, 2014, 04:29
Thanks much again for the kudos, gents, appreciate it ! :smile:

I'm using 3dsMax, John. Unimaginably big fun because i come all the way from the 1989 rudimentary 'MS A&SD' (Aircraft & Scenery Designer, 500 poly limit... ), BAO's AAF ( Aircraft and Adventure Factory) and Flightshop, the great Louis Sinclair's FSDS (Flight Simulator Design Studio) who finally transposed FS aircraft design from hell to heaven (:teapot:), and finally Gmax, the clever little son of 3dsMax that came with no questions nore money asked with a number of later FS versions.

For a long time Gmax was still needed to export 3dsMax aircraft models so they could be used in FS but with recent versions this seems no longer needed ( haven't done any exporting of the VVC yet, i will need the updated version of the P3D SDK which includes a modernised exporter )

Cheers,
Jan

Jan-

I have been a long time fan and want to echo the sentiments of those who are tremendously impressed! As an inveterate Dakota aficionado- I am looking forward to this release more than you can imagine. I did want to ask if there has been any FS modeling work (that you know of) done in Google Sketchup? I have started using this program and am consistently amazed by what it does in relation to the AutoCAD family- at a hugely lower price point. It is being used by more architectural and engineering professionals each year... and I just wondered if it had made inroads into the FS community?

Again- THANK-YOU FOR YOUR STELLAR WORK SIR!

Best- Carl Avari-Cooper

kiki
January 9th, 2014, 08:43
I loved this VC, but I feel more comfortable flying with GPS in the cockpit (modernized one)
I would stick with the 2 versions without lose my favorite

Me too. I would like to have both versions side by side without problems or too much problem solving.

BTW, great work and highly appreciated (like the work of Manfred Jahn)!

AnotherOneJustGreat
January 9th, 2014, 09:30
Actually an option for integration of the Mindstar G530/430 would be the bee's knees, as an alternative option to the 100% vintage panel.
But hey, let's not get carried away here... :-)

William Njurmi
January 9th, 2014, 09:40
Please don't spoil this with modernisation wishes. You've got the Basler cockpit already for that. Let's be thankful of what is coming.

Marvin Carter
January 9th, 2014, 10:34
It would be easy enough to put a 2D pop up for a GPS, just copy one out of a defalt planes panel CFG. Problem solved!

Sundog
January 9th, 2014, 15:00
That is looking amazing! Talk about making an amazing plane even more amazing. Thanks for all of the work being done on the original VC.

stansdds
January 10th, 2014, 04:08
Actually an option for integration of the Mindstar G530/430 would be the bee's knees, as an alternative option to the 100% vintage panel.

Other than adding a 2D popup screen, my suggestion would be an optional VC with the Sperry autopilot space left blank and the user can stuff whatever avionics they desire into that spot. Just a suggestion, but I do think this vintage cockpit will be far more appropriate for the DC-3/C-47 than the BT-67 cockpit.

Hanimichal
January 10th, 2014, 04:38
also vintage

johndetrick
January 10th, 2014, 04:50
I like the control lock better!

boxcar
January 11th, 2014, 09:36
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc161/ddublu/C-47OfficeSeat.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/ddublu/media/C-47OfficeSeat.jpg.html)

Have been on the lookout lately for one of those good ole' metal lawn chairs, vintage 50's/60's, to paint flat olive & employ during the coming Earth Tour in this living work of art being augmented so well. With some comfy pads it should work pretty well once it's stiffened up a bit to military standards. Fun too!

Looking good! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-025.gif

Alky
January 11th, 2014, 13:00
I wonder if the requirements for a C-47 pilot during the war were that you had to 5'10" or less (?) I can't imagine stuffing my 6'1" frame in behind the yoke of one of those! :playful:

Bomber_12th
January 11th, 2014, 13:33
I'll probably always remember the episode of "Ice Pilots" where one of Buffalo's new pilots at the time was considered too tall for the DC-3 cockpit and thus was assigned to the C-46 with its roomier cockpit.

RyanJames170
January 11th, 2014, 21:33
have to remember back then most men were about 5 6 to 5 10 with someone over 6 foot being a tall person so they made most things to fit with people from the time.

CG_1976
January 11th, 2014, 22:54
I stand at 6ft and 3in's and can tell ya it's a PIA getting into the Goon's Bucket. It's all in the matter of ya legs and position. Yep I do mmiss my Yellowknife home and that sweet avgas and roar of Buffalo's DC3's:sorrow:

Javis
January 12th, 2014, 15:31

+1 :smile:

Like has been stated in the opening post of this thread, we're certainly aware of the fact that there are many flightsimmers that love to have a GPS on board, even in vintage aeroplanes, and you can all rest assured that we'll take care of that, certainly as an option. Once the first edition of the VVC is outthere and we still have enough juice left in the batteries we might even think of adding a 'modern' radio set.

Regarding a 'complete package' featuring the v2 external model, Ted's magnificent sound suite, plus the VVC, i'm quite sure we can come to an arrangement about that. Battery condition willing i might have a look into a new set of animated pilot figures to complement the external model.

Afraid only words and no pics about the VVC progress this time around, folks. I simply haven't much new to show yet because i started work on the 'Overhead', aka Electrical panels, which required quite a few days of research, gathering of photo's, thoughts, and tests to begin with. As you know, there are as many different DC-3 'Overheads' as there are DC-3's... The basic OH is setup though ( original 'pre customized' left and right 'eyebrow' electrical panels with magneto switch board in the middle and Radio Compass control unit on the ceiling above it ), now setting up the switches, knobs and other stuff and doing texture tests to suit the legends. Can probabely show you something during the coming week.

Until later,
Jan

PRB
January 12th, 2014, 15:44
I'll probably always remember the episode of "Ice Pilots" where one of Buffalo's new pilots at the time was considered too tall for the DC-3 cockpit and thus was assigned to the C-46 with its roomier cockpit.

I remember that one! I've never been up front in a DC-3, but I have been in up front in a C-46, and I was amazed at how small and cramped it was up there. Perhaps they have more leg room than the Douglas!

I'm so looking forward to this DC-3 VC. :)

stansdds
January 12th, 2014, 16:03
+1 :smile:

Like has been stated in the opening post of this thread, we're certainly aware of the fact that there are many flightsimmers that love to have a GPS on board, even in vintage aeroplanes, and you can all rest assured that we'll take care of that, certainly as an option. Once the first edition of the VVC is outthere and we still have enough juice left in the batteries we might even think of adding a 'modern' radio set.

Regarding a 'complete package' featuring the v2 external model, Ted's magnificent sound suite, plus the VVC, i'm quite sure we can come to an arrangement about that. Battery condition willing i might have a look into a new set of animated pilot figures to complement the external model.

Afraid only words and no pics about the VVC progress this time around, folks. I simply haven't much new to show yet because i started work on the 'Overhead', aka Electrical panels, which required quite a few days of research, gathering of photo's, thoughts, and tests to begin with. As you know, there are as many different DC-3 'Overheads' as there are DC-3's... The basic OH is setup though ( original 'pre customized' left and right 'eyebrow' electrical panels with magneto switch board in the middle and Radio Compass control unit on the ceiling above it ), now setting up the switches, knobs and other stuff and doing texture tests to suit the legends. Can probabely show you something during the coming week.

Until later,
Jan

Good news all around! :applause:

CG_1976
January 12th, 2014, 17:27
I remember that one! I've never been up front in a DC-3, but I have been in up front in a C-46, and I was amazed at how small and cramped it was up there. Perhaps they have more leg room than the Douglas!

I'm so looking forward to this DC-3 VC. :)

For a tall person like me and the DC3 I got to sit in. You had to move around a lot. The most frustrating thing is during flights. You need to move ya legs around to keep your blood flowing or it is charlie horse city and pins and needle's errr, no fun bringing in a Goon and bumping a pot hole or snow bumps. Even worse in Arctic cold the pain is.

Alky
January 13th, 2014, 07:31
I just watched an episode of Ice Pilots and Scott Blue, probably the tall guy mentioned here, was the engineer on the Electra and said that he had been for quite a while. I find that odd since the same show was talking about their desperate need for C-46 pilots. Scott was previously a fully qualified C-46 pilot and seemed to like it. I wonder if he had an accident or got in trouble somehow, he's been mysteriously missing for a couple of seasons.

Javis
January 15th, 2014, 06:09
Hey guys,

Could use some help from some of you 'rivet counters' here. Which quartet of crosshead renditions you like best here, the left or the right ?.... :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/crossheads.jpg

(this is a close up of the left side electrical panel but this will apply for the main panel as well. Don't mind the ON-OFF legends, still working on that too )

Here's a shot of the left panel so far :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/ohleft01.jpg

Thanks!
Jan

big-mike
January 15th, 2014, 06:13
Never been a rivet counter,i prefer the right side.
Mike

Pronto91
January 15th, 2014, 06:19
The right side.

Paul J
January 15th, 2014, 06:30
The right. Looks good.

dvj
The left side. Older, worn look.

511Flyer
Left. Those on the right look too big.

banjoman1960
January 15th, 2014, 06:36
The right.

but a little smaler

cheers
ralf

PhillRoath
January 15th, 2014, 06:40
I, also, prefer the ones on the right.

Really looking forward to this. :redfire:

huub vink
January 15th, 2014, 06:40
The right side is the right side Jan....

But I could be wrong as I don't consider myself a rivet counter

Cheers,
Huub

AndyG43
January 15th, 2014, 06:42
I just watched an episode of Ice Pilots and Scott Blue, probably the tall guy mentioned here, was the engineer on the Electra and said that he had been for quite a while. I find that odd since the same show was talking about their desperate need for C-46 pilots. Scott was previously a fully qualified C-46 pilot and seemed to like it. I wonder if he had an accident or got in trouble somehow, he's been mysteriously missing for a couple of seasons.

The way I heard it was Scott is " hungry for flying hours to reach his goal of becoming a captain", and he can't accumulate enough hours if he stays solely with the C-46. So nothing sinister, just the opposite by the look of it.

Which quartet of crosshead renditions you like best here, the left or the right ?.....

Jan, as somebody who mainly still flies in FS9 I should probably say the Dark Side. (But the left side looks best)

Javis
January 15th, 2014, 07:08
Going well, gents, keep 'em coming.. :encouragement:

Eventually there's a lot of these guys spread all over the cockpit and once the're all there, the're all there...

The difference is that the left quartet is not completely 3D while the right quartet is, that's why the right ones can have spec light added to them while the left ones cannot. Both the left and right crossheads are of exactly the same size. It's the spec light that makes the right ones 'look' bigger.

The amount of spec light can of course be adjusted.

I didn't have in mind to make the crossheads and other screws completely 3D because of the additional poly count but i tried a complete 3D crosshead just for the heck of it and found the additional poly count to be very modest (only 5 poly's more ).

I believe i saw the first complete 3D rendition of screws in the fabulous A2A J3 VC which made my jaw drop onto the floor..

:jawdrop:

I'll wait a while ( walk my dog Kodi, which is a Welsh Corgi Pembroke ) and then count the left and right votes.

Thanks, guys !

cheers,
Jan

Alky
January 15th, 2014, 07:08
The right is nicer looking, smaller if possible but not a deal breaker. Nice work! :)

cavaricooper
January 15th, 2014, 07:25
Jan:

I'm going to veer away from the rest and suggest a mixture would be best. Most DC-3s I've seen have been worked on by many people in many parts of the world and the result is a bit of hodge-podge. The uniform painting along with different rivet/screw heads will only (IMHO) only add to the overall realism. In addition, may I again ask about any awareness/use of Google Sketchup in the FS modeling world?

Thanks for your efforts- they are greatly appreciated and admired.

Carl Avari-Cooper

Adamski_NZ
January 15th, 2014, 07:29
Just to be a complete killjoy, I go for the LEFT set. In close-up, the right set looks cleaner/better - but (strangely) when zoomed back and viewed in context of the whole panel, they seem overly bright.

They actually look like two completely different types of screws. LEFT: Philips, japanned (ie. black paint) and RIGHT: Posidrive, chrome.

I suspect the real panels had black painted screw heads (gloss or matt) to minimise reflections/distractions <???>.

Pure supposition though LOL!

Adam.

flyinggoldfish
January 15th, 2014, 08:43
Definitely the right, but you need to tone sown the specular reflections a bit...

CG_1976
January 15th, 2014, 09:10
The famous DC3 is in the news. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2014/01/15/old-planes-new-purpose-aging-dc-3s-deliver-hope-to-remote-villages-in-colombia/

Ian Warren
January 15th, 2014, 10:34
Strange they have used a photo of ZK-AMY a regular overhead in Christchurch "Southern Air DC-3" used for tours and sightseeing.

Obie311
January 15th, 2014, 16:17
Thanks for asking but.... Save your polys for something that matters. Either crosshead screw looks great. Go with the lowest poly count.

Javis
January 15th, 2014, 16:32
Thanks very much for your input about the crossheads, gents! I'm glad i put up the question because i think "i've seen the light" now... :smile:

I think particularly Adam's suggestion holds much water. It is also a fact that, no matter the intensity of specular light, it will always tone down the details of a texture. I have always blessed the day specular lighting became available in FS. It has made FS aircraft models to look ever so much more realistic. But i see now that adding it to screwheads and that sort of thing will work against the overall vintage feeling of the VVC.

I just had a go at this full 3D crossheads simply because it is possible now, and they certainly do look nice, but after your input i am convinced now that these are better left for modern, spic and span, cockpits.

Thanks very much again all ! :encouragement:

cheers,
Jan

Javis
January 15th, 2014, 16:39
.... In addition, may I again ask about any awareness/use of Google Sketchup in the FS modeling world?

Ah, sorry bout that, Carl. Coincidently i installed Sketchup a while ago because my brother asked me too. He is working with it and was curious about my thoughts of the program. For a freeware program I think it's wonderful and very easy to work with and, depending on export options, might be usefull for creating FS scenery. For creating FS aircraft models though, i think it's about as usefull as an astray on a motorbike.... :ghost:

It's deffinately Gmax you'd want and need. It's free too you know. It's an FS God's givin gift !

I hope that answers your question, Carl.

cheers,
jan

Alky
January 15th, 2014, 17:10
It's definitely Gmax you'd want and need. It's free too you know. It's an FS God's givin gift !

3DSMax if you're rich. :)

cavaricooper
January 15th, 2014, 18:00
Ah, sorry bout that, Carl. Coincidently i installed Sketchup a while ago because my brother asked me too. He is working with it and was curious about my thoughts of the program. For a freeware program I think it's wonderful and very easy to work with and, depending on export options, might be usefull for creating FS scenery. For creating FS aircraft models though, i think it's about as usefull as an astray on a motorbike.... :ghost:

It's deffinately Gmax you'd want and need. It's free too you know. It's an FS God's givin gift !

I hope that answers your question, Carl.

cheers,
jan

Thanks Jan!

Standing by.... Checking this thread each day..... I look forward to flying the old girl soon :)

Carl

AnotherOneJustGreat
January 16th, 2014, 00:10
The right side, but with the specular lighting turned down a bit.

Javis
January 18th, 2014, 05:29
Goodday Captains, i'd like to present the more or less finished left hand overhead electrical panel. As opposed to most other stuff this panel is already textured because of the angle it has to be rotated in to fit its place in the cockpit. Much easier to map a texture onto an object that sits at a straight angle and this goes for placing all switches and other stuff as well. The brightness of the legends as well as the amount of 'weathering' can be adjusted.

Just the panel ( and thanks again for your input about the screws.. :encouragement: ) :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh17-1.jpg

And fitted inside the cockpit together with the magneto switches. The boxes above it are going to be the radios. :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh17-2.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh17-3.jpg

Working on the right hand electrical panel now, probabely ready too in a couple of days.

Have a nice weekend !

Cheers,
Jan

Thoe6969
January 18th, 2014, 05:38
Wow,can't wait for this panel,it's looking awsome.

adi518
January 18th, 2014, 05:44
:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

Adamski_NZ
January 18th, 2014, 06:48
Quite incredible! Keep taking the tablets! :lol:

Bill Kestell
January 18th, 2014, 09:17
SWEET ... just SWEET!

JimH
January 18th, 2014, 09:36
Interesting panel, with important switches such as the emergency De-Icer and Prop-Feathering switches, along with that most important switch of all, the "Call Hostess" switch! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif

Just kidding, the cockpit is looking fantastic! Thanks for the hard work.

iwik
January 18th, 2014, 09:51
Looking Awesome, and thanks again for the tremendous effort you are making
for us all Jan.

Regards
Les

Ian Warren
January 18th, 2014, 09:58
Jan, Frikken Marvelous and I'm pleased with your choice of screws, I got a new screw-driver set only yesterday:encouragement:

robcap
January 18th, 2014, 10:47
Hi Jan, very nice!!! Is she already flying in FSX. Did yiu get the exporter to work?

RyanJames170
January 18th, 2014, 17:44
lookin good

Adrian Petford
January 19th, 2014, 02:14
This is rapidly becoming one my favourite ever threads! Great work Jan.

manfredc3
January 19th, 2014, 10:13
Holy smokers! That is looking awesome. :jump: :applause:

Jan, I have two questions for you, if you don't mind.

1) I see a "START" indication on the right side of that panel, but no switch/button or rotary that it could relate to. Is that stil in process, or am I missing
something there?

2) I use a home built overhead panel with switches that I assign to functions on many aircraft, using FSUIPC. Will it be possible to assign the switches in this vc using either fsx control functions or mouse mapping?

Jan, as always, you are doing an incredible job with this vintage vc.

Forever thankful for all your hard work,

Manfredc3

Javis
January 19th, 2014, 20:20
Thanks, guys! :cool:

Hi Jan, very nice!!! Is she already flying in FSX. Did yiu get the exporter to work?

Hey Rob, no haven't done any exporting yet. I know myself, as soon as i have something in FSX it'll be more 'test flights' than actual work... :D I want to do more texture work first

I see a "START" indication on the right side of that panel, but no switch/button or rotary that it could relate to. Is that stil in process, or am I missing something there?

Yup, Manfred, that's the starter position for the fluorescent lighting. :smile: The switch is at the 'Off' position here.

I use a home built overhead panel with switches that I assign to functions on many aircraft, using FSUIPC. Will it be possible to assign the switches in this vc using either fsx control functions or mouse mapping?

To be really sure Hansi will have to answer your question but i believe it'll be possible, yes.

Cheers,
jan

boxcar
January 20th, 2014, 07:19
Goodday Captains, i'd like to present the more or less finished left hand overhead electrical panel.

Just the panel...

And fitted inside the cockpit together with the magneto switches. The boxes above it are going to be the radios.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/ViewX2/CA4.jpg (http://s425.photobucket.com/user/ViewX2/media/CA4.jpg.html)

Javis
January 22nd, 2014, 17:43
Hi folks, a final update on the overhead electrical panels, atleast for the time being. There might be some changes needed when we actually get to wire the thing up.

Here's the completed right side electrical panel :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh23_1.jpg

Volt and Amp scales are not correct, just a quick texture to show what it's going to look like.

As you can see i have moved the battery switch to the right panel, seems more appropriate. The left panel looks like this now :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh23_2.jpg

The complete Overhead :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh23_3.jpg

Inside the cockpit :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh23_4.jpg

I feel it's about time now to make an appointment with the upholsterer. In my DC-3 book the lovely padding all around the cockpit is a very important part of the ambiance of a DC-3 cockpit and from experience i know a lot of time will have to be spend on it if one wants to make a good job of it. This time i'd like to take the chance to not just map padding textures on the existing inner cockpit walls but actually create 3D segments to rap around all the bends, corners and obstacles, just like the real thing so to speak. The first thing though will be to establish a good looking padding texture. The next update therefore will probabely take a wee bit longer. Wish me luck... ;-)

Cheers,
Jan

Ian Warren
January 22nd, 2014, 18:46
Jan , all the Luck wished on you, Just Superb:icon29:

imn2sims
January 22nd, 2014, 18:47
No, sorry, you obviously don't need luck.........now if I did it I would need to be the luckiest person in the world:encouragement::encouragement::encouragement: . I will offer BEST WISHES and a heartfelt THANK YOU!!

Steve

robcap
January 22nd, 2014, 22:25
But, now we can't call the hostess anymore.....
Other than that minor glitch, it looks fab!
Looking forward to the 3D padding.

R.

iwik
January 22nd, 2014, 22:44
Jan,
You don't luck, you are just gifted. To go to the extent of padding accurately is just awesome..
This DC3 with its new VC is simply out of this world. Thank You.
Les

manfredc3
January 22nd, 2014, 23:13
Jan, are you playing tricks with us?

What got in to you by posting pictures of a real world overhead panel.

Oh..., you mean it's not the real deal?

Wow, you could have fooled me, lol :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

It is obvious that luck is the last thing you should be worried about. It's "time" what you need, and regretfully we can only offer you 24 hours each day.

Have fun sorting through fabrics.

I can't wait to make my first flight in this vintage, out of EHLE.

roger-wilco-66
January 23rd, 2014, 02:05
[...]

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/oh23_4.jpg

I feel it's about time now to make an appointment with the upholsterer. In my DC-3 book the lovely padding all around the cockpit is a very important part of the ambiance of a DC-3 cockpit and from experience i know a lot of time will have to be spend on it if one wants to make a good job of it. This time i'd like to take the chance to not just map padding textures on the existing inner cockpit walls but actually create 3D segments to rap around all the bends, corners and obstacles, just like the real thing so to speak. The first thing though will be to establish a good looking padding texture. The next update therefore will probabely take a wee bit longer. Wish me luck... ;-)

Cheers,
Jan

Awesome stuff. Now, if you could make that compass wobble on it's rubber strings... (I always thought that when I used to fly the MAAM version :-) )

Cheers,
Mark

Javis
January 23rd, 2014, 06:50
But, now we can't call the hostess anymore.....

Sure we can, Rob... Notice the little pushbutton above the magneto switches... :)

Javis
January 23rd, 2014, 07:15
Awesome stuff. Now, if you could make that compass wobble on it's rubber strings... (I always thought that when I used to fly the MAAM version :-) )

Way ahead of you, sir... :)

In fact i'd love to make more stuff vibrate at start-up, not only the compass. ( big fan of the A2A B-17, very inspiring, as is all their work ) We ( Hansi and me) did some testing before, we got the whole engine of the N3N shake about on its rubber shock absorbers at start-up. The tricky part is to know, apart from the compass, what exactly will vibrate in the DC-3 cockpit at start-up, idle power and/or taxi. ' Shake Rattle & Roll' you bet ! :encouragement:

Paul J
January 23rd, 2014, 07:16
Hey Jan! I worked on these suckers in South America back in the '60's, and they wuz dirty, dusty, grungy, scratched, twisted, worn, split, bent and otherwise not quite in the "pristine" (what a word) condition as is presented in your pics. What will be the appearance of the finished flight deck?

All the best,

pj

cavaricooper
January 23rd, 2014, 07:57
Jan-

In re. flight deck condition- I'd vote for tidy and neat. I realize there are lots of old worn out girls, but if I flew a Dak, she'd be the tenderly cared for jewel your panels depice in their current state :)
IMHO the worn/dirty look has been overdone lately.

Carl

boxcar
January 23rd, 2014, 08:10
In re. flight deck condition- I'd vote for tidy and neat.

Likewise. The love you are infusing for us all with this new equipment worthy of a fine air museum is perfect so far, in my opinion. Whatever you share will be honored. Besides, we'll scuff it up ourselves over the years with our own use.

:-)

big-mike
January 23rd, 2014, 08:16
I vote for both variants.Perhaps you could finish first a factory fresh variant and then we will see.
Mike

Alky
January 23rd, 2014, 09:44
Some of the pics I've seen so far already have examples of minor wear. Just carry on Jan, your work so far is incredible! :)

robcap
January 23rd, 2014, 11:28
Sure we can, Rob... Notice the little pushbutton above the magneto switches... :)Ah, right. I missed the decal.
You could also add the 'take the controls' feature from our DC2, and implement it. Give your rooky co-pilot a few hours flying the old kite, and poor the cofee yourself, or take a leak if needed.:encouragement:

Javis
January 23rd, 2014, 17:11
Hey Jan! I worked on these suckers in South America back in the '60's, and they wuz dirty, dusty, grungy, scratched, twisted, worn, split, bent and otherwise not quite in the "pristine" (what a word) condition as is presented in your pics. What will be the appearance of the finished flight deck?

What i'm looking for in the first place is a cockpit of a DC-3 as it was flown by major airlines in the 50's/60's. Certainly not 'factory fresh' but not like you describe the South America suckers neither... :) Notice ' in the first place' though... We have to have a base first and it's relatively easier to add dirt, dust, grunge, scratches, twists, worn and bents than it is to get rid of these. There will be a paintkit available for the DC-3 VVC once it is released so everybody who feels like it can have a go at messing around with the textures. :teapot:

'Pristine' is what you get when modeling stuff, textures will have to make for the dirtying up. So far only the main and electrical panels have been textured and with a more close-up look the're not really that pristine ( prop feather is *not* textured yet.. ) :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/chips.jpg

I just don't want to overdo it already. I suppose the switches will never look worn because they have no paint on them and i believe we can assume that no pilot in his right state of mind will go bashing away at the switches with a hammer like Jeremy Clarkson ( if he would've been a pilot, god forbit... :-)

A worked in but well kept DC-3 cockpit that wouldn't have to be ashamed of its airline colors outside, that's about my motto. As with the real thing, the scruffing up will come later, naturally.... Here's one of the photo's i use for reference ( Aerolíneas Argentinas ) :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/idc3-1b.jpg
Hope this'll tidy things up a bit.. ;-)

Cheers,
Jan

Paul J
January 24th, 2014, 06:23
Very nice, Jan: No of course I wouldn't expect "bush quality", nor was I asking for it! I just pointed to my experience as they were in tropical bush, between '65 and '67, and asked what was your intended finish! The DC-3 was a method of transport - a truck - a workhorse, moving mining equipment, animal carcases, people, lumber, fuel, balata, food, and so on. A paint kit will easily alter the ambience to any degree needed.

Off the topic slightly - I don't think I've ever looked forward to any FSX aircraft as much as this one, and think that we must be the luckiest bunch of flight-simmers on the planet, having the combined benefit and talent - and mutual cooperation of your little group. The one most recognizable aircraft of the first half of the twentieth century - world-wide - is the Douglas DC-3/C-47. It epitomizes "Classic" aviation, and it's going to be one of the "must haves" for anyone in the flight sim community who wants complete fidelity with an original aircraft.

All the Best,

pj

TeiscoDelRay
January 24th, 2014, 06:31
I did several weathered cockpits for the A2A B-17, might take a crack at this one when it's done. Link to several from worn to really worn that I did awhile back, http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26975

Paul J
January 24th, 2014, 06:57
, might take a crack at this one when it's done.

"Might take a crack" :eagerness: :medals: That is beautiful work, Ray! Especially the water ingress. Very nice work, so - I hereby commission you to produce a worn DC-3 one for me! Now... about the money....

pj

robcap
January 24th, 2014, 10:03
We could do with that Argentinian cigarette lighter (on the right) :kilroy:

R.

Bill Kestell
January 24th, 2014, 11:39
Looking at everything so far ... I can't wait to put this panel in and return to flying the Hump. I especially noted the 2, single radios rather than the double unit version. I don't have access to my hanger now, but there is at least one radio like those shown that does NOT drop out freqs between 410.0 and 490.0 KHz. If you're flying the Hump and need an ADF bearing to "Oscar Hotel" (Sookerating) ... you'll need to be able to dial in 480.0 KHz! Just thought I'd mention that so I don't have to do another "fix".

Javis
January 28th, 2014, 22:34
From the upholsterer, padding report #1 :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/pad1.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/pad2.jpg

With the seat shoved back a bit so you can get a view from underneath the windscreen and roof :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/pad3.jpg

All very much WIP. F.i. lots of stuff that sticks their heads out of the padding all around, like the comm control box that has been fitted here.

Next is a story i need to tell.

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
January 28th, 2014, 22:51
I got extremely exited today, even to such extent that i need to tell you about it. You don't have to read it, it's enough for me to write it down. ;-)

For many, many years i have been anxiously looking for a DVD set that represents a British TV drama series called 'AIRLINE' that was broadcasted here in Holland in the early 1980's. Roy Marsden (aka Inspector Dalgliesh) plays Jack Ruskin who is demobbed just after WWII as an RAF flight sergeant flying Dakota's. He tries to join BOAC but fails. He then grabs all of his courage and faith together and with help of a loan shark buys a surplus C-47 to start his own airline. He recruits some of his former flying buddies, gets the C-47 airworthy again and off they go on their first job.

Of course i recorded the whole series on one of the first home video recorders. Philips, a huge machine of which the tape spools lie on top of eachother instead of side by side. The quality was outstanding, much better than the later VHS system. Later on this particular system, together with V2000 (also Philips) and Betamax was of course phased out in favor of VHS. The tapes were of no use anymore because the machine had broken down beyond repair.

Every now and then, for many years, i kept on searching for this Airline series to appear on DVD. Alas without any luck. I would pay a small fortune to be able to view the series again. One day i stumbled over some posts about it in a TV series forum. Apparently it seemed to be the family of the director that refused a rerun of the series and/or put it on tape or DVD. ( i remember the series ended just like that, all of a sudden out of the blue, without a satisfactory ending of the story ) I lost all hope i would ever see the Dakota flying adventures of Jack 'The Mad Boilerman' Ruskin and his flying comrades again, let alone have it here in my own video library.

Couple years ago a few episodes of the series appeared on Youtube. Wow!! Hurraay!! Atleast that's something! But guess what happend to me today when i bought a couple of DVD's at Amazon.com. Didn't try for a long time but just for the heck of it i typed 'Airline, Roy Marsden' in the search window and LOW AND BEHOLD!!! THERE IT WAS!!! Talk about out of the blue !!!

Yessir, the whole series on 3 DVD's in a box ! Holey Moley!! Quickly, before this dream would come to an end, i bought the box. Proved it was no dream, it's really true !! " Ruskin Air Services" on DVD !! Finally then!! What unbelievable luck !!!

Goes without saying that this Airline series is a must for any DC-3 lover. It's quite old of course but the story is great and realistic ( not all whine and roses, far from it ! ) and the acting is perfect and lots, lots and lots of great footage of DC-3's ( and other aircraft ) both inside and out, of course. The Dak's were provided and flown by Air Atlantique.

Also quite a long time ago when i was still collecting aviation magazines, i believe it was in 'Aeroplane Monthly' that a photo of Roy Marsden as Jack Ruskin appeared. However he was not standing in front of a DC-3 but a Connie ! The brief text said that plans had been made to arrange a follow up of the Airline series in which 'Ruskin Air Services', despite all the troubles, had grown pretty big. The Connie however proved too expensive to restore into flying condition and so the whole plan was abandonned. This particular Connie now sits up at the Science Museum, Wroughton,UK, in early TWA colors.

The 'Flagship' :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/bkok1.jpg

The Load :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/load.jpg

The Crew :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/rusk.jpg

The Box :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/airlbox.jpg

Here's a clip from Episode 2 where they try to fix the shortcomings of Able Victor and perform the first testflight. All carefully scrutinized by Mr.Reardon with bowler hat, Air Registration Board.

http://youtu.be/hmKrTuToacI

Makes my year, i can tell you that ! ;-)))

cheers,
jan

Alky
January 29th, 2014, 00:44
I got extremely exited today, even to such extent that i need to tell you about it. You don't have to read it, it's enough for me to write it down. ;-)

Makes my year, i can tell you that ! ;-)))

cheers,
jan

Congratulations on your find. Excellent story and media!
Awesome incredible work on the VCC as well! :)

Bruce Thompson
January 29th, 2014, 01:30
Thank you for the info on Airline DVD I ordered mine this morning, I too remember watching it on TV.
Your work on the VVC is something to behold and I really am looking forward to flying in it, the way this is going I think there maybe just one aircraft on my flightsim. This story is also on the internet
"The History of BKS" http://website.lineone.net/~biggles200/History.htm a company started in the 1950's. I flew from Yeadon Aerodrome to Jersey in one of their DC3's in 1960 for a Summer Holiday.

I wonder if anyone could do a paint job of a BKS DC3/C47? I will try and find some photo's. Just found these. http://website.lineone.net/~biggles200/G_AIWD.htm

Thank you again Jan for all you are doing for us
Regards
Bruce.

cavaricooper
January 29th, 2014, 01:53
Jan-

A wonderful story and simply incredible work! As a huge Dak fan, I will be ordering the series this morning.

In re. the cockpit- the quilting, the thickness of the padding sections, the unevenness of the stretch- brilliant mate! I am, and have been salivating, at the thought of spending time in this beauty.

As well reviewed as the new V2 is, I have held off flying her, so that once your VC is released I shall be able to fully immerse myself in the 1940s. I was interested to read about the other reader recreating "Flying the Hump" as that is one if the many things I'd like to do in the old girl :).

Many thanks Jan!

Carl

adi518
January 29th, 2014, 03:06
The lining looks amazing.. this is what it should have looked like in the virtavia b-29.

Lenop
January 29th, 2014, 03:20
Amazing looks of the padding, thnaks so much for your efforts, Jan!
And congrats on finding your favo TV show on DVD.

OT:anyone remebers the name of a 1980's TV series about an American fighter jock in the 60ies?

adi518
January 29th, 2014, 06:33
Becoming overly enthusiast over this., I forgot to ask. Are you going to change some of the photo-real textures (on the heading gauge for example) to scratch made ones?

flyinggoldfish
January 29th, 2014, 06:39
Those DVD box sets seem to be disappearing rather quickly today! ;) I ordered one myself!

Obie311
January 29th, 2014, 08:12
Amazing looks of the padding, thnaks so much for your efforts, Jan!
And congrats on finding your favo TV show on DVD.

OT:anyone remebers the name of a 1980's TV series about an American fighter jock in the 60ies?

The quilted padding is brilliant! Love the way it stretches around the fasteners.

OT: Are you thinking of "Call to Glory" featuring Craig T. Nelson, Cindy Pickett, and Elizabeth Shue?

manfredc3
January 29th, 2014, 08:22
Jan, Great story on the Brittish Airline series. I actually remember watching it in the days. Even though I live in the US I have a region free dvd player, so I ordered me the set, joepie! (only 6 left to order)
Estimated to arrive in two weeks, lol.

Now to YOUR amazing project.
I love the padding, just hope it will not affect frame rate too much, but I am sure you are keeping a close eye on that.

Keep up the great work, and I can;t wait to get my dc-3 in the maintenance hangar to be re-fitted with the vintage vc.

Manfredc3

delta_lima
January 29th, 2014, 08:46
Lovely project Javis (et al) - Bravo!

The vintage / period-correct VC will complete what is easily the leading finest freeware FSX twin-prop airliner. As a bit of a purist, I've held out installing the latest C-47 that was aliased to the turbo-prop era VC. And my attempts to tie in the stock FSX DC-3 VC failed - so to me, it will all come together when this VC is done.

Will happily await this jewel of a project - and fly those gorgeous repaints that have come out in the last few months.

Dumb question - when complete, will this VC function on Manfred et al's a) C-47, b) long-nosed/ski equipped R4D, and c) C-117? I get that there were some instrumentation differences between these, but surely no one would begrudge using this same lovely VC on all three of those "platforms".

Thanks!

DL

Bill Kestell
January 29th, 2014, 10:29
Thanks for the video clip ... that was just great!

William Njurmi
January 29th, 2014, 11:50

Hello, this cockpit is from a real DC-3 (not a C-47) from 1936. We used to "fly" it after gliding day was over in the early 80ies. We waited until everybody with some kind of authority had left the hangar, and then we went in via the cargo hatch and toilet. Wonderful times! Now she is stationed at the Finnish Aviation Museum at Helsinki-Vantaa. She is OH-VKB in Kar-Air colours.

The Airline series is indeed quite good. I wonder why they donīt make such TV series any more, with real life taste.

No need to say this is like waiting for Christmas. Could this be done like the Janīs DC-2 with a donation to some aviation restoration Project?

ViperPilot2
January 29th, 2014, 12:03
Thanks for the video clip ... that was just great!

There are also a couple of really insightful videos highlighting the DC-3:

The Daredevil Pilots of Colombia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-F-cBF5ZbQ)

The Grand Old Lady: Douglas DC-3/ C-47 (Part 1) (http://the grand old lady - douglas dc3/c-47 (part 2))
This is a 3 Part Video.

The interesting thing is to see the different Cockpit Configurations!

Alan 3563

Alky
January 29th, 2014, 12:40
I wonder why they donīt make such TV series any more, with real life taste.

Ice Pilots, Arctic Air??

CG_1976
January 29th, 2014, 13:01
I would personally recommend Ice Pilots. Arctic Air to me is a glorified DC3 Day time Soap as a Yellowknife is my Canadian Home.

b24_witchcraft
January 29th, 2014, 18:23
Just checked out this thread - very cool work on this panel. :applause::applause: Look forward to its release!

Here's the Delta Ar Lines DC-3 (ship 41) in action @ Orlando International.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0BJjLVHPD4

Ian Warren
January 29th, 2014, 18:55

The same year this video was taken dates so close it was the 10th of April I flew in ZK-AMY just retired last Sunday to the Warbirds over Wanaka from Wigram Christchurch NZ to Wanaka for the day , return trip was in the jump seat all the way back - Captain by Alister Johnson it was a real experience .. unfortunately the batteries in the camera failed ... BUGGER!

Alky
January 29th, 2014, 19:25
Wow, that's a purty plane!!

flyinggoldfish
January 29th, 2014, 23:16
Oooh, Wright engines... Don't see those a lot... Lovely airplane!

huub vink
February 1st, 2014, 08:39
Patiently waiting for Jan's weekly update...... :santahat:

Huub

manfredc3
February 1st, 2014, 12:36
Patiently waiting for Jan's weekly update...... :santahat:

Huub

Haha, it's actually only been 3 days since his last update. But I wouldn't complain if Jan had some more teasers to show us, lol.

I the mean time I am enjoying some great new repaints that are being uploaded, like the memorable PH-PBA, flown by the late Dutch Prins Bernhard.

Manfredc3

cavaricooper
February 1st, 2014, 13:46
Haha, it's actually only been 3 days since his last update. But I wouldn't complain if Jan had some more teasers to show us, lol.

I the mean time I am enjoying some great new repaints that are being uploaded, like the memorable PH-PBA, flown by the late Dutch Prins Bernhard.

Manfredc3

Manfredc3-

Are you THE Manfred that is responsible for this superlative freeware?

If so, I am deeply indebted to you Sir! My wife, however, is less than enthusiastic about your creation, and about me waxing rhapsodically over the glide characteristics, or the methodical chewing up of miles at sub flight levels. I was not going to install until Jan's vintage VC was released, however, curiousity got the best of me, and I went ahead and installed (the RAE variant as well as the American Airlines Flagship) your bird and fell in love! Edel und wunderbar Manfred! What a team to have working together- between the painters, the soundset, your superb simulation and now Jan's vintage VC- I shall plod along sub 10,000 with a smile on my face.

Thank-you all of you- fantastic!

Carl Avari-Cooper

manfredc3
February 1st, 2014, 18:09
No I am not that one. we just happen to share the same name.

But I do agree that the Manfred that designed this piece of art deserves a lot of kudo's.

My wife rolls her eye's every time I mention something I read on this thread, as she knows that I have a special soft spot for the DC-3/C-47 and DC-2.

cavaricooper
February 2nd, 2014, 05:17
No I am not that one. we just happen to share the same name.

But I do agree that the Manfred that designed this piece of art deserves a lot of kudo's.

My wife rolls her eye's every time I mention something I read on this thread, as she knows that I have a special soft spot for the DC-3/C-47 and DC-2.

In that case I sure hope THE Manfred is aware of this thread, and is able to perceive some of the thoughts this thread has collected. While the sounds, paints and VVC are all individually fantastic- the underlying airframe and flight dynamics enable the superlatives. Thank God for people like these who labor for those of us with less talent!

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hartwig
February 2nd, 2014, 05:33
In that case I sure hope THE Manfred is aware of this thread, and is able to perceieve some of the thoughts this thread has collected. While the sounds, paints and VVC are all individually fantastic- the underlying airframe and flight dynamics enable the superlatives. Thank God for people like these who labor for those of us with less talent!

Carl Avari-Cooper

Absolutely. Thanks Manfred.
Hartwig
DCA1061

huub vink
February 3rd, 2014, 09:04
Hi Carl,

Manfred Jahn is a regular visitor here at the SOH and I'm sure he is aware of this thread. When you read the first post of this thread carefully you will see that Jan (Javis) has discussed the idea with Manfred before he started to work on the VVC

Cheers,
Huub

cavaricooper
February 3rd, 2014, 10:59
Hi Carl,

Manfred Jahn is a regular visitor here at the SOH and I'm sure he is aware of this thread. When you read the first post of this thread carefully you will see that Jan (Javis) has discussed the idea with Manfred before he started to work on the VVC

Cheers,
Huub

Thank you Sir! As an admirer of your repaints, I did read the entire thread and do see that Jan had discussed this with Manfred (I'd expect nothing else). Perhaps it's my enthusiasm for his magnificent product that makes me want to make sure he is aware of how much he has done, for so many?

C

Lenop
February 3rd, 2014, 22:30
OT: Are you thinking of "Call to Glory" featuring Craig T. Nelson, Cindy Pickett, and Elizabeth Shue?

OT:YES, that's the one! Thanks, an impressive TV show for a ten year old boy at the time!

mjahn
February 3rd, 2014, 22:36
I'm watching this and it regularly makes my day, as I hope it does Alexander's, Hansi's, Gordon's, and Ted's. :wavey:

As everyone else I admire Jan's work, have learned from him in the past, and learn more from him here. For instance, that trick he mentioned, making a sketch of the part on paper before doing the actual design work, I'm now doing that, too.

Manfred (t'other)

Edit: it would help if my sketches were a little better than these sorry attempts...

http://home.arcor.de/edug/sketch.jpg

Paul J
February 4th, 2014, 06:05
Edit: it would help if my sketches were a little better than these sorry attempts...

Pablo Picasso got paid millions for poorer drawings than these, Manfred!

Besides - I think the only bits missing are the "Gear locked/unlocked" micro-switches by the downlock......

pj

cavaricooper
February 4th, 2014, 07:35
I'm watching this and it regularly makes my day, as I hope it does Alexander's, Hansi's, Gordon's, and Ted's. :wavey:

As everyone else I admire Jan's work, have learned from him in the past, and learn more from him here. For instance, that trick he mentioned, making a sketch of the part on paper before doing the actual design work, I'm now doing that, too.

Manfred (t'other)

I am so glad to know this.... your collective work has provided an outlet for my passion for the old girl..... and since installing her I have flown almost nothing else. Low and slow over Orbx territories has been a wonderful experience.... and I am looking forward to Jan's VVC to completely satiate my appetite for 1940's aviation :) Then it's off to fly the Hump.

Ta!

Carl Avari-Cooper

Obie311
February 4th, 2014, 09:29
I'm like a kid at Christmas. Every morning I check this thread to see the progress of Jan's work on the VVC. It is truly the icing on a delicious cake.

As a child I flew on a DC-3 from somewhere in Louisiana (Lafayette? Baton Rouge?) to Hawkins Field Jackson MS . I remember an intermediate stop somewhere (Crystal Springs? Monroe?) That was a great memory.

I also remember seeing at an airshow the former state of Georgia DC-3 that was later purchased by that wacko TV preacher. In the '80's I flew from ATL to St Simons Island in a DC-3. This time I was old enough to appreciate the experience of a bygone era.

What wonderful and versatile birds these are.

Is the Delta Air Lines livery for the V2 C-47 available for download? I'd like to fly it out of my period Southern USA fields.

Obie

TuFun
February 4th, 2014, 19:21

Manfred (t'other)

Yep! I've been keeping my eyes on Jan's progress. Jan... incredible what you are doing!!!

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/02/04/oUIDM.jpg

flyinggoldfish
February 5th, 2014, 15:23
DVDs arrived today... Can't stop watching... I think I forsee a Ruskin Air Services paint in the near future...

Javis
February 5th, 2014, 19:14
Yep! I've been keeping my eyes on Jan's progress. Jan... incredible what you are doing!!!

With a picture like that who wouldn't be incredibly inspired ! Thanks, Ted. :cool:

DVDs arrived today... Can't stop watching...

I had to force myself to stop.... so it took two days instead of just one to watch the whole show... :biggrin:

"You're an old woman, Mac ". " I may be but i'm a good engineer and i'm signing no fit for flight with the superchargers in that state" . I love Mac and his Scottish accent

I think I forsee a Ruskin Air Services paint in the near future...

I'll take care of that personally if nobody else will. ;-)

Now, re progress on the VVC, still padding away until the complete cockpit is covered, adding all the various items that are sticking out of padding during the process. Here's a piccie of the more or less finished Captain's side :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/mj_dc3vc/pad11.jpg

As always, a lot of time goes into research. F.i. i became much intrigued by the fact that i could only find two photo's between the myriad of DC-3/C-47 cockpit photo's in the net that show these vertical fluorescent tubes that are mounted on botch sides of the front cockpit walls. They belong to the still flying C-47 N147DC, owned by Aces High and based at Dunsfold, UK.

All others either show these more common rotational short lamp bodies or non at all. Because i really like to have this fluorescent light option in our cockpit ( if you have the A2A B-17 check it out ! ) i went with the vertical tubes just to be sure.

Working on the co pilot side now with the dual hydraulic pressure gauges box and cowlflaps control valves to fabricate. I'll keep you posted. :smile:

cheers,
jan

TuFun
February 5th, 2014, 19:35
My word Jan... that leather seat... how do you do that? Wow!!!

Alky
February 5th, 2014, 19:36
Here's a piccie of the more or less finished Captain's side :

jan

Holy crappola, that's beautiful!! :congratulatory:

cavaricooper
February 6th, 2014, 01:50
With a picture like that who wouldn't be incredibly inspired ! Thanks, Ted. :cool:

Now, re progress on the VVC, still padding away until the complete cockpit is covered, adding all the various items that are sticking out of padding during the process. Here's a piccie of the more or less finished Captain's side :

As always, a lot of time goes into research. F.i. i became much intrigued by the fact that i could only find two photo's between the myriad of DC-3/C-47 cockpit photo's in the net that show these vertical fluorescent tubes that are mounted on botch sides of the front cockpit walls. They belong to the still flying C-47 N147DC, owned by Aces High and based at Dunsfold, UK.

All others either show these more common rotational short lamp bodies or non at all. Because i really like to have this fluorescent light option in our cockpit ( if you have the A2A B-17 check it out ! ) i went with the vertical tubes just to be sure.

Working on the co pilot side now with the dual hydraulic pressure gauges box and cowlflaps control valves to fabricate. I'll keep you posted. :smile:

cheers,
jan

Jan:

This is becoming something entirely never seen in the world of classic airliner cockpits! The seat had me fumbling for one of my Dunhills, and some very scarce but very treasured and aged Penzance! I can see many a happy hour sitting in that cracked, aged yet wonderfully cared for leather, puffing on a pipe and scud running in the PNW or flying the sked into Yellowknife, or into an Amazonian strip in South America, or on Oxygen bottles (no pipe) over the Himalayas or..... Well you get the idea!

You Sir are brilliant at what you do!

Carl Avari-Cooper

robcap
February 6th, 2014, 07:47
That's just a texture from a picture of Jan's old Chesterfield couch, where he indeed smokes his Samson tobacco and drinks a Jonge Jenever now and then.
But nice anyhow. Bit like this... :encouragement:

roger-wilco-66
February 6th, 2014, 07:49
I see a fantastic work of art emerging here. Cheers for that!

manfredc3
February 6th, 2014, 08:26

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/02/04/oUIDM.jpg
THat is one heck of a shot,

DVDs arrived today... Can't stop watching... I think I forsee a Ruskin Air Services paint in the near future...
I am still awaiting the DVD's, should be arriving Monday. I'll be by myself the weekend of the 22nd, so guess what I'll be doing..... :very_drunk:
And I second the desire for a Ruskin texture!

Working on the co pilot side now with the dual hydraulic pressure gauges box and cowlflaps control valves to fabricate. I'll keep you posted.

cheers,
jan
Jan, you manage to surpass our increasingly ridiculous expectations with every updated "piccie" you provide.

That's just a texture from a picture of Jan's old Chesterfield couch, where he indeed smokes his Samson tobacco and drinks a Jonge Jenever now and then.
But nice anyhow. Bit like this... :encouragement:
Hmm, a jonge jenever sounds good to me too, but I'll wait till the weekend.
And that pic, Rob.... I never could stay away from the DC-2 at the Aviodrome, lol.
Oh, and of course I have the great FS DC-2 in my hangar, taking it for a spin frequently.

Have to get back in to the cockpit, have passengers waiting at EHAM airport for a hop with the DC-6B to Munich.

flyinggoldfish
February 6th, 2014, 09:45
I'll take care of that personally if nobody else will. ;-)

You can focus on the cockpit, I'll manage the repaint! ;)

Ian Warren
February 6th, 2014, 10:28
My word Jan... that leather seat... how do you do that? Wow!!!

Nah nah nah ... still working on the chair, That's a real seat - Jan just grabbed a chair from the office so he could sit down on the job :biggrin-new:..... :encouragement:

Geomitrak
February 6th, 2014, 11:10
That leather chair is incredible. I mean, the whole flight deck is wonderful; what a pleasure its going to be to sit in.

boxcar
February 9th, 2014, 09:47

Dear You-Know-Who, Jan! When you came out of retirement to do this for the community I'd no idea you would be creating a magnum opus. Beyond this, am speechless... not an easy feat, cousin. Good on you!

manfredc3
February 9th, 2014, 22:55
I can't keep my yaw from dropping down to the floor (hope no one will step on it, lol)

In the mean time I am enjoying the DVD's that arrived last Thursday (4 days earlier than expected).

TuFun
February 11th, 2014, 12:51
Saw this at simFlight...

http://www.simflight.com/2014/02/10/calling-dc-3-fans/ (http://www.simflight.com/2014/02/10/calling-dc-3-fans/) :encouragement:

cavaricooper
February 13th, 2014, 03:07
Manfred, Jan et al-

Whilst waiting for this piece de resistance I have surrendered to the longing that has long resided within me. I did download the V2 C47 as well as the brilliant American Flagship and Royal Aircraft Establishment repaints (there are so many more that are fantastic and on the list). Then I added TuFun's sounds to them both.

Since doing so I have stepped back into 1950s aviation and flown all around the London Control Zone, flying SIDS and STARs on raw data. Trundling down the glide at 110 while mixing in with the fast movers that usually maintain 160 until 4 has been enlightening and nerve-wracking for all- the controller learning to fit in a new flow, the others in the stack flying in, and for me in the cockpit working props and throttle all the way down to an ultra short turnoff to vacate promptly!

I have rediscovered Trevor Morton's site and am greedily assimilating everything about DC3 operations I can in preparation for the ultimate ride.... Soon I hope :)?

Not until I flew out or Orbx's Ketchikan, through the vast vertical spaces of their Southern Alaska and into Orbx Juneau using ASN did I fully realize the new possibilities in Flight Simulation that await me. Some of you may remember my friend Captain Bill Odell's Alaska Journeys we co wrote on AvSim a decade ago? I hope to one day resurrect that series, with the DC3 (not a Beaver this time), writing from a freight drivers cold, cold perspective. I have long been a Boeing driver (it pleases me that in a way the DC3 is now a Boeing product) and my Fat Girl (B747-400) will always have a huge spot in my heart. I shared it with the baby 737 and now a portion must go to your splendid creation gents!

You all- starting with Manfred Jahn, but extending to each artist, sound and paints- and now culminating in Jan's masterpiece- will collectively give the FSX world a present like no other. I am most grateful.

Carl F. Avari-Cooper

SGTMAJOR
February 13th, 2014, 21:04
WHOA!!!!! What a wonderful surprise..........however, as always Jan........EXTREMELY dedicated and beautiful work!!!!!!

You could never be Thanked enough for all your contributions to the Flightsimming Community!!!!!

Many, MANY Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

Maj Kong
February 14th, 2014, 04:51
I also love the C-47 and was lucky enough to get a few hours flying one back in 1957-58 out of March AFB.
As many have already said: this one is tops. I have tried them all beginning with MAAM (some years back) and none compare to Jan's.

Now I have run across Carl F.'s "I have rediscovered Trevor Morton's site" and am curious enough to ask WHAT it is and WHERE do I find it?

Looking forward to the update.
Regards to all
Neal H (currently snowed in and waiting for the plows)

cavaricooper
February 14th, 2014, 04:54
Neal... Try douglasDC3 dot com

Carl

mjrhealth
February 14th, 2014, 10:24
Aviation classics magazine just did a whole magazine on teh DC3 worth while buy for those who love it.

ViperPilot2
February 14th, 2014, 10:34
Carl,

You might want to look at DC-3 Airways; they're a VA totally devoted to the Three and the DC-4/ C-54. They also have many actual, old school Route Packages to fly.
They also put on the annual DC-3 World Rally, which just finished up a couple of weeks ago.

http://dc3airways.com/

Alan 4246

Maj Kong
February 14th, 2014, 11:32
Neal... Try douglasDC3 dot com

Carl

WHAT A SITE!! :medals:

Many thanks Carl.

cavaricooper
February 14th, 2014, 12:38
Carl,

You might want to look at DC-3 Airways; they're a VA totally devoted to the Three and the DC-4/ C-54. They also have many actual, old school Route Packages to fly.
They also put on the annual DC-3 World Rally, which just finished up a couple of weeks ago.

http://dc3airways.com/

Alan 4246

Thanks Alan! I will check them out.... Just not sure a VA is for me.....the old school routes sound interesting though....

Carl