PDA

View Full Version : Pacific south china sea, spotted this??

HouseHobbit
December 22nd, 2013, 11:52
Saw something that looked just Like this while patrolling the South china Sea in a SBD today??
Not sure , The Mast on the Horizon was all I could see..
Looks strangely familiar ..
Will check in with the Naval intell folks..
To see what it was..

THANKS JASON!!
And there is Much Rejoicing!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Frosty
December 22nd, 2013, 13:08
...Looks strangely familiar ...
Will check in with the Naval intell folks..
To see what it was..

Well, you don't have to be in the Navy to tell what it is: which pilot wouldn't recognize the mast of the Yamato?? :friendly_wink:

gecko
December 22nd, 2013, 15:30
geez Joost, how'd you come up with that? I can barely tell one ship from another.

Frosty
December 23rd, 2013, 07:36
geez Joost, how'd you come up with that? I can barely tell one ship from another.

Well, it's obvious, isn't it? It has 'Yamoto' written all over it... Just look at those little prongs on the forward piece of antenna/mast

But no - I asked the grandfather of a friend who served in the Far East before the war. He was involved in monitoring the buildup of the Japanese Navy and now spends his time doing plastic models of the ships he studied. He went through his collection and tried to find the same viewing angle as the screenie shows. His conclusion was "Yamato".

or..

I used a freeware version of the Nefarious Spy Agency's Face Recognition And Puzzle-solving Software (F.R.A.P.S) and fed it with the screenie so graciously provided by our furry-footed friend and a large database of ships' piccies. It cost my PC a good time of crunching and whirring until the program finally spat out "Yamato".

or..

I'm gonna quote myself ("It has 'Yamato' written all over it...") and refer you to the upper left corner of the screenie...

Really guys, if you want to make solving these puzzles hard, please edit out the name of the file etc... :sneakiness::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

HouseHobbit
December 23rd, 2013, 08:04
:encouragement:
Yea this is one mean ship indeed!
Yamato, Thanks to Jason and His great skill..
:applause: :applause:

liquidchicken
December 23rd, 2013, 20:03
Yep,it had to be done..Musashi may come first as it wont require all the extra aa on her..work is chugging along at the moment,I finally have some time to spend on it over the next week or so..oops!,thought I was being all secret squirrel about this one (should of cropped my screenie!..lol)..

:ernaehrung004:,Jason..

gecko
December 23rd, 2013, 23:29
Well, it's obvious, isn't it? It has 'Yamoto' written all over it... Just look at those little prongs on the forward piece of antenna/mast

But no - I asked the grandfather of a friend who served in the Far East before the war. He was involved in monitoring the buildup of the Japanese Navy and now spends his time doing plastic models of the ships he studied. He went through his collection and tried to find the same viewing angle as the screenie shows. His conclusion was "Yamato".

or..

I used a freeware version of the Nefarious Spy Agency's Face Recognition And Puzzle-solving Software (F.R.A.P.S) and fed it with the screenie so graciously provided by our furry-footed friend and a large database of ships' piccies. It cost my PC a good time of crunching and whirring until the program finally spat out "Yamato".

or..

I'm gonna quote myself ("It has 'Yamato' written all over it...") and refer you to the upper left corner of the screenie...

Really guys, if you want to make solving these puzzles hard, please edit out the name of the file etc... :biggrin-new:

I'm gonna go with option 3.:banghead::mixed-smiley-010:

Nice to have some real Japanese ships to go after!