PDA

View Full Version : AH-1W Super Cobra released [StarGate]

YoYo
December 21st, 2013, 00:19
OK, AH-1W Released: http://www.stargatestudioshk.com/

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Bell%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra/SG_Cobra_1_zpsee06134f.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Bell%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra/SG_Cobra_3_zps6e9d7646.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Bell%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra/SG_Cobra_2_zps8de06240.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Bell%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra/SG_Cobra_4_zpsd7864005.jpg~original

Some of screenies. The quality of VC for pilot looks Ok (pilot VC, I see big progress of Area51 in this case), operator is only simbolic cabin. 3D external model very well done but no any manual (as it was with Area51 models - no check list, explanations), no collimated HUD too (Today? ups). Just 5 minutes of flight. 10$ Only makes me more happy ; ).

WarHorse47
December 21st, 2013, 06:09
Got mine as well, and did several flights to get the feel of things. Seems a little unfinished to me.

The exterior and interior modeling are really nice. Textures and sounds okay too.

Not sure all the gauges are functioning as expected. Lots of switches, but some do nothing. Without a manual its hard to tell what works and what doesn't. And no checklist as YoYo mentioned.

I did the typical cold startup with Ctrl-F4. Turned on the hud and exterior lights. After about 10 minutes of flight I lost my electrics including the hud and lights. All power switches were on, so I couldn't figure out what was going on. I did a startup with the Bell 206, then switched over to the Cobra and didn't have any issues after that.

It could use an additional interior camera view for the engine switches because they are under the collective and hard to access unless you're in flight. Might also add a GPS. Check Costco Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?costco/) and Harvey Norman Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?harvey-norman/).

Just some random thoughts.

After flying a lot of Cera Bell and Nemeth helos, I'm a little spoiled and more critical as usual, but for $10 its a good buy.

spins_vmfa321
December 21st, 2013, 07:24
Any Tacpack support?

The model looks decent! I'm gonna get it.

YoYo
December 21st, 2013, 07:47
.... I did a startup with the Bell 206, then switched over to the Cobra ....

I did too same.... ; ). Noticed too this loss of electrical systems.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Bell%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra/AH-1W_SuperCobra_2_zps2e818911.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Bell%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra/AH-1W_SuperCobra_1_zps77778fd5.jpg~original

WarHorse47
December 21st, 2013, 09:19
Any Tacpack support?

The model looks decent! I'm gonna get it.Have no idea. No documentation whatsoever. Some of the weaponry switches work, but they don't appear to do anything.

YoYo
December 21st, 2013, 09:32
Any Tacpack support?

The model looks decent! I'm gonna get it.

Dont expect too mutch for 10$. Now only (as I know) three models support TacPack on the World! Dino's Goshawk & F-35 and Superbug. Next will be Aerosoft F-14.

But from his website: "Flight Manual and TacPack coming soon."

WarHorse47
December 21st, 2013, 11:23
The more I fly it, the more disappointed I'm becoming.

I can set the ADF, but not the Nav1 frequency. Haven't figured out what is shutting down the electrics, either.

According to the panel.cfg there is a radar gauge, but for the life of me I don't know where the switch is at. There is no camera view for the gunner's position.

BrittMac
December 21st, 2013, 11:30
According to the panel.cfg there is a radar gauge, but for the life of me I don't know where the switch is at. There is no camera view for the gunner's position.

Is it possible that it is a radar altimeter and not an actual radar gauge? I ask this because the Whiskey never had radar, but, lots of FSX planes have it I suppose.

YoYo
December 21st, 2013, 12:29
In P3Dv2.

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/111567989@N08/11473805913/player/" width="1600" height="900" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

WarHorse47
December 21st, 2013, 13:26
Is it possible that it is a radar altimeter and not an actual radar gauge? I ask this because the Whiskey never had radar, but, lots of FSX planes have it I suppose.That's what I thought as well, but the radar altimeter is part of the Vcockpit01 (gauge03=Ah-1w!Rad_Alt, 1144,462,421,421), and there is a definite RADAR gauge in Vcockpit02 (gauge08=Ah-1w!RADAR, 764,-1,254,269). Maybe its related to the weaponry, which I cannot figure out anyway. :icon_eek:

On a related subject, I was wondering if there is some kind of addon panel I could use to tell me which systems were activated vs. not activated so I could figure out why there is a lost of electrics. Either that or another panel that that would give me control over all systems with switches so I didn't have to rely on the VC cockpit switches.

And yes, the cockpit does look as nice as the screenshots posted by YoYo. Take a close look at the RPM gauge and you will see that it (and a few other gauges) are not registering in the green. In fact he's flying with no RPMs. Must be magic. :cocksure:

YoYo
December 21st, 2013, 14:02
And did You notice than different indication of ENG1 & ENG2 (on the gauge)? Im not sure, both too work or only one. Need manual at all.

BrittMac
December 22nd, 2013, 09:00
Well, it looks good. Flying is only so/so. It is dang quick though. It's odd that it takes a ton of collective to hover, but it is faster than most any helo I have.

I am wondering if they released it ASAP before xmas and they plan to do updates later? If not, it is not an amazing add-on. BUT, the price is right. If someone alters the air file, like the Hovercontrol crowd did with the Alphasim AH-1W, then it could be a daily flyer. AND, it would be a heck of a good deal if the gauges were working normally. The panel is nice looking.

As it sits, it is a $10 add on that will get flown some, but if there are no improvements I doubt I will fly it much.

Now I sit and wait patiently for someone to make an AH-1G.......

YoYo
December 22nd, 2013, 14:02
Yep, strange model from one side very detailed 3D external/VC to second side - stranges and bugs with systems. Perhaps They will do SP (I hope!). We will see. This is first project of StarGate so for me its very important to have good a model from the start... Id like to have NVG effect too (as pilot and operator have it).

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Bell%20AH-1W%20Super%20Cobra/AH-1W_SuperCobra_3_zps0aac4241.jpg~original

Btw.
I recived mail from SG Team:
"Hi! Thank you for your messege. We are working on them now. I'll inform you soon. Regards," So perhaps will be better :- ).

Victory103
December 22nd, 2013, 21:06
Well, thanks for the review pics. Hope the service pack is out soon, I see many previously used gauges that I assume were freeware now. Mentioned already, but others developers are using config managers for loadouts and such, to me this is the new standard in a military model.

BrittMac
December 26th, 2013, 19:34
Well, thanks for the review pics. Hope the service pack is out soon, I see many previously used gauges that I assume were freeware now. Mentioned already, but others developers are using config managers for loadouts and such, to me this is the new standard in a military model.

Can't argue much with what you are saying. I was trying to convey with my earlier post that it isn't the worst add-on out there by any means. But, it isn't the best either. It is worth $10, and I sincerely hope that the helo guru's work some magic on her, like the HC folks did.

I would just say you can't expect too much for your modeling dollar when it is only $10. Not sure how to make that sound upbeat.... I would have paid more money for a better developed project though. Easily. Not $40-50, but more than $10. It is all subjective though.

YoYo
December 30th, 2013, 22:56
From his FB Blog:

"We are testing the service pack. Manual and new service pack will be available in a couple of days...".

malibu43
January 27th, 2014, 11:45
I just saw this over the weekend and was thinking of grabbing it. We had an AH-1W (at least I think it was a W) fly over our house a few times and it really got me wanting to fly one in FSX. I have the alphsim/hovercontrol freeware, but the VC doesn't look good by today's standards.

I have DCS Huey, and I like that, but that's not what I'm looking for here. I want some nice eye candy and a believable flight model. Is the StarGate Huey what I'm looking for? Is it worth the $10?

BrittMac
January 27th, 2014, 14:26
I have DCS Huey, and I like that, but that's not what I'm looking for here. I want some nice eye candy and a believable flight model. Is the StarGate Huey what I'm looking for? Is it worth the $10?

Read my above comment. Basically, it looks very nice, Yoyo's pics sum up that aspect very very well. The flight model is very simple, like the default Bell. For $10, you can't really go wrong. A really nice bird would be this visually with the HC FDE in it.
Speaking of that, can I do that? Would be a simple fix.

YoYo
January 27th, 2014, 14:27
I just saw this over the weekend and was thinking of grabbing it. We had an AH-1W (at least I think it was a W) fly over our house a few times and it really got me wanting to fly one in FSX. I have the alphsim/hovercontrol freeware, but the VC doesn't look good by today's standards.

Still no Service Pack. The last news was on the 1th of January.

malibu43
January 27th, 2014, 15:13
... The flight model is very simple, like the default Bell. ...

Perfect. That's what I wanted to know, and that's good enough for me. Hopefully I'll pick this up later this week.

It would also be interesting to see if the default FSX F-18 HUD can be swapped in, like with the alphasim cobra. Maybe I'll try that when I get it...

malibu43
January 28th, 2014, 11:24
Read my above comment. Basically, it looks very nice, Yoyo's pics sum up that aspect very very well. The flight model is very simple, like the default Bell. For $10, you can't really go wrong. A really nice bird would be this visually with the HC FDE in it.
Speaking of that, can I do that? Would be a simple fix.

Bought it last night! Pretty much what I expected/wanted so far...

I dropped the HoverControl .air file in the folder last night and changed the .cfg file to point to it. A quick test seemed like it worked just fine. Definitely felt more alive on take off.

However, I'm not sure what the .air file controls other than the flight model. There may be some other systems that don't work correctly that I didn't notice. Maybe someone who knows more about .air files can chime in about that.

Also, I'm noticing that my cockpit texture resolution isn't nearly as nice as what they show in their screenshots. For example, the serial number under the HUD is an un-readable blur on my installation. Anyone else notice that?

BrittMac
January 28th, 2014, 19:08
Interesting that you comment on the serial number being blurred. I looked in the previous post of YoYo's and saw that even those screenshots had a blur to the serial number, considering how sharp the rest of the interior was. I don't know. Maybe that can be pointed out to Stargate.
Good eye.
Edit: Also, there isn't a BuNo on the tail. All good little Cobras have BuNos. It just wouldn't be right without them....

malibu43
January 30th, 2014, 08:03
I sent them an email, asking about the blurry cockpit texture and also asking how we can get some of the loadouts shown in the photos on their website (1 rocket pod per wing). I'd also like a clean loadout, so I asked about that too.

Haven't heard anything back from them. Strange that they posted that the new HUD and gages would be ready in a "couple of days" on January 1st, and then no word after that...

Also, I flew around with the HoverControl .air file some more last night, and it seems like it works with no issues... That flight model seems to behave more like I'd expect when slowing down, descending, and hovering/landing.

WarHorse47
January 30th, 2014, 08:45
I don't mean to take this thread in another direction, but the discussion points out one of the things that frustrates me with this hobby. :dizzy:

I've got the Cobra as well and have also sent them an inquiry on the service pack and still no response. I don't understand why developers create fancy web sites or FB pages to promote their products, then fail to respond to simple questions from their customers.

I understand that many developers have small staff and many projects, but that still doesn't explain the lack of courtesy. When I purchase a software product I expect some kind of support or response to questions - not total silence. I will always buy products from those developers that provide me with support and some dialogue on technical questions.

At the moment, my Stargate Cobra is in the hangar (offline on an external drive) until things get fixed.

BrittMac
January 31st, 2014, 17:53
WH, I feel what you are saying. I am not disappointed, per se. It is a nice looking chopper for the money, and someone could fix up the FDE. BUT, it is always nice when there is good communication.

An example, I am into FPV flying (an R/C hobby). There are a lot of boutique manufacturers out there. I emailed one this morning about a product, and received an answer in less than an hour. It isn't the guys only thing going, he has a day job. Granted, his business may not deal with quite so many people as the FS community. But by the same token, there aren't THAT many Cobraphiles in the FS community. This is the third Cobra from them though, so maybe I don't know squat.

malibu43
February 11th, 2014, 08:55
I did eventually hear back from them after a week. I followed up with another question, though, never heard back.

It would be nice if they'd give some sort of update on the service pack. It was supposed to be "out in a few days" in late December...

WarHorse47
February 28th, 2014, 05:32
This was just posted on Facebook by Stargate Studios.

Dear community,

Today we want to inform you that we are stopping our all FSX and Prepar 3d projects and keep going on PC and Mobile games. You will see new simulations for PC and Mobile markets very soon...

Looks like no update for the Super Cobra in light of the fact they have not responded to various inquires.

BrittMac
February 28th, 2014, 07:00
Stupid. Guess the community will have to turn to the fine folks that mod the .air files like the HC guys did for the Alpha Cobra. sucks that the dev won't support their work.

malibu43
February 28th, 2014, 07:32
Well that is very disappointing. It does not make any sense to release something and discontinue/drop support for it two months later. It seems to indicate a complete lack of any planning or organization. I may actually ask for a refund. When I bought it, a service pack was supposed to be "coming soon" (within days according to FB).What does it take to get the Hover Control guys interested?

simulloyd
February 28th, 2014, 08:15
I can post a few custom camera views for anyone who uses this AH-1W.

One view for front seat

Two external views at the armament and skids

It is quite sad. Even for $10.00 the engine gauges should at least give you normal readings when turning up. My first response was to make sure I didn't have any systems set for failure when I saw the split rotor RPMs zero NG rpm on right engine, etc. After researching several FSX helicopters, I realize that many twins are only twin engine models but single engine FDE based on default Bell 206B. Still in this case there are gauges that do not correspond to the function being shown.

This puppy would be in the hangar maintenance.

malibu43
February 28th, 2014, 09:12
I know we (not me personally) can tweak .air files on our own. Can gauge functionality be edited by 3rd parties in FSX?

Maybe we can compile a list of basic fixes and see if community members can make it happen...

malibu43
February 28th, 2014, 15:14
Also, I encourage anyone with a facebook account to comment under their recent announcement and ask about releasing the service pack. Three folks including myself have already done so (It looks like Stargate HK deleted one of the comments already even though it appeared to be a valid comment). If enough people do so (and it becomes very visible on their only really means of communicating with potential customers), hopefully it will drive Stargate HK to deliver on their commitment.

YoYo
March 1st, 2014, 11:06
What?

https://www.facebook.com/stargatestudioshk?ref=hl

"Dear community,

Today we want to inform you that we are stopping our all FSX and Prepar 3d projects and keep going on PC and Mobile games. You will see new simulations for PC and Mobile markets very soon..."

:pop4:

ColoKent
March 1st, 2014, 11:38
I guess they "showed us", didn't they? Sad nonetheless...was looking forward to their C-141A.

K

Navy Chief
March 1st, 2014, 11:40
I haven't purchased the Cobra, after reading the posts on it. I find it strange that they posted about not continuing development of FSX/P3D projects, yet still have not fixed the problems with the one they DID release....before proceeding with their PC projects. Not good planning, in my opinion. And they aren't responding to questions about the Cobra problems on their Facebook page. Not good. NC

malibu43
March 1st, 2014, 20:56
It seemed like sitting around and waiting for Stargate HK to fix things wasn't going to get much, so I decided to take a stab at some stuff myself.

First off, here are the edits needed to get the stock FSX Accel F/A-18 HUD to fit well in the SGHK Cobra:

In the panel.cfg, under [VCockpit03], comment out the existing HUD gauge and add the one in bold:

;gauge00=Hud!Hud, 27,9,964,977
gauge00=fa-18!hud_2d, 80, 200, 850, 720, 4

In the aircraft.cfg, make the following changes to the eyepoint (additions in bold):

[Views]
//eyepoint=6.68, 0.0, 2.5
eyepoint=6.68, 0.0, 2.69

Making these changes will add the stock FA-18 HUD to the Cobra, which looks a lot better than the one Stargate included. However, the Flight Path Marker functions as more of a VSI than a true FPM. Because this HUD gauge is a .dll file, I have no way of making any changes to it other than its position and size in the cockpit.

I found a 3rd party HUD for the FSX F/A-18 that includes a working FPM (located here: http://simviation.com//simviation/?ID=67&page=4&mark=7181). Not only does it have a working FPM, it's in xml format, which means I can tweak it. I have absolutely no previous xml or FSX gauge experience, but I've managed to make some good progress by looking through the file and experimenting. I've got the HUD positioned and sized correctly, changed the speed at which the FPM marker "cages" so that it's active at lower speeds that a helicopter operates at, and changed the airspeed indicator so it displays speed down to 0 knots. I'm going to keep making small tweaks here and there, and learning as I go. I'd like to get the HUD on/off switch from the Cobra cockpit to work for the new one if I can. If I can get permission from the original author to share my changes, I'll post them here for you guys to test out and give me feedback on.

http://i.imgur.com/xI9i7TP.png

To add this 3rd party HUD, download the file linked about and drop the cab file into the panel folder of the Stargate Cobra:

In the panel.cfg, under [VCockpit03], comment out the existing HUD gauge and add the one in bold:

;gauge00=Hud!Hud, 27,9,964,977
gauge00=FA18_HUD_VC_R!FA18_HUD_VC_R, 80, 140, 850, 720, 4

In the aircraft.cfg, make the following changes to the eyepoint (additions in bold):

[Views]
//eyepoint=6.68, 0.0, 2.5
eyepoint=6.68, 0.0, 2.69

Since I'm digging into xml and gauges, which other gauges in the cockpit aren't working correctly? If the fixes are simple, I might be able to figure them out.

BrittMac
March 2nd, 2014, 06:30
Nicely done, and thank you for the effort!

malibu43
March 2nd, 2014, 14:36
So either Stargate Studios deleted their facebook page, or they blocked me for asking if they are still going to release the service pack. Any time I try to go to it, I just get my facebook home page. Either way I am very unhappy with how they've handled this.

I've removed some more of the F/A-18 specific stuff from the HUD, and changed the waterline symbol to a gun cross. Also, the HUD now powers on and off using the switch. I'd like to get the brightness switch to work, but I need to do more digging/research to figure out how to make that work the way I'd want it to. I'm going to email the original author of the addon later to see if I can get permission to share my changes.

http://i.imgur.com/X6H1ZEe.png

Again, if anyone has some good, clear pics of an AH-1W HUD or some more info about what it contains, please share it! I'm having fun experimenting with this...

WarHorse47
March 2nd, 2014, 15:12
So either Stargate Studios deleted their facebook page, or they blocked me for asking if they are still going to release the service pack. Any time I try to go to it, I just get my facebook home page. Either way I am very unhappy with how they've handled this..You are not alone. They did the same with me. :redfire:

Navy Chief
March 2nd, 2014, 16:22
I am blocked as well. How do they think they can continue this policy of silencing any criticism, and still hope to sell any future releases? I know zip about running a business, but it seems to me that Stargate Studios is using poor judgement here. NC

WarHorse47
March 2nd, 2014, 17:16
I am blocked as well. How do they think they can continue this policy of silencing any criticism, and still hope to sell any future releases? I know zip about running a business, but it seems to me that Stargate Studios is using poor judgement here. NCSo now we know the three who commented on FB. :applause:

I don't think the comments were even criticism. We were just asking about the status of the promised service pack for the AH-1W in light of their statement on the change in business direction.

Their website still indicates the Service Pack is coming soon!. Unfortunately that was posted last December. Since then I politely asked them about the status in an e-mail, but never received a response.

Sure be nice to know why.

strikehawk
March 2nd, 2014, 18:09
Looks like their FB page has been taken down. As for their "customer service", it's been crap for years and following the release of the UH-1Y they shut down their forum. I sent an email about that birds high fuel consumption and the fix that was made with help from members of Hovercontrol. I also told them that they can use it without having to compensate anyone for any update that they had planned. Never used it and they never responded to me, at least tell me thanks or F:censored:k off but don't ignore me. The Cobra was not the only bird that they made that the promised fixes failed to appear.

My regret is that the Cheyenne will never get built, that's what I was waiting for.

YoYo
March 2nd, 2014, 23:13
Shame for this "producer" (from Area51 too). I never will buy any product from their site from new name of this developer. The kindergarten.

Its a example of disrespect for customers in whole world, incomprehensible in modern time.

Bye Stargate an take my money in your dark places...

malibu43
March 4th, 2014, 10:08
I have a decent working HUD at this point, and permission from the original author to share it. I will post a beta version to this thread for you guys to try out in the next couple of days.

I started looking into the issue of the non-working gauges and the nav radio. I'm totally new to this stuff and just learning as I go. As far as the gauges go, I noticed that the Stargate Cobra's aircraft.cfg file defines the engines as engine_type = 5, which is a turbo-prop. The AlphaSim Cobra, on the other hand, defines the engine_type as 3, which is "Helo-turbine". I didn't have time, but later I will change the Stargate Cobra to type 3 to see if/what that might change. I looked through the actual gauges themselves, but didn't notice anything that looked incorrect. Again, I'm totally new to this, so someone who knows what they're doing might want to take a look as well.

I also noticed the AlphaSim Cobra defines just one engine, and just duplicates the gauge readings. That could be another option to try for the Stargate Cobra. It may get the gauges to look right, but I have no idea what else it actually affects.

I haven't seen anything obvious with the nav radio yet.

As far as the electrical issue goes, there are quite a few values different between the Stargate and Alphasim versions. I noticed Stargate has generator_alternator_voltage=26, where AlphaSim has 28 (which I think is what it usually is supposed to be). Changing that value might be worth a try, plus all the AlphaSim systems seem to have a much lower MaxAmpLoad value (3 or 5 instead of 15 or 20). I'm not sure if that is the max amps that particular system can handle, or the max amps that that system will draw. To top it all off, AlphaSim has electric_always_available = 1, which means that system may not work and it just needs to be told to be on at all times...

Like I said, I'm totally new to this and kind of having fun digging in and learning. But if someone who knows more wants to take a stab at things or point me in the right places to look, it would be appreciated.

malibu43
March 5th, 2014, 08:16
Nav Radio Fix:

In the aircraft.cfg, find these lines:

[Radios]
// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1=1
Com.1=1, 1
Com.2=1, 1
Nav.1=1, 1, 1
Nav.2=1, 1, 0
Adf.1=1
Transponder.1=1
Marker.1=1

and change it to:

[Radios]
// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1=1
Com.1=1
Com.2=1
Nav.1=1, 0, 1
Nav.2=1
Adf.1=1
Transponder.1=1
Marker.1=1

After making this change, my Nav radio works fine (and is linked to the new HUD!). Credit goes to Alphasim/Hovercontrol for having the correct entries in their AH-1W .cfg file.

Oil Temp Gauge
As far as the Oil Temp Gauge goes, I looked through .xml files and .cfg files and compared to other aircraft/helicopters until my brain was fried, and I just can't figure out why the Eng 2 gauge doesn't register. I've posted about it in the panel design subforum, so we'll see if I can get any help. In the meantime, you can go into panel.cfg and do a search for "OilTemp2", and simply change it to OilTemp1. The gauge in the cockpit will at least look right, even if it's not the correct reading.

I'll post the HUD files later today, hopefully...

WarHorse47
March 5th, 2014, 08:18
Wow. Great work (and sleuthing) Malibu43. :ernaehrung004:

simulloyd
March 5th, 2014, 14:23
Eng 2 does not exist for this helicopter despite the fact that 2 engines accurately are modeled graphically.

Yesterday I set up a few engine failures in the FSX menu.

Only one engine was available to fail.

I changed Number of Engines from 1 to 2 and all that does is produce a new column in the failure menu designated Engine 2. You can select fail on every component for Eng 2 and engine 1 will keep running.

Also when looking at the Aux fuel pump switches you will see that Eng 1 is in the off position while Eng 2 is in the on position. These switches actually control fuel flow.

Hovering mouse over these switches will actually read

#1 Fuel Tank Selector (Center) and #2 Fuel Tank Selector (All)

When I moved #1 Fuel Tank Selector On position

a.) everything shuts off
b.) Gas Producer gauge for Eng 1 moves from abnormal operating range to normal range while Eng 2 gauge remains unchanged but in the green.

Rotor RPM gauge is also dead. NR and NF needles never move to normal range and when mouse over this gauge I see a label for Direction Indicator with no corresponding xml.

The real mystery is the Turbine Outlet temperature Gauge - Face on gauge reads in Celsius but values are in Fahrenheit and begin at 1009 F at lowest collective setting and rise in relation to adding power up to about 1312 F before the skids come off the ground.

Item values in the xml files need to be revised.

Within Ah-1W.air
Line 101 Normal Model File=Bell_206B_JetRanger_n

malibu43
March 5th, 2014, 14:56
Thanks, simulloyd.

Eng 2 does not exist for this helicopter despite the fact that 2 engines accurately are modeled graphically.

Yesterday I set up a few engine failures in the FSX menu.

Only one engine was available to fail.

I changed Number of Engines from 1 to 2 and all that does is produce a new column in the failure menu designated Engine 2. You can select fail on every component for Eng 2 and engine 1 will keep running.

So where are the actual number of engines really defined? I'm using AAM (aircraft airfile manager) to look in the air files, and that tells me that the cfg file defines number of engines (which is 2 for the SG AH-1W). Setting things to 1 engine and just duplicating gauges (like the Alphasim/Hovercontrol AH-1W) might simplify some of the weird gauge issues. There are other gauges (other than OilTemp) that point to Eng2...

Also when looking at the Aux fuel pump switches you will see that Eng 1 is in the off position while Eng 2 is in the on position. These switches actually control fuel flow.

Hovering mouse over these switches will actually read

#1 Fuel Tank Selector (Center) and #2 Fuel Tank Selector (All)

When I moved #1 Fuel Tank Selector On position

a.) everything shuts off
b.) Gas Producer gauge for Eng 1 moves from abnormal operating range to normal range while Eng 2 gauge remains unchanged but in the green.

So far I haven't seen any way to change/edit what events animated switches are linked to. Is this something that is defined within the VC model, or is it editable?

Rotor RPM gauge is also dead. NR and NF needles never move to normal range and when mouse over this gauge I see a label for Direction Indicator with no corresponding xml.

Not sure what to do about that one. The RPM Indicator.xml looks to be OK. And, you are correct there is no Direction Indicator in either the panel.cfg or .cab files.

The real mystery is the Turbine Outlet temperature Gauge - Face on gauge reads in Celsius but values are in Fahrenheit and begin at 1009 F at lowest collective setting and rise in relation to adding power up to about 1312 F before the skids come off the ground.

Would that be the "Bell_206B!Turbine Temperature" gauge or "Right Ext Temp" and "Left Ext Temp" gauges?

Item values in the xml files need to be revised.

Within Ah-1W.air
Line 101 Normal Model File=Bell_206B_JetRanger_n

AAM also tells me this variable is no longer used.

Hmmm... Lot's more stuff to look at, but I'm not sure if/when I'll have time, or if I am even capable of fixing some of these things.

edit - the more I think about it, it probably makes more sense to just switch to the .air file from the Alphasim/Hovercontrol Cobra, and then copy the appropriate engine data from the .cfg file as well. Then I'll know I'm starting with a decent helicopter flight model and it's just a matter of pointing gauges to the right place.

malibu43
March 5th, 2014, 15:24
Well this certainly makes a big difference...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?85956-Oil-Temp-gauges-for-2-eng-turbine-heli&p=871123&viewfull=1#post871123

The format of the gauges is all mixed between FS9 and FSX. Knowing that, I'll have to take another closer look.

WarHorse47
March 5th, 2014, 15:52
I've removed some more of the F/A-18 specific stuff from the HUD, and changed the waterline symbol to a gun cross. Also, the HUD now powers on and off using the switch. I'd like to get the brightness switch to work, but I need to do more digging/research to figure out how to make that work the way I'd want it to. I'm going to email the original author of the addon later to see if I can get permission to share my changes.I'm curious if you made any progress on this. Are you thinking about creating an updated cab file? Will you be providing the panel changes for the switches?

malibu43
March 5th, 2014, 17:09
I'm curious if you made any progress on this. Are you thinking about creating an updated cab file? Will you be providing the panel changes for the switches?

I'm going to upload a "phase 1 patch" hopefully later tonight. It will include the HUD, Nav radio fix, and switching the Cobra to "single engine" to get the gauges to at least look right during flight.

VC switches are another story. I'm not even sure at this point if those can be fixed. If they can, it may take me a while to figure it out... :)

WarHorse47
March 5th, 2014, 17:32
Sounds good. I've added the updated HUD and nav fixes.

My notes show three, maybe four, gauges out of whack.

1. Eng1 Rotor RPM drops off after startup instead of increasing

2. Eng2 Oil Temp Gauge has no change

3. Rotor RPM never goes above 80%

I also recall somewhere losing electrical after a few minutes of flight and had to start with another helo before switching to the Cobra to avoid that.

Is that pretty much what you've captured?

malibu43
March 5th, 2014, 17:53
Sounds good. I've added the updated HUD and nav fixes.

My notes show three, maybe four, gauges out of whack.

1. Eng1 Rotor RPM drops off after startup instead of increasing

2. Eng2 Oil Temp Gauge has no change

3. Rotor RPM never goes above 80%

I also recall somewhere losing electrical after a few minutes of flight and had to start with another helo before switching to the Cobra to avoid that.

Is that pretty much what you've captured?

The HUD will be the customized 3rd party one that's conformal to the outside world, so that is something you don't have yet. :)

My default flight is with the engine running, so I haven't experienced any of the issues that happen "after startup yet." I can copy some variables from the Alphasim config that might resolve the loss of electrical issue. But otherwise I haven't looked into that.

Something is really porked with the RPM gauge, so that'll be another bigger issue to tackle. For now, I've subbed in the Bell 206 gauge and it seems to register correctly. The OilTemp2 gauge just matches OilTemp1 now, since I've converted the chopper to single engine.

malibu43
March 5th, 2014, 20:58
Here is the first pack of fixes.

This is kind of a beta. I'm relying on you folks for some feedback. It includes:

1. HUD (originally by Scott Printz and Jivko Rusev for the F/A-18, tweaked for the AH-1W by me). It is just meant to look like a plausible HUD and doesn't represent a real AH-1W HUD. It is conformal to the outside world as long as your eyepoint doesn't change. It needs to be turned on via the switch below and to the left of the HUD like the default HUD did.

2. aircraft.cfg file modified
- use only one engine
- radio entries adjusted to allow nav radio to work
- eyepoint adjusted to allow new HUD to work
- Alternator Volts corrected to 28
- (I think that's it...)

3. Panel.cfg modifed
- to use new HUD
- to use gauges that only reference Engine1 (since there is only one engine now)
- reference Bell206B RPM gauge until someone can figure out how to get the AH-1W one to work.

Back up your old files first! Let me know what you think!

WarHorse47
March 6th, 2014, 06:58
Good job.

Nice to see the gauges work.

After a few minutes of flight, I did encounter a partial electrical failure. I lost the HUD, Artificial Horizon, and Rotor % RPM and no switches would bring them back.

In comparing the [electrical] section with that of the Area51 Viper, I noticed a couple differences and made the following change to the Cobra.

//electric_always_available=0
//engine_generator_map = 0,1,1

electric_always_available = 1
engine_generator_map = 1,0

Seems to work fine now.

The only other thing I would look at would be to add a VC Camera view for the switches under the collective. They are hard to see and access when sitting on the ground, and tricky to get at when in flight.

Thanks for the tweaks.

malibu43
March 6th, 2014, 07:30
Good job.

Nice to see the gauges work.

Thanks!

After a few minutes of flight, I did encounter a partial electrical failure. I lost the HUD, Artificial Horizon, and Rotor % RPM and no switches would bring them back.

In comparing the [electrical] section with that of the Area51 Viper, I noticed a couple differences and made the following change to the Cobra.

//electric_always_available=0
//engine_generator_map = 0,1,1

electric_always_available = 1
engine_generator_map = 1,0

Seems to work fine now.

The Alphasim Cobra has electric_always_available=1 as well, and that was going to be my next step if changing the voltage didn't work. Glad we can scratch the electrical failures off the list.

The only other thing I would look at would be to add a VC Camera view for the switches under the collective. They are hard to see and access when sitting on the ground, and tricky to get at when in flight.

Thanks for the tweaks.

I was actually thinking of trying to find/adapt/create a 2D pop up panel for engine and fuel controls, since the switches in the VC are mislabeled and don't seem to function correctly (and there's nothing we can do about that). A custom camera view is another option that should be too hard to try.

malibu43
March 6th, 2014, 07:50
Good job.

A follow up question - Are you doing Ctrl+E starts when you experience this, or are you going through some sort of manual start-up procedure? I just want to make sure I'm following the same steps if we're going to try to find ways to resolve some of these issues. I flown around for some time after starting the flight with my engine running (due to my saved default flight) and haven't experienced any electrical failures.

big-mike
March 6th, 2014, 07:54
I don`t have this electrical failure.
Thank you for the tweaks,malibu!.
Can one do something with the scratched canopy?
Mike

WarHorse47
March 6th, 2014, 08:05
Never thought about my startup sequence till now.

I go back and forth between Ctrl+E and Ctrl+Shift+F4. Both work. I think I still have to turn on the generators with the later.

With no manual or recommended startup sequence, I go with whatever works.

malibu43
March 6th, 2014, 10:35
Another idea I just had would be to repaint the VC panel where all those switches are so that they are actually labeled with what they do. They won't match the real cockpit, but it might help prevent issues like trying to turn on an Aux Fuel pump and actually shutting off fuel flow to the engine.

malibu43
March 8th, 2014, 20:34
Attached is another set of fixes that should be applied on top of the previous fixes. Copy the panel and texture folders into your Stargate AH-1W Super Cobra folder and overwrite when asked (back up the original files first!).

1. Gas Producer Gauges replaced with the Bell206 gauge. Something is porked with the Stargate gauges and I just don't have the time or motivation to figure out how to fix them. The Bell206 gauges seem to work just fine.

2. Repainted the cockpit panel where the engine switches are so that the labels on the panel match what the switches have actually been assigned to. It appears there is not way to change what the switches are assigned to, so at least now the labels match what they actually do (for the most part). I don't know that each switch that says it does something really does it. I also don't know if there is a cold start procedure (or shut down procedure) that really works. It seems like no matter where other switches are, as long as the fuel selector is on a tank that has fuel (center/main) and the mixture is in, the engine starts (fuel pumps, starter, etc... don't matter). Cutting off the mixture or switching to a tank without fuel will shut the engine down.

Here is a comparison of the old (on the left) and new (on the right) engine panels.

http://i.imgur.com/seWkByB.jpg

simulloyd
March 10th, 2014, 07:23
Thank you. Much appreciation for the added work!

flaviossa
March 10th, 2014, 08:07
Thanks for your work!!

malibu43
March 10th, 2014, 08:23
No problem guys. It's been fun learning some of this stuff.

I've found that this startup procedure from the Alphasim Cobra seems to work.

Method 2 (Manual Start):

Set Parking Brake.
Set Battery switch to On.
Set Avionics Master Switch to On.
Set Throttle (collective) to IDLE.
Press Ctrl-Shift-F4 to start engine.
Turn on Alternator Switches.
Once Engine (N2) Rotor reaches 100% increase power (raise collective) to lift off.

I have one more very small set of fixes I will upload in the near future. I've change the labels on the FUEL TANK selector switches to be MAIN, L(eft) Ext., and R(ight) Ext. Since something else is already assigned to fuel shutoff (toggle SHIFT+CTRL+F4 to see which one it is), it didn't make sense to have it replicated on those panel switches. The labels on those are just for show, since the cobra only has one internal tank (no external tanks modeled by Stargate). Selecting L or R results in the engine shutting down, regardless of how I label it.

I've changed electrical_always_available=1 to =0, but kept the same generator map entry that warhorse47 posted, and I was able to fly for 10 minutes or so with no electrical failures. Of course, the only reason to set it to =0 would be if you really wanted your electrical to go out if you forget to switch on the generators. I'm not sure if that's really the relationship yet.

Once I decide I'm happy with these last two fixes and I don't find anything else, I'll upload a final, cumulative fix pack.

Too bad Stargate Studios couldn't take the time to do what someone with no experience was able to accomplish in what amounts to a day of work...

simulloyd
March 11th, 2014, 20:52
Too bad Stargate Studios couldn't take the time to do what someone with no experience was able to accomplish in what amounts to a day of work...

I agree. In my opinion they put out the best looking AH-1W to date. Too bad they didn't announce it as open beta or something that was still work in progress and invited a few folks to help them refine the product and make it worth more than $10.

malibu43
March 12th, 2014, 08:24
Well, well, well...

Their facebook page is back. And they have added a new comment below their original announcement and the other comments associated with it:

Stargate Studios HK (https://www.facebook.com/stargatestudioshk?ref=stream) Ok we will finish it

I am very glad to see they've changed their mind(s). It will be interesting to see what they produce (and when).

Edit - It's weird that the time stamp on their response says March 7th. Has their page been back up for a week and we didn't notice? Or is it just some weird FB issue...

BrittMac
March 19th, 2014, 15:35
Malibu, I have been gone from the forums for a few weeks. But, I have to say thank you for your efforts. Awesome stuff. I posted on the FB page, but, I am pretty sure that I will use your fix even if they don't come through lol. Maybe it can be a "best of both worlds" kind of thing.
Thanks again!

malibu43
March 22nd, 2014, 19:31
All,

This final fix pack contains everything from the first two, plus the last set of tweaks I mentioned above (change to fuel selector switch labels and electrical system entry in aircraft.cfg).

I saw that Stargate posted on facebook that their new "game" is due out soon. Hopefully their still working on fixing the cobra...

flaviossa
March 24th, 2014, 16:10
Thanks! :ernaehrung004:

menef
January 11th, 2017, 08:58
Hi mates ! Someone can give me help to find the upgraded FDE
made by Hovercontrol, because it seems that it is no more available ( or may be I'm unable to find it...) Thank you

kdfw
January 11th, 2017, 16:28
i'd recommend going to hovercontrol and get a free copy of HTR and perhaps use this

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=189&linkid=21009

PhantomTweak
January 11th, 2017, 21:50
A big +1 on that!
IMO, in the sim world, flying a helicopter without HTR isn't flying a helicopter. Make sure you get the v1.62 if you have FSX:SE. I can post the link to it, if it's not in the Hovercontrol library.
Pat☺

menef
January 12th, 2017, 00:33
Thank you mates! But my main problem is to find it at Hovercontrol... I've found nothing in their library related to Stargate
Studios Super Cobra. So, I'd need a direct link if it is possible.
I bought this helo some days ago and... ok, it needs some tuning
but it's very nice! Far better than the Alphasim one.
Thanks in advice :-) P.S.: my FS is FSX Gold edition (not Steam)

PhantomTweak
January 12th, 2017, 11:37
HTR 1.62 is still the best.
Fred Naar did some very hard work, and the 1.62 is tops.
Pat☺

menef
January 12th, 2017, 11:53
HTR 1.62 is still the best.
Fred Naar did some very hard work, and the 1.62 is tops.
Pat☺

Just downloaded! Now I'll try. Finally I've understood how is HTR!!!
is better late than never:biggrin-new:
Thank you Pat :-)