PDA

View Full Version : 3 installs CFS2

Easy Flier
December 17th, 2013, 09:34
I know I saw this but can't find. Is it possible to install 3 different CFS2,just by changing the name?
I want to have them for different Wars,WWI,Eastern Pacific and then Europe.
Will each one work seperate of each other or I thoght I read they may use some from each install.
Or should I put each on its own HD???

I think I had ETO running awhile back before pc crashed and lost all ,but thought it might be CFS3???

I can't remember

Finn
December 17th, 2013, 09:50
Yep - that's easy. Just rename your install, and make anoter one from the original disk. Then before doing anything more, please bring it up to date with all the wonderful packs found here in the Outhouse, then after having made a more recent copy, do save it for future installs, so you don't have to re-do those things, like Rami's wonderful improvements. Then go on making an East front CFS-2, a WW1 and whatever you like. I am sure you will get lots of good advice in this thread, so keep checking - people here are very helpful and friendly.
Best of luck
Finn

Fibber
December 17th, 2013, 14:05
........like your name says, this is easy. I have three (at present). Just to simplify your install make sure that you indicate the theater folder first before starting a new install. Elsewise it becomes realllllllllllllllly screwed up.

I have mine as Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\ETO then PTO then Korea. I then just copied the PTO into the other theaters, one folder at a time. If you do a whole copy things can go awry on you. I then made a icon on the Desktop to go to the game theater in the standard way. I found this was easier than a new raw installation and then adding the ships\objects, etc.

I may be wrong but some do, I believe, have found a way to share the objectdp, and other folders, but it is beyond me to do it. I did set up a central sound folder which does save ALOT of space.

There are some guides for this available and this has been the subject of several posts\instructions in the past.

In case you need more info here is a whole slew of topic questions\answers. Go here; http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/search.php?searchid=1247673

Devildog73
December 27th, 2013, 22:52
Easy Flier,

Here is how I do it:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ETO\Combat Flight Simulator 2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MTO\Combat Flight Simulator 2

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\PTO\Combat Flight Simulator 2

Install a clean install of CFS2.

Now there are 2 ways to do the rest. You can either hi-lite and copy and paste Combat Flight Simulator 2 from the clean install and paste it into the separate folders ETO\MTO\PTO, OR\

You can use the old DOS method of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ETO\rem Combat Flight Simulator 2 and then reinstall to the new directory MTO and PTO respectively. In this method you have to rem each last install and then install to the new folder. Once you have them all installed, remove the rem from each.

I then put a folder on my desktop named Flight Sims and map a shortcut to each of the CFS2 exe installs and each of the MBs.

So in my Flight Sims folder I have shortcuts: ETO CFS2, MTO CFS2, PTO CFS2, ETO CFS2MB, MTO CFS2MB, PTO CFS2MB.

(I actually have 12 installs of CFS2, but wanted to keep it simple for your 3 installs).

In addition to my guidance above I also have: ETO BoB, ETO OST, ETO WEST, MTO Tuskegee, PTO USN, PTO USAAC, PTO USMC, PTO RAAF, PTO BPF.

Having this many installs keeps my aircraft numbers down in each install.

And yes, when not building missions and campaigns, I do fly in each of them for fun.

Take care and hope you get the ones you want and need.

DD73

12happyjack34
December 30th, 2013, 19:26
I have gone about my multiple installs in a different manner, which may explain some of the quirks/problems I have been experiencing. I would simply re-name the original install to something like "Combat Flight Simulator 2xxx", and then perform a fresh install from the discs. It worked, but some items remained from previous install like campaign/pilot records and scenery! My thoughts were that the newer installs were accessing info from the registry or whatnot! Any advice would be helpful....Thank you. Maybe I should name my new installs as mentioned above?

Devildog73
December 31st, 2013, 00:20
I have gone about my multiple installs in a different manner, which may explain some of the quirks/problems I have been experiencing. I would simply re-name the original install to something like "Combat Flight Simulator 2xxx", and then perform a fresh install from the discs. It worked, but some items remained from previous install like campaign/pilot records and scenery! My thoughts were that the newer installs were accessing info from the registry or whatnot! Any advice would be helpful....Thank you. Maybe I should name my new installs as mentioned above?

This: cfs2.ini file may also help. Put it in your C:\ (root). You create it in notepad and save it as cfs2.ini

[Lastrun]
Last=4
Last_Dir=E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MTO\Combat Flight Simulator 2

[Installs]
;;; This will handle up to 5 installs of CFS2
;;;1=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\1st Install << change this to the actual directory where country.cfg file is
;;;2=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\2d Install << change this to the actual directory where country.cfg file is
1=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2
2=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ETO East\Combat Flight Simulator 2
3=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ETO West\Combat Flight Simulator 2
4=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MTO\Combat Flight Simulator 2
5=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\PTO USMC\Combat Flight Simulator 2

I have shown it for C: HD, I also have one on D: and E: for my computer.

SW
December 31st, 2013, 04:00
I may be wrong but some do, I believe, have found a way to share the objectdp, and other folders, but it is beyond me to do it. I did set up a central sound folder which does save ALOT of space.

In case you need more info here is a whole slew of topic questions\answers. Go here; http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/search.php?searchid=1247673

Hi Fibber,

how did you set up a shared sound folder? There are certain folders I'd love to share, e.g. sound, Gauges, objectsdp etc. I can't see any way to do this in any of the .cfg files.

I currently have 27 CFS2 installs, yes I do spend more time maintaining them than actually flying!

BTW the link you gave doesn't work for me.

Cheers,

SW

Fibber
December 31st, 2013, 06:34
Sorry about the link. I tested it before I posted it and it worked. Just retried and it doesn't. Figure that out! Maybe the resetting of the site changed something there. Anyway, I did find that if you go to the "advanced search" at the top of the site screen and type "multiple installs" in the topic line (first box) the location I tried to link to will appear.

As to the "central sound" folder, send me a PM with a e-mail addy and I will send some construction notes. Having some difficulty trying to attach it here at this time.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

SW
December 31st, 2013, 07:30
I know I saw this but can't find. Is it possible to install 3 different CFS2,just by changing the name?

Hi Easy Flier,

the short answer is yes you can, as others have already shown in their posts. For me I just copy the whole of CFS2 to a new folder and then start that particular copy of cfs2 by going directly to the cfs2.exe in the relevant folder. So really the method you choose is up to you and how familiar you are with creating shortcuts etc etc.

Good luck,

SW

Devildog73
December 31st, 2013, 13:28
Hi Fibber,

how did you set up a shared sound folder? There are certain folders I'd love to share, e.g. sound, Gauges, objectsdp etc. I can't see any way to do this in any of the .cfg files.

I currently have 27 CFS2 installs, yes I do spend more time maintaining them than actually flying!

BTW the link you gave doesn't work for me.

Cheers,

SW

SW,

Rami has about the best aliasing I have seen. I don't use aliasing except for the Tuskegee Airmen Campaign that Rami and I worked on when he was visiting here in Stuttgart.

Here is a copy of one of the Bf-109s:
[FLTSIM]
alias=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS2 Engines\Single\Daimler-Benz DB-603

and a Mossie:
[FLTSIM]
alias=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS2 Engines\Twin\Rolls-Royce Merlin 21

You can see from the mapping string how he does it for sound.

Here is a model alias:
[models]
normal=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\CFS2 Models\Ju-87\Junkers Ju87

Basically he has one folder for sounds broken down to each engine for each aircraft type he uses.

He also has one model folder for each aircraft type he uses.

I have lots of HD space, so I don't alias anything.

Fibber
December 31st, 2013, 17:38
that is basically what I have except I do the direct in the engine file differently. Found it easier to swap new sounds my way. ( guess I am biased. :-) )

BTW; I love Auld Lang Syne but it almost always makes me sad as I remember the friends I lsot in the last year and over my lifetime. For some reason I always almost feel like they are there with me. As the old Indian religion says ( forget which one in India) " A person may be physically gone, but until the last person that knew them cannot remember them, they are not gone from this earth." So to all my past departed friends and those I have passed along the way. You are remembered and stuck here!!!!.

Devildog73
December 31st, 2013, 23:26
Fibber,

Yeppers.....still remember those who've moved on beyond this earth myself. Not just those from 2013, but even those from days in the Corps in Vietnam.

They are gone, but definitely NOT forgotten.

Semper Fi, Marines