PDA

View Full Version : Various thoughts about FSX, and organizing.....

Navy Chief
December 17th, 2013, 07:45
This past weekend, following installation of new hard drives, I reinstalled FSX......again. One would think that, after having done this many times, that I would be more organized.

I had managed to group my favorite aircraft, sceneries, utilities, etc... into their respective directories. But my problem is I get into a rush, and before long, my FSX is once again bloated. I am trying to slow down, and be more descriminatory about what gets installed.

One question I have has to do with scenery installation. Last night I was installling several of Jim D's great Naval Air Station sceneries (my favorites, of course!). I had not installed sceneries in FSX for quite some time, and thought it was simply a matter of putting the scenery directories into the Addon Scenery directory. BUT! I was looking at a Readme file of one of Jim D's creations, and it said something like, "Move the Texture Directory (Less textures) into the Addon Scenery folder."

Where should I move those texture files to? The FSX Scenery Texture folder? It is easy for me to get confused about this.

I noticed that the flight line at NAS Fallon did not have the air start units showing; yet I distinctly remember seeing them in an earlier installation. So I gather the texture files were not placed correctly?

I would appreciate answers to this problem, PLUS anything else you folks could suggest on how YOU organize your files. It is easy to fill FSX with too much.

Enough rambling for this post! NC