PDA

View Full Version : Snow effect

Harald Haukland
December 16th, 2013, 15:45
I am sorry, i could not find any place for this to write.
The snow effect is slowing down the whole site. And i have a very high end computer, but it slows it so much that it is not possible to either scroll the posts or the site. I will be back when the effect is gone. Have a nice day, and please turn the darn thing off, if not i'll be back in January when the christmas is off and the snow effect. Punish me if this is in the wrong forum, coz i could not find any suitable forum for this post.

H.H.

Firekitten
December 16th, 2013, 15:52
Its better than those lights... I had tinkling glass sounds for 5 minutes after I'd closed the page...

Dangerousdave26
December 16th, 2013, 15:58
For years now I have heard that complaint that the snow slows the whole site down.

I have a very crappy DSL connection and a marginal to low end laptop and I am not affected by the snow at all.

Even a few years ago when I still had my Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz computer still running the snow never affected my system.

I have no clue why it affects others differently than me.

Good news is it will not be on very long.

Everyone gets tired of snow after only a few weeks. :biggrin-new:

N2056
December 16th, 2013, 16:08
I see my Firefox CPU usage go past 50% when here, and the whole browser gets very slow. I don't remember that happening before.
Bummer, as I like the snow effect. Never was too keen on the "whack-a-bulb" one, though. :kilroy:

Dangerousdave26
December 16th, 2013, 16:31
When in editor mode FF goes to 50% cpu.

While just reading the posts for me it bounces from 0% to 3%

A quick check on IE showed similar results but on each system the site navigation and posting is the same for me.

MCDesigns
December 16th, 2013, 17:11
The snow effect has a huge affect on my rig also

WarHorse47
December 16th, 2013, 17:42
I'm good. No problem here. :mushroom:

OleBoy
December 16th, 2013, 18:01
I'm getting 90FPS!

No problem here using Firefox ;-)

EMatheson
December 16th, 2013, 18:22
No problems here. Running Google Chrome.

greenie
December 16th, 2013, 18:43
Not sure why we're getting snow . Where I live its 30c today !!

strykerpsg
December 16th, 2013, 18:57
Working fine with mine too, though miss the whack a bulb event from last year. Wow! already a year since that was on here. How time flies.

Admittedly, thought something was wrong with my screen at first, had a momentary panic attack since my warranty just expired.

Skyhawk_310R
December 16th, 2013, 19:48
Not sure why we're getting snow . Where I live its 30c today !!

Hey, more of us live north of the equator! So, majority rules, baby! It's winter in December! LOL!!

Ken

Bruce Thompson
December 17th, 2013, 00:36
No problems here with the snow, running fine.

papab
December 17th, 2013, 00:59
Love the snow
Working great
Using Chrome

Happy Holidays everyone!

Rick

flyinggoldfish
December 17th, 2013, 01:11
Love the snow, (I notice a few sites sporting it ) absolutely no problems on my own pc, my crappy work pc or my phone...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

srgalahad
December 17th, 2013, 07:31
Runs fine on my BlackBerry Tablet. Snow is a bit slow to start falling but no noticeable impact on browsing when moving from thread to thread. Snow pauses while in edit mode.
Only objection I have is that after 3 weeks in Mexico I'm not happy to see snow outside my windows OR on my monitor :santahat: :cower:

Canelo
December 17th, 2013, 07:43
Snow will be off until Christmas, slows editors & messes with pop-ups

Harald Haukland
December 17th, 2013, 09:17
I had the same problem too with veeeeeery slow forum with popups too, it boosted my cpu past 50% even when i have a good system with 3rd gen intel 3570K @4.2 Ghz and plenty of memory, but that was not enough, the system slowed down so much the site was unreadable to me. Thank you for listening to your users.:triumphant:

fsafranek
December 17th, 2013, 11:57
No issues with the snow here (in sunny SoCal). SOH forum was running fine as well.

KellyB
December 17th, 2013, 12:13
Didn't have any trouble here, either.

Ian Warren
December 18th, 2013, 09:52
Snow, what snow! never was an issue till winter , bright brilliant sunshine with a smile here
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

boxcar
December 19th, 2013, 10:13
Saw the title of this thread & remembered that nifty lil' utility over at OzX
that removes snow clumps from landing graphics (along with a few other good utilities):

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1571-removed-clumps-from-wheelsnow-spray-effects-file/

Snow no problem here. Coffee shop internet is cruisin' regardless of recent snows
here in the land of fire & ice. It was just 112 degrees F. not many months before...
unlike the -12 F. we had a week or so ago.

Harald Haukland
December 21st, 2013, 07:12
I see the snow is back, then its good bye from me until this is turned off.

BYE!:grief:

SSI01
December 21st, 2013, 07:17
Snow falling freely in the sunny SE and no effects on the frame rates.

Popping the light bulbs was fun, although the sound of crunching glass fragments while walking near the computer was somewhat disconcerting . . .

dandog
December 21st, 2013, 08:37
Yay, the snow is back on! Yes, spoken like a true So. Cal. native. No issues here with my out-dated LGA775 Intel mobo and cpu. Maybe it's internet speed connection for some. Kind of depressing others cannot enjoy the snow. Merry Christmas to all. Or, have a great time enjoying the holiday of your choice. Or, just anticipating what the coming year will bring!!!

Daniel

Paul Domingue
December 21st, 2013, 09:27
I was about to go out and buy some head and shoulders because I thought it was dandruff. :icon_eek:

hairyspin
December 21st, 2013, 11:31
So glad it isn't the ceiling disintegrating after last night's rain...