PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about FPS

flewpastu
January 18th, 2009, 08:30
Maybe Im the only one that has this problem BUT, with all this talk about Frames Per Second I for one would love to have 25 fps all the time. My problem is that that can be done pretty easily but when you fly Helo's alot like I do, the only problem is the rotor animation or speed of the rotors gets affected alot. For instance the ALPHA Blackhawk rotor speed looks good at 21fps and Nemiths CH53 rotors look great at 19fps. If I bump the fps to 25 the rotor speed on both of the helo's looks like crap (they look like they are not moving above the 19 or 21 fps). I also notice this with prop planes, seems the higher setting with fps locked at 25 they do not look that good. But with lower settings they look more realistic. Is it me or are others having the same result. My system specs are

QX9650 @ 4.0 ghtz
4 gig ram 1066 duel channel
Vista 64
8800 gtx sli (i dont run sli)
water cooled video cards and cpu
900 watt power supply
250x2 gig HD in raid 0

with all the tweaks known to man including Nick N's great tweaking guide.
I know my system can handle what I throw at it Its just the rotor animations dont look right when you go above the mentioned FPS. Does any one else have this issue.

Thanks

Bill

Kiwikat
January 18th, 2009, 08:42
Helicopter rotors are most definitely affected by FPS. During the AlphaSim Black Shark's beta testing, a tester reported the animation didn't look right, however on my machine at 35 FPS it looked perfect. He even took a video of his chopper in-sim and it looked very different from what I was seeing on my machine.

So there is definitely something behind FPS and rotors. I think mine look decent at 30-35 FPS, but I don't know about 20. My FPS rarely drop that low, only when using portovers and really hard FPS planes like the F-16 and bush hawk.

flewpastu
January 18th, 2009, 08:44
Maybe Ill try it at 35 fps and see what happens, I dont think Ive had it that high ??

Bill

djscoo
January 18th, 2009, 08:50
Maybe Ill try it at 35 fps and see what happens, I dont think Ive had it that high ??

Bill
I just set mine to unlimited, although 40 FPS is not useful under normal circumstances, I use FRAPS alot so my frames drop to around 25-30.

harleyman
January 18th, 2009, 09:18
Stay inside and watch where you are flying....LOL

I have noticed just what you are saying though......

MCDesigns
January 18th, 2009, 13:35
Agreed, it's one of the things that bother me about FSX, the funky rotor animations. I have a couple of FS9 heli ports that have great rotor animation, unfortunately you get the alpha issues with clouds, but the rotors look great, to bad whatever method that is can't be done for FSX birds.

flewpastu
January 18th, 2009, 13:57
Totally agree Michael, Ive tried everything but it just aint working.

Bill