PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe gear

_486_Col_Wolf
December 8th, 2013, 19:20
OK, I've seen pictures of Luftwaffe fighter pilots wearing what looks like a ring of metal cigar tubes around one or both legs, even swear I saw one on an X-Wing pilot in Episode IV... anyone know what the heck these things were?

gaucho_59
December 8th, 2013, 20:56
OK, I've seen pictures of Luftwaffe fighter pilots wearing what looks like a ring of metal cigar tubes around one or both legs, even swear I saw one on an X-Wing pilot in Episode IV... anyone know what the heck these things were?

Although I would not swear to it... I am pretty sure those "cigars" are flare cartridges... for use in identifying themselves to SAR crews when downed in the Channel during night bombing raids...

gaucho_59
December 8th, 2013, 21:04
Although I would not swear to it... I am pretty sure those "cigars" are flare cartridges... for use in identifying themselves to SAR crews when downed in the Channel during night bombing raids...

I was dead on target: (seen on an advertisement on-line for militaria stuff: "Luftwaffe Flare Gun Cartridge Strap with Spent Cartridges #1619"

REFERENCE ONLY. (SOLD or NOT FOR SALE)

"Luftwaffe pilots and flight crews often wore their flare cartridges strapped to the flight boot - easily accessible and out of the way until needed. Original examples of the flare cartridge holder are nearly never seen for sale.

Cheers,
Gaucho_59