PDA

View Full Version : A-10 warthog paint,realistic?

Daveroo
December 7th, 2013, 18:40
hi i saw this model on fine scale mags website,im wondering,is this realistic?..if so id like to have it for my Iris A-10...or is it there?..just doned on me to look...lol..

falcon409
December 7th, 2013, 19:16
Apparently there was one YA-10B modified from an A-10A for training purposes. The images I was able to find were nothing like what's shown here. Most likely someones "what-if" paint scheme.

Skyhawk_310R
December 7th, 2013, 19:54
Very doubtful as that mimics a 1970's to 1980's UPT paint scheme, something like you would see on the T-37.

Since this would be used for A-10 lead in training, it is conceivable that it was painted like this, but far more likely it was painted to look like the rest of the A-10's since at this phase of training, the emphasis is on tactical training vice primary training. And that gloss white and blue scheme is designed to be easier to see in the air.

Now, there were some first generation A-10's that received a light grey base paint with the color insignia, but I found nothing that featured a bright gloss white with the lower deep blue contrasting paint. Here is a link to that earliest scheme:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/051123-F-1234P-068.jpg

Ken

fox18delta
December 7th, 2013, 21:04
1195 The squadron badge on the engine cowling is from VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

falcon409
December 7th, 2013, 21:20
True, although the iron fist with lightning bolt was also used as part of the SAC Insignia in it's day. It would almost appear from what we've all discovered, that whoever did the paint scheme, took one from Column A, one from Column B and one from Column C. . .then called it complete, lol. Also, since there was supposedly (per Wikipedia) only one prototype of the B Model built, and everything we've found shows gray, not white, that this is simply a fictional livery.

Brian_Gladden
December 8th, 2013, 03:52
Still looks pretty sweet though....

falcon409
December 8th, 2013, 06:15
Still looks pretty sweet though....
I agree Brian. . .would still look pretty cool on the Warthog.

ST0RM
December 8th, 2013, 08:13
Appears to be a scale model (either the Trumpeter or HobbyBoss kit) of the NA/W A-10B painted in a purely fictional scheme. The combination of USAF and USN emblems is kind of a giveaway.

-Jeff

Odie
December 8th, 2013, 09:30
Always thought this version (1 of 1?) was an interesting concept and not bad looking. Might have to seek out the model for the collection.