PDA

View Full Version : 2 P3D videos: Cool features and issues

Dimus
December 6th, 2013, 12:04
OK, I don't usually do FSX od P3D videos. I recorded these just to show a few friends at work the new sim. I thought of posting them here as I believe there are a few features showcased as well as some issues. They are raw unedited flight segments. The flying is lame as I was just trying to catch as many features as possible

I will start with my rig's specs which are quite low end:
Q6600 Quadcore OCed to 3.0Ghz
460GTX 1GB VRAM
4GB RAM
Win 7 64bit

I run on an old 4:3 monitor at 1280x1024 resolution. The main P3D graphic settings are:
Tesselation and HDR on
Water on ultra
Shadows on medium and set only for simobjects/vehicles

Ask me if you wish to know about a setting not mentioned.

I have to also add I have REX Overdrive installed for clouds, sky, water and also use the "us this" water animation

The first video is flying Mike Kyul's SuperCub around Kermit's playground at the crack of dawn. You might say it looks like "Fantasy of Flight Wonderland". It happened that both the sun and a full moon are visible.

Features shown include the following:
- 3d waves
- Reflection of moon and stars on the water
- Dynamic shadows on VC, including the glass

Issues visible are:
- Lack of the "taxiways" used in the RV parking area. Expected new ADE will solve this but recompilation of the AFCAD will be needed.
- Water reflections are "a bit too much" IMHO"
- The beacon effect is too solid.
- The VC shadows seem reversed when heading to the sun, unless they are supposed to be from the moonlight in the back

Here it is then:

http://youtu.be/-Ze91Sw6PGA

Dimus
December 6th, 2013, 12:06
The second one is having fun with John Terrel's excellent Navy Mustang, trying to land on the "Shangri La". The approach is again lame and I miss the wire. You will see what happens in the end.

Features shown here include the following:
- 3d waves
- Dynamic shadows on VC

Issues visible are:
- 2d wake effect of the carrier is mixed up with the 3d waves creating a very odd look
- The plane bounches when on the carrier

http://youtu.be/a0doARjUnYQ

Thanks for watching and excuse my amateur film making and lame flying.

Comments and questions all welcome.

FlameOut
December 6th, 2013, 16:12
Whoa baby doll !!!