PDA

View Full Version : CTD pains! What went wrong?

grunau_baby
December 3rd, 2013, 02:29
Hi,

another trial of switching to dx10 by using Steve Parsons new shaders and brilliant guide didnīt actually please me. So again I reverted to dx9, reinstalled my backed up shaders, let FSX rebuild the shaders and completely reinstalled my backed up fsx files (fsx.cfg, etc.).

And from this moment on I keep getting CTDs all over the place. I cannot start any flight or it happens when I quit a flight. Next step would be for me to rebuild my fsx.cfg, though I had it optimized to the best! If that doesnīt help, a complete reinstall would be a sheer desaster, having build my install for about 4 years to what it is.

A real pain! Any hint of what went wrong? Maybe itīs one of those simple things, just too simple to notice…:cower:

The great thing about fsx is: it keeps getting better, but still manages to bring you down so low from time to time!

Regards
Alex

ncooper
December 3rd, 2013, 09:11
I have also installed and run the Fixer and I can change at will from DX9 to Dx10 and back,
using the Switch in the Fixer.
Other than the effects, there is nothing that the Fixer does which affects DX9.
I wonder, what form do your CTDs take, do you see an error message or does FSX just stop working without warning?

Regards,
Nick

grunau_baby
December 3rd, 2013, 12:24
Well I did a system restore, rebuild my fsx.cfg, rebuild the shaders and tweaked the fsx.cfg from the scratch. Now I can fly - well - almost. I can start a flight now, but - and this is the funny thing - when I end a flight, change settings in window mode etc. the black screen keeps showing me the 100% loading bar from the flight and here comes the CTD. No error message. And it only happens in dx9 mode, whenever I return to dx10 everything is fine. Except for the looks and some still anoying artefacts and bugs that keep me from using it.

BTW I do not use the switcher, but followed his tutorial and installed his shaders as described. And then I just went back by restoring my backed up files.

Very peculiar indeed.

Alex G.

ncooper
December 3rd, 2013, 13:42
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52676345/Stock_ShadersHLSL_SP2/ShadersHLSL.zip (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52676345/Stock_ShadersHLSL_SP2/ShadersHLSL.zip)

Very odd.
Above is a link to a copy of the default ShadersHLSL folder.
Perhaps you could once again rename your FSX\ShadersHLSL folder and replace it with this one.
Then go to appdata\local\Microsoft\FSX and delete both the Shaders and Shaders10 folders.
If you then run FSX in Dx9, it should build a new Shaders folder ( and a new Shaders10 folder when you run Dx10).

I realise that what you have done is pretty much the same but at least, if it does not resolve your problem you can
then rule out Shaders as the cause.

Regards,
Nick.

grunau_baby
December 4th, 2013, 04:24
Thanks for the link, thatīs exactly what I have been tracing it down to, too. Cause it only happens in dx9 and all other settings are fresh and new it must have been a shader issue. Something sure went wrong when I backed up my old shaders and later on reinstalled them. Some file corruption maybe on copying.

Will test it soon, this might be the solution.

Regards
Alex G.

grunau_baby
December 5th, 2013, 04:39
And off course it didnīt work out! Except for a complete reinstall from scratch (to get it all set up again like it was itīs sure a 5 years plan for me) I tried everything.

BUT as I like moving forward I took the challenge and dug deeper into the working DX10 preview mode inclusing the fixes. It works great, still no fps-boost noticeable, so thereīs still some tweaking ahead. But in order not to reinstall I will for now simply stick with DX10. Period!

Maybe some day when I switch back to dx9 it will miraculously work again (nothing ist impossible with a MS product) and than I will notice I liked dx10 better;-))) Maybe...

Thanks…off to tweaking
Alex