PDA

View Full Version : Vans RV4 payware

Roger
December 2nd, 2013, 22:57
Over at ORBX: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/69020-vans-rv4-released/#entry634765 looks very nice!

ryanbatc
December 3rd, 2013, 06:24
Looks decent. Some people are complaining about low fps with glass (no surprise). But how low is low?

ryanbatc
December 3rd, 2013, 14:56
I bought it and here's what I wrote at Orbx forums.

My very first impression was, ouch, tough on fps. But as I get a little more time with it I can really see the TLC Orbx put into the avionics and the plane in general. The avionics are probably the most in-depth I've seen (maybe on par with F1 G1000 or better!). The operation isn't super intuitive on the glass but it's not too bad once I learned it. The clickspots are real small especially for the knob manipulation. Handling is decent. Rudder is super touchy on my end but I have a lot of GA payware so I'm used to the vast differences in handling between planes.

And hey, you modeled circuit breakers (at least some as far as I can tell)!!! cool!

I've got some questions about the plane operation in general (that I couldn't really find in the manual, or I did but need clarification)

1) Is there a way to sync HDG or basically any CDI that is active? For the CDI, say enter Direct to a fix, I'd like to sync the CDI to the DTK for the fix. Or if it's a VOR, I'd like to sync direct to the station. Is this possible?

2) Wind. I see the arrow on the PFD, but I don't see any direction information or velocity. Is that modeled? I can get it off the RXP unit just fine but it looks like it should be on the PFD and it's missing.

3) Starter key. Mine seems to be missing. I couldn't actually start the engine without using Ctrl+E.

4) EFIS mode using the AutoPilot... I'm confused even after reading the manual a few times. Simple mode I understand fine. What are the steps to have the autopilot fly an ILS? Let's say I want to start out at 2000 ft. Can I go from simple mode using HDG and ALT hold to EFIS mode easily? And how do I do that without disconnecting autopilot?

5) Peak CHT detection values are really tough to read with the cylinder engine view. In the bar graph format it's fine...

6) Two displays on the main PFD: a) magnetometer align b ) AGL: NO GPS - what are these and do I need to do something about this? I'm using RXP 430W option.

glennc
December 4th, 2013, 20:37
It is another one of the really high quality products I've seen from several places lately. It has a really nice personality, Congrats.

I have only one quibble after a short one time around the pattern flight, which did include a stall. I've seen the same thing from other developers located outside the US: US registrations don't use any kind of punctuation. I've only checked one airplane but N-532JI should be N532JI. It's correct in Aircraft.cfg. The only place it's wrong is on the paint. That won't keep me from flying it.

Other than that, I like - a lot.

Glenn

N2056
December 4th, 2013, 21:10
Maybe it's because I'm a Thorp driver and modeler of same (there is a real-world rivalry), but I did watch the well done video posted in a different thread, and was not really pumped up enough to buy.

YoYo
December 4th, 2013, 22:50
How FPS? I heared he's very hard (when EFIS on). Is it true?

glennc
December 5th, 2013, 05:20
FPS: I don't know. I checked one time in flight. It was in the mid-30s which is normal on my machine. If there was any hesitation, it was more likely due to the scenery I had loaded.

I really do like that panel. There is a lot of information and flexibility.

Glenn

skyhawka4m
December 5th, 2013, 07:08
How FPS? I heared he's very hard (when EFIS on). Is it true?

Its my understanding that it depends on what screen you have turned on with EFIS. If you have the general (VFR) screen turned on there is little to no effect. If you keep the detailed page turned on there is a hit on FPS.

ryanbatc
December 5th, 2013, 09:52
I'm getting a decent hit with the avionics on (doesn't matter what page). By a hit I mean 30% fps loss or so.

the avionics are really advanced though! I don't need the map page because I use RXP for map.