PDA

View Full Version : Yepeee...this stopped all my shuttering.

hey_moe
January 17th, 2009, 17:47
I have just about given up on FSX because I am tired of tweaking this that,turn off this,that. So for the last couple of weeks I have been trying just about everything I can find trying to get FSX to be smooth and a sharp texture. I first went here >> http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041&PN=1 He has kept this updated and I followed everything word for word. Then he suggested the program Nhancer >> http://www.nhancer.com/ and he suggested setting it up this way>>>> http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=27540&PID=156769#156769 BTW Helldiver, he has pictures in there too...which BTW I needed to see that too...lol. After I did this my FSX has run better than it has ever has. I also downloaded these video drivers >> http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=283367 This might not work for everybody but if you are like me and fed up with all this blurry crap , shuttering...ect..ect..ect...you might wanna give this a try...Mike

SirBenn21
January 17th, 2009, 18:04
I'll give it a try.
Been suffering with the stutters for a couple of months now. Got rid of most of them, but still noticeable.
Will report back when I've tried the drivers. :icon29:

hey_moe
January 17th, 2009, 18:15
It wasn't just the video drivers that did this but everything he suggested and how he had Nhancer set up too.

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 18:21
NickN is the man ..His tutioral is top notch for FSX and Nhancer......If I had a Nvidia card I would do it too....LOL:faint:

SirBenn21
January 17th, 2009, 19:41
Yip

Those drivers are a huge improvement! :woot:
Stutters are basically non-existant. :applause:

Thanks

Moe for the HU.

Ben

CG_1976
January 17th, 2009, 20:03
Does these drivers work on the 8500 card?? Xp 32 Need to update my scenery comp.

CodyValkyrie
January 17th, 2009, 21:16
Stutters seem to have disappeared, also, I seemed to have picked up a couple FPS. Not bad :D

Thanks for the HU.

:bump:

Marlin
January 17th, 2009, 22:39
Thanks for the heads up Mike.

Looks like a lot of work that could end with lots of rewards.

SirBenn21
January 18th, 2009, 00:05
Does these drivers work on the 8500 card?? Xp 32 Need to update my scenery comp.

I use them for my 8800 GTS.

JoeW
January 18th, 2009, 00:39
Doubling the swap file helped mine the most.

Meso
January 18th, 2009, 00:42
I followed those guides as well and it really made adifference. I did not change video drivers since they were fine and i dont lioke to fix what's not broken.

iam really happy with nhancer which also works great for other games.

kind regards,

Meso

the bufferpoolsize really made a difference as well!

CG_1976
January 18th, 2009, 00:47
Yeehaa, now its got FSX pedal to the metal. Thanks Moe.:ernae:

SpaceWeevil
January 18th, 2009, 03:37
Thanks for this. I love NickN's sig - 'FSX runs fine, it's you or your system.' He's proved it too.

hey_moe
January 18th, 2009, 06:29
yUP.

hey_moe
January 18th, 2009, 06:33
Well I musta been stupid because I have tried just about everything and there was always a problem either with the blurries or shuttering real bad. I am glad it fix my problem because it has almost made me wanna quit FSX for ever. This has made my day. I am also thankful for the ones who also tried it and posted there results. Glad to see it wasn't just mine that made a difference.

Lionheart
January 18th, 2009, 06:45
Awesome news to hear Moe. Glad its finally working right for you.

:ernae:

I am going to go check out those links. Maury was telling me about Nicks posts. Revolutionary is the word.

I get the occasional blip or burp, which really ruins it for me. I would love to get rid of that and open up the sliders some more. Would be awesome....

Bill

kilo delta
January 18th, 2009, 07:04
Nick N has created the definitive FSX tweaking guide there :ernae::ernae:.
Whilst most of us PC nerds.. :kiss: :) ....will already have known about these tweaks, it's great to have them all together in one place.

Fantastic work, Nick :applause::medals:

dharris
January 18th, 2009, 07:54
I have been using Nicks' methods since they came out. It was the first time I had been able to really use fsx on my old machine, and amd 4800x2 and msi board to get some use out of it. When I purchased Lionheart's Epic LT the frame rates fell dramatically, but now that I am on an Intel 3.3ghz processor, no problems at all. Still using his methods, and I had been in contact with him on SimForums and he has always taken on the challenge of helping others and since he is directly involved with GEX he is a wealth of information and help with the way all the "X's work together. Strongly urge folks to try his methods. One thing to bear in mind, you have to follow ALL his suggestions, you cannot just pick out a few to do, the instructions are clear and concise. If you follow the instructions to the letter, you should see a definite improvement. He is one of the most informed individuals I have ever dealt with.

Flork
January 18th, 2009, 08:42
I too can vouch that doing Nick's tune up will really help FSX run better. The first time I did it everything was faster for a few months, then I suddenly started getting Out of Memory errors. Admittedly I was not using O&O Defrag (because I'm cheap), but IOBit's Smart Defrag.

About a year ago I wiped the hard drive and did the tune-up again, never have had a problem since. AND, the dreaded "lock-up when the menu is selected in flight" bug disappeared! I still use SmartDefrag BTW....

I now fly in the hallowed "DON"T TOUCH A THING" zone, if only I can keep my hands off of things:)

Ark
January 18th, 2009, 09:11
So these drivers are supposed to fix things up stutter wise in FSX in DX9 mode? I followed Nick's guidlines except for the drivers ad O&) Defrag (I used Diskeeper Pro), so these might be the key.

DX10 runs GREAT, but DX9 runs like a fat chick in a marathon with a McDonalds located every 15 ft.

txnetcop
January 18th, 2009, 09:19
I have been using Nicks' methods since they came out. It was the first time I had been able to really use fsx on my old machine, and amd 4800x2 and msi board to get some use out of it. When I purchased Lionheart's Epic LT the frame rates fell dramatically, but now that I am on an Intel 3.3ghz processor, no problems at all. Still using his methods, and I had been in contact with him on SimForums and he has always taken on the challenge of helping others and since he is directly involved with GEX he is a wealth of information and help with the way all the "X's work together. Strongly urge folks to try his methods. One thing to bear in mind, you have to follow ALL his suggestions, you cannot just pick out a few to do, the instructions are clear and concise. If you follow the instructions to the letter, you should see a definite improvement. He is one of the most informed individuals I have ever dealt with.

Ditto been using Nick's guides since they came out. I even posted them once but they went missing in the crash we had at the Outhouse. I have never had to contend with stutters with my AMD HD4870 or 4850. The guy is THE FSX GURU as far as I'm concerned. Of course it helps to build a fast system with the right component parts-which he also mentions.
Ted

Bjoern
January 18th, 2009, 09:19
DX10 runs GREAT, but DX9 runs like a fat chick in a marathon with a McDonalds located every 15 ft.

:costumes:

dharris
January 18th, 2009, 12:04
I too can vouch that doing Nick's tune up will really help FSX run better. The first time I did it everything was faster for a few months, then I suddenly started getting Out of Memory errors. Admittedly I was not using O&O Defrag (because I'm cheap), but IOBit's Smart Defrag.

About a year ago I wiped the hard drive and did the tune-up again, never have had a problem since. AND, the dreaded "lock-up when the menu is selected in flight" bug disappeared! I still use SmartDefrag BTW....

I now fly in the hallowed "DON"T TOUCH A THING" zone, if only I can keep my hands off of things:)

Congrats, I am finally to the "DON"T TOUCH A THING" zone acutally it is my wife that always tells me that, but either way it works!

Warrant
January 18th, 2009, 12:52
Gonna try this, but i'm a bit nervous regarding my system. 2 8800GT's in SLI and a thriplehead2Go digital. Keep my fingers crossed.

Nice H/U BTW:wavey:

Ark
January 18th, 2009, 19:49
The drivers did not seem to get rid of the stutters on my system.

hey_moe
January 18th, 2009, 19:51
Did you do everything that was suggested or just install the video drivers.
The drivers did not seem to get rid of the stutters on my system.

guzler
January 19th, 2009, 08:47
I have installed the new driver and followed the cfg tweeks and pleased. I have the hong kong scenery from Fly Tampa which was really stuttery, but had a play last night and its amazing, really smooth.

Moses03
January 19th, 2009, 08:53
This Nhancer sounds interesting. Just wish there was an equivalent for us ATI folks.

Moses

Panther_99FS
January 19th, 2009, 09:17
Have you tried the ATI Omega drivers?

This Nhancer sounds interesting. Just wish there was an equivalent for us ATI folks.

Moses

Moses03
January 19th, 2009, 09:45
Hmm...don't think I have tried those before. Always updated the Catalyst drivers. Thanks, will have a look.

Flork
January 19th, 2009, 11:49
Warrant,

I have two NVIDIA cards in SLI and a digital TH2Go. No problems. I don't remember what the tune-up says about drivers, I'll check what version I'm using and post. I know it's not the newest set though, 175.16 comes to mind.

Bjoern
January 19th, 2009, 15:43

ATI Tray Tools is your way to go.

Quixoticish
January 20th, 2009, 00:16
Some of those tips sound good but one that did catch my eye was the /3GB/Userva=2560 switch added to the boot.ini. This only really makes any difference for Microsoft Exchange servers and a few other specific applications.

Also bear in mind if you play any other games apart from Flight Simulator you more than likely will notice performance hiccups, slow texture loading and lots of hard disk thrashing with /3GB/Userva=2560 added to the boot.ini.

Bjoern
January 20th, 2009, 05:04
This only really makes any difference for Microsoft Exchange servers and a few other specific applications.

...like FSX.

I've been using that tweak for ages and it nevereverever gave me any trouble in other games, both old and new ones.

NickN
April 2nd, 2009, 20:29
Some of those tips sound good but one that did catch my eye was the /3GB/Userva=2560 switch added to the boot.ini. This only really makes any difference for Microsoft Exchange servers and a few other specific applications.

Also bear in mind if you play any other games apart from Flight Simulator you more than likely will notice performance hiccups, slow texture loading and lots of hard disk thrashing with /3GB/Userva=2560 added to the boot.ini.

You may wish to take a refresher course on how Windows x32 (all versons) VM works

The edit is only needed if the system is 32bit, the system displays OOM issues and/or FSX SP2 is in use with (or without) >2GB of memory although the value reserved in the USERVA line has absolutely nothing to do with physical memory.. at all

Those who use 2GB or less and who do not see any OOM issues but who use larger video memory video cards may also see value in using the edit assuming they are in fact using FSX SP2, or, they have manually edited the FSX.exe file to use the LARGEADDRESSWARE flag in its header.

The edit has noting to do with frames or perf in that sense however it can remove issues that may cause different problems in high memory use situations, stutters for example.

Anyway, your assement pertaining to exchange server as exclusive is completely incorrect and if you need more information I suggest you may wish to consult MSDN and/or Phil Taylors own blog which will explain it to you in detail. There is a method to add the line to the boot.ini file which allows the user to select if they wish to boot with or without the switch enabled which is how the issue of 'other applications' is rendered null.

guzler
April 3rd, 2009, 03:34
I think I tried this one over Christmas which screwed my computer up. It stopped Powerpoint from working and had lots of funny going's on, so I reverted back to the latest NVidia driver and been fine since.

txnetcop
April 3rd, 2009, 04:25
Hey it is Nick...welcome to the Outhouse sir:woot:
Ted

harleyman
April 3rd, 2009, 04:34
Ted

YUP...It was nice to see him here...he has helped many with his tips and knowledge of systems and FSX...

FLighT01
April 3rd, 2009, 05:32
Originally Posted by txnetcop http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/soh/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=151256#post151256)
Ted

YUP...It was nice to see him here...he has helped many with his tips and knowledge of systems and FSX...

Ditto, my FSX / Accel install not only screams on both my new Vista64 and XP3 rigs with his help but I also learned more about computers and how they operate in general, it doesn't get any better than that.

Bjoern
April 3rd, 2009, 08:34
Hey Nick! :wavey:

NickN
April 3rd, 2009, 10:04
Thanks for the hello's :ernae:

Marlin
April 3rd, 2009, 17:28
Ah, check it out. Nick is here.

You know, I got kick off another board for defending you. Hahahaha
Ahhhh yes.

Good to see you HERE!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Dimus
April 6th, 2009, 07:03
It's good to have you here Nick. I for once have been helped immensly from your tuning tips at Simforums and I've been following your previews of GEX Europe there with great interest. I wish to thank you here as well for taking the time to look into the issue of the limit MS put between Europe and Asia in the Aegean Sea that affects how the eastern Aegean Islands and west coast of Turkey look.

Looking forward to the release of GEX Europe! For those who have not seen previews it's all here and looks amazing:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=26352&PN=1

Make sure you go also to the last page and check the alpine rock textures.:faint:

TeaSea
April 12th, 2009, 09:45
Silly question I know, but how would I recognize an Out of Memory Error on the card?

After updating my drives, downloading Enhancer, and configuring IAW with NickN's guidance, I do seem to see enhanced performance. It also appears that the 3D detailing is improved, although that could be wishful thinking on my part.

However, when switching view the screen throws up a texture and locks on it for a moment (usually a gridded pattern repeating the texture).

This seems to be a likely problem with memory, but before I proceed to attempt adjustment, I'd like someone else's opinion.

Donkey
April 12th, 2009, 18:35
Installed nHancer and applied most of his settings. Some a little lower than his since his card is an 8800 and mine only a 6800. :)

Thanks for sharing that info!! :ernae:

RyanJames170
April 12th, 2009, 19:58
looks intresting might give it an try when i get my new monitor here soon

Donkey
April 13th, 2009, 21:11
Oh.....my.....gawd!!! Thanks so much for this. As mentioned 2 posts up I followed your instructions, Nick, and MAN does that help!!! I wish I would have found this sooner. My FSX runs so much smoother! :)

Thanks a bunch!! :ernae:

jhefner
April 15th, 2009, 08:31
Have you tried the ATI Omega drivers?

Many, many thanks for point these out. I installed them last night, and textures look much sharper, and getting better framerates as well.

-James

Coola
April 22nd, 2009, 03:50
Stutters seem to have disappeared

Thanks Moe

Greetings
coola :ernae: