PDA

View Full Version : Life Imitating Art

grandguy
October 5th, 2008, 11:17
Some people have asked me, "What was it REALLY like?" (to fly bombers during WW2). Oddly enough it was much like playing a video game, long before simulations for everyone had been thought of. I can only speak personally of the gunners but with exception of the Navigator, and to some extent the Bomb Aimer, many missions were just waiting for something to happen. Not necessarily hoping or dreading, but just waiting. Most crews and individuals stayed alert and watchful but others didn't. I read one book in which the Tail Gunner, on the wayhome, used to get out of his turret and lie down for a snooze, and the rest of the crew behaved in a similar manner. Some of the individuals used to take off their oxygen masks and have a smoke. Discipline varied greatly from crew to crew, some told jokes back and forth on the intercom while most listened to music. Just as most players of this and other simulators are not concerned very deeply about their actions, many if not most of the individuals did their job and thought little about it. Even under possible attack there was concern in most cases but not out and out fear. Training came to the fore in emergencies. From my own experiences conversations with others and reading many accounts of attacks, it would appear that the crew members kept on trying to do the right thing, right to the end. The job was to evade attacks from flak and attacking fighters and get the bombs dropped on the target. I would say that it had more of the components of game playing rather than reality. If we bailed out, it was our job to try to evade the enemy and if captured to give them as little information as possible. When captured we expected someone to say something in effect like, "Komerade, for you the war is over," we would then be interrogated and meet up with old buddies or other crew members.
In a small German town they recently dedicated a plaque or cairn to seven allied airmen who had bailed out. They were captured by local troops and marched through the town. They were set upon by an angry mob of villagers whose homes were in ruins and their family members were dead or horribly injured. Five of the airmen were beaten to death and the other two were shot. That was realism in a wartime video game.

ronnybengt
October 5th, 2008, 11:38
:ernae:....so glad u share this ...thank you sir...ahoy

R

darkrevan
October 5th, 2008, 13:20
truly well written. i most especially love how our friend ends his letter.

- glad to see that you're still around sir, best wishes to you and to your family!

O-1Driver
October 5th, 2008, 13:49
grandguy,

I always enjoy your posts.

O-1 Driver

Pat Pattle
October 5th, 2008, 22:44
Thankyou Grandguy, very interesting (and sobering) reading.

Clive :)

pachi
October 6th, 2008, 16:48
Thanks for the share grandguy

grandguy
December 11th, 2008, 07:12
I am Grandguy's son-in-law and have some sad news.
Grandguy passed away in hospital Nov 25. He had been ill for some time.
Bruce

O-1Driver
December 11th, 2008, 07:26
Bruce,

I am very sorry to hear this sad news but thank you so much for letting us know. We will miss Grandguy greatly, and above all let me expresss to you and your family my condolences. I would also like to to let you know how much I appreciate what Grandguy did for all us who live in freedom today. He was indeed a man of full measure.

Best Personal regards

Steve Dunn
O-1 Driver

20MikeMike
December 11th, 2008, 07:26
Please accept my heart felt condolences for you and your family

Frosty
December 11th, 2008, 07:37
Bruce,

I just read the end of this thread and I am very sorry to read that Grandguy is no longer with us! He was one of the few -if not the only one- on this forum that actually took part in the great conflict that we try to 'recreate' (for lack of better words). I 'll miss him and his input and I wish you and your loved ones all the best in dealing with this loss.

Frosty

Gandi
December 11th, 2008, 07:40
My heartfelt condolences to you and your family Bruce.

As Steve has said this place will be emptier without him and his wonderful memoirs.

Kindest regards

Gandi

loverboy1
December 11th, 2008, 07:45
thank you , did you ever hit lights those searchlights and if so what was the effects ..and how accurate are they for seeking out bombers etc...

thanks

loverboy1

BeauBrummie
December 11th, 2008, 08:39
This is sad news indeed. I really enjoyed his threads and his willingness to share his experiences with a bunch of virtual friends was a very generous act. God bless you Grandguy,.

Beau

loverboy1
December 11th, 2008, 08:45
opps , didnt realize was from past written ....sorry ,

wolfger
December 11th, 2008, 09:24
Also my condolences ... IŽll miss Grandguy, because it was always worth to read his respectfull treads, discussions and honest opinions. So let me too honour him from across the canal. May he rest in peace.
yours sincerely wolfger

ronnybengt
December 11th, 2008, 11:09
sad news indeed...may he now fly again over there...
as has already been written ...hi contributions here was very exciting...an honuor to have seen his stuff here

R

Murray Cod
December 11th, 2008, 11:17
condolensces to you and your family Bruce. a sad day indeed with the passing of another person who contributed to the freedoms we enjoy today. hopefully you have lots of wonderful memories to remember him by.

regards
Murray.

Pat Pattle
December 11th, 2008, 12:36
Bruce, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. It was always wonderful to read of his experiences and it was a privilege to have him on the forum with us, we will miss him very much.

My condolences and thoughts to you and your family.

Here's to you Grandguy, and thankyou.

Squiffy
December 11th, 2008, 12:50
My condolences as well. Send 'im off proper mates. Plenty of petrol, max altitude, contrails streaming!

:engel016: :friday:

corpse grinder
December 11th, 2008, 13:38
I am so sorry to hear this news. I have no words. I am deeply saddened. I have had very much contact with "grandguy" while building "his" mission and through his increadibly gracious offer to put me in for OFF Phase 3. I am honored to have been able to be a part of an increadible individuals life be it only virtual.

I will miss him dearly, as will many of the other members of our forums. He was a living treasure and a truely wonderful and generous man in which whom I had never even met.

My families thoughts and prayers will be with him and his family.

God speed my friend.

Justin:frown:

Kofschip
December 11th, 2008, 16:44
Bruce, my condolances to you and your family with the passing of Grandguy. I was in Holland during WW II and it is due to guys like him that I am here today as a free man.

God Bless You Grandguy

gaw
December 11th, 2008, 17:02
gg...thank you for your service. best...gaw

cristiano103
December 11th, 2008, 21:38
I always enjoy the memories of the Old Guys, they speak of another world we haven't know, being it a world of normal life or of big events like the ones GrandGuy has passed through.
It is very sad to loose those people, all those people, as they have always something to teach us and GrandGuy was surely one that had so many thing to share.
My condolences to his Family and may He can fly again in an endless sky.
Cristiano "Astore"

ndicki
December 11th, 2008, 22:06
My heartfelt condolences. Another goes to where his friends have already been, and are waiting. He will not be alone.

I wonder if he's met my father yet. They'll have a lot to talk about.

hairyspin
December 11th, 2008, 22:27
My thoughts are with Grandguy's family, he'll be missed here too.

"and there is no discharge in that war" Ecclesiastes 8:8

gwar
December 12th, 2008, 03:16
:frown:
~S~
Ive been here a week maybe, and this is 2, this has gotta stop

FireStorm II
December 12th, 2008, 11:16
Our condolences to you and your family.

This forum is a richer place, thanks to GrandGuy, as
he was well loved here. Godspeed.

blacksheep-ghost03
December 12th, 2008, 11:46
after losing another soh member dec 3, was sorry to hear of another. My condolences
for the family.

Nausicaa
December 12th, 2008, 12:20
My heartfelt condolences to his family. I enjoyed reading his posts very much. As a German I would like to thank him for his service, and his contribution in liberating us from a terrible dark time. Thank you.
S!

mongoose
December 12th, 2008, 14:46
It is always sad to loose someone who had real experiences of the war and remind us that a sim is nowhere near real life where real people lost their lives and if not, had life changing experiences. It is due to them that many of us are lucky, to "simulate' in a painless way, what for others caused great pain and suffering. This is something we all should remember when we 'play' war.
My sympathies to all to Gg's family but you also are lucky to have had such a family member.

polecat0942
December 12th, 2008, 20:45
I am deeply saddened to hear of grandguy's passing. God bless him and your family, Bruce. And wherever you may be grandguy, thank you for what you did for all of us and thank you for what you've shared with us. My condolences to all that you have left behind.

God Bless,

John

Capt. Winters
December 13th, 2008, 16:36
Hi Bruce,

Please except my heartfelt condolences, for you and your family on the passing of this truely GrandGuy, I really enjoyed reading what he had to say and the insight into what it was like for so many so long ago. as others above have said, he will be missed around here.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young. Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow. They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted, They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.

God bless,

regards Rob.

Firebar
December 14th, 2008, 00:24
Just popping back to the forum and saw this, what a shock on a Sunday morning. Grandguy will be, I am sure, greatly missed by us all - even those of us who didn't know him well.

We can only be thankful for what he gave us, and remember him when we fly in a sim dedicated to his war.

Clear Skies

Matt

Wildfowler
December 14th, 2008, 00:36
Grandguy will be greatly missed.

God bless.

nio
December 14th, 2008, 04:43
Indeed he will.

I am most sorry to hear of his passing.

Nick(nio)