PDA

View Full Version : Flight Replicas 50% Sale

mike_cyul
November 30th, 2013, 10:24
Like the title says! Just a little heads up in case anyone wasn't aware. http://secure.simmarket.com/flight-replicas.mhtml

:)

Mike

papab
November 30th, 2013, 10:45
Thanks Mike!

Rick

rgatkinson
November 30th, 2013, 13:50
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. At this price I think I may add the Me262 rare types package to the A and B models I already have. Can you remind what impact, if any, the special version upgrade you recently released has on the rare types package.

Cheers,

Taff

mike_cyul
November 30th, 2013, 15:21
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. At this price I think I may add the Me262 rare types package to the A and B models I already have. Can you remind what impact, if any, the special version upgrade you recently released has on the rare types package.

Cheers,

Taff

Essentially, if you know your way around aircraft.cfg's and know how to replace the .air file, and can modify the panel.cfg, you can easily modify the old air files to use the upgraded aerodynamics. This involves replacing the .air file in the Rare Types packages, changing the sim= in the [fltsim.X] entries to match, and then carefully replacing the engine parameters in the old aircraft.cfg with those in the new. After that it's on to adding any new gauges you find in the new panel.cfg to the old Rare Types panel.cfg.

The only area where some experimentation is required is in the aircraft weight entries, as Bernt crafted the new airfiles for a standard Me-262a, and the new airfiles don't always react well with higher weights (eg. the two seater night fighter). However, if the weight is just changed in the old aircraft.cfg to that of the new airfiles, it's a bit of a cheat but this eliminates any issues.

Mike

ColoKent
November 30th, 2013, 15:33
Mike,

Just by coincidence, I happened to reload your BF-109K (2012 version), and had forgotten how well done it was. I'd love to buy your -G, but it is 2007 vintage. Seems a lot of improvement has happened between 2007 and 2012. Does the -G fly as faithfully as the 2012 -K, and is the detail similar?

Kent

mike_cyul
November 30th, 2013, 16:36
Mike,

Just by coincidence, I happened to reload your BF-109K (2012 version), and had forgotten how well done it was. I'd love to buy your -G, but it is 2007 vintage. Seems a lot of improvement has happened between 2007 and 2012. Does the -G fly as faithfully as the 2012 -K, and is the detail similar?

Kent

The G is actually a FS2004 model, that can be ported over to FSX, but with the usual issues, and in fact is not recommended for use in FSX with SP2 or Acceleration (see here (http://www.flight-replicas.com/FS9-to-FSX_inst.htm)). The K is a completely different animal in every respect, and for FSXA only.

Mike

ColoKent
November 30th, 2013, 16:47
Mike-- well, you just earned your customer service stripes today-- thanks...I am running FSX Acceleration, so I'll pass on the -G....rest assured I'll end up getting another of your creations!

Thanks,

Kent

Daube
December 1st, 2013, 01:28
Boomerang inbound for landing.
Thanks for the notification :)

Anneke
December 1st, 2013, 06:38
Which Me do I need to buy to get the upgraded airfiles?

mike_cyul
December 1st, 2013, 08:08
Which Me do I need to buy to get the upgraded airfiles?

That would be the Me-262 Special Edition, but which isn't available for purchase yet (coming soon!). It was available for one month free to previous purchasers of any Flight Replicas Me-262 packages, but the offer has unfortunately expired (sorry). However, when it comes out it will be at a very reasonable price, as it's fundamentally a re-work of an older (2008) model and not completely up to the latest standards, although the VC model and textures have been revised. We thought that as users will have some truly exceptional aerodynamics to fly with, a somewhat upgraded model would make the experience more enjoyable, too. It's by luck that the older 262 air files can be modified.

The Special Edition is actually ready to go, I just haven't had any time to get to get it onto the website!

Mike

rgatkinson
December 1st, 2013, 14:31
Essentially, if you know your way around aircraft.cfg's and know how to replace the .air file, and can modify the panel.cfg, you can easily modify the old air files to use the upgraded aerodynamics. This involves replacing the .air file in the Rare Types packages, changing the sim= in the [fltsim.X] entries to match, and then carefully replacing the engine parameters in the old aircraft.cfg with those in the new. After that it's on to adding any new gauges you find in the new panel.cfg to the old Rare Types panel.cfg.

The only area where some experimentation is required is in the aircraft weight entries, as Bernt crafted the new airfiles for a standard Me-262a, and the new airfiles don't always react well with higher weights (eg. the two seater night fighter). However, if the weight is just changed in the old aircraft.cfg to that of the new airfiles, it's a bit of a cheat but this eliminates any issues.

Mike

Thanks Mike, rare types purchased. Will experiment with air/configuration files and weights etc in due course. :-)

Taff

ColoKent
December 1st, 2013, 16:38
Mike,

Do you have any plans to update the -Gs and -Fs into FSX-native format anytime soon? If not, do the difficulties with the current -G and -F go beyond the propeller transparency issues?

Kent

**EDIT** I bought the -G package...not too bad in FSX!!! There are a few minor things, as well as the VC not being as functional as the K-4s...but NOT BAD at all....still it would be great to see you update this package!

skyhawka4m
December 1st, 2013, 18:30
i'd love to see the F and G versions for FSX myself

PHo17
December 1st, 2013, 22:25
i'd love to see the F and G versions for FSX myself

Me too. There is mentioned in the requirements that the present FS2004 version of 109G won't even work in FSX Acceleration (I have).

mike_cyul
December 2nd, 2013, 03:08
The Bf-109G is actually in the works and some development work completed, but is a little down the list right now. First the Me-163B needs to be finished, the Me-262 Special Edition released, there's another project in the works that I can't mention presently (but I can say it has four engines), plus eventually the Curtiss P-40E and F Warhawk models. So the factory is busy. :)

Mike

huub vink
December 2nd, 2013, 08:25
It is good to hear you still have a lot of plans. For me the Gustav is really something to look forward to.

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
December 2nd, 2013, 08:51
Four engines? Now you've got me curious Mike! I don't think it will be a big WW2 bomber, but how about a new Arado Ar-234? That would fit in nicely with the Me-262, and I haven't seen one of those since the WoP pack. (And that one had two engines.).

Looking forward to the 163, 109 Gustav and P-40's too! :victorious:

JimH
December 2nd, 2013, 09:15
When I first tried out Flight Replica's Me109K I was surprised at how difficult it was to handle on the ground, even though I had already read descriptions of the problems with the plane encountered during WWII. Where I was really surprised was upon liftoff, with the sloppiness of the plane in yaw.

Later I read a report by a pilot who recently flew a real Me109 for the first time. He said that based on his experience you should just try to keep the 109 going in the general direction you want down the runway (in other words, hope that you can keep it on the runway) - don't expect, or try, to keep it on the centerline. He also commented that he was disappointed with the plane's handling in the air due to its very poor yaw stability.

So, it sounds like the handling of Flight Replica's Me109K is quite accurate. Good job. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon14.png

mike_cyul
December 2nd, 2013, 09:46
The Me-262 also suffered from directional instability in yaw, and so perhaps this was a Messerschmitt 'specialty' - although I don't know enough about the handing of other Messerschmitt WWII aircraft to know if this was actually widespread. Perhaps Messerchmitt designed aircraft to be more-or-less perfect right at combat speed and weight, and then just added enough extra wing, flap etc. to enable a pilot to take off and get to the target and then back to earth...but it was enough of a problem that a taller tail was added to later models, although I understand this didn't really change the behaviour.

And nope, the four-engine isn't military, although the military did like it. :)

Mike

FentiFlier1
December 2nd, 2013, 10:41
The Bf-109G is actually in the works and some development work completed, but is a little down the list right now. First the Me-163B needs to be finished, the Me-262 Special Edition released, there's another project in the works that I can't mention presently (but I can say it has four engines), plus eventually the Curtiss P-40E and F Warhawk models. So the factory is busy. :)

Mike

Sounds good! :beguiled:

ColoKent
December 2nd, 2013, 15:13
Hmmmm....sounds like an L-188 Electra to me...

K

huub vink
December 3rd, 2013, 13:34
Four engines is just too much for me :D I stick to one single engine.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/SCR_P40_120SQ_a7_zps7c1775c3.jpg~original (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Huub_Vink/media/SCR_P40_120SQ_a7_zps7c1775c3.jpg.html)

T6flyer
December 3rd, 2013, 13:38
The P-40 in real life has never really interested me (more of a Harvard or Mustang chap), but having all of the Flight Replicas' Cubs and the Boomerang, I knew I would not be disappointed by this model!!! Not had the chance to take her to the virtual skies yet, but looking forward to it.

Thank you,

Martin

huub vink
December 4th, 2013, 04:06
Martin, the P-40 is a real workhorse which served at all theaters of war during WWII. Perhaps not very sophisticated, but it served its purpose as a workhorse should.
Te pilots from 120 squadron were very disappointed when they were equipped with, in their eyes obsolete, the P-40. So they more or less shared your sentiments. They were actually trained to fly twin engined aircraft and promised the P-38.

But I can assure you that Mike's version of the P-40N won't disappoint you and you will be able to get the livery shown above for free!

Cheers,
Huub

BTW when you love the Harvard (as your userid already indicates) you should try the Boomerang, which is of course the Australian fighter version from the Texan/Havard/Wirraway. I can imagine the original pilots had their thoughts about this funny looking aircraft, but learning to deal with its shortcomings is actually really fun. Especially when you can only ruin your virtual engine and you can only drop out of the virtual sky.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_c.jpg~original (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Huub_Vink/media/Boomerang_c.jpg.html)

T6flyer
December 4th, 2013, 14:15
BTW when you love the Harvard (as your userid already indicates) you should try the Boomerang, which is of course the Australian fighter version from the Texan/Havard/Wirraway. I can imagine the original pilots had their thoughts about this funny looking aircraft, but learning to deal with its shortcomings is actually really fun. Especially when you can only ruin your virtual engine and you can only drop out of the virtual sky.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Boomerang_c.jpg~original (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Huub_Vink/media/Boomerang_c.jpg.html)

The Boomerang was indeed my first purchase from Flight Replicas and is often to be found at the front of my virtual hangar. Have always since a little lad been interested in anything T-6 related and used to research Harvard histories for owners, had a column in a T-6 magazine, devised colour schemes for European owners and flown in 10 different members of the family including the ultra rare SNJ-7C.

Best wishes,

Martin

Francis7769
December 5th, 2013, 01:52
Just ordered the P-40N complete package.;)