PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Modem Question

TARPSBird
November 28th, 2013, 21:46
Allow me to ask for assistance at a bit higher level of computer "geekery" than I am qualified for. I want to buy a laptop to use around the house in locations other than my "man cave" where my desktop rig is set up. My present cable modem is an older Linksys CM100 which is DOCSIS 1.0, and Cox Cable keeps suggesting to me that I get an updated DOCSIS 3.0 modem so I'd be getting a new modem soon anyway. My question is... If I get a wireless modem to allow me to use the laptop and it is equipped with Ethernet ports to allow me to connect my desktop PC, is the wireless modem the only interface I need between Cox's incoming RF coax and my PC? And what specs do I have to match up to ensure the laptop works with the wireless modem?

Chris Sykes
November 28th, 2013, 23:42
Most routers/modems have ethernet ports (Normally4x) aswell as the wireless connection. The current UK standard is wireless N (300mbps) however there is a newer AC version that looks to go upto 900mbps. However if your recieving this from your ISP it will likely be the 300N (Or even less) version and likely hood also it will have 100base LAN connection.

Most modern laptops now come with Wireless N but its best to check before purchase

AussieMan
November 28th, 2013, 23:43
In one word ...... yes. I have a NETComm wireless modem and my laptop has built in wireless and I can use it anywhere in my hose with good speed also.

EDIT: Chris you posted as I was writing :).

TARPSBird
November 29th, 2013, 00:24
Chris & Pat, thanks for your replies. Well, I went browsing around on Newegg.com and they are offering a "Black Friday" (day after Thanksgiving) special deal on this modem (see first link) which has good customer reviews and a free wireless router (see second link)...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825390001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127550

Considering that Cox Cable's "preferred" Cisco cable/wireless modem is around $130, I would say the above package is a pretty good deal. Any comments are much appreciated. Haven't decided on what laptop to get yet.

Chris Sykes
November 29th, 2013, 04:59
Looks OK, cannot comment on D-link as i havent used their products before...

Canelo
November 29th, 2013, 05:30
The Cable modem connects to the internet with the coax from Cable, then a network (lan) cable connects either into your desktop pc or a wireless router. If your Cable modem has wireless you don't need the router. If your laptop is running XP or greater and has wireless internet it's just a matter of logging on. I do recommend that your desktop is connected with a Ethernet cable.

With having all the family at my house for the holiday there are 3 wireless devices and one Ethernet device all connected and the internet works great. I use a Satellite modem, a Belkin router located towards the center of my house and get coverage everywhere, even in my guest house.

Make sure you password protect your wireless internet so people around you can't use it. Looking at available connects I see two other wireless connects from homes close to me and if they weren't password protected I could log in to them.

To increase range use an extender: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N300-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B004YAYM06/ref=sr_1_2/190-9808064-2463700?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385735762&sr=1-2&keywords=wireless+router+extenders

TARPSBird
November 29th, 2013, 12:16
Thank you Chris, Pat & CK. Based on your comments and my son's input I went ahead and ordered the modem and free router deal from Newegg. :)