PDA

View Full Version : Message for Don and/or Sylvain re RFN TACAN gauges

expat
November 27th, 2013, 06:25
This is one of those "would it be possible" questions. Having lots of fun with these gauges that point you to a moving AI carrier (using Lamont Clark and DWSO tracks). Don, I see you linked Sylvains' functionality into your own RMI/DME and other gauges (see thread below at or around post #108). Question: is this ACLS "link" just visual across the various panel gauges, OR, is there a way to actually couple the TACAN Nav frequency pointing to a locked on carrier to steer the aircraft using the AP to the (moving) carrier? Something tells me no (never heard of it) BUT you guys seem to have got so close, that it might just be possible?

Cheers and enjoying hugely your work! :guinness:

expat

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?76656-Alpha-F-8-Crusader-improvements/page20

fsafranek
November 27th, 2013, 08:56
Question: is this ACLS "link" just visual across the various panel gauges, OR, is there a way to actually couple the TACAN Nav frequency pointing to a locked on carrier to steer the aircraft using the AP to the (moving) carrier?
Interesting question. Haven't tried that. The Entendard IVM/P had the gauge integrated into the panel so it may have had that capability. I'm sure Sylvain will be around but in the meantime I'll email him and Michel Panattoni to stop by. I help tune the English translations of their manuals but don't recall that being discussed.
:ernaehrung004:

expat
November 27th, 2013, 09:10
Frank,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the assist. Even if it doesn't do this all of you have come up with some seriously sophisticated avionics for we virtual naval aviators. Endless smiles per mile with it! Was reading your manual today and it is impressively thorough and has all sorts of little extras that are there only from a labor of love, seeing this is freeware.

Regards,

expat

fsafranek
November 27th, 2013, 13:12
I got a response from Sylvain. He said, "The answer is no: so far the RFN gauge is build like a homing and ILS instrument but it doesn't bring any ACLS-like feature."

Maybe down the road?
:ernaehrung004:

expat
November 27th, 2013, 13:44
Thanks Frank. I am not that surprised as we all know you can hook an AP to fly "direct to" a fixed point, e.g. an airport, but not something moving. We would have seen that by now if it were possible.

fsafranek
November 27th, 2013, 14:05
Thanks Frank. I am not that surprised as we all know you can hook an AP to fly "direct to" a fixed point, e.g. an airport, but not something moving. We would have seen that by now if it were possible.

The development community of FS can come up with some pretty creative solutions so maybe we will see something down the road.