PDA

View Full Version : Autopilot Key Command Question

LTCSZ
January 17th, 2009, 14:00
OK, another Senior Moment, but here goes...I have searched all the key command lists I can find and here is my dilemma...I know that "Z" is the master that turns the autopilot on and off; "Ctrl Z" will establish me at the altitude I am at when I press the keys (Altitude Hold)...So far, so good...Now; If I have my autopilot set for, say, 10,000 feet at takeoff, what is the key command to turn on the AP function that will take the plane to 10,000 feet and level off? I know I can mouse click on the actual autopilot "Alt" button, but I am trying to program some macros into my new G15 keyboard...Hope the question is clear and thanks for the help...Now it's time for my medication...

Steve in Kansas

Lionheart
January 17th, 2009, 15:05
Hey Steve,

Man, you sound like me, but if you are going to live to see 90, then I am afraid you are only half way there, lol..

:ernae:

I dont know of a way to do a quick program on selecting a set altitude without dialing it in.

However, with FSX, there are a gazillion new key entries you can program (activate) into your keyboard and joystick.

I would look for a AP Altitude adjustment command, so you could program that in, then just 'tap tap tap' until the Alt selector window registers 10,000'.

If though they do not have a Alt selection set of commands (ascent, descent), then I am afraid you'll have to mouse that in.

Bill

LTCSZ
January 18th, 2009, 07:36
Thanks for the good idea...I am going to do some testing and see what I can come up with...I may just have to live with the mouse a while longer...If this "touch screen" stuff develops, maybe that will be the answer...Oh, by the way; I'm two thirds of the way to 90!

Steve

rcbarend
January 18th, 2009, 08:32
OK, another Senior Moment, but here goes...I have searched all the key command lists I can find and here is my dilemma...I know that "Z" is the master that turns the autopilot on and off; "Ctrl Z" will establish me at the altitude I am at when I press the keys (Altitude Hold)...So far, so good...Now; If I have my autopilot set for, say, 10,000 feet at takeoff, what is the key command to turn on the AP function that will take the plane to 10,000 feet and level off? I know I can mouse click on the actual autopilot "Alt" button, but I am trying to program some macros into my new G15 keyboard...Hope the question is clear and thanks for the help...Now it's time for my medication...

Steve in Kansas
Hi Steve,

The command you are looking for is called: AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_HOLD.

Unfortunately you cannot assign this via the FS menu, but you can add a key/button assignment by manually editting the FSX controls file (which contains all your keys/controller assignments).
By default, this is file:
..\Documents and Settings\"your Windows name"\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Default.xml.
You can edit this file simply with Notepad (make a backup first !)

If you search this file, you see (default) a section:
<ENTRY>
<KEY>(Entry)
(Key)CTRL+Z(/Key)
(Down)AP_ALT_HOLD(/Down)
(/Entry)

Note: the "(" and ")" sign actually is the "smaller then" resp "greater then" sign

After replacing AP_ALT_HOLD with AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_HOLD, the Cntr-Z will now activate "Selected Altitude Hold" ; i.e. the value you dialled into the AP Alt Selector.

Alternatively, you can add a simular "entry", using a free keystroke (make sure it's not defined yet in this file).

Cheers, Rob

LTCSZ
January 18th, 2009, 09:09
Wow...Thanks a lot...I am off to try this out...(After backing up the original file, of course!)...I guess this could also be done for other commands that are not assignable through normal FSX methods...Thanks again and I will report back soon!

Steve

cheezyflier
January 18th, 2009, 10:00
or, you could set your desired pitch and hold it with ctrl+T.
then when you reach your desired altitude, hit ctrl+Z.

LTCSZ
January 18th, 2009, 11:46
Rob: Another question; are you saying that I can add additional "new" entrys to the file instead of just editing existing ones? I have not had the time yet to try editing the file, but I will this evening...Thanks again,

Steve

Hi Steve,

The command you are looking for is called: AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_HOLD.

Unfortunately you cannot assign this via the FS menu, but you can add a key/button assignment by manually editting the FSX controls file (which contains all your keys/controller assignments).
By default, this is file:
..\Documents and Settings\"your Windows name"\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Default.xml.
You can edit this file simply with Notepad (make a backup first !)

If you search this file, you see (default) a section:
<entry>
<key>(Entry)
(Key)CTRL+Z(/Key)
(Down)AP_ALT_HOLD(/Down)
(/Entry)

Note: the "(" and ")" sign actually is the "smaller then" resp "greater then" sign

After replacing AP_ALT_HOLD with AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_HOLD, the Cntr-Z will now activate "Selected Altitude Hold" ; i.e. the value you dialled into the AP Alt Selector.

Alternatively, you can add a simular "entry", using a free keystroke (make sure it's not defined yet in this file).

Cheers, Rob

</key></entry>

rcbarend
January 18th, 2009, 12:21
Rob: Another question; are you saying that I can add additional "new" entrys to the file instead of just editing existing ones? Steve</KEY></ENTRY>

Yes.
Just copy/paste the four lines

(Entry)
(Key)CTRL+Z(/Key)
(Down)AP_ALT_HOLD(/Down)
(/Entry)

Note: the "(" and ")" sign actually is the "smaller then" resp "greater then" sign.

at that position and replace the key and event strings in the added section.

Rob

Note:
For FS9, I once did a full compare of all possible events in FS9 and the ones you could assign via the FS9 menu.
Not even counting toggle-type events (like ToggleLights vs. LightOn and LightOFF), there were about 25 functional command that you couldn't assign to a key/button via the menu.
For FSX this probably is a lot more .....

TIP: if you use FSUIPC: in that zip file, Pete included a file "FSX controls", which contains all events you can assign in the way I described.
And if you're using the registered version of FSUIPC: there's no need to do this manual edit of the Default.xml file; you can assign any of those events to key/button via assignments in FSUIPC.
The "only" thing you need to know: what the heck do all these events do exactly (like the difference between the 2 AltHold command described above). Most of them are in the FSX SDK, but their description sometimes is very unclear and ambiguous.
Like both these events are described as "Toggles altitude hold mode"; yes, they do, but one holds "current" altitude and sets the Alt Selector to the current altitude, while the other goes-to and holds a "pre-set" altitude. Quite a difference :-)

LTCSZ
January 18th, 2009, 13:50
Man, age is hell...I do have the registered version of FSUIPC...I installed it and then basically forgot about it...I got it primarily for joystick coordination...I just tried the edit you suggested through FSUIPC...Guess what? It works! This opens up a lot of possibilities for me...Really do appreciate your detailed answers to my questions...Now I have a lot of work to do! Thanks again,

Steve

rcbarend
January 18th, 2009, 15:26
I just tried the edit you suggested through FSUIPC...Guess what? It works! Steve
Of course it does ... LOL

Enjoy the "new" play-area .....

:ernae: Rob