PDA

View Full Version : GAS Boeing Model 40

WarHorse47
November 22nd, 2013, 15:43
I really love this aircraft in FS9, so I just got it for FSX. Unfortunately, I cannot start it from a cold start.

I've followed the standard startup procedure, but the engine doesn't turn over no matter what I do.

In order to start, I have to load another aircraft - startup - then switch back. I also discovered if I load another aircraft - startup - shutdown with Ctrl+F1, then switch back I can do a startup with the Model 40.

I'm perplexed as to what configuration I have with my standard cold start is affecting the Model 40. I have no problems with any other aircraft, and I cannot see any special gauge that might be interfering.

I be perplexed...:crushed:

Spad54
November 23rd, 2013, 04:58
I really love this aircraft in FS9, so I just got it for FSX. Unfortunately, I cannot start it from a cold start.

I've followed the standard startup procedure, but the engine doesn't turn over no matter what I do.

In order to start, I have to load another aircraft - startup - then switch back. I also discovered if I load another aircraft - startup - shutdown with Ctrl+F1, then switch back I can do a startup with the Model 40.

I'm perplexed as to what configuration I have with my standard cold start is affecting the Model 40. I have no problems with any other aircraft, and I cannot see any special gauge that might be interfering.

I be perplexed...:crushed:

If your default cold start flight has the fuel valve in the off position it may effect the model I would suggest starting the default Cessna switching to the B 40 and creating a cold start default flight for that model and saving it. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/65340-planes-wont-start/ I have never understood why some folks experience this problem and others do not. I suspect its individual settings.

WarHorse47
November 23rd, 2013, 06:34
No. I'm afraid it is much deeper than just the fuel control switch.

I tend to do things the hard way. Basically, I have set the various parameters in my default flight to =FALSE to shut everything off. The only entry I can find for the fuel pump is this one: FuelPumpSwitch=False. I changed that to =TRUE, and the Model 40 still does not start. The engine doesn't even attempt to turn over.

The next thing I did was to switch to another airplane which was the GAS Stearman. The Stearman starts with Ctrl-E and shuts down with Ctrl-Shft-F1. Then I switched back to the Model 40 and had no problems using the same commands for start and shutdown. I then saved my flight specific to the Model 40. I then closed and restarted FSX, and picked the new flight for the Model 40 and still no joy.

Bottom line is that the Model 40 will not perform a cold start unless I switch from another aircraft. The other option of course is to create a flight with the engine running.

n4gix
November 24th, 2013, 07:23
Try using Ctrl-Shift-F4 to open the fuel valves...

WarHorse47
November 24th, 2013, 07:57
Try using Ctrl-Shift-F4 to open the fuel valves...I did. No joy. I'm now using a saved flight with engine running.

glh
November 24th, 2013, 08:21
I did. No joy. I'm now using a saved flight with engine running.

There is fuel in the tank when you call up the aircraft, right ??

WarHorse47
November 24th, 2013, 09:22
Yep, tanks are full.

I should add that the engine does not even turn over.

With a cold start, I should be able to start with Ctrl+E. I can see the battery and starter switches flip and the clock is working, but nothing but silence.

Because of the difference in many addon a/c, my default flight also has the generator/alternator set off so I have a hot key to turn that on. Regardless, there is no response from the Model 40.

There has got to be some setting in my default flight that I am overlooking, or something in one of the gauges that is the cause. Perhaps something in the aircraft.cfg engine parameters?? Just typing out loud.

WarHorse47
November 29th, 2013, 18:17
Well, I'm getting really discouraged with this plane.

I recently purchased another payware aircraft that would not start unless I setup my default flight with the default Cessna. So now that my default flight has the default Cessna in a cold and dark mode, no problem.

Using the same default flight with the default Cessna, I still cannot start the Boeing Model 40 from a cold and dark mode. Ctrl-E does not work, and neither does the standard startup procedure. In fact if I even try the standard startup procedure, the motor does not even turn over. The start button does nothing except wave at me.

WarHorse47
November 30th, 2013, 08:27
Well, I decided to try one more time. After an hour of experimenting through process of elimination and comparing aircraft.cfg parameters with other aircraft, I found a solution.

The solution is to double the battery and generator amperage under the [electrical] section.

[electrical]
max_battery_voltage = 24 //12
generator_alternator_voltage = 28 //14

Now, why the original voltages do not work on my install is a mystery to me. If anyone knows the answer, feel free to let me know. :02.47-tranquillity:

Thanks

AussieMan
December 4th, 2013, 17:45
I have this aircraft and have no problems at all. I have not altered the cfg file and have no problems starting the aircraft from a cold start which is my default setting.

My start up [rocedure is as follows:

Battery on.
Mags to both.
Mixture to full rich.
Throttle to approx 10%.
Then hit the starter switch. Engine fires every time.

LouP
May 29th, 2018, 15:40
Anyone have this running in P3D v4?

LouP