PDA

View Full Version : heads up Windows 8.1

norab
November 2nd, 2013, 18:12
Microsoft says that P3D 1.4 is not compatible with Windows 8.1, don't know if P3D 2 will be, so I won't be updating windows anytime soon

Lionheart
November 2nd, 2013, 23:10
eeeks... Where did you hear this, Norab?

AussieMan
November 2nd, 2013, 23:17
FYI I am running Windows 8.1 and all I had to do was update my NVidia drivers. I did not even have to reinstall anything, just replace some icons in my Task Bar. Maybe you would be better off not listening to what people have to say or don't believe what you read. Will save a lot of stress.

graycat8524
November 15th, 2013, 10:07
FYI I am running Windows 8.1 and all I had to do was update my NVidia drivers. I did not even have to reinstall anything, just replace some icons in my Task Bar. Maybe you would be better off not listening to what people have to say or don't believe what you read. Will save a lot of stress.

Very well said AussieMan. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and had absolutely no issues with Prepar3d. I didn't even have to redo any P3d icons. Of course I have three extra archive hard disks on my PC and Prepar3d is installed on a separate E:\ partition (Disk 3).

Personally I think that Lockheed Martin will fully test out Prepar3d v2 with Windows 8.1 before release so I'm not worried about that.

clmooring
November 26th, 2013, 08:48
I have been considering updating to windows 8.1 but I am concerned about FSX. It sounds like P3D runs ok on win 8.1, same with FSX?

Roger
November 26th, 2013, 09:28
I've seen on other forums that you need Aero enabled to get vsync and evidently Win8 doesn't have Aero.

AussieMan
November 26th, 2013, 13:46
I have been considering updating to windows 8.1 but I am concerned about FSX. It sounds like P3D runs ok on win 8.1, same with FSX?

FSX works fine in Windows 8.1. I made no changes whatsoever.

clmooring
November 28th, 2013, 09:03
thanks aussieman. do you think there are any fsx perforance improvements with fsx?

did you update your pc from win 7?

I have a dell xps laptop with 64bit win 7 professional which runs fsx pretty well. but I also use the laptop for work and am considering updating for that reason.

Navy Chief
November 28th, 2013, 10:10
Is the upgrade to 8.1 really worth it. I am currently running Win7, but will be installing two SSDs in the near future.

Please elaborate, if you don't mind? Thanks, NC

AussieMan
November 28th, 2013, 13:04
thanks aussieman. do you think there are any fsx perforance improvements with fsx?

did you update your pc from win 7?

I have a dell xps laptop with 64bit win 7 professional which runs fsx pretty well. but I also use the laptop for work and am considering updating for that reason.

I was running a beta version of Windows 8 for about 6 months and when W8 was released I installed W8 and then upgraded to 8.1 when it became available as for me it was a free upgrade. I have always run the current version of Windows since I first owned a computer. As each new version was released I upgraded but from Vista onwards I have also been using beta versions and providing feedback.

AussieMan
November 28th, 2013, 13:06
I would say go for it Chief. If it is a new SSD then a clean install would be the way to go.

Navy Chief
November 28th, 2013, 15:42
I would say go for it Chief. If it is a new SSD then a clean install would be the way to go.

Hmm, I am wondering then, if I could retain the old drive with Win7, while at the same time- install the new ssd drives with Win8? NC

Butcherbird17
November 28th, 2013, 18:18
Hmm, I am wondering then, if I could retain the old drive with Win7, while at the same time- install the new ssd drives with Win8? NC

Chief,
Setting up a dual boot system is really easy. The way I do it, as not to mess up the master boot file. Is to unplug The win7 drive, (just the mobo cable will do) install the new drive, then the new OS. When done with that, power off the rig. Now this part can be done 1 of 2 ways.

1- If you plan on making win8 your main OS, before you plug back in the win7 drive. Change the jumper setting pin on the old drive to "Slave". Win8 will always boot up when you start up.
(jumper settings are usually printed on the top of the drive, if not check the manufacturers web site)

2-Keep both drives as "Masters", and then go into BIOS and select which drive you want as the 1st boot device.
That drive will always boot 1st unless you change the order.

I have a tri-boot setup (win7, Vista and XP) soon to be a quad-boot once i pick up win8. :) The way i described above is the way I set my system up, and have had no problems at all with any of the OS's.

Joe

norab
November 29th, 2013, 08:31
sorry, I haven't been watching this thread. Let me make the situation a little more clear, I am currently running 1.4 on my Windows 8 factory install. I really wanted to upgrade to 8.1 so first I ran the Microsoft official compatibility tester, available here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

only 2 of the programs I use were not compatible, one I can live without and Prepar3D. I am not willing to give up Prepare3D so even though I very much want to update to 8.1 I won't. I have run this test 4 different times on various dates, with exactly the same result. I have a laptop so it may be a limitation of my physical machine so that would mean I'm pretty much stuck and the thought of having to do a complete re-install along with my add on goodies, only to find that it might not work anyway is too aggravating, and my machine doesn't have the horsepower to rub V.2

I would suggest that if you are thinking about upgrading to Win8.1, then run the tester first so that you are going in with your eyes open. I love my Prepar3D and am not willing to lose it, so my machine will stay at Win8

VCN-1
November 29th, 2013, 09:15
I guess every machine and setup is different.

I am running P3D2 on my Win 8.1 machine and I am not having any difficulty.

VCN-1

Navy Chief
November 29th, 2013, 12:27
I guess every machine and setup is different.

I am running P3D2 on my Win 8.1 machine and I am not having any difficulty.

VCN-1

I just bought two Crucial SSD drives: one 240gb, and the other 480gb. Am thinking of installing the OS on the smaller SSD, and most programs, including P3DV2 on the other. Have not done anything yet. Not in a hurry. To be honest, I am a little apprehensive, because when I built my system three years ago, it was with the help of a friend who no longer lives close by. Although I could "probably" do ok, I am hesitant. NC

AussieMan
November 29th, 2013, 14:15
sorry, I haven't been watching this thread. Let me make the situation a little more clear, I am currently running 1.4 on my Windows 8 factory install. I really wanted to upgrade to 8.1 so first I ran the Microsoft official compatibility tester, available here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

only 2 of the programs I use were not compatible, one I can live without and Prepar3D. I am not willing to give up Prepare3D so even though I very much want to update to 8.1 I won't. I have run this test 4 different times on various dates, with exactly the same result. I have a laptop so it may be a limitation of my physical machine so that would mean I'm pretty much stuck and the thought of having to do a complete re-install along with my add on goodies, only to find that it might not work anyway is too aggravating, and my machine doesn't have the horsepower to rub V.2

I would suggest that if you are thinking about upgrading to Win8.1, then run the tester first so that you are going in with your eyes open. I love my Prepar3D and am not willing to lose it, so my machine will stay at Win8

Norab, if I believed everything posted about different versions of Windows I would still be running Windows 1.11. I first started running P3D on Windows 7 then went to a beta version of Windows 8 then upgraded to the release version and now I am running 8.1 and believe it or not P3d runs fine, if not better than FSX.

You are beginning to remind me of the old Win XP/Vista fight of a few years ago. Yes during installation of Windows 8 I got messages that certain programmes may have problems running but I continused the install and then went to the Compatabity Mode and set those programmes to run as if they were running on a previous version of Windows. I also got the same messages when installing Vista and Windows 7.

Lockheed Martin would make sure their programme would run on Windows 8.1 before they released the programme. You can be assured of that. P3D V2 was slated for release earlier this year but was delayed to ensure compatability with Windows 8 and 8.1.

norab
November 29th, 2013, 17:00
You are beginning to remind me of the old Win XP/Vista fight of a few years ago. Yes during installation of Windows 8 I got messages that certain programmes may have problems running but I continused the install and then went to the Compatabity Mode and set those programmes to run as if they were running on a previous version of Windows. I also got the same messages when installing Vista and Windows 7.

I'm sorry that you seem to feel I'm being silly Aussieman, I was just trying to give people a little useful information. This is not my first rodeo and I tried running the Windows 8.1 compatibility tool with my Prepar3D set in different compatibility modes. I am not trying to cry wolf and I don't have any personal agenda here that I'm pushing, I was simply trying to be helpful.

I appreciate that your experience is different than mine, but your post seems to imply that I am some sort of whiner Newby. I have been using Windows OS's since Windows 95 and have been running various air combat and flightsims since before FS98. I think that gives me a little knowledge base to work with

AussieMan
November 29th, 2013, 17:39
I am not implying that you are silly or a whiney newbie but just stating a fact. That Micro$oft compatability tool is, as we Aussies would say, about as useful as t**s on a bull. I ran that tool when I was upgrading from XP to Vista and it told me my system would not handle Vista but I went ahead and installed it anyway and had no problems.

My first flight sim on the PC was MS Flight Simulator 5.0 which fitted on to one single floppy disc. And I have had every version since then and the only one I did not enjoy was FS for W95.

norab
November 30th, 2013, 06:55
Fine Aussieman, as I stated I was just trying to help people with more information. Since your knowledge is so much all encompassingly greater than mine, my presence in these forums is no longer useful