PDA

View Full Version : DC-8 Jetliner Series 10 to 40 Nov4 sticky

Pepere
October 30th, 2013, 10:10
DC-8 Now at Just Flight. Who really makes this model DC-8.

David

johndetrick
October 30th, 2013, 11:22
I just picked it up. It's crap! I flew DC-8's for 20 years. Both as a PFE and a FO. I also worked as a mechanic on them for 5. I've got about 2 pages of things wrong right now. Not really too much stuff that is DC-8 specific. Just general flight sim stuff. They should've beta tested it a bit longer. Much like a certain website.

Ian Warren
October 30th, 2013, 11:43
Not a Air New Zealand yet but gives you the base pack as we had the 50 series , I do like the sound package .
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/10/30/taoWT.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/10/30/643Ac.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/10/30/z6AbP.jpg
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

dhasdell
October 30th, 2013, 11:46
You just can't beat a bit of constructive criticism.

johndetrick
October 30th, 2013, 12:16
Just a partial list Flight Director doesn't work. Autopilot VS doesn't work. Cabin pressure control lever and hydraulic selector lever animated backwards, When opening the fwd aux fuel tank selector, the motors quit, regardless of how much fuel you have in the main tanks. The PTC indicator should be on the FO's yoke only. Grossly overpowered. Way too sensitive on the controls. This thing was a beast to fly. Altitude select indicator does not work properly. And what's with the nav gauge in the lower left panel? #2 VOR? or ADF? Max pitch angle was limited to 18 degrees, because at twenty the horizontal stab was washed out by the airflow coming off the wing. You should not be able to climb out at 20+ degrees and 4000 fpm. That's just from the first five minutes of "flying" this thing. They could've put some sound to the turbocompressors and recirc fans. You can really hear them in the cockpit. Visually from the outside the model is good. The VC even looks decent. That airspeed gauge should not have been used. To modern. We didn't have airspeed gauges like that until we updated the air data system for RVSM operations. The altimeter is crappy. It's reminiscent of the old three needle altimeter United used to use. Notice I said used to. It was found to be a bit confusing and dangerous.

Bjoern
October 30th, 2013, 13:04

Forward that to JF and help 'em to get it right in a service pack if you've got hands-on experience.

delta_lima
October 30th, 2013, 13:29
I'm with Bjoern on this one.

Lemons to lemonade - a golden opportunity for JF to add some polish to their product, and a great chance for John to capture and pass along his real-world experience. Win-Win-Win - for JF, for John, and for the sim community.

Here's to hoping a positive redirection of the energy can prevail.

I native DC-8 is a must-buy for me, if the issues are sorted - no doubt about that. A pity there's no '50, one of the most prolific of the pre-stretch period. Looks good so far, would love to pick this up.

DL

pbearsailor
October 30th, 2013, 18:43
I don't think this is like fecal material and it bothers me that those references are used. :icon_eek:

I bought it and i will enjoy it. This is an FSX native DC-8 from JustFlight. I didn't expect PMDG quality and I try to understand that JustFlight doesn't really have me in mind with their products. The modeling seems very good and it's the best VC I have seen from JustFlight--it's pretty good.

Some things don't seem to work and I'm guessing that some will be fixed and some won't. I knew that would be the case when I bought it. If the flight model turns out to be too far off for me I can probably look at HJG's freeware versions and make it better.

I'm happy that JustFlight made an FSX native DC-8. Nobody else has made one.
cheers,
steve :wavey:

Ian Warren
October 30th, 2013, 19:03
Ole smokey It only smokes at specific power levels, mainly takeoff... The NZFF boys given me a ribbing :icon_lol: so had to post some smokies out :cool:
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/10/30/RVCAP.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/10/30/lvN56.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/10/30/JCgru.jpg
I do like some of the more exotic paints that come it .. checking all out :mixedsmi:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ian Warren
October 30th, 2013, 19:13
I'm with Bjoern on this one.
I native DC-8 is a must-buy for me, if the issues are sorted - no doubt about that. A pity there's no '50, one of the most prolific of the pre-stretch period. Looks good so far, would love to pick this up.

DL , I followed the Just Flight pages every day and saw the 50's and up the range to the 60 and 70s with the big fans , be along the same line as the the JF Constellation , be a second batch , that is what i also require to suit our ex old T.E.A.L - Air New Zealand aircraft , it a great model and look at the Price !

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Martyn
October 31st, 2013, 00:33
Just to clarify, this was beta tested for a significant amount of time including by some ex DC-8 crew members. If you have spotted any issues or have any general (constructive) feedback then please contact the support team who will pass it on to the relevant people: http://www.justflight.com/support-contact

RAS_JF
October 31st, 2013, 01:40
Hi,

You can download/view the DC-8 manual here for more details - http://www.justflightdownloads.com/esd/Airliners/DC8Jetliner/DC8JetlinerSeries10to40_manual.pdf

Pepere
October 31st, 2013, 04:09
Aircraft sold at Just flight are not always made by Just Flight. Some are made by CLS or other FSX addon aircraft.
So what addon aircraft maker make the DC-8???

David

Tim-HH
October 31st, 2013, 04:24
You can download/view the DC-8 manual here for more details - http://www.justflightdownloads.com/esd/Airliners/DC8Jetliner/DC8JetlinerSeries10to40_manual.pdf

Just take a look at the credits on page 56.

Greetings
Tim

yankeeromeo
October 31st, 2013, 05:25
Hello,

Glad to see a FSX native Diesel-8 but, as i'm not interested about the 10-40 series, do you plan the 61 to 63 series with the JT3D-7 or CFM56 engines:salute:
:icon29:

Pepere
October 31st, 2013, 05:51
Just take a look at the credits on page 56.

Greetings
Tim

Thanks.. Will have to try this one.

David

bully707
October 31st, 2013, 06:09
I am a B707 man myself...but having spent some (ground)time on -61/63 and -71/73 in the past, I really had to have one...:icon_lol:
Yes...the early and "short" versions are not really what I had hoped for, still...I bought it, took it for a spin and love it!

I never flew a DC8 or worked on one as a mechanic...so I wouldn't be able to spot any discrepancies with it anyways...

For me...that thing is just brilliant! Yeah...I can be impressed easily some might say but I think I am just happy with what I can get. :salute:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bully707/FSX/fsscr019_zpsf083dd1c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bully707/FSX/fsscr026_zpsf6b55854.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bully707/FSX/fsscr035_zps76f26ff6.jpg

pbearsailor
October 31st, 2013, 07:18
Aircraft sold at Just flight are not always made by Just Flight. Some are made by CLS or other FSX addon aircraft.

David

Aeroplane Heaven, David.

-steve

Pepere
October 31st, 2013, 12:46
Aeroplane Heaven, David.

-steve

Thanks. I don't like WILCO - Not compatible with my hardware.

David

yankeeromeo
October 31st, 2013, 14:14
I am a B707 man myself...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bully707/FSX/fsscr019_zpsf083dd1c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bully707/FSX/fsscr026_zpsf6b55854.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/bully707/FSX/fsscr035_zps76f26ff6.jpg

pretty nice screenies but what we need is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtyotQ0xLnc
Cheers.

bazzar
October 31st, 2013, 16:01
Patience my friend, patience.

When a developer builds under contract for a publisher, conditions apply. Costs, timing, specifications, QA and many more. This means different projects have different outcomes. Personally I find the process refreshing and would not have it any other way.

You would like PMDG? Thankyou that will be 3 Years.
You would like a "CntrlE" package? Thankyou that will be 3-4 months.
You would like 32 different versions? Thankyou. My sons are fully trained to take over when I die so continuity should not be a problem.

Glad some of you are enjoying it.

:engel016:

CEO Aeroplane Heaven UK, Europe, US and East Asia divisions.

CG_1976
October 31st, 2013, 16:14
? for the JF and or Design Team Re: Beta OS. Can anyone tell me if any test where carried out under Windows 8 system. I am looking for a FSX native DC8 and JF pricing is in my ballpark.

johndetrick
October 31st, 2013, 17:25
Just posted this on the Just Flight forum

I want to preface this by saying that I like this product. It just needs more work. I also want to state that I have a lot of knowledge on this subject as I flew them for 20 years. Both as a Professional Flight Engineer and a First Officer. I also worked as a mechanic on them for 5 years. These are all problems that should have been caught by beta testers. So here goes, it's long list.

Initial Observations on the DC-8

Enginners Panel:

There is an apu position on the volt/freq selector. Very few DC-8's had an apu installed.

Hydraulic system selector lever should normally be in the middle position. The lower position is an emergency position. This lever should be left in the middle position for normal ops.

Cabin pressure control is shown in the manual locked position. The knob should be rotated
90 degrees and colored yellow.

Fuel temp selector- Usually there is no selector, fuel temp is read from the number 4 main tank only.

The N1 and N2 gauges are reversed. Normally N1 is on the engine indicating panel up front. Howeverer, I have seen one airplane with the N1, N2 gauges in this configuration. It was originally ordered by Swissair.

Ground cooling/bloway jet switch is labelled but not installed.

Your fuel panel setup for the engine start is really incorrect. Engines were never started feeding from the center main tank. When you think about it, a lot of flights were done with no fuel in the center tank. The normal start configuration was all crossfeed levers up, the fuel selector levers (white levers) feeding the engines from their respective main tank. All main boost pumps on. After each engine was started, it's boost pump was shut off to check the engine driven fuel pump pressure. A negative pressure indicated a failure. The boost pumps were turned back on during the before takeoff checklist.

The Aileron and Rudder manual reversion lights should come on when the hydraulic power levers are placed in the down position. These levers are normally down when the aircraft is shutdown. They shutoff the hydraulic fluid to the aileron and rudder power packs when you have a hydraulic leak. They are placed on during the after start checklist.

Cabin VSI indicates a climb of 1500 fpm all the time.

The hydraulic aux pump should read 2800 to 3000 psi, not 1600 psi.

When the engine hydraulic bypass switches are placed in bypass, the only thing that should go down is the hydraulic pressure.

No sounds for the turbo compressors or recirculation fans. You really hear them when you
put them on.

No bell with the fire warning test.

Overhead:

The fire shutoff switch cover should have a white dot about halfway up from verbage to the beginning of its travel. This indicates at what position the generator field trips.

The standby magnetic compass is normally mounted in the ceiling behind the captains seat. The pilots normally viewed it using a mirror in front of each position. The navigator could look up to his right and view it. The pilots usually adjusted these during their preflight and then folded them down.

The engine anti ice lights were normally out. They were disagreement lights. If the valve position disagreed with the switch position, they came on. When the switch was placed either open or closed the light would flicker briefly for 1 or 2 seconds.

Main Instrument panels:

Standby airspeed indicator. Never saw one. It wasn't needed because the DC-8 had two independent pitot static systems.

#1 VOR omnirange indicator should not be there. #1 Vor is indicated on the captains HSI and the #2 VOR is indicated on the FO's HSI.

The RMI should read both VOR and ADF selectable by a pair of two position switches located on the bottom of the RMI. These were called the suicide switches.

Standby attitude indicator not installed until the 1970's.

The airspeed indicator is too modern. The digital readouts did not come along until the 2000's when aircraft were made RVSM compliant by replacing the air data system.
The maximum airspeed pointer was not hooked to the autothrottle. It was used as a ref bug for threshold speed (Vth) and V2+10. It should be orange/red.

Autothrottle-No autothrottles were installed on the early aircraft. They weren't installed until the 60 series. And then were not used much. It was found that they didn't work well and were disconnected.

The altimeter with a digital readout wasn't used until the aircraft were made RVSM compliant. In any case your altimeter does not indicate the altitude correctly.

Altitude Selector/Alerter (In the center top part of the glareshield.) Should not follow the
altitude. The pilot not flying selects the altitude that they are cleared to. At 800 ft below the target altitude an aural alert is sounded and an amber light is illuminated. Once leveled
off, if the aircraft deviates +- 200 ft from the altitude indicated in the selector window, the warnings occur. The same thing happens in reverse when descending. 800 ft above the selected altitude the warnings come on.

Slot light. No slot light installed. An amber light, usually on the FO's panel that illuminates
when the flaps extend past 7 degrees and the slots are not open. It will also come on when the flaps retract past two degrees and the slots are not closed. When flaps are extend or retracted it normally comes on for one or two seconds as everything cycles.

Flap position indicator has two pointers.

The autopilot warning lights and position indicators are normally on the captains side. The aircraft only has one set installed. They can be on the FO's side, but then they wouldn't be on the captains side.

Auto pilot servo switches are normally on the captains side only, if they are installed. Not every aircraft had them.

PTC indicator is on the FO's yoke only.

Parking brake animation is backwards. To set the parking brake, you pull up.

Hydraulic brake pressure gauge should read a max of 3000 psi.

The full flaps placard should not be there on the early aircraft. Flaps 50 was a normal landing flap position. Flaps 35 became the normal landing position when the hushkits were installed and the aircraft had to be stage 3 noise compliant. By landing at flaps 35 versus flaps 50 it lowered the power setting required and hence the noise. In fact when I flew the 61,62 and 63 aircraft we quite often had an "emergency" landing. Flaps 50 is still the normal landing flaps for the 70 series as they have cfm-56 turbofans installed and are stage 3 compliant.

The autopilot turn knob should not be hooked to the heading bug. If you were flying along in heading select and wanted to turn the aircraft for a deviation of some sort, you rotate the turn knob out of it's center detente in the direction you wished to turn. The autopilot would snap out of heading select.

The vertical speed wheel function is incorrect. The white index mark should be the zero fpm rate of climb position. When there, it is also the altitude hold switch. There is no separate altitude hold switch. When flying the aircraft on autopilot, the pilot places a fingertip on the VS wheel and keeps it there while rotating it towards the rear to climb, and forward to descend. When approaching your target altitude you would slowly reduce the rate of climb to zero. At that point you could feel the feel settle into its altitude hold detent.
Those aircraft that did have a separate altitude hold switch, it was a flight director function.

The flight director does not work properly. The switch should definitely have separate detentes for each position. The FI position will follow the heading bug. The other functions will follow the nav sources.

I think that if these are corrected a good product will turn into a classic outstanding project.

delta_lima
October 31st, 2013, 20:54
Comprehensive feedback John - well done!

Baz, wasn't trying to sound "down" about there not being a '50 - something about those gills in the engine nacelles - really like that version. ... but I'm still happy that there is the '40. I understand these are big complex projects - I know you have to "peg" a set of variants, and on such a diverse model family like the '8, the number of iterations is enormous. It's not for no reason that Dee Waldron took as long as he did on the HJG family, and that was with VC-less models.

Anyone who has this can comment on the FPS? Say, using the JF Comet as a benchmark? Hope it's not like the CS 707 and 737. Those are completely unusable on my current rig. If they're good, I'll be picking this up on the weekend when I return home ....

DL
thanks!

bazzar
October 31st, 2013, 21:54
Indeed not down at all. In fact Iam grateful for the input John and much of it will be extremely useful for the next update. We do use official manuals and some of these do differ from your descriptions so i guess it is going to come down to finding some middle. For example, the fuel setting is setup from the chart in the official United ops manual. Please also remember that FSX was not designed for many of the systems code demanded by today's simmers so compromises and workarounds are inevitable.

If it can be done witin a reasonable timeframe, it will be.

bully707
October 31st, 2013, 22:11
Phantastic input by both bazzar and John!
Thank you...!

I would like to point out, that I think Dax Sweetmanns repaints included in the package are fine pieces of work!
Have many of his repaints for the CS aircraft and admire his work!

Cheers...

johndetrick
October 31st, 2013, 22:21
"For example, the fuel setting is setup from the chart in the official United ops manual." There is your problem. United has a reputation for doing things their own way, regardless of what the manufacturer does. Especially in the old days. Most of the changes brought out in the DC-8 were because United crashed one here and ran off the runway there... We had a bunch of ex United 71's that had things on them that were really wrong. Like digital fuel gauges that didn't work, because a captain ran one out of gas in Portland Oregon. Rather than fixing the captain and their training, they "fixed' the airplane. I could go on for hours. Any procedure you get from United I would treat with a grain of salt. Just think about it in a nice logical flow of events. Does the United procedure make sense? Why would you start using fuel from a tank you don't use all the time? Why would you use fuel from alternate tanks that may not have fuel in them all the time. Your procedure for putting all the fuel control levers up for start is wrong as well. All the fuel control levers should be down in the cutoff position. You place the fuel lever for the engine being started up at 15% N2, you then have fuel flow and ignition. The pilot starting the motors is looking at all the engine gauges during start. Otherwise the engineer, if the N2 gauges are in the back is calling out 15% and 35% N2. The 35% is for starter cutout. Unlike the newer jets were the starts switch opens automatically, on the Jurrassic Jet, you had to hold them until you hit 35% or in the case of the 70's,you hit 50% N2. You held those switches for a looooong time on the 70. So long that UPS put switches with longer levers so their pilots wouldn't get tired cramped fingers.

bully707
November 1st, 2013, 06:39
:icon_lol:
That is one cool bit of trivia...!
Thank you for your inside view on how the DC8 was operated...:salute:

big-mike
November 1st, 2013, 09:36
I will get her for sure---later.
For the moment---no money left.:isadizzy:
Mike

johndetrick
November 1st, 2013, 10:45
:icon_lol:
That is one cool bit of trivia...!
Thank you for your inside view on how the DC8 was operated...:salute:

Here is a link to a website with info about the accident: http://www.airdisaster.com/investigations/ua173.shtml

United's fix was to replace the Douglas fuel quantity system which worked quite well with a system with large digital readouts that the captain could see that was problematic at best. I can't tell you how many times when trucking across a large body of water I couldn't get a fuel reading using the gauges. It was good that the jurrassic jet had a magnetic drip sticks that could read the fuel quantity. We used to stick the tanks before every flight and then use a fuel log for every flight over four hours and every over water flight. You get real good at doing fuel burn calculations in your head on the fly so to speak. You can never have enough fuel, unless you are on fire.

Pepere
November 1st, 2013, 16:18
For some reason it has a hard hit on fps while taxiing?

David

CG_1976
November 1st, 2013, 19:29
Calling JF Tower.

Just bought the DC8 and reporting it works on Windows 8 64. However a minor issue. Windows 8 is coughing on the pdf and I had to refer to my hand down Air Canada DC8 manual to start the bird. Please advise with re PDF W8.

yankeeromeo
November 2nd, 2013, 00:52
Hello all,

@johndetrick;
I'm able to nose up this DC-8 at around 58-60 Kias, either half or full load even over GW!
Is this a normal attitude for a DC-8 knowing that the V1, Vr and V2 are between 120 till 152 Knts ?
thanks in advance for your lights and clues:salute:
:icon29::icon29:

bazzar
November 2nd, 2013, 13:51
Like all new releases, does this one not deserve a sticky?

johndetrick
November 2nd, 2013, 14:44
Hello all,

@johndetrick;
I'm able to nose up this DC-8 at around 58-60 Kias, either half or full load even over GW!
Is this a normal attitude for a DC-8 knowing that the V1, Vr and V2 are between 120 till 152 Knts ?
thanks in advance for your lights and clues:salute:

The simple and short answer is no. In the real world,the pilot flying at 80 kts will do an elevator check by pushing forward on the yoke and bringing it back to neutral. The nose dips a little, but not much. This is to check that the elevator is not stuck. The elevator on this airplane is unpowered and takes a bit of force on rotation to lift the nose up. A crash of a -63 at JFK caused by a jammed elevator caused this procedure to be added to the checklist as well as a new elevator position indicator, which is checked on the taxi checklist. That reminds me of something else missing on the new model is the lack of the gustlock on the FO's side of the cockpit. A long lever with a big yellow knob on it. It locked the elevator and rudder in place when parked.

delta_lima
November 3rd, 2013, 07:24

Agreed. It's a very awkward-looking oversight. Sends a wrong message, even if it's not intended.

DL

yankeeromeo
November 3rd, 2013, 07:57
The simple and short answer is no. In the real world,the pilot flying at 80 kts will do an elevator check by pushing forward on the yoke and bringing it back to neutral. The nose dips a little, but not much. This is to check that the elevator is not stuck. The elevator on this airplane is unpowered and takes a bit of force on rotation to lift the nose up. A crash of a -63 at JFK caused by a jammed elevator caused this procedure to be added to the checklist as well as a new elevator position indicator, which is checked on the taxi checklist. That reminds me of something else missing on the new model is the lack of the gustlock on the FO's side of the cockpit. A long lever with a big yellow knob on it. It locked the elevator and rudder in place when parked.

I thought also it was not possible, so a little of FD tuning is necessary:pop4:
Thanks for your answers.

yankeeromeo
November 3rd, 2013, 07:58

absolutely:salute:
Cheers.

pbearsailor
November 3rd, 2013, 11:56

It does! :salute:

flaviossa
November 3rd, 2013, 15:19
Enjoying a lot this plane. Thanks JF!
There is a ISG panel available in flightsim.com if anybody is interested. And of course, it deserves a sticky as everybody else :salute:

Martyn
November 3rd, 2013, 23:39
Calling JF Tower.

Just bought the DC8 and reporting it works on Windows 8 64. However a minor issue. Windows 8 is coughing on the pdf and I had to refer to my hand down Air Canada DC8 manual to start the bird. Please advise with re PDF W8.

Could you submit a ticket so our support team can look into that for you? http://www.justflight.com/support-contact

Thanks
Martyn

RAS_JF
November 3rd, 2013, 23:58
Calling JF Tower.

Hi,
Have a go at re-downloading the PDF as the manual doesn't have any problem loading on W8 under normal circumstances. In fact I think it was written on a W8 PC. If you still have problems please let me know.

yankeeromeo
November 4th, 2013, 01:21
Enjoying a lot this plane. Thanks JF!
There is a ISG panel available in flightsim.com if anybody is interested. And of course, it deserves a sticky as everybody else :salute:

Thank you, have to try:salute:

Pepere
November 4th, 2013, 02:20
The flaps gauge does not work and the radar altimeter looks like it is missing something.

David

RAS_JF
November 4th, 2013, 03:49
The flap gauge will only work if you have turned the power on.
It's all in the manual...

Martyn
November 4th, 2013, 04:47
and the radar altimeter looks like it is missing something.

David

Sounds like you might be referring to the blanking plate that obscures part of the scale?

stovall
November 4th, 2013, 06:20
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bazzar http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=845682#post845682)

Agreed. It's a very awkward-looking oversight. Sends a wrong message, even if it's not intended.

DL

As moderator, I take full responsibility for the oversight. Definitely not intending to send the wrong message. My sincere apologies.

yankeeromeo
November 4th, 2013, 07:24
Hello Folks,

any repainters for a DC-8-43 out there:ques:
Thanks in advance.

NB: glad to see, on the DC-8 config tool, the words CFM-56...

Pepere
November 4th, 2013, 09:21
Sounds like you might be referring to the blanking plate that obscures part of the scale?

Mine is not blinking, just missing a part.

David

RAS_JF
November 4th, 2013, 11:02
Mine is not blinking, just missing a part.

David

Blanker, not blinker. It's a black plate over the gauge.

Lionheart
November 4th, 2013, 12:44
Beautiful looking work on the skin. Nice...! Love the VC as well.

Fuel systems (in general) in FS are horrible when trying to make a high-realism aircraft system that is sophisticated. Trying to get them to work like real world usually means dummy switches and hiding things that simply cannot work in the FS world because of code limitations. Then you have different models. ack...

yankeeromeo
November 28th, 2013, 06:39
Hello Folks,

found this video,
J.F, we are awaiting on your 50 to 60 series with CFM engines now:wavey:
Enjoy the video.
:ernaehrung004:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvxii-SQgco

Bjoern
November 28th, 2013, 07:21
The CFM-56 growl at high N1 sounds even better when there's four of 'em.

Martyn
February 15th, 2014, 02:01
An extensive SP is now available for the DC-8 - http://www.justflight.com/articles/dc8-jetliner-series-10-to-40-service-pack-two

Reported bugs have been addressed and, wherever possible, requested features from owners of the Just Flight DC-8 aircraft have been incorporated
New texture/model swapper tool to allow frames to be increased where required
Users who have installed or created additional liveries will have them preserved during the Service Pack installation
Cockpit upgrade ranging from improved detail and texture resolution to completely new code for the autopilot
Notable additions to the cockpit are sound for all switches and knobs and various warning sirens, fire bells and so on to increase the immersive quality of the cockpit
The general layout of the instrument panels has changed and now replicates actual cockpits in the early series of the DC-8 rather than the more generic composition of the previous cockpit
Operation of most knobs and dial controls now simplified and standardised
Third party radar – with the increasing amount of third-party radar add-ons available, we have placed a placeholder gauge tile in the centre screen of the weather radar (WXR) unit to allow third party radars to be installed
Autopilot unit now simulates the exact operation of this unit type as fitted to early DC-8s in United Airlines service (and others)
GPS – following customer requests we have added a 2D GPS panel. The autopilot is configured to fly GPS or NAV coordinates and will follow a flight plan set in the GPS if the GPS/NAV switch is switched to the GPS position
Engineer’s panel – significant changes have been made to this area in the the electrical and Hydraulics and fuel systems

mal998
February 15th, 2014, 08:36
I have not seen this addressed yet, but does anyone know if it is possible to turn on/off the wingtip nav lights? I have sent my concern to Support but have yet to receive an answer. Anyone?

bazzar
February 15th, 2014, 16:58
Navigation lights on DC-8s were switched on automatically when powering up the aircraft.
They turn off with the battery switch.

skyhawka4m
February 15th, 2014, 17:56
any idea when other models will be released?

yankeeromeo
February 17th, 2014, 22:53
Hi dihoo Folks,

be patient, this is on the way:a1310:
http://www.justflight.com/product/dc8-jetliner-series-50-to-70
Cheers.

Martyn
October 13th, 2015, 00:00
Everyone should have received an email about this, but just in case you missed it:

Service packs have been released for the Series 10-40 base pack and livery pack.

Base pack - http://www.justflight.com/support/dc-8-jetliner/16e1f5d
Livery pack - http://www.justflight.com/support/dc-8-jetliner/5cc4118

As noted on the support page, the service pack for the base pack will be updated soon to add more fixes/improvements (everything that has been reported to us and verified as a bug). We will also be releasing service packs for the Series 50-70 and livery packs shortly.

Work is still on-going on the service pack for the Series 10-40 base pack, so please continue to report any issues that you find to the customer service team so that they can be logged and passed to the developer.

The new installers will be going out to our third-party retailers soon.

StormILM
October 13th, 2015, 01:15
Bought mine over at Flightsim.com. Will check in with my account in a day or two.

johndetrick
October 13th, 2015, 03:25
Navigation lights on DC-8s were switched on automatically when powering up the aircraft.
They turn off with the battery switch.
Where did you get that bit of information? I saw many a DC-8 in my career working and flying them. Never saw any with the position lights come on automatically with the battery switch. The battery bus on the 8 was remarkably small. In fact the battery itself was the size of a shoebox located in the right wheel well. If I remember correctly the Nav Lights were powered by Cabin Bus 4, which was a 115V AC bus getting it's power either from the #4 generator,( if unparalleled), the ac tie bus (if on ground power or paralleled) or the Ground service bus( on the ground with external power). And I do remember correctly, just checked the manuals.

bazzar
October 13th, 2015, 04:44
Well John if I remember correctly, you were part of the beta test team so presumably you must have thought it right at the time...

johndetrick
October 13th, 2015, 07:43
Yes i was part of the Beta team. I don't want to get into a conflict over this, but I do just want to say that at the time there were so many issues that I never checked something as minor as the nav lights.

bazzar
October 13th, 2015, 14:19
Well we didn't think they were minor. Which is why we replicated the system fitted to these aircraft. There are two sets of navigation lights. One is switchable and oscillates in the housings (yes we reproduced this through code and animation technique) the second set is fixed and cannot be turned off except by pulling the circuit breaker. So, logically these fixed lights would come on when power is applied to the aircraft. This is probably the system to which I was referring in 2014.

My reference for this system was Page 146 of the United Airlines DC-8 Flight Manual.

StormILM
October 13th, 2015, 14:47
Just took a look at my account at Flightsim.com Pilot Shop and saw something odd: File Last Updated: Tuesday, 22nd September, 2015 @ 07:24am

Not sure what to make of that but thus far, the current update is not there yet. I bought my DC-8 Series 10-40 back in July of 2014 and as per the policy of their store, the free file backup ends 1 year after original purchase (with a $4.95 download link reactivation thereafter). While I'm not a huge fan of this policy(and I'm aware many other folks aren't as well), I do back up my original files and they normally reactivate the link upon an update being issued. I will advise via PM or Direct Email if they do not in due time.

ColoKent
October 13th, 2015, 19:38
....give us the NASA paint scheme on the -72!!!!