PDA

View Full Version : installing FSX on a seperate hard disk

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 03:37
Hey guys,

I recieved a second hard disk yesterday. it is a 1,000,000,000,000 bites (1 TB) disk with 32mb cache from western digital. At present i have FSX and Vista installed on 1 drive. But i now want to seperate them. I tried to run the FSX installer but it gave only two options repair and remove. I did not want toe remove nor repair. How to fix this?

I tried to mask the fsx.exe by copying it to another folder and changing the extension from exe to txt. that did not work.

So i thought i just back up the folders i want to keep and remove FSX. After doing that i went to the software section in the configuration panel and tried to remove fsx. It did not want to do that because some program was installing something (dont know what since idid not iniatate any install at that point). Now i went a bit silly and just pressed the shift+ del button on the microsoft games folder and running ccleaner to get rid of registry files. (This was the really stupid thing to do i think)

Now the problem really starts. I thought everyting is gone and ran the installer again. BUT it still says repair or remove. remove did not work anymore since there was nothing the program could find to remove. So i choose to repair and thats running now.

Now my question is is it possible to install a second install of fsx on my new hard drive?

kind regards and thanks for any help,

Meso

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 04:11
You have a mess going on now.......

I would do this.....Save files you want from FSx.Then uninstall it totally...

To get it to reinstall again you will need to go into the regestry and remove all FSX entries by hand......

Then on your second drive make a folder and call it say...FSX...When you install FSX again browse it to that folder you made on the new drive....

Just let us know if you do not know how to remove the entries in the regestry or how to find them...

A second install...I don't know really....sorry

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 04:24
Harley man,

thanks for the reply. I ran the repair thing and it was able to boot up fsx. So that worked out nice, however i also had acceleration, and those files are missing. Should i reinstall this as well and remove correctly via the fsx dvd's? or can i just uninstall the "clean" fsx like it is now?

As for the registry i used Ccleaner and it worked pretty well. I saw after manually removing fsx that it found some correlating entries and ccleaner removed those. but the dvd still thought fsx was present for some reason.

kind regards,

Meso

btw; it really is a mess now, also because the weekend is just 2 days and i just wanted it to install on the second harddsik too eager. I learned my lesson
probably everybody is doing this about my mess-->:gossip:

EDIT: i just went to the software in the configuration panel, but i did not see an FSX entry...:help:
btw i have vista, does that make things like this more difficult?

this is what can find in the registry:

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 04:33
CCleaner for me never removed all the regestry entries....

I would uninstall from the disks now and reinstall to a new folder you make on new drive...

It happens.....You are not the first..Trust me on that......

Let me know if you need more help

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 04:35
Go thru all the 4-5 folders in the regestry..It places thing s in odd places,not just software.. I mean not just FSX MS....

Plus it leaves things in your user name to in the C/ drive too..

Daube
January 17th, 2009, 04:45
It's really simple in fact under Windows XP, so I guess it can be done in Vista as well (although the various paths I will provide will certainely be different)
I did it three days ago, moved my FSX from my C drive to my new E drive.

There are four steps to follow:
- move the FSX folder to the new disk
- edit the registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 to adjust the path
- edit the registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 to adjust the path
- check in your \Documents and settings\all users.windows\application data\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg that there is no reference to the old installation path and adjust it if needed.

And voila, that's done.

EDIT: sorry, one last step => edit the FSX.cfg to replace the old path with the new one for all the gauges from FS9 planes that you have confirmed in the past !

kilo delta
January 17th, 2009, 05:01
You'd be much better off installing a fresh FSX installation, especially if you are running addons.

Boomer
January 17th, 2009, 05:05
You'd be much better off installing a fresh FSX installation, especially if you are running addons.

Ditto that

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 05:15
Thanks for all the replies. I just installed it completely with acceleration as well and it runs properly. there was only one freaky thing that it found all the entries i had of tile proxy which i removed before removing fsx. Those entries in the scenery cfg i removed via the scnerey library.
But how do i know for sure that pressing the remove button will remove fsx properly without any tracings that would prevent the ption of reinstall instead of the repair or remove options?

as for now no addons are installed, however they were in the past. i have back-ups of my good fsx setup of:
-simobjects
-addon scenery
-effects
- gauges

i am in favor of reinstalling from scratch, but am a little bit frightened by the process i had to go through...

kind regards,

Meso

will i be able to copy them succesfully if i follow Daubes procedure?

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 05:24
You won't really know till you try to reinstall to the other drive....But then just remove all the FSX regestry entries and go again....

It can be a pain.......

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 05:28
You won't really know till you try to reinstall to the other drive....But then just remove all the FSX regestry entries and go again....

It can be a pain.......

True, i'll just try and see what the result is. repairing seems to work quite well and than i could try daube's procedures.

Thanks so far,

Meso

Dangerous Beans
January 17th, 2009, 05:34
One thing I found to watch out for if you have Acceleration installed is that in "Add Remove Programs" there will only be an entry for "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Acceleration".
One you've uninstalled that if you go back to "Add Remove Programs" there will now be an entry for "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" that you will also need to uninstall.

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 05:49
One thing I found to watch out for if you have Acceleration installed is that in "Add Remove Programs" there will only be an entry for "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Acceleration".
One you've uninstalled that if you go back to "Add Remove Programs" there will now be an entry for "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" that you will also need to uninstall.

thanks for that, i was indeed wondering where fsx "clean" was since acceleration was there...

removing now while im checking out track ir videos on youtube. its pretty neat.

Kind regards,

Meso

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 06:00
here i am checking in again. an im feeling like this right now: :jump:

it works!!!! hihaaa! thanks for all the help, support and tips and tricks. it now is installing on my 1000,000,000,000 bytes hard disk.

thanks again,

and ill let you know what the results are with some screenshots.

kind regards,

Meso

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 06:10
Oh yea...I love a happy ending....LOL

Thats great news....You will love FSX on its own drive too......

BTW..wifey was doing a system restore today that went way wrong...Now she has all day to reformat and redo all her games...:faint:

So you are way ahead on her...

BTW...What addons do you have besides planes..There are some tricks there too...

Pronto91
January 17th, 2009, 06:16
Why not just use the 'Move to' feature in Explorer? I moved FS9 to an external hard drive in a matter of minutes and have had no problems since.

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 06:22
Because he got it all borked up ....

So he decided a clean install was a good thing to be sure.....:friday:

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 07:56
Oh yea...I love a happy ending....LOL

Thats great news....You will love FSX on its own drive too......

BTW..wifey was doing a system restore today that went way wrong...Now she has all day to reformat and redo all her games...:faint:

So you are way ahead on her...

BTW...What addons do you have besides planes..There are some tricks there too...

that happend to me also on my old laptop, but that came with a super back-up system that restored all in a few minutes phfew.

as for add-ons i only have planes, active-sky and x-graphics, which i uninstalled prior to uninstalling fsx. Now i am restoring what i had. i am thinking of flight environment extreme. I like the screenshots of those giant clouds.

here are some shots of my new clean install. i backed up my old fsx.cfg which im using now, but maybe i should let fsx create a new one im not sure yet.

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 08:07
It is best to let FSX build a new config...Then just rewrite the new one just like the old is....Then make a copy of your new to keep ..And toss the old as its history....

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 10:01
ok i'll do that.

btw the screenshots above are with the old fsx.cfg. the one wth clear skies had 24 fps where it was locked. adding the building storms theme it dropped to 10 in the clouds. above it was still at 20.

kind regards,

Meso

ps. without this forum my troubles would have last much longer. thanks guys for the replies and absorbing my troubles:wavey:

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 10:57
They are nice screens above.......

Glad that its all going well for you......:ernae: