PDA

View Full Version : Bare metal P-51D package!

Morton
October 28th, 2013, 13:51
3-4 months ago I uploaded an upgrade of the "old" ALPHASIM FS2004 P-47D with bare metal textures. Now it's time for a similar rework of the ALPHASIM FS2004 P-51D for CFS2.

Eight new shiny aluminum skins, wide screen panel of course and modded MDL, DP etc.

Sure, these models belongs to the previous FS9 model generation, but this P-51D is still one of the best looking and correct freeware Mustang available.
I'm no AIR- or DP-file expert so any improvements are welcomed.

Mort:salute:n

bub
October 28th, 2013, 14:14
Very nice, Sir, a welcome addition and will be put to good use.

Thanks,

Bub

Morton
October 28th, 2013, 14:39
My pleasure Bub. :salute:

Morton

dmaloof
October 28th, 2013, 18:40
thx you da man

Captain Kurt
October 28th, 2013, 19:43
Morton,

Please feel free to use the cfg, air and dp files from the updates I created for the Alphasim P-51D for the 354th Fighter Group Campaign. I spent many, many hours tweaking to get the plane performing within the real aircraft's specifications. The dp file is designed to produce more aggressive wing men, and uses Fdg2 weapons, and the pretty accurate VB planes 75 gallon / KM 108 gallon wing tanks.

Your work on bare metal finishes puts mine to shame, I must say. It's really outstanding.

Just as a point of historical accuracy and not a criticism, the Mustangs did not have bare metal wings. The wings were actually spray painted silver because the wing's laminar flow airfoil required a completely smooth surface. The paint was necessary to fill and seal the rivet heads smoothly into the wing skin. The rest of the plane was bare aluminum.

That does not detract from how well you can produce bare metal skins though. I just have to say Wow!

Morton
October 28th, 2013, 22:48
Morton,
Please feel free to use the cfg, air and dp files from the updates I created for the Alphasim P-51D for the 354th Fighter Group Campaign.

Just the thing I want Captain! Thanks! :salute:

Rami
October 29th, 2013, 03:40
Morton,

These are outstanding, I continue to marvel at the quality of your work! :medals: :icon29: :medals:

(Kurt, I didn't know that about the Mustang's wings...) :salute:

gaucho_59
October 29th, 2013, 06:17
Just the thing I want Captain! Thanks! :salute:

the plural of AIRCRAFT... is aircraft...

no such word in English... as " AIRCRAFTS "

1 aircraft... a zillion, 10, 30 ad nauseam AIRCRAFT...

With you and other nationalities... it is not a big thing... but it's a pity that not a single American, Canadian or other native speaker either took the time to notice or, for that matter, ignored and failed to render aid by pointing out your error.

I am a long time resident, war veteran, and retired field grade US ARMY officer fluent in six European languages and, were it not for some concerned individual's corrections... I would still be committing the same errors up to today (I am one of those who came to attend college in the US in 1959 and never returned home)...

My late wife of more than 20 years always corrected me... [I used to say "bomBing" and "moDern" and off instead if "ov" always saying... You have a cute accent... but it is "bomming" and "moren" if you don't want to sound like somebody fresh off the boat...

Now my present wife says... "you sound just like any other American... why did you have to lose your accent"

My experience after residing in Italy since I retired in 1984 was far different...

As I learned Italian from my maternal grandfather...it really was not up to par....very colloquial with poor vocabulary skills..I became fully cognizant - scoring a DLSI professional level skill identifier - owing to colleagues and friends who constantly pointed out my errors...

How can you become conversant with a language if you don't know what usage or grammatical errors you are committing???

I deem it irresponsible for anyone who knows better to deny another person the opportunity to improve his or her language skills through inaction!
It is my hope that, as you read this lines, you understand that this a correction NOT criticism... The spirit here is to help you improve your English
I am sure you would like your words to reflect the same level of perfection reflected by your MASTERFUL repainting skills!

I thank you again for making available your art to all....

Worthless
October 29th, 2013, 07:52
Morton,

Please feel free to use the cfg, air and dp files from the updates I created for the Alphasim P-51D for the 354th Fighter Group Campaign. I spent many, many hours tweaking to get the plane performing within the real aircraft's specifications. The dp file is designed to produce more aggressive wing men, and uses Fdg2 weapons, and the pretty accurate VB planes 75 gallon / KM 108 gallon wing tanks.

Your work on bare metal finishes puts mine to shame, I must say. It's really outstanding.

Just as a point of historical accuracy and not a criticism, the Mustangs did not have bare metal wings. The wings were actually spray painted silver because the wing's laminar flow airfoil required a completely smooth surface. The paint was necessary to fill and seal the rivet heads smoothly into the wing skin. The rest of the plane was bare aluminum.

That does not detract from how well you can produce bare metal skins though. I just have to say Wow!

FYI.....

Morton's latest offering sent me hunting through my files for these very P-51D updates you created. I had downloaded and flown them when they first appeared here at SOH. At that time however I didn't have an ETO theater to fly them in. Now however, I am happy to say, I have both a working ETO and MTO.
But I digress.....What I discovered is that all of the zips and the installed AC created for your campaign were missing a lot of files. When I say the files were missing, I mean I couldn't see them. They were invisible to me. Yet the P-51 AC I had originally installed, flies. It works just fine
Here is what I have....

The zip..ALPHA_P-51D_Mustang_353rd
Aircraft....aircraft.cfg....no other files visible
Model......model.cfg....no other files visible
Panel.......panel.cfg....no other files visible
Sound.......sound.cfg...no other files vsible
Texture....nothing at all...only a line of text stating....This folder is empty

Since I didn't have an ETO or MTO when I originally downloaded these zips.....I installed the 353rd AC in one of my PTOs. It's still there, and it flies just fine, .....only the same condition exists in the installed version as the original zip. It's crazy. All of the P-51d zips you uploaded for your 354th Fighter Group Campaign are that way. I know all the files were visible when originally downloaded, so something has occurred since that time. I also know the invisible files are still in the folders because I did a little experiment. I downloaded the same 353rd AC again from the SOH Library and attempted to copy the missing files from my new zip to the installed AC and got the standard MS question, "Are you sure you want to replace this file". So the original file is there, except I can't see it. Same thing for Model, Panel, and Texture files. I checked to see if this has occurred in any other downloads. So far as I can tell it hasn't. Oh, and by the way....I looked to see if my zip backups were affected. Same thing. My oldest backup from January as well as one from July is/are identical.

Well, I don't really expect a fix. So I am replacing all of my zips. Thankyou SOH.....!

Rami
October 29th, 2013, 09:48
the plural of AIRCRAFT... is aircraft...

no such word in English... as " AIRCRAFTS "

1 aircraft... a zillion, 10, 30 ad nauseam AIRCRAFT...

With you and other nationalities... it is not a big thing... but it's a pity that not a single American, Canadian or other native speaker either took the time to notice or, for that matter, ignored and failed to render aid by pointing out your error.

I am a long time resident, war veteran, and retired field grade US ARMY officer fluent in six European languages and, were it not for some concerned individual's corrections... I would still be committing the same errors up to today (I am one of those who came to attend college in the US in 1959 and never returned home)...

My late wife of more than 20 years always corrected me... [I used to say "bomBing" and "moDern" and off instead if "ov" always saying... You have a cute accent... but it is "bomming" and "moren" if you don't want to sound like somebody fresh off the boat...

Now my present wife says... "you sound just like any other American... why did you have to lose your accent"

My experience after residing in Italy since I retired in 1984 was far different...

As I learned Italian from my maternal grandfather...it really was not up to par....very colloquial with poor vocabulary skills..I became fully cognizant - scoring a DLSI professional level skill identifier - owing to colleagues and friends who constantly pointed out my errors...

How can you become conversant with a language if you don't know what usage or grammatical errors you are committing???

I deem it irresponsible for anyone who knows better to deny another person the opportunity to improve his or her language skills through inaction!
It is my hope that, as you read this lines, you understand that this a correction NOT criticism... The spirit here is to help you improve your English
I am sure you would like your words to reflect the same level of perfection reflected by your MASTERFUL repainting skills!

I thank you again for making available your art to all....

Gaucho_59,

While of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, please remember that this is a global sim, and often English is not the first language of a good portion of our friendly bunch. Morton, for example, lives in Norway. You should know from having been in Europe, and having traveled there myself, there is a difference between Continental English and North American English. I'm sure that users don't mine being politely nudged and corrected...

However, the "Sermon From the Mount" approach can be a bit snobbish and rub people the wrong way. :a1451:

Just something to keep in mind for the future...

mav
October 29th, 2013, 10:21
Thanks Morton,

Very nice... might take these up in the fsx!!! ;)

Morton
October 29th, 2013, 12:39
It's a bit off topic in this forum of course, but since Gaucho started this, one reply must be allowed. Principally I completely agree with you Gaucho about learning languages etc. And it's embarrasing that I didn't notice the extra s that got stuck there a couple of years ago.

On the other hand i disagree. First of all, I think you might scare off 50% of the SOH members with that kind of attitude. In todays world I think it's imperative that people communicate, no matter if they speak the language (read English) perfectly or not. Why dont we just for fun all write in French on SOH for one week? Should be interesting.

Even you (..speaking six languages) should probably be very grateful as a tourist in Norway beeing able to address the 10 year old girl on the street. In Your language!

Mort:icon29:

gaucho_59
October 29th, 2013, 15:02
It's a bit off topic in this forum of course, but since Gaucho started this, one reply must be allowed. Principally I completely agree with you Gaucho about learning languages etc. And it's embarrasing that I didn't notice the extra s that got stuck there a couple of years ago.

On the other hand i disagree. First of all, I think you might scare off 50% of the SOH members with that kind of attitude. In todays world I think it's imperative that people communicate, no matter if they speak the language (read English) perfectly or not. Why dont we just for fun all write in French on SOH for one week? Should be interesting.

Even you (..speaking six languages) should probably be very grateful as a tourist in Norway beeing able to address the 10 year old girl on the street. In Your language!

Mort:icon29:

If you re-read my post... notice no objections to your either "faux pas" or whatever caused your writing 'aircrafts' NO REMARKS ABOUT ANYTHING REGARDING YOU BUT ENCOMIUM FOR YOUR ARTISTRY...
No paternalism either... Just my opinion that if you know better... help every one improve... if in your power... always look for the cloud with the silver linen...THERE WILL BE PENNYS FROM HEAVEN FOR YOU AND ME!
MY OPINION:
Telling you do great art and thanking you for making it available... makes it germane, I think...

If I made anyone feel threatened or embarrassed... my apologies... but a reminder... oftentimes perception of threat are not to attacking lips... rather ... defensive ears...as to the little girl... on the street... I would probably not address any 10 year old on the streets of Oslo... I could be misperceived as a pedophile and end up in jail ... hahahaha

Now, a 35 year old little girl... that's different ... all 4' 11" girls... glad you do speak English... regardless you sky-dived onto the street from whatever "aircrafts" aloft...
Rami...

"if you don't mind... I won't 'mine'...either" most often, attacking words are not due to attacking lips but defensive ears instead...

Talon
October 29th, 2013, 17:32
Morton,

I don't fly many Mustangs but I do appreiate your great work.

As for gaucho_59,

I think he should edit his original post and correct the several errors he made.

gaucho_59
October 29th, 2013, 20:44
Morton,

I don't fly many Mustangs but I do appreiate your great work.

As for gaucho_59,

I think he should edit his original post and correct the several errors he made.

Talon,

Please don't say I should edit my errors... If being helpful is better than being right... Just tell me what the
errors are... be frigging specific... and suggest some remedy... otherwise I am not going to learn "jack" from you... if you want to help ME... pray tell... show me HOW!
Otherwise, it is just a needless comment!

Rami...

I don't want this to turn this into a teenage "p...ssing contest..." but if I have a "sermon on the mount" approach.. what the
"H-E-double toothpics" you think it sounds like when you tell me how to improve my interpersonal skills...
If that is not paternalistic... I really don't know what is...
I am not one of your High School students... but a 76-year professional soldier who has lived through two wars, saved hundreds of lives serving this country ... and, I think, both polite and apologetic..
The purpose of this forum is to help one another... and either honor the extraordinary skills generously offered by Morton... or express constructive criticisms (I essentially did both)
This are my last words on this controversy... Happy trails to all....
( I bear no resentment to anyone who might have felt turned off... and AGAIN.. apologize... I will still accept any other requests for panel creative art elements as I did when you asked me for...

btw... It is Standard American English... and British English... There is no such thing as Continental English... the very idea is an oxymoron... if at all... British English could only be called insular...
Ta ta for now...

bearcat241
October 29th, 2013, 21:39
Oooo-kaaaay...if we're done with the sidebar, let's get back to the thread, shall we? :icon_lol:

Great job Mort, as usual :guinness:~~:icon29:~~:medals:...and you KNOW i'm gonna enjoy adding my "Bearcat" touch to that slick panel, right? ;)

P.S. Oops, i said 'gonna'...i meant "going to" :icon_lol:

msfossey
October 30th, 2013, 09:45
Morton,

These textures are fantastic. I’m sure they represent many hours of work making them look just right. It’s very gracious of you to share your work with us here at the OH and I just wanted to say thank you.

msfossey

Blackbird686
October 30th, 2013, 10:12
Hey Morton --

Beautiful work as always, mate. I assume these will work in FS9 as well, I have the Alphasim P-51D installed there. Your paints for the WoP Fw-190D and the revamped simTECH Do-335 are also very exceptional. :applause:

BB686:USA-flag:

Captain Kurt
October 30th, 2013, 11:25
You know gaucho, this really is not the right forum for your comments, whether you feel justified or not. That's what the Canelo's Cantina forum here at SOH is for. You can spout off about just about anything within the forum rules boundaries there. This thread is to comment specifically on Morton's nice Mustang paint work. And the CFS2 forum is for things related to CFS2. I think we would all be better off if we followed the forum guidelines and then we won't wind up highjacking threads and sidelining the original subjects.

Fair enough all?

BTW thank you for your service, it is appreciated.

kwb737
October 30th, 2013, 14:15
You know gaucho, this really is not the right forum for your comments, whether you feel justified or not. That's what the Canelo's Cantina forum here at SOH is for. You can spout off about just about anything within the forum rules boundaries there. This thread is to comment specifically on Morton's nice Mustang paint work. And the CFS2 forum is for things related to CFS2. I think we would all be better off if we followed the forum guidelines and then we won't wind up highjacking threads and sidelining the original subjects.

Fair enough all?

BTW thank you for your service, it is appreciated.

http://smiley.nowdararpour.ir/banana/27.gif