PDA

View Full Version : WW 2 Photos

UnknownGuest12
October 27th, 2013, 16:49
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/pages/ww2/

Think this may not be the proper fórum for this subject, but want to share this....

Regards

AussieMan
October 27th, 2013, 16:53
Admins, I think this would be more appropriate in either the Newshawks or the Cantina.

Ian Warren
October 27th, 2013, 18:06
They are interesting photos , not ones I've seen before , I do like photo frame No.39
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MCDesigns
October 27th, 2013, 18:22
Great site, thanks for the link!

arfyhun
October 28th, 2013, 11:23
Thank you for posting. Haunting photos.

Graham.

hairyspin
October 28th, 2013, 12:22
Thanks for these Beaufighter! In the middle of these is a section on the internment of Japanese Americans and some of the photos are by the late great Ansel Adams, previously published in his book on the Manzanar internment camp, Born Free and Equal. If you're a fan of his photography (I am) you'll know his stunning Mount Williamson from Manzanar from the same book.

The North Africa campaign photos are of particular interest. :salute:

Helldiver
October 28th, 2013, 13:26
How twisted the war becomes with a few photos. No mention of the cowardly attack on Pearl Harbor, where 2500 people were murdered at the hands in the sneaky Japs. No word of the tragedy of Corregidor or Bataan, or the Phillipine Death March. Nothing is said about the crazy Kamikaze attacks where thousands of my shipmates were killed.
Instead, all I read is about Mazatlan.
My view, having witnessed the war first hand, is quite different from yours.

Skyhawk_310R
October 28th, 2013, 18:46
How twisted the war becomes with a few photos. No mention of the cowardly attack on Pearl Harbor, where 2500 people were murdered at the hands in the sneaky Japs. No word of the tragedy of Corregidor or Bataan, or the Phillipine Death March. Nothing is said about the crazy Kamikaze attacks where thousands of my shipmates were killed.
Instead, all I read is about Mazatlan.
My view, having witnessed the war first hand, is quite different from yours.

Wow! First, there was a photo on the first page of the linked website from Pearl Harbor that took you to many other photos of that seminal event. Second, there was another photo labeled for the Doolittle Raid and various reprisals, and among those photos are some about POW's, including photos that specifically mentioned the Bataan Death March. Third, another link listed photos of the Kamakaze raids.

So frankly, everything you just wrote is not true regarding the linked website. To be honest, it is your call, but I really think an apology is in order here and I ask the staff not to lock the thread due to one mistaken post. I am quite certain this thread remains of acute interest to many here and I don't suspect there shall be a repeat of objectionable inputs.

Ken

Skyhawk_310R
October 28th, 2013, 18:56
BTW: I have not even seen a tenth of the photos provided in that link and many of them I have never seen before and out of outstanding quality. This is one of the best websites for period photos I have ever seen. Thanks for linking this! Most informative!

Ken

Flyboy208
October 28th, 2013, 20:47
I feel strongly that regardless of opinions, a measure of respect should be given to Helldiver ... let's keep it civil ... Mike

hairyspin
October 28th, 2013, 23:09
Helldiver, you are a WW2 veteran and I fully respect that. May I gently suggest you have a look at the linked site? What caught my attention is unimportant, I merely mention it in passing.

KellyB
October 29th, 2013, 05:27
Helldiver, I don't think you took a good look at the available images of the Bataan march and the concentration camps.

Respectfully, and I do mean that, I do not find the site a "whitewash" of the war and all the horrors that came with it. Hairyspin, I believe, was making a comment on photography itself, rather than the actual subject war.

I hope you don't think that any of us here are unaware of the service and heroism of all those who participated in taking down the most evil of empires in modern history and that we do not appreciate what you and your seamates gave up for that.