PDA

View Full Version : Red Baron & Damon Slye Return! Help it Happen

DennyA
October 26th, 2013, 09:06
Those of you who are really old timers will remember the classic early 90s PC sim Red Baron. It followed Aces of the Pacific/Aces over Europe, and was fantastic fun, and also one of the first sims that had really authentic AI behavior. Red Baron II and Red Baron 3D followed with one of the best dynamic campaigns of its era.

Now the original creator, Damon Slye, is back with a Kickstarter to launch a new Red Baron! Check out the details here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron/

And you can get in for just $15!

Another friend mentioned that there's been some of the usual sim community defensiveness about a new sim coming in, with some of the more hardcore the Rise of Flight fans assuming the fact that Slye is focusing on entertainment as well as realism meaning it's an arcade game. Anyone who remembers the old Dynamix sims will know they were an a great mix of entertaining missions and (for the day) realistic environments and performance differences. (RB was one of the first games to properly do turns vs. boom-n-zoom properly -- and that was actually something that just "happened" because they'd coded the performance differences so accurately.)

I really think there's room in the market for a more classic sim approach in addition to the ultra-hardware-realism of what's out there right now. A sim that really focuses on capturing the experience of air combat in addition to just modeling performance and systems properly could do wonders for our genre.

So I hope you'll support Red Baron, and even more, please get the word out to your sim-playing friends, and even better, your lapsed sim-playing friends. The Kickstarter's a bit behind right now and really needs the support of the community. It's the price of taking someone to McDonalds with you -- and it's way better for your health!

Rami
October 26th, 2013, 13:34
Damon,

I'll do my best to contribute something next month...I remember with fondness the Aces over Europe and Aces over the Pacific sims, as well as Red Baron. It's what got me hooked on flight simming before CFS1!

Thanks for all of your efforts, it looks great! :ernae:

Penzoil3
October 27th, 2013, 03:22
Heck, I still have the original CD ! I joined. Hope he succeeds!
:jump:
Sue