PDA

View Full Version : IS THAT DINGLE BAY?

beana51
October 22nd, 2013, 17:21
THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS The movie...Came out in 1957.Its So hard to believe that..56 yrs ago.Older than most simmers here,and I bet Most Simmers Know and love this movie.Back to the making of this movie.Wonder who flew this in the flying shots? We Know James Stewart was a distinguished Bomber Pilot,But I wonder who flew ,and what did they fly?...I will always look at this fine classic,and those who do not know of it should be introduced to it!...Vin<label for="rb_iconid_7">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.png</label>

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/MV5BNjU3MDM5NzA1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM4NzIyMQ_V1_ SX214__zps6513641a.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/MV5BNjU3MDM5NzA1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM4NzIyMQ_V1_ SX214__zps6513641a.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4302_zps240b7088.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4302_zps240b7088.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/screenshot4303_zps6a5ee031.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/beana51/media/screenshot4303_zps6a5ee031.jpg.html)

glh
October 22nd, 2013, 17:42
Great film. I always try to catch it when I see it scheduled somewhere.

IMDB.com lists Stanley Reavis and James Thompson as uncredited pilots. Aerial supervisor was none other than the superb Paul Mantz. The list of cast and crew is believed to be complete.

If I had to guess, I would say Mantz flew the Spirit and the others flew the camera planes for the aerial shots. He usually did the grunt work to make sure the aviation segments came out fine.

TARPSBird
October 23rd, 2013, 01:10
Jimmy Stewart was already kinda old to be playing Lindbergh but he did a great job. You could really feel the fatigue kicking in as he made his way across the pond.

huub vink
October 23rd, 2013, 02:23
Charles Lindbergh was the first to cross the ocean flying solo, but he actually was the 82nd</SPAN> to cross the ocean flying. Eight years before Lindbergh’s flight John Alcock en Arthur Whitten Brown were the first to cross the ocean in a non-stop flight.</SPAN>

Why does everybody knows the name “Lindbergh” and do most people not know the name Arthur Whitten Brown. Isn’t that a bit odd?</SPAN>

But I'm sure the movie contributed to this.....

KellyB
October 23rd, 2013, 04:14
Charles Lindbergh was the first to cross the ocean flying solo, but he actually was the 82nd to cross the ocean flying. Eight years before Lindbergh’s flight John Alcock en Arthur Whitten Brown were the first to cross the ocean in a non-stop flight.

Why does everybody knows the name “Lindbergh” and do most people not know the name Arthur Whitten Brown. Isn’t that a bit odd?

I'll guess his boyishness personality had something to do with his renown, and the first solo also contributed to the coverage. Not to seem foolish, but he also probably had better press agents than Alcock and Whitten Brown. The kidnapping of his child also burned the name into public consciousness.

b52bob
October 23rd, 2013, 07:08
For you avid readers, his "We" is a great read.

Bob

brad kaste
October 23rd, 2013, 07:21
Charles Lindbergh was the first to cross the ocean flying solo, but he actually was the 82nd to cross the ocean flying. Eight years before Lindbergh’s flight John Alcock en Arthur Whitten Brown were the first to cross the ocean in a non-stop flight.

Why does everybody knows the name “Lindbergh” and do most people not know the name Arthur Whitten Brown. Isn’t that a bit odd?

Huub,...you're absolutely correct. Alcock and Brown were the first to fly transatlantic in 1919. In a modified Vickers Vimy. I think,...but I could be wrong,...the reason why Lindbergh has gotten all the accolades cuz' he flew from Long Island, New York to Paris, France. Alcock and Brown flew from Newfoundland to Ireland....maybe because of a 'longer' distance Lindbergh had to fly and Brown and Alcock only flew from 'island to island?' Maybe too is was only Lindbergh flying,...not two pilots in one aircraft.

beana51
October 23rd, 2013, 07:35
[B]Yes "THE LONE EAGLE"...Super Star!. A Young Gangley Kid,An airmail ,stunt Pilot Caught The Worlds attention..Often History Colors Facts..Be It Columbus,or more recently The Wright Bros. Controversy makes life interesting..However once they are accepted as Myths or Heroes its very hard to alter any Beliefs![/

huub vink
October 23rd, 2013, 09:25
Brad,

Lindbergh wasn't the 3rd or 4th, he was the 82nd! Alcock and Brown had already proven it could be done non stop in a bomber which was designed in 1917 (and in half the time)! And in those day 10 years of technical development in aviation must have been a huge step. But also a whole airship had already crossed the ocean non-stop with over 20 "normal" passengers.

BTW Alock and Brown were the first to cross the ocean non stop. An even less know American had crossed the Atlantic Ocean already before them in stages flying a Curtiss flying boat, however he need 23 days.

As already said by KellyB there must have been other things contributing to his fame and one of them must have been a very good press agent.

Cheers,
Huub

CWOJackson
October 23rd, 2013, 11:16
Besides being the first solo flight, the fact that it was a flight of 33 hours and 30 minutes is memorable in it's own right.

I can't imagine what 33.5 hours in that cockpit must have been like.

huub vink
October 23rd, 2013, 13:27
Is the fact he did it alone really that important? Personally I think he did quite a job, but he is often seen as the first person who crossed the Atlantic Ocean by plane. So there must be reason why people think this. And I wonder what this reason is and why and how it is supported.
In my opinion, by supporting this myth, you don't do enough justice to those who were really the first to cross the ocean in a non-stop flight.

And about the cockpit, just a poor design. Cockpits without frontal view were hardly built after this one. Mr Lindbergh should have taken the originally planned Wright-Bellanca WB-2.

Cheers,
Huub

CWOJackson
October 23rd, 2013, 18:26
Is the fact he did it alone really that important? Personally I think he did quite a job, but he is often seen as the first person who crossed the Atlantic Ocean by plane. So there must be reason why people think this. And I wonder what this reason is and why and how it is supported.
In my opinion, by supporting this myth, you don't do enough justice to those who were really the first to cross the ocean in a non-stop flight.

And about the cockpit, just a poor design. Cockpits without frontal view were hardly built after this one. Mr Lindbergh should have taken the originally planned Wright-Bellanca WB-2.

Cheers,
Huub

Perhaps it is misleading to simply say that Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic solo. In fact, he was the first to fly non-stop from New York to Paris. That was the whole purpose of the Orteig Prize which was open to all allied aviators, whether they flew it solo or as part of a crew. His decision to fly it solo, which was a successful strategy, simply added the distinction of being first to fly the Atlantic solo.

As to regarding the publicity and resulting place in history, perhaps we should look more at Raymond Orteig and the newspapers then at Lindbergh. Orteig is the one who established the attention getting prize and it was the newspapers of the period that made it into the historical event most people remember.

pfflyers
October 24th, 2013, 07:53
Certainly the public in France and the U.S. at the time thought it was a big deal; look at the crowds that greeted him when he landed and the ticker-tape parade he got when he arrived home. The fame he gained from that has lasted to this day. I think a lot of the non-aviation public can be forgiven for not knowing the real story given the legend that was created around Lindbergh.

Roger55
October 24th, 2013, 13:56

When I did it, I hit land off the south coast of Ireland. Nowhere near Dingle Bay. I blame it on the sheep who stowed away:sheep:! I used to have a picture of him being carried off the field in Paris.

FS2004s model of that Ryan is pure misery to "fly." If it's anywhere near the real thing, you have to give Lindy credit for endurance.

The film your talking about was made to reabilitate Lindberg whose reputation suffered from his pre WW2 "activities." The book by the same name as the film was written with the same purpose. The author of that book was not the same man who wrote _We_ the original book. The drama I suspect is Ann Marrow's hand.

I saw the film in a theater in 1957 with my dad. Stewart spent the 50's playing young as his female co-stars from the period demonstrate.

Roger55

Beware the Stork!