PDA

View Full Version : My Old New PC

bobhegf
October 21st, 2013, 09:52
I just got off the phone with the people that are helping me rebuild my old pc and I would like your opinion on what will be going into it.

I am using an Old Dell XPS 420Tower, I am not sure about the type of motherboard but I am assured it is a good one. I have decided on a Nvidia GT640 graphics card with 2 gigs of ram, 800watt power unit, i7 Quad Core 3.4GHz that will expand to 3.9GHz processer and will decide on the add fans if needed. I will also be adding more ram as needed. My sound and graphics card are expansion cards.

bobhegf
October 21st, 2013, 15:00
Fellows how well do you think it will play CFS2?

misson
October 21st, 2013, 16:32
Fellows how well do you think it will play CFS2? better than mine!:icon30:

Allen
October 21st, 2013, 17:38
better than mine!:icon30:

Same.

Talon
October 21st, 2013, 18:22
I have a Nvidia GT630 graphics card with 2gigs ram

i7 Quad Core 3.4GHz

power supply 460 watts-will upgrade soon.

16 gugs of RAM.

CFS2 flies very well with everything maxed after tweeking the video card. Best fps ( doubled and tripled ) I ever got in any of the flight simulators I fly.

Devildog73
October 22nd, 2013, 11:58
I have upgraded Dell 410 XPS.

I have nVidia GT6800 vid card with 1 GB RAM, Diamond audio 7.1 sound card, 6 GB System RAM, Intel 2.4 GB CPU, Windows 7X64 on one 7200RPM HD and Windows 7X32 on another 7200RPM HD.

I don't have any problems running CFS2 maxed out on all options, until I get too many aircraft, too many flak explosions, too many ground and ship targets all in the same area. Even then, I get down to about 16fps for only a few seconds, then back up to 24 to 90.

I view anything over 30 as unnecessary.

Rami can tell you from testing my missions, sometimes he has had to back me off of too many planes in the air or too many ground objects.

AND, I am thinking about building my own next flight sim PC with faster CPU, faster 3D vid card, faster sound card, and more system RAM.

All in all, I think yours as stated will eat CFS2 for breakfast without even a burp, let alone no belches.

Ettico
October 22nd, 2013, 13:40
I recently purchased a HP Pavilion, Windows 8, 8 G RAM, Intel i3 3.4 GHz processor. I thought it would eat CFS2 for breakfast. It runs CFS3 and FS9 like a champ - 60 fps maxed out.

But it's a bit of a dog with CFS2. Frame rates are on the slow side of my older Toshiba laptop, and it keeps dropping infrastructure textures. I'll probably end up having to convert all my infrastructure textures to 16-bit 565 format. It doesn't lose track of those.

My original plan was to order a custom gaming rig, but I saw this HP at Walmart. It seemed to have everything the gaming rig I was planning to order would have had. But maybe not. Seems the better my computers get, the less they like CFS2.

But it does smoke CFS3 and FS9.

Edit: I seem to have mostly cured the texture-dropping problem by setting minimum frame rates to 20. Everything else is pretty much maxed out, since backing off does nothing to improve frame rates.

bobhegf
October 22nd, 2013, 15:45
Ettico, what do you have your CFS2 screen resolution set at? I was having a real hard time running CFS2 On a large screen 75Hz moniter but when I used my old 60Hz screen set at 1024x768x32 My frame rates improved a great deal.

Ettico
October 22nd, 2013, 18:19
Ettico, what do you have your CFS2 screen resolution set at? I was having a real hard time running CFS2 On a large screen 75Hz moniter but when I used my old 60Hz screen set at 1024x768x32 My frame rates improved a great deal.

Hi Bob,

I have it at 1366x768x16. It hung up when I tried 1024x768. It's very picky about screen resolution. I don't know what the rules are on that. All I know is if I pick the wrong resolution it hangs up.

I use 16 bit instead of 32 bit only because my eurotargets don't flicker in 16 bit. Other than that, there is no difference in frame rates, irrespective of screen setting.

I'm using a PC compatible 17x9 flat screen TV as a monitor. It's limited to 60Hz. I have a computer monitor in my closet that offers higher Hz settings, but I haven't found that to make any difference in the past. But I'll give it a test run.

The frame rates aren't that bad. I can fly pretty heavy missions with it. It slows down to 10-12 under a heavy load, but it still runs smoothly. I think it's been mentioned that CFS2 is not designed to take advantage of multi-core processors.