PDA

View Full Version : Flying Stations Buccaneer S2 out now

kilo delta
October 16th, 2013, 15:19
http://store.payloadz.com/details/1830463-software-games-fsx_buccaneer_s2_pack.html

Downloading now but it'll be the weekend before I get to test it.:(

:)

kilo delta
October 16th, 2013, 15:31
Just noticed that XV863 is included! :applause:

DennyA
October 16th, 2013, 18:50
Only $15? Buying this weekend when I have time to play it, unless you guys say it makes your computer explode or something. Nice!

noddy
October 16th, 2013, 21:22
Will get it at the weekend.:jump:

delta_lima
October 16th, 2013, 21:46
Only $15? Buying this weekend when I have time to play it, unless you guys say it makes your computer explode or something. Nice!

Comparable FPS wise with their S.1. Many more options for weapons/stores - and what truly made my day - the recce pod!

Only had literally 10 min to do a quick hop - superb so far - many thanks Skippy, Fraser, and company!

DL

dhazelgrove
October 16th, 2013, 23:53
At last, the definitive Banana Bomber. Feared by F-4 crews the world over.

Only USD15? A bargain.

The S2 used the same offset TACAN and strip ASI as fitted to the later Lightnings.

Dave

Bjoern
October 17th, 2013, 07:54
Feared by F-4 crews the world over.

Because they fly so low that the APQ-72/AWG-10B has trouble picking them up?

dhazelgrove
October 17th, 2013, 08:35
Because they fly so low that the APQ-72/AWG-10B has trouble picking them up?

No. It's because being 'bounced' by a Banana Bomber and having your photo taken as proof resulted in a huge increase in the cost of your mess bill - not to mention the embarrassment of having to admit that you had a Mk.1 eyeball failure (your eyes were shut).

Dave

SkippyBing
October 17th, 2013, 10:25
Shockingly, despite checking about three times, because I'd noticed it earlier, there's a slight issue with the installer. For some reason there's a texture missing from the S2D paint which makes the armament panel look odd, the solution is to copy the Cockpit01.dds from texture.Granby to texture.809R.

I'll attempt to update the download tonight.

Bjoern
October 17th, 2013, 10:57
No. It's because being 'bounced' by a Banana Bomber and having your photo taken as proof resulted in a huge increase in the cost of your mess bill - not to mention the embarrassment of having to admit that you had a Mk.1 eyeball failure (your eyes were shut).

Sounds cool, is that documented somewhere?

Motormouse
October 17th, 2013, 14:00
At last, the definitive Banana Bomber. Feared by F-4 crews the world over.

Only USD15? A bargain.

The S2 used the same offset TACAN and strip ASI as fitted to the later Lightnings.

Dave

Was called IFIS, integrated flight instrumentation system.

Long before EFIS lol!

Ttfn

Pete

( former q-ABC-a Bucc fixer!)

DaveQ
October 18th, 2013, 05:40
What have I missed in the manual? Ctl.+E won't start it and neither will the starter button. Is there an EPU switch I can't find?? It's showing on external view. Have to fire up the Viggi first, select the Bucc and then go fly. All very embarassing!

DaveQ (or DIM for short:kilroy:!!)

WarHorse47
October 18th, 2013, 06:50
It's funny how a new product will have you digging into FSX settings when things are not as expected.

I've taken about seven short flights so far to figure things out, and to be honest I'm not even sure how I got the jet started on a couple of occasions. But once started its fun to fly.

The first thing I fixed was my throttle sensitivity. I was only getting a range between 4% and 96%, and thought it was preventing me from a cold startup. That's now fixed, but just in case make sure your throttles are at 0% before going through the startup procedures.

What seems to work for me is to hit Ctrl-Shift-F4 to make sure the Mixture is at full rich. Yeah, I know this is a jet but it did give me a clean, cold startup from there.

The only other quirk I've noticed are the avionics. I have to use a hotkey to turn them on. Related to that the COM1 seems to hang from time to time. I just finished a flight to KBFI and when acknowledging Ground Control to taxi, the radio did not respond when I selected the 1 (one) key. It eventually did return, but I noticed the same issue in earlier flights when trying to contact the tower to land. Not sure if its the a/c or something else more in general, so it's time for more experimenting. Weird.

Bjoern
October 18th, 2013, 07:08
What seems to work for me is to hit Ctrl-Shift-F4 to make sure the Mixture is at full rich. Yeah, I know this is a jet but it did give me a clean, cold startup from there.

This seems to be a common bug as I get it with other add-ons as well.

SkippyBing
October 18th, 2013, 07:44

I'll check that out, the S1 had some xml code to prevent that but it was pointed out that it was event flooding, I may have been over enthusiastic in fixing it! I think the starter buttons set the mixture to full auto-magically, although you'll have to move the eye point around a bit to find them thanks to the 'ergonomics' of the Bucc's cockpit.

fsafranek
October 18th, 2013, 07:51
$15US is a great price for a brand new model. Wanted to
look first at the pilot's notes pdf file but the link is broken. :kilroy:
:ernae:

SkippyBing
October 18th, 2013, 08:25
Good spot, I'll see if we can get it sorted.

bruce448
October 18th, 2013, 08:27
A work in progress

XW988 belonged to RAE West Freugh, the scheme depicted shows the aircraft in the RAE colours prior to going to the Raspberry Ripple scheme.

West Freugh had 3 Buccs in their inventory especially built for test use. These aircraft kept the small S1 type bomb bays and no facility for IFR.

http://s16.postimg.org/amw4cpiph/2013_10_18_17_2_53_75.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/x03uzijn9/2013_10_18_17_12_23_862.jpg

Bruce

JohnC
October 18th, 2013, 10:16
I took her out for a quick flight yesterday and had some strange problems. (beautiful bird!)

(All problems were with hardware lever input)
- Speed brake axis was inverted, but functioned normally otherwise.
- Flap axis was mostly normal, except that flaps were fully closed at ~15% position, and full down at both 0% and 100% positions
- Ele Trim axis was inverted, except above ~%90 nose up (input) it switched from nose down output to 100% nose up output and caused an almost immediate stall.

Also, for one of the three sessions the master caution went off, but wouldn't clear even when all the individual lights on the MCP were off (and I was pressing C). Very cool change in pitch on the master caution alarm though!

Kindest Regards,
John

P.S. Slick repaint Bruce!

SkippyBing
October 18th, 2013, 11:03
I took her out for a quick flight yesterday and had some strange problems. (beautiful bird!)

- Flap axis was mostly normal, except that flaps were fully closed at ~15% position, and full down at both 0% and 100% positions
- Ele Trim axis was inverted, except above ~%90 nose up (input) it switched from nose down output to 100% nose up output and caused an almost immediate stall.

Also, for one of the three sessions the master caution went off, but wouldn't clear even when all the individual lights on the MCP were off (and I was pressing C). Very cool change in pitch on the master caution alarm though!

Kindest Regards,
John

Hmm, not sure what's up with the speed brake as that's a direct read from the control axis.

The flaps go in steps and there's a bit of behind the scenes work going on to match up the lift increase with the various combinations of flap and aileron droop you can set, hence fully closed by ~15%. However it sounds like it may be reading some sort of wrap round when the axis gets to 0%, have you tried assigning them to a different axis to see if it's caused by the controller? I'll have to check the logic in the code to see if I did something stupid, although it hasn't changed since the S1.

If you're having issues with the elevator trim, open the loading panel and click one of the arrows in the top left corner, it should now say FSUIPC instead of FSX. This basically sends the input direct to FSX rather than scaling it in the gauge to emulate the change in tail effectiveness as the flap goes up. It says FSUIPC as I know some users of that have issues if a gauge intercepts axis it's already controlling.

Motormouse
October 18th, 2013, 12:27
A work in progress

XW988 belonged to RAE West Freugh, the scheme depicted shows the aircraft in the RAE colours prior to going to the Raspberry Ripple scheme.

West Freugh had 3 Buccs in their inventory especially built for test use. These aircraft kept the small S1 type bomb bays and no facility for IFR.

Bruce

Actually you mean non tanked bomb door, the carrying capacity for munitions was same.

Flight refuelling probe was a bolt-on.

We used to keep a few slick doors for emergency replacement when the tanked doors leaked fuel.!

XN 974 was last Bucc I worked, a Bae/Rae test hack from West Freugh.

Ttfn

Pete

YoYo
October 18th, 2013, 12:30
19 posts and no any VC picture :kilroy: ? It will be nice to compare with free Buccaneer S.2 of UKMIL - http://www.rikoooo.com/en/downloads/viewdownload/65/532 .

Bests!

peter12213
October 18th, 2013, 14:12
As an avid S.1 fan and having known not to try a ski jump with a "heavy" load shall we say.. I'm now looking forward to much more thrust with the Spey's. Many thanks to The Flying Stations Guys and all that took part! If I can say one thing is that tonight I'm posting now with the New S.2 on the catapult, (paused fsx but ready to go), I've got that buzz that we get from a new bird, and If "Rich" is up there then this is for you mate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8prm4mGEQ

Best 2nd gen Low level tactical nuclear bomber ever, Thank you Flying Stations, one and all! :salute::applause::icon29:

.. Shall post results!

SkippyBing
October 18th, 2013, 14:22

Kindest Regards,
John

If you re-download the installer, I've updated the gauge that controls the trim axis. Mostly by adding a minus sign...

JohnC
October 18th, 2013, 19:15
Those darn polarities!

:ernae:

Lionheart
October 18th, 2013, 22:25
Ive never seen one of these. Wild...

Any screenshots of the panel?

hschuit
October 19th, 2013, 00:46
Ive never seen one of these. Wild...
Any screenshots of the panel?

Here you go. The VC looks good and has lots of functional gauges and switches. One of the features which I like a lot is the ADD system which produces audio tones linked to the AoA indicator lights! I think $15 is a bargain for this model.

Lionheart
October 19th, 2013, 09:40
Very nice. Many thanks for the screenshots.

Looks like a fun bird to fly.

jetstreamsky
October 19th, 2013, 19:11
Nice little video of the Buccaneer strutting it's stuff at Red Flag

http://youtu.be/AuYwOEF5xag

HighGround22
October 20th, 2013, 11:58
Back around 1983, I was Airboss aboard HMCS Margaree, a Canadian DDH (ASW-helo-carrying destroyer). While working with the NATO Squadron, StaNavForLant (aka "Stanley Foreskin"), I would often hang around the Ship's bridge and pilotage during my non-flying hours. I found I could learn useful things while watching the "Fish-Heads" playing their part in the ongoing War Games.

One of my strongest and fondest memories of those times, was when our vessels were transiting between the Shetlands and the Orkneys, and we came "under attack" by Buccaneers out of Lossimouth. The aircraft were detected to our rear, and they quickly closed towards our "six", weaving back and forth in what I thought at first were purely evasive manoeuvres, but always managing to stay at our Six.

And it soon became aparent that part of *our* tactic was to turn to bring our forward guns to bear, so as to augment the aft gun. But those clever guys in the Bucc's just kept swinging to limit our firepower to the aft gun only. Pure magic to watch these huge, fast "smoking" aircraft cranking large bank angles at such low, low altitudes -- usually 100 to 200 feet! Best noisy, smoky "airshow" I ever saw!

I've always harboured a fondness for "functionally beautiful" aircraft, and Blackburn's Buccaneer kinda epitomizes that definition, I think. Y'know, with that big, beefy landing gear and the big "barn" gear doors to go with them. And that "pregnant" bulge in the after fuselage, to say nothing of those huge, air-brake doors. It made for a really *solid* looking aerodyne!

But enough of my nostalgic babbling. My chief reason for this post is that I stumbled across this rather interesting video on YouTube regarding the history of this lovely aircraft. Worth watching, methinks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46a-7N_13Sk

A tad lengthy, but interesting nevertheless.

Motormouse
October 20th, 2013, 12:58
Another one to check out is the video from Operation Pulsator; when the Bucc's flew down the streets of Beirut :0
It could fly higher (and lower) than its eventual replacement, the Tornado GR1, and with a higher cruise speed and lower fuel burn, true it was a lump of an aeroplane 63,000lbs max all-up weight; best aeroplane I ever worked on so far.

That bomb bay was very versatile; you could add extra fuel tanks for range or capable buddy tanker; or fit a range of stowage crates
to fly useful things around in while still maintaining use of wing stations (remembering to inhibit bomb door operation !!)

ttfn

Pete

jetstreamsky
October 20th, 2013, 13:40
................ I stumbled across this rather interesting video on YouTube regarding the history of this lovely aircraft. Worth watching, methinks:

Fascinating, thanks for posting the link

Nice in flight shot with Sea vixens towards the end and that last scene, well that says it all :salute:

Bjoern
October 21st, 2013, 03:42
But enough of my nostalgic babbling. My chief reason for this post is that I stumbled across this rather interesting video on YouTube regarding the history of this lovely aircraft. Worth watching, methinks:

Aaaaand there goes my "Business French" homework...

spatialpro
October 21st, 2013, 11:32
I can highly recommend this one!!! :mixedsmi:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7369/10408977683_0ac02a423d_o.jpg

sketchy
October 21st, 2013, 14:17
I can highly recommend this one!!! :mixedsmi:

What no Photo Recce Pod pics Airtrooper? :)

HighGround22
October 22nd, 2013, 07:16
Another one to check out is the video from Operation Pulsator; when the Bucc's flew down the streets of Beirut . . . .

Pete

Pete, Mon Vieux!

I've been looking high and low for such a video, but cannot seem to put a finger on it (them?). Can you possibly give us a steer to the link for the video you describe?

Sounds most tantalizing, after reading through the short write-ups on the incident.

IanHenry
October 23rd, 2013, 02:23
At the risk of going off topic (because there's no Buccaneer's on it) there's a marvellous film of 60's Royal Navy aviation here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzRtOuj5GQ

Ian.

Bjoern
October 23rd, 2013, 04:07
At the risk of going off topic (because there's no Buccaneer's on it) there's a marvellous film of 60's Royal Navy aviation here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzRtOuj5GQ

Nice music.

The liberal use of single-use steel cables just for launching aircraft is simply mind boggling...

HighGround22
October 24th, 2013, 05:31
. . . The liberal use of single-use steel cables just for launching aircraft is simply mind boggling . . . .

Yeah, the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) -- back when we had such expensive things as carriers -- modeled itself after the RN, right down to those single-use cables going to waste after each and every launch.

As a First-Timer aboard the ship during air ops, probably my very first WTF? moment was seeing all those cables splashing into the sea! If ever there was a simple problem in need of a fix, that was it.

After all, even the Murikens aren't so profligate, are they!?!

I often imagined an exchange like this, after some important battle had been lost:

Board of Enquiry: "Well Captain, were your aircraft serviceable?"
Skipper: "Yes. All were ready to go."
BoE: "Did you have sufficient fuel and armaments?"
Skipper: "Yes, plenty of both."
BoE: "Then why f'god's sake did you NOT launch your aircraft!?!"
Skipper: "Well . . . y'see . . . it seems we had freshly run out of launch cables during our last training exercise,
so we had to leave them sitting on the deck."

Bjoern
October 24th, 2013, 10:19
After all, even the Murikens aren't so profligate, are they!?!

They were. At least until the F-14, A-7 and A-6 were introduced.

spatialpro
October 27th, 2013, 05:31
What no Photo Recce Pod pics Airtrooper? :)

LOL! Here you go...

Absolutely LOVING having the camera crate (no pod needed ;)) with this model! http://ronaldwilsher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Camera-Smiley-RonaldWilsher.com_.gif

SkippyBing
October 27th, 2013, 06:11
Nice music.

The liberal use of single-use steel cables just for launching aircraft is simply mind boggling...

It is until you look at the cost of a whole sortie and realise it's a rounding error! Around the early '60s HMS Victorious briefly gained a system for retaining them, basically a second shuttle behind the first which had a rope tied to the cable, this then got removed for reasons I've never learnt. Subsequently when Ark Royal underwent her refit to operate Phantoms a revised system was fitted to both catapults, around the same time the US carriers also started having them fitted. There's an RN video somewhere on deck operations that states you'd get 20 launches from a cable before it was considered used up at which point they'd just let it fly off the end. The catcher seems to have resulted in an extension beyond the flight deck for those catapults that had them.

Bjoern
October 28th, 2013, 06:18
There's an RN video somewhere on deck operations that states you'd get 20 launches from a cable before it was considered used up at which point they'd just let it fly off the end.

Well, it's still better than 20 cables for 20 launches. ;)

delta_lima
October 28th, 2013, 07:47
Well, it's still better than 20 cables for 20 launches. ;)

No, actually, because with reusing them likely comes with an ever-escalating risk of failure at launch. On certain aircraft, where the lift/thrust/launch force parameters were as narrow as the Bucc S.1, the risk to lose an aircraft and likely the crew on a partial catapult launch over a silly cable is nonsensical. USN and others navies' records from the 50s to the 70s are replete with cases of aircraft and crew losses from "cold" shots and other catapult related failures.

As Skippy pointed out, in light of the other consumables, the launch cables would have been an insignificant factor.

Anyway, as regards the S.2, I'm stoked to see such a "rich" breadth of model and loadout options. A question - in the 5 minutes I had to look at this model since buying it, I noticed that the arrestor hook and wing fold didn't appear to work on the RAF models. That would make sense, of course, historically. But if, for my own enjoyment, I'd like to activate those on the non-RN models, is the logic built in to the panel, and redirecting the aircraft.cfg "panel =" to the naval versions' panel? Or is the wing-fold and hook "hard coded" to be off in the RAF/SAAF models?

thanks,

PS - looking forward to Bruce's repaints (mentioned over at the Flying Stations boards). Indeed, any repaint for this lovely lady will be avidly appreciated. Can't wait for work to quieten down so I can get some decent flying time in her! :)

Bjoern
October 28th, 2013, 08:10
No, actually, because with reusing them likely comes with an ever-escalating risk of failure at launch. On certain aircraft, where the lift/thrust/launch force parameters were as narrow as the Bucc S.1, the risk to lose an aircraft and likely the crew on a partial catapult launch over a silly cable is nonsensical. USN and others navies' records from the 50s to the 70s are replete with cases of aircraft and crew losses from "cold" shots and other catapult related failures.

Despite all the risks from cable fatigue or cold launches, I still think it was a bloody silly idea.

SkippyBing
October 28th, 2013, 11:53
Despite all the risks from cable fatigue or cold launches, I still think it was a bloody silly idea.

Yeah, what's a few dead aircrew when you can save cables!

I noticed that the arrestor hook and wing fold didn't appear to work on the RAF models.

Odd, they should do, I'll double check, the only thing that shouldn't work is the launch assist as the strop points and hold back were deleted during the conversion process. I mean by BAe not me!

SkippyBing
October 28th, 2013, 13:24
Hmm, the wing fold on the RAF version only seems to work if you use the lever in the VC (on the right hand console in the front cockpit) and you're right about the tailhook, which is odd as I know it worked earlier! I'll have a play around and see what's happened there.

delta_lima
October 28th, 2013, 14:30
Thanks Skip.

Would love to be able to have both the wing fold and hook work on all models - ideally using the FSX commands, but worst case, using VC switches would be fine too.

Blue skies and lots of launch cables ...

DL

bruce448
November 6th, 2013, 13:12
Here are a couple of paints for the S2 in RAE West Freugh colours, these paints are for the latest build of the Buccaneer Version 2.1 released 6th November2013

XW986
http://s7.postimg.org/dhsmi6etn/2013_11_6_21_43_51_244.jpg

XW988
http://s7.postimg.org/bajsgik5n/2013_11_6_21_41_3_311.jpg

You can get them at the link below

RAE Bucc S2 Pair link (http://www.mediafire.com/download/2x72cuuzaxskhvm/RAE_Bucc_Pair.zip)

Bruce

WarHorse47
November 6th, 2013, 13:31
Wow. Great. Thanks Bruce. :ernae:

SkippyBing
November 6th, 2013, 13:32
Just to clarify the latest build of the installer fixes an issue with the mapping on the wing vortex generators where they were on the wrong wings. Download links from the original purchase should still work, if not drop us an e-mail.

WarHorse47
November 6th, 2013, 13:56
Just to clarify the latest build of the installer fixes an issue with the mapping on the wing vortex generators where they were on the wrong wings. Download links from the original purchase should still work, if not drop us an e-mail.PM sent as I don't have a direct e-mail address for you or Steve. Thanks.

paul day
November 6th, 2013, 22:52
Love the new repaints Bruce.I don,t know if you do requests but I would love a repaint of a 237 OCU and a 208 Squadron aircraft circa 1980's.

Regards Paul Day.
ex 208 Sqn Rigger.

Chris Sykes
November 7th, 2013, 05:56
is anyone planning on repainting the later grey schemes and the Red Flag Desert scheme?

delta_lima
December 3rd, 2014, 21:42
Been flying this "lovely" bird again - what a joy to fly.

is anyone planning on repainting the later grey schemes and the Red Flag Desert scheme?

In case anyone was wondering- Red Flag and late grey paints were released here:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Flying_Stations/index.php?showtopic=359&st=15

Finally, it being winter and all - thought I'd post this lovely real world scheme ...

http://www.cmrmodels.co.uk/cmr72-5156/cmr72-5156_13_s.jpg

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/plazzdaman/media/XV160/XV160208SqnGooseBay24-Apr-77.jpg.html

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2401-2500/rev2456-ModelAlliance-MA72177/11.shtm

Thanks Flying Stations for this great model and the wonderful repainters for their excellent work.

Cheers,

DL