PDA

View Full Version : ford tri-motor at Barrett-jackson

Daveroo
January 16th, 2009, 15:49
lot 1207 on saturday will be a ford trimotor...lookin forward to how much this goes for...

Lionheart
January 16th, 2009, 16:25
Yikes....! Is it here in Phoenix/Scottsdale? I would like to see that baby...

Bill

Terry
January 17th, 2009, 02:31
No, its in S. Carolina. They had a preview for the bidders to visit the plane a week ago. It will be live on the Speed channel and on Speedtv.com. There are other aircraft besides the Ford that are on site.

Drake
January 17th, 2009, 10:13
Saw it yesterday on there, looks impressive. Myself I'de rather have one of those 55-57 Thunderbirds that went on the block yesterday.

Allen
January 17th, 2009, 18:13
It's going on the block right now!:woot:

Allen
January 17th, 2009, 18:20
Sold $1.100.000

Drake
January 17th, 2009, 18:23
That was a steal. That Pratt guy must be loaded.

Daveroo
January 17th, 2009, 18:28
i like ron pratt..but kind of a shame he bought it...wont be seen for along time now...and he has the super corsair??

cheezyflier
January 17th, 2009, 19:17
i never understood what it was that everyone likes so much about the tri-motor. it looks like a flying shed.

luckydog
January 17th, 2009, 20:35
i never understood what it was that everyone likes so much about the tri-motor. it looks like a flying shed.

That's why I like it !!

Lionheart
January 17th, 2009, 23:57
My sister was on the phone with me. She was there and was watching the bidding, I could hear it in the background.. Finally sold. I heard the mallet hit, 'Sold... 1.1 Mil!'

What a piece of history. Those were the Boeing 737's of yesteryear. Amazing aircraft. Horrible that there arent anymore around except for a very few...

Bill

FAC257
January 18th, 2009, 02:52
It's probably been at least 9 or 10 years, but there used to be one that would make it's rounds and you could take a ride in it. It would fly into one of the local airports and they advertised it as "The World's Oldest Flying Airliner".

I never went up in it, but did go watch it take-off and land a few times. My lasting impression was that it didn't look like it was going fast enough to actually fly when it took off.

Lionheart
January 18th, 2009, 06:25
When dad was a young boy, he had to fly from Michigan to Louisianna once. They put him on an airliner, the modern day, comfortable, luxurious Ford Tri-Motor.

After landing, the pilot introduced his co-pilot, a guest on board, the famous Amelia Earhardt. He said she had flown the plane the entire time. Dads first time to fly and to see one of his fave hero's, a national icon back then.

:faint:

Bill

Daveroo
January 18th, 2009, 07:43
When dad was a young boy, he had to fly from Michigan to Louisianna once. They put him on an airliner, the modern day, comfortable, luxurious Ford Tri-Motor.

After landing, the pilot introduced his co-pilot, a guest on board, the famous Amelia Earhardt. He said she had flown the plane the entire time. Dads first time to fly and to see one of his fave hero's, a national icon back then.

Bill
very cool bill....the one that was in the TAT colors awhile back that crashed...if i remember correctly..was a recreation. would come up here once a year and give rides..it would over fly my house on the return trip ..it was over flying folsom lake ( and the "famous" folsom prison)and then up the canyon for a look at the forest hill bridge..which is the highest in california..3rd highest in n the USA..WONDERFULL sound it made and looked like it was "crawling" through the sky

Odie
January 18th, 2009, 08:16

Bill

Bill, now THAT is a story to be passed through the ages ! That is so cool ! See, that's what makes SOH so special is this type of tidbit that you'll pick up just perusing a post ! Thanks much for sharing, my friend.:ernae:

Bomber_12th
January 18th, 2009, 10:24
I saw it as well...I think Ron Pratt spent over $3 million yesterday on rare cars and the Tri-Motor! The unfortunate thing is that he doesn't have a museum open to the public. The particular Tri-Motor that Ron Pratt purchased is a Pearl Harbor survivor, having been on the island when the attack happened. He recently purchased the F2G Super Corsair "Race 57" from Bob Odegaard as well, Bob stating that the offer was too good to pass up, however Bob will still be flying it, and hopefully will continue to bring it to Oshkosh. Bob also has F2G "Race 74" which he expects to have flying by late summer of this year, and an F4U-4 which will be getting full attention after the F2G is finished.